Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
So, Who Has This Album?
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 2, 2013 08:53

I'm starting my "Solo Stones" collection. I have all of Keith's albums, but tomorrow I am going to search for a Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood and Mick Jagger album. Which of theirs should one start out with?

Re: So, Who Has This Album?
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 2, 2013 08:55

Ronnie, Gimmie Some Neck

Date: July 2, 2013 08:57

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2013 08:58

First two of Ronnies

I've Got My Own album To Do ......Now Look

ROCKMAN

Date: July 2, 2013 09:02

Rockman
First two of Ronnies

I've Got My Own album To Do ......Now Look

I've seen you pass on Neck before....personal thing? Just curious. I think his first three are real close.

Date: July 2, 2013 09:09

....more soul in them first two .... but Neck is good ...

ROCKMAN

Date: July 2, 2013 09:10

Fair enough. I feel like Ronnie's stuff is music for musicians. Long intros, weird middle 8's and such.

I really love We All Get Old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 09:13 by Thrylan.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 2, 2013 09:39

Jamming With Edward.

All the others are derivatives of this masterpiece.

Date: July 2, 2013 10:51

JohnnyBGoode

I'm starting my "Solo Stones" collection. I have all of Keith's albums, but tomorrow I am going to search for a Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood and Mick Jagger album. Which of theirs should one start out with?

Ronnie's I've got my own album to do, Now look and Slide On This. Get the Barbarians-albums too: Kilburn and Largo, both live. I like the latter better than Gimme Some Neck (many of the same songs), which is ruined by horrible production and mixing, imo.

Mick's Wandering spirit is great as well.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 2, 2013 17:18

JohnnyBGoode

Solo Mick? Wandering Spirit by a mile.

Bill's Monkey Grip clip is as cheesy as it gets. The whole disc has a cheerful, polished Ringo-album quality to it, and yet the bluegrass song "Pussy" stands alone, sounding more alert and alive than any track found on the IORR album that same year.

You'll find some great songs by Ronnie scattered through various records, but as far as his most consistent album, my vote is for Now Look.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 2, 2013 17:49

Ronnie.. all albums
Mick taylor...all
Jagger.. wandering spirit and the bootleg one with the red devils
Bill Wyman... the first 2
Keith.. all and the ones with the wingless angels
Charlie... the one with Jim keltner

Jeroen

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 2, 2013 18:02

All worth having. That said, as time goes on, Ronnie's Now Look is probably emerging as the best of the lot. Depends what you are after. I like Charlie's jazz CD's with Bernard, nice music.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 2, 2013 18:54

JohnnyBGoode

Does Bill really play the piano on this? He ain't bad. Those 70s dancers are a bit risqué for this day and age. Notice Bill can't help taking a peek at the one near him. This must have been on a UK TV show. I don't think he ever promoted it here in the States. It is difficult to listen to him as a lead vocalist, but Ronnie stinks too.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:10

I bought Monkey Grip as a teen when I loved anything Stones related. The album is far from great, but charming. It certainly is much better than all the electronic stuff Wyman did in the eighties.Start with "Gimme some Neck" (Wood), "Watts at Scott's", and I believe the Watts-Keltner project is very entertaining. Wandering Spirit is a fantastic album!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:10

Ronnie's first one and Mick Taylor's eponymous album are the best two, imo, even better than Talk Is Cheap, which I rank at #3. Ronnie's other ones are way down the list for me compared to IGMOATD.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 2, 2013 19:44

24FPS

Does Bill really play the piano on this? He ain't bad. Those 70s dancers are a bit risqué for this day and age. Notice Bill can't help taking a peek at the one near him. This must have been on a UK TV show. I don't think he ever promoted it here in the States. It is difficult to listen to him as a lead vocalist, but Ronnie stinks too.

Bill is "playing piano" in the same way that Mick T. plays piano on one of the "Angie" videos the year before, and the way Brian played piano on LSTNT on the Ed Sullivan show.

William Smith played piano on the record. And Lowell George plays lead guitar!

