Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the experience of seeing Rolling Stones live in concert
Posted by: thedivalab1 ()
Date: January 22, 2011 05:55

Hello,

My name is Florin, I am a Doctoral student in Toronto, Canada. I wish to know your thoughts and feelings, and to learn about the reasons you attend the Rolling Stones live performances, about the kind of experience you are having while attending their concerts.

Let me know how was it, just go to: www.digitalvaluelab.com

I am grateful for your willingness to participate in this study, where I work with colleagues at Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada, and University of Innsbruck in Austria. I hope to hear from you. Thanks!

Florin

Re: the experience of seeing Rolling Stones live in concert
Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: January 22, 2011 10:31

June 20th, 1995, Cologne, Mungersdorfer Stadion:

The lights went down; Charlie started drumming...

From the right side Mick J. entered the stage, dancing and prancing. Right at that moment, 70.000 were connected in a giant electric field.

When he reached his mike and bowed down, the crowd went nuts.

"I'm gonna tell you how it's gonna be
You're gonna give your love to me !"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 22, 2011 16:23

It's a combination of the best concert you've ever seen and the circus, attended by the coolest people alive!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 22, 2011 16:35

Florin - why is the study limited to the experience of concert-going? Not listening to recordings?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 22, 2011 17:05

i like to get out of the house from time to time - actually mrs. st insists on it - and often when the stones are in town, there's no good movies playing for some reason, so i go to see them. been like this for 30+ years....

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 22, 2011 18:46

I think he wants us to go to the web site to tell.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 22, 2011 18:50

Gee, takes 30 minutes to complete it says.

Oh, well,,,,in 1966 there were a lot of screaming girls...

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 22, 2011 18:54

Vigin Priest summed it up pretty well!

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:22

It might have something to with that brutal wait before the show starts and then WHAM they are 2-3 songs into it before you know what happened

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 23, 2011 00:58

Mostly guys are into the show and women wait until they hear a song they know to stand up and swing their arms around...when song is over they go back to talking.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: January 23, 2011 01:28

Elmo Lewis
It's a combination of the best concert you've ever seen and the circus, attended by the coolest people alive!
sounds like you're describing a flaming lips concert.

seeing the rolling stones in concert is like seeing any other band you love. there's nothing unique about it.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 23, 2011 01:32

Florin, the first time I saw the Rolling Stones live was in 1982 in Paris. I arrived around noon at the hippodrome then I spent the following hours trying to get as close to the stage as possible. I think we were 60000 persons and it was General Admission, first come first served. By the time the first notes of "Take the 'A' train" were coming out of the speakers(I had bought 'Still Live' so I knew what was to come next!) I was 30 yards from the stage, quite a Fvking trip!
My heart was beating pretty fast when Keith played the first riff of Under my thumb, then the curtain opened,letting Mick come at us running and and jumping like a maniac. Keith with a cigarette in his mouth kept hitting hard his black telecaster. It is hard to describe my state of mind. Let me try ;it was between total confusion and brutal ecstasy.The crowd was rocking pretty hard and it was diffcult to keep my feet on the ground. It was beautiful to see the Rolling Stones in the flesh doing what they do best which is playing rock and roll.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 23, 2011 02:37

Experiencing a Rolling Stones concert or meeting one can be .. Life changing!..smoking smiley

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 23, 2011 02:47

The adreneline rush of a stones concert is unreal.To be witnessing a band with so much history associated with them, and the myth or legend that is the stones is something one can feel.The other good thing is when the wife says"klrkcr get a ticket and go see them!! they should come Down Under more often.

Date: January 27, 2011 08:10

Hi,

Your comments are great, thanks for sharing!
I also encourage you all to go online at www.digitalvaluelab.com where I prepared 40 statements that you can sort and rank, so can describe your experience. Your participation is much appreciated. Truly, it will take you about 30 minutes, but it is not a survey like you are used to, so chekc it out, thanks!

Florin

Date: January 27, 2011 08:14

Hi CC,

Good questions and the only good answer I have is that I like live performances, the feelings, the atmosphere, the crowd, and I am still amazed, and cannot explain that easily, why many of us can go through so many challenges just to spend few hours and experience our fans live! Why we do all these? What do we got from this?...

If you go online at the website, I may have a better idea why you go and see them live.

Florin

Date: July 12, 2011 21:43

Hello,

I just wanted to thank to all of you who supported my study about the Rolling Stones experience!

It is now completed and I am very satisfied with its results, with the contribution I got from Rolling Stones fans. Findings of this study will be presented in September in Birmingham, at an international conference about the study of human subjectivity. Below is the abstract for this presentation:

Abstract: The consumption experience constitutes the fourth distinct economic offering (Pine & Gilmore, 1999). Live cultural performances offer a particular value proposition to consumers, but there is a need to re-think and re-design live performances from a trans-media perspective in which live offering are complemented with digital and interactive mediated offerings.

The live mediated and unmediated entertainment experience is the central phenomenon under observation in this Q study. We adopted Q-methodology to elicit, describe, and analyze the subjective viewer reactions and self-reports regarding perceived value and the nature of the entertainment experience of live cultural performances. To operationalize the concept of entertainment value, we used Holbrook's (1999) typology of consumer value. The value construct and the Q-instrument were administered to two groups who attended two kinds of live cultural performances: a) a traditional live rock concert delivered by a band such as U2 and The Rolling Stones, or a performer such as Joe Cocker; and b) the increasingly popular high definition (HD) broadcast of live performances from Metropolitan Opera in New York and from National Theatre in London.

Seventy-eight participants responded to an invitation to sort and rank order statements/phrases in the Q sample after attending a live cultural performance in the last few months. Most of these Q sorts were produced online, through a website specially created to conduct Q sorting interview as programmed with FlashQ. Results suggest that the entertainment value of a live rock concert can be of spiritual nature, in addition to yielding perception of aesthetic beauty and excellence in performance. Significantly, HD cinematic broadcast of live opera does not replicate the experience of being at the venue with the artists. Nevertheless, watching the famous Metropolitan Opera, live, in your hometown, at an affordable price, yields a positive consumption experience related to efficiency, or value for money – a key component of entertainment value for consumers of live mediated performances.

Thank you!

Florin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home