Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 7, 2013 14:40

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 03:50 by His Majesty.

Re: The Rolling Stones - danger and creativity within the modern day tours
Date: June 7, 2013 14:49

Some nights they are better, sometimes not. He's just human smiling smiley

This is taking risks, too - and with wonderful results:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 14:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 7, 2013 14:52

His Majesty

Danger and creativity wise I'd say that Rambler is a powerhouse and Jaggers harmonica on CYHMK is actually a brave and risky thing to do... and it works!

So, I was wrong, the modern day stones were already being creative and taking risks onstage before the addition of Taylor on this tour. He does bring a different flavour, but given his battered skills is it really any better than what they were before?

cool smiley

I don't think it needs to be better Phil. For me that's not the criteria. What's important is the emotional involvement of Mick Taylor which has taken the songs he plays on to another level. For me that's really exciting and I love the fact that he has been welcomed back into the fold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 14:53 by Silver Dagger.

Date: June 7, 2013 15:21

I'm not so sure he brings more emotion musically. I can understand that fans get emotional about having him there though.

Date: June 7, 2013 15:30

His Majesty
I'm not so sure he brings more emotion musically. I can understand that fans get emotional about having him there though.

That's what I meant. The emotion is for us fans. Although the film of Mick and Keith raising their eyes in admiration as Mick T played that solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking in LA recently revealed real emotion...a real prodigal son moment.

Date: June 7, 2013 15:34

DandelionPowderman

Yup, also that night's amazing version of Undercover Of The Night!

hot smiley Hot hot hot! hot smiley

Date: June 7, 2013 15:36

Silver Dagger
His Majesty

That's what I meant. The emotion is for us fans. Although the film of Mick and Keith raising their eyes in admiration as Mick T played that solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking in LA recently revealed real emotion...a real prodigal son moment.

Yeah, the last night in LA was good in that way.

Date: June 7, 2013 15:37

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Yup, also that night's amazing version of Undercover Of The Night!

hot smiley Hot hot hot! hot smiley

I think the whole Atlantic City-show is among the best they ever did. Even the newer material sounded fresh:

Date: June 7, 2013 15:42

DandelionPowderman

I think the whole Atlantic City-show is among the best they ever did.

I'm not so keen on the the modern, for the time, sounds, but yeah they were very ON!

Date: June 7, 2013 15:47

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I'm not so keen on the the modern, for the time, sounds, but yeah they were very ON!

Same here, but it needs to be evaluated in the context of the time, imo.

Great show!

Date: June 7, 2013 15:51

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Same here, but it needs to be evaluated in the context of the time, imo.

Great show!

Of course, hence my agreement about it's greatness! thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2013 17:41

Vegas all the same.

- Doxa

Date: June 7, 2013 17:52

Doxa
Vegas all the same.

- Doxa

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:00

His Majesty

Danger and creativity wise I'd say that Rambler is a powerhouse and Jaggers harmonica on CYHMK is actually a brave and risky thing to do... and it works!

So, I was wrong, the modern day stones were already being creative and taking risks onstage before the addition of Taylor on this tour. He does bring a different flavour, but given his battered skills is it really any better than what they were before?

cool smiley

What DVD's are these two tracks from, thanks?

Date: June 8, 2013 19:59

His Majesty

cool smiley

Hi Majesty, do you know what DVD's these tracks/numbers are from, anyone ??? ta ta in advance drinking smiley

Date: June 8, 2013 20:04

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Atlantic City not official dvd is it? Where can I get a copydrinking smiley

Date: June 8, 2013 20:27

So that was the results of Sherlock Holmeses' investigation here to trace those "danger" and "creativity" elements within modern tours. The jam of "Midnight Rambler" in COUNTING THE MONEY AND RUN TOUR and Jagger's harp in "Knocking" during LICKS TOUR plus one STEEL WHEELS TOUR show (even though I don't know what "danger" there is to create one-to-one versions of the studio versions of their old songs, especially by the help of army of back-up musicians, even though at that time it was a novel idea, so somehow it was "creative" I suppose). Impressive.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 20:32 by Doxa.

Date: June 9, 2013 22:06

Doxa
So that was the results of Sherlock Holmeses' investigation here to trace those "danger" and "creativity" elements within modern tours. The jam of "Midnight Rambler" in COUNTING THE MONEY AND RUN TOUR and Jagger's harp in "Knocking" during LICKS TOUR plus one STEEL WHEELS TOUR show (even though I don't know what "danger" there is to create one-to-one versions of the studio versions of their old songs, especially by the help of army of back-up musicians, even though at that time it was a novel idea, so somehow it was "creative" I suppose). Impressive.

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Just two snippets from a quick YouTube search.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 9, 2013 22:14

what's all this about danger? it's rocknroll, not a haunted house.

Date: June 9, 2013 22:19

Doxa

- Doxa

There was a tour in 2002/2003, where they played obscure numbers in clubs. Three different setlists in major cities.

Stray cat blues, no expectations, hand of fate, neighbours, don't look back, parachute woman, she smiled sweetly, torn and frayed, hot stuff - to name a FEW of th numbers they played.