Those clips were done in the U.S. for either Don Kirshner's Rock Concert or Midnight Special (the fake applause sounds like the Kirshner show to me). The LA Times had an article about Bill and the album, and talked about the taping in town. One of the dancers said she was a little nervous working for "a Rolling Stone," but said he was a nice guy.

The Bill clips were aired with no fanfare or advertising, and I missed them.

Those pre-youtube, pre-VCR days were prehistoric indeed. If you missed it, you missed it. That was life in the Stone age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-02 23:29 by loog droog.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 20:24

I've got it and its great, ther's a tune called White Lightning that's excellent.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 2, 2013 20:27

Ronnie Woods 'I've got my own album to do' is the best solo album by any Stone.

It's not just a great solo album, it's a great album full stop!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 2, 2013 20:32

I own Talk Is Cheap, Main Offender and the live Wino's album. I also own Mick's Goddess In The Doorway, which I bought out merely out of curiosity. I have seen Ronnie and Bill Wyman live, but wouldn't consider purchasing any of their solo releases. If Keith releases a solo album again, I'll probably buy it.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 2, 2013 20:46

Ronnie's albums are way too much sounding like sloppy rehearsals IMO. The proper "songwriting" are missing in action and it's more a showcase of different styles and grooves. Not that it is bad, but for those looking for a "Wild Horses"-esque ballad, will have to look other places.

Mick's best album is Wandering Spirit. A lost Stones album.

For Keith, go with Talk Is Cheap. Fantastic album.

Don't know Bill, Taylor and Charlie's albums.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 2, 2013 22:49

Just because it deserves a mention: She's The Boss.
Probably the most underrated album by Stones fans.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 2, 2013 23:07

BowieStone
Just because it deserves a mention: She's The Boss.
Probably the most underrated album by Stones fans.
Indeed a great album. Wandering is better musically, but She's the boss is a great album.
As for essential solo stuff: live from killburn. Awesome.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 2, 2013 23:29

Ronnie.. first one
Mick taylor...nothing
Jagger.. 3 of them ...not sure how many he made ;o)
Bill Wyman... the first 2
Keith.. nothing
Charlie... nothing

Date: July 2, 2013 23:46

Is Brothers Of Sodom any good?

Date: July 3, 2013 00:35

Go for the Japanese release of Long Ago for it carries two bonus
tracks, one of them being The Nearness Of You with Bernard on vocals ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 3, 2013 00:52

JohnnyBGoode

I think they would have stood on solid ground if they'd have wanted to get rid of Bill after this nonsense...certainly he should have been on shaky ground with Je Suis Un Rock Star.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 3, 2013 02:02

I'm preferable to Ronnie's Gimme Some Neck, followed by his first two and Slide on This.

I too have a soft spot for Bill Wyman's Monkey Grip. Very low key and charming as someone above already said. You can also get the Bill Wyman "Compendium" which compiles all (or at least most) of his solo stuff on two CDs.

T@3

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: July 3, 2013 02:14

And don't forget Ronnies last album " I feel like playing" from 2010

A "Must have"

Per-Arne

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 3, 2013 03:13

My picks would be:

Bill Wymans 1st -- Monkey Grip-- I agree that it has a "Ringo-ish" quality, but that's not a bad thing....

Mick Taylor 1st solo album...surprisingly enjoyable and in parts very "Jeff Beck"

Ron Wood- first two solo albums-- both excellent

Charlie Watts- have to admit I am not a big fan of Charlies solo stuff, but not because it isn't good, but I just feel its kinda sterile... the best of his output, for me, is the latest, the "A,B,C,D & E of Boogie Woogie"

Mick-- 'Wandering Spirit"

Keith-- "Talk is Cheap"

Brian Jones--- " A Degree of Murder" if we ever get the official release it will be beyond cool

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: July 3, 2013 04:38

Mick's Wandering Spirit by a long mile - unless you're a jazz fan and then it's Charlie.

Of Ronnie's stuff, Gimme Some Neck. Also, it may not be the best but I've always favored 1 2 3 4 for a couple of tracks: Wind Howlin' Through, Fountain of Love. Although you could usually find that album in bins for 1$. grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-03 04:39 by TimeIs.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home