Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

satisfaction at hyde park
Posted by: hamptonroads ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:55

Can someone explain (in my opinion) the reason for the terrible performance at Hyde Park. Out of tune. ragged.

Re: satisfaction at hyde park
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 21, 2011 02:38

The heat is usually given as being the reason for the tuning issues.

But, it can't have been that hot because one, King Crimson don't sound any more out of tune than they normally would and a MKII Mellotron loaded with sensitive tapes which do not like heat worked without any problems throughout their set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 04:52 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:00

The dead butterflies got onto the strings.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:46

Nerves. They had not performed live in a long time. New guitar player. Heat kept making the guitars go out of tune. Tempos were too slow (unless that was because of the tapes I have heard being at the wrong speed).

Date: January 21, 2011 04:53

Plus Keith's never been one for being in tune anyway.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:00

rust? They'd done only a handful of performances since the '67 European tour.

Date: January 21, 2011 05:08

Even though they were ragged and out of tune, there's great interplay during Midnight Rambler and Love In Vain has a bite to it that wasn't present during the 1969 tour of the USA.

I wish Keith had used his psychedelic les Paul custom though!

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 21, 2011 08:25

I still love watching Keith playing that V.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:15

Satisfaction wasn't exactly Mick Taylor favorite-song...Brian didn't like it either...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: courtfieldroad ()
Date: January 21, 2011 15:58

Never heard Brian didn't like the song, he was one of the ones who voted to make it their next single.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 21, 2011 16:12

I just watched "The Stones in the park" movie and yeah, the guitars during Satisfaction are badly out of tune. What surprises me is that neither Keith nor MickT tried to rectify the problem. It'sn't unusual for guitar players to tune their guitar while playing a song although not easy to do for sure.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 21, 2011 16:14

Take a look at Brian 1:48

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2011 16:48

His Majesty
Even though they were ragged and out of tune, there's great interplay during Midnight Rambler and Love In Vain has a bite to it that wasn't present during the 1969 tour of the USA.

I wish Keith had used his psychedelic les Paul custom though!

Yeah. For some reason I have always rated Hyde Park performance quite hight. It has something 'magical' in it, something that I sometimes miss in some of their more 'pro' and tight performances. Taking all the tuning, rustiness, Jagger's throat problems, having a new guitarist, a founder member just died etc. problems into account, I think the band simply shows their unique strentght as a live act. So raw and vital.

But now in a hindsight it is interesting to evaluate and locate the performance in their career. The band is in a middle of a process in defining their forecoming, typical live sound (that was to be established in the following American tour). They seemingly just got out from the studio, not really rehearesed their set, songs or sound in order, for example, to use the latest stage technology and all (I take that to be the reason for them not tuning their instruments sometimes properly - who know what they heard from their stage monitors). The result is that the band has never sounded as close to a late-60's freefeeling, jammin' hippie band as they do there. The arrangements are so loosy and untight. Some of them probably just by instict. I think "Satisfaction" is a prime example of that. They sound like 'what a hell we supposed to do with this number' and they just kick the song further.

I love the tightness - in soundwise, arrangewise - they achieved during the American Tour but still I love the 'hippie sound' of Hyde park concert. A great, unique one-timer. They were bloody daring band at the time.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 16:51 by Doxa.

Date: January 21, 2011 17:05

71Tele
Nerves. They had not performed live in a long time. New guitar player. Heat kept making the guitars go out of tune. Tempos were too slow (unless that was because of the tapes I have heard being at the wrong speed).

Keith looked very stoned. I know, nothing new there. Still, a bit more than usual perhaps?

Date: January 21, 2011 17:41

Come On

tongue sticking out smiley

Although the harmonica is kinda interesting to hear mainly because we aren't used to it, whoever decided that it should be left out made the right choice.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2011 17:47

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Keith looked very stoned. I know, nothing new there. Still, a bit more than usual perhaps?

Well, looking at his dead-pale face, he wasn't into long Caribbean holidays yet...

- Doxa

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:05

Come On

I have, what's unusual about his face?

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:08

the hyde park concert is one of the stones best ever concert,,,

sadly there is cuttings on i'm yours and she's mine,

the whole concert should be released,,!!!!!!!!!!

Date: January 21, 2011 18:19

stones78
Come On

I have, what's unusual about his face?

He sticks his tongue out.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:37

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Well, looking at his dead-pale face, he wasn't into long Caribbean holidays yet...

- Doxa

Doxa, that was his make-up from back then, in order to look cool I guesscool smiley.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: January 21, 2011 18:54

i was at this concert in 1969, when I was 16. What a great party!!

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 21, 2011 19:22

Always liked this show especially Down Home Girl, wish they'd play that more often. Gotta love 18 minutes of Sympathy too!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 21, 2011 19:48

I agree. I wish they woulda kept "Down Home Girl" AND "Mercy" in the 69 set list!

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: January 22, 2011 00:13

I can tell you it was very hot in the crowd. I got down the front near the end The boys were brilliant ask anyone who was there.My first of many many shows.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home