Vegas? grinning smiley

Date: June 9, 2013 22:22

bestfour
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Atlantic City not official dvd is it? Where can I get a copydrinking smiley

Email me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 9, 2013 22:37

bestfour
... do you know what DVD's these tracks/numbers are from, anyone ??? ta ta in advance drinking smiley

The Saitama show hasn't been released officially but circulates on bootlegs.
That CYHMK is from Four Flicks, isn't it?

Date: June 9, 2013 22:43

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

There was a tour in 2002/2003, where they played obscure numbers in clubs. Three different setlists in major cities.

Stray cat blues, no expectations, hand of fate, neighbours, don't look back, parachute woman, she smiled sweetly, torn and frayed, hot stuff - to name a FEW of th numbers they played.

Vegas? grinning smiley

And let's not forget perhaps the highlight of the entire tour, That's How Strong My Love Is when Mick was rejuvenated in front of all our eyes and became his early 20s self again. That for me sent shivers down my back and told me that yes, they could still be that magnificent band again, away from all that stadium nonsense.

Date: June 9, 2013 22:49

His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Seriously, I am sure there will be others too, but that really needs energy and time to find them, since those two terms - danger and creativity - aren't the most obvious ones to describe their efforts during "modern" tours. I take the whole "professionalist" turn in 1989 as a way to cut off those features of their music. In a way that a brave move as per se to really readjust their sound so much and start to play according to fixed arrangements (in order to cope with the stage technology, such as lights and other extra stuff). I think also the idea to start playing the songs according to their original studio versions was a way to cut some of the dangers of the "road versions" off, since those didn't have a firm model to refer to, but were like "flying in the air", a kind of song sketches, which were created by simpling playing them (very much up to guitarist/s).

And they rehearsed a lot for that tour. My guess is that it was Jagger's order to put everything strictly in control. But more control there is, less spontanious it is. I think the biggest presence of danger is if Keith and Ronnie can play so rigorously as needed for their given role.

Generally, I think the most "dangerous" moments are those when they try some occasional obscure numbers and see what happens. Then they need to necessarily to go out of their safety zone, and rely on their natural musicianship and intuition. (So in that sense I don't think for example "2000 Light Years From Home" from 1989 was such a case, since it was seemingly rehearsed very well to fit to show's demands, and a regularity in that tour). But then, one could ask, is that really "dangerous", but more like just not having enough rehearsed?

- Doxa

Date: June 9, 2013 22:55

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Vegas? grinning smiley

Yeah, I was talking about the same thing in my later post (before I saw this one).

- Doxa

Date: June 9, 2013 23:09

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Vegas? grinning smiley

And let's not forget perhaps the highlight of the entire tour, That's How Strong My Love Is when Mick was rejuvenated in front of all our eyes and became his early 20s self again. That for me sent shivers down my back and told me that yes, they could still be that magnificent band again, away from all that stadium nonsense.

That was amazing thumbs up

Date: June 9, 2013 23:12

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Vegas? grinning smiley

Yeah, that's s perfect example! Jagger left the normal stage personas and all those routine moves fixed to certain songs out, and just released an inspired singer from himself. (By the way, I would put that performance from FOUR LICKS to the same level in greatness as magnificient Paradiso '95 "Gimme Shelter" and recent "Rambler".)

- Doxa

Date: June 9, 2013 23:12

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Vegas? grinning smiley

Yeah, I was talking about the same thing in my later post (before I saw this one).

- Doxa

No, you said Jagger's harp was the only highlight on the Licks tour smiling smiley

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 9, 2013 23:16

His Majesty

cool smiley

They are as meek as a lamb compared to the 6-tees and 7-tees live performances.. Their diminished skills during this tour cannot replace /disguise that.

Date: June 9, 2013 23:21

Doxa
His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

eye rolling smiley

Seriously, I am sure there will be others too, but that really needs energy and time to find them, since those two terms - danger and creativity - aren't the most obvious ones to describe their efforts during "modern" tours. I take the whole "professionalist" turn in 1989 as a way to cut off those features of their music. In a way that a brave move as per se to really readjust their sound so much and start to play according to fixed arrangements (in order to cope with the stage technology, such as lights and other extra stuff). I think also the idea to start playing the songs according to their original studio versions was a way to cut some of the dangers of the "road versions" off, since those didn't have a firm model to refer to, but were like "flying in the air", a kind of song sketches, which were created by simpling playing them (very much up to guitarist/s).

And they rehearsed a lot for that tour. My guess is that it was Jagger's order to put everything strictly in control. But more control there is, less spontanious it is. I think the biggest presence of danger is if Keith and Ronnie can play so rigorously as needed for their given role.

Generally, I think the most "dangerous" moments are those when they try some occasional obscure numbers and see what happens. Then they need to necessarily to go out of their safety zone, and rely on their natural musicianship and intuition. (So in that sense I don't think for example "2000 Light Years From Home" from 1989 was such a case, since it was seemingly rehearsed very well to fit to show's demands, and a regularity in that tour). But then, one could ask, is that really "dangerous", but more like just not having enough rehearsed?

- Doxa

The danger can be how they sound, well-rehearsed/oiled machinery or not.

For instance, Gimme Shelter sounded more or less exactly the same on all shows in 1972, but it still sounded like war was indeed just a shot away.

After they became old men, that part of the music waned naturally.

Now we can enjoy the band and the songs. Trying to create danger is pretty hard for 70 year old musicians. And it isn't to be found within the maj-chord either grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home