Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T The Who, Glasgow, Sheffield & Manchester June 2013
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 13, 2013 20:30

Hello,

I won't confess how many times that I've seen this shower before but the last time that I saw them was their 'Quadrophenia' performance at the Royal Albert Hall just over three years ago.
That show left me on a downer: it wasn't the way that I wanted to finish seeing my favourite band so you can probably imagine how thrilled and chuffed I am to say that last night's show well and truly kicked the arse of the RAH number! To be honest I'm not sure how big a debt of thanks I owe that Glasgow audience: they were irreverent and @#$%& raucous, to put it mildly. And bluntly, hah-hah!

The support were a four-piece from Los Angeles called Vintage Trouble and all I'll say is do not miss them! A fusion of Wicked Pickett, Sam & Dave, J.B. and Lord knows what else...their 35 minutes whizzed by. Good work fellas...

I'll not bang on about the album itself suffice to say that the sound from the stage was absolutely marvellous however evidently PT didn't agree early-doors when he snarled, swore and kicked a wedge monitor and then let the poor technician be in no doubt as to how his boss felt. As one local shouted behind me, "...Go on Pete... you @#$%&' tell him, hah-hah-hah!". After that Townshend was caught laughing and smiling frequently: he had a ball up there, although by the time he heard the opening thumps of "Won't Get..." he definitely looked weary. Believe me, it was no wonder as 'Quad' is difficult music to play.

As the Man Of the Match, well it's a close call between Rog and Si Townshend...they both worked their knackers off to make the show as good as they could. RD's voice was loud and proud until the end although he did sound rougher for the final third, while ST played immaculate lead guitar and sang similarly. Without his contribution this show wouldn't have flown. End of.

After doing the band intros almost at the end of the show, PT dismissed them as a load of rubbish before catching his wee brother's eye and corpseing: he then looked at us and in a stage whisper said "...They're actually very good...". All good fun.

So what else? We had one stage invader who meant no harm thankfully although with the shape that Rog is in he would've have 'Dr. Jimmy'd' him regardless! There was also one big guy who had a wrestle with security at the stage edge: all he wanted to do was hand Rog a pair of sunglasses (which PT modelled) so he made sure that security treated the fellow with some decency. Good man.

At the risk of geting peoples' expectations too high, this is a band breathing fire at times. Go see.

And the vids...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-26 12:35 by SimonN.

Re: OT: The Who, S.E.C.C., Glasgow, Wednesday 12th June 2013
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 13, 2013 21:25

Thanks for the review and pics, Simon. Looking forward more than ever now to seeing their London shows, though I will miss Zak.

And as it happens, Vintage Trouble is also supporting the Stones at Hyde Park!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-13 21:26 by Beast.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:08

Thanks for your review and pics, I'm looking forward to their show july 5 in Amsterdam and too bad about Zak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 09:37 by runaway.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:15

I want to look at good as RD when I'm 82.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:22

Thanks for the review, looking forward to seeing them in a couple of weeks now! It's a bit hard to tell from the videos, but you reckon Rog's voice is better than at 121212 show then?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 13, 2013 22:26

Fabulous stuff. Great photos Simon. Can't wait for the Wembley show next month.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: June 14, 2013 00:35

A great review Simon.
Great to meet you in person and I'm glad us locals helped you have a good night.
I have some pics from the gig which I'll upload when I get some time.
Currently working on the audio.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 14, 2013 08:29

Silver Dagger
Fabulous stuff. Great photos Simon. Can't wait for the Wembley show next month.

SD, you not going tomorrow (or Sunday for that matter) ??

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 14, 2013 08:56

Great review, Simon, glad you had a good time in Glasgow. Didn't get tix myself as I'm currently on holiday in the Inner Hebrides planned a year in advance. I heard on Radio Scotland that they gave a tip of the hat to Iain Banks (Scottish author / good guy who died a few days ago).

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:01

Once again thanks for a great review Simon.

Good to see you had a great time.thumbs up

Re: O/T: The Who, S.E.C.C., Glasgow, Wednesday 12th June 2013
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 13:53

Thanks for the review. Seeing them tomorrow at the o2. Even more excited now!

Who's drumming with them if not Zak?

Date: June 14, 2013 14:07

The drummer for this part of the tour is Scott Devours who plays with Roger when he tours solo. As such, he knows a lot of The Who catalogue, but Quadrophenia is a different beast and quite technical. He stood in for Zak for some of the shows in North America when Zak's tendon problem first arose and got to grips with the Quadrophenia tracks with very short notice. I am sure he is more proficient now....over to SimonN....how was he?

Posted by: martin0113 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 14:21

Vintage Trouble are amazing
Dont miss them at Hyde Park

Date: June 14, 2013 14:43

Hello,

Thanks for the nods, it makes the nause of putting this blah up worthwhile, hah-hah!

Gotdablouse: I guess RD's voice is in the same nick i.e. I was delighted for him...sure a lot (if not all) the songs are tuned-down now but that is to be expected.

GuessWho: Really good to meet you too, Gordon, and I can't thank you enough for the heads-up on the ticket. It was one of those nights were everything went 100%!

TB: Yep Iain, PT did dedicate 'Behind Blue Eyes' to Mr Iain Banks, and there was an appreciative shout for the guy.

MOWAT: I saw Scott play on RD's Tommy Tour and loved what he did. In fact all that band were fantastic, to be fair! I didn't miss Zak particularly but I'm in the minority when I say that I think Zak's playing has blanded-out a bit and lost some sponatnaneity certainly compared to how I saw him play years ago.

At the risk of sounding harsh, I think amongst Who fans there is an element of "oh it's Zak who was the son of Keith's best mate and who was given a drum-kit by Keith so therefore he is our guy", but Scott Devours did a fine job. One of the first things that I did after I got back was to listen to Quad again just to hear how fine and quirky and powerful Moon's rolls were on occasion.
Does that answer your question? Nah, didn't think so, hah-hah! All the above also should be read with my usual disclaimer that I amy well be talking out of my hoop.

Thinking about all this, I wish I was going to London now!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 15:19

Thanks for the info MOWAT & Simon. Can't believe I'm going to get to listen to the whole of Quadrophenia live. What a treat! I'm almost as excited as this....

Date: June 14, 2013 15:36

Just got great floor seats for the O2 Sunday show as well, a full weekend of the WHO ..... yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!! hot smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 15, 2013 13:33

Thanks for the great review and pics Simon.
Haven't seen the videos yet. Can't make it to the shows as over in Spain,but hope all you guys and gals going this weekend have a ball. winking smiley

Woke up on the couch about 2 a.m. last night and Pete and Roger on the BBC news channel talking about Quadrophenia tour and lots of film clips.

Eventually found it, and here's the link for anyone who wants a look.

Pete and Roger on Quadrophenia

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 15, 2013 14:13

I'm Glad that Pete and Roger have carried on. Of course they are not really "The Who" without John and Keith, but still pretty awesome. Pete is a genius.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 15, 2013 14:30

Yup this is great news! Pete and Roger deserve to continue playing their music together, and it is a special treat that they actually enjoy each other's company enough to play their music together! Of course this isn't The MIGHTY WHO, but it is the two front men playing their hearts and souls out together and playing one of the most delicious rock operas ever made, Quadrophenia. It is brilliant.

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: June 15, 2013 16:20

If anyone's going tonight at the O2 would they mind posting the running times. I'm going tomorrow and don't want to get there too early. Thanks

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 15, 2013 16:52

Saturday night:
Doors: 18:30
Vintage Trouble: 19:30
Interval: 20:00
The Who: 20:30
End: 22:45

Sunday night:
Doors: 18:00
Vintage Trouble: 19:00
Interval: 19:30
The Who: 20:00
End: 22:15

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: June 15, 2013 17:24

Beast
Saturday night:
Doors: 18:30
Vintage Trouble: 19:30
Interval: 20:00
The Who: 20:30
End: 22:45

Sunday night:
Doors: 18:00
Vintage Trouble: 19:00
Interval: 19:30
The Who: 20:00
End: 22:15

Thanks Beast

Re: O/T: The Who, Glasgow & Sheffield June 2013
Date: June 19, 2013 20:03

Hello,

And a few from last night in Steel City. Well, perhaps not so much any more...

...and the look of love...awwww!

Some shonky vids...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T: The Who, Glasgow, Sheffield & Manchester June 2013
Date: June 24, 2013 17:51

Hello,

I had about the best seat in the house, the middle of the second row but that was not a very pleaseant experience...maybe it was about time that karma came and gave me a shoeing, hah-hah!
I haven't got time to write yet about what happened (thank @#$%& for that, I hear you gasp!) but here are a few that I did get. By the way, the band played extraordinarily well for some reason...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 24, 2013 18:06

I was at Manchester last night Simon. I thought they played a blinder.A razor sharp Pete and Roger's voice is best I've heard it in years. Did Pete actually throw his guitar to the ground during Baba or did a roadie catch it? My view was momentarily blocked.

Can't believe how many people sat down in the floor seats !

sc uk

Date: June 25, 2013 01:52

Hi SCUK,

You and me both, hah-hah! I missed it too...
They really were on one last night: if the Glasgow crowd had gotten that performance (or vice-versa) then we're talking 50 megaton device. Minimum!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:27

Oh, how I wish they would play Germany! Last time I saw them was in 2006 when they played a at a small venue in Bonn. Great concert it was...

Date: June 26, 2013 12:31

MrBird65
Oh, how I wish they would play Germany! Last time I saw them was in 2006 when they played a at a small venue in Bonn. Great concert it was...

They are in Amsterdam on the 3rd (July)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 26, 2013 17:38

paulywaul

They are in Amsterdam on the 3rd (July)

They are in Amsterdam july 5 Ziggodome

Re: O/T The Who, Glasgow, Sheffield & Manchester June 2013
Posted by: Jackglfc ()
Date: June 30, 2013 19:27

Anyone know what time the Who usually start. Got tickets to see them tonight smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home