Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Emotional Rescue bass line
Posted by: blessed_poison ()
Date: June 2, 2013 04:47

I may be in the minority, but I have always been fond of ER. The band hasn't been to Philly yet so I haven't seen them yet, and have been watching some of the videos, and it sounds like Darryl has changed some of the bass lines. Anyone who has seen them on this tour would probably know, seems to sound more reggae.
Anyway the guy in this video really nails it, basically what's on the album.

video: [youtu.be]

Re: Emotional Rescue bass line
Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 04:48

We may both may be in the minority. I love ER the song, and the entire record.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: June 2, 2013 04:54

For years, I thought ER was the worst Stones song ever. But then, about 2 years ago, I totally changed my mind about it. Now I love it. I think it's great that they've pulled it out for their shows. Sounds great.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 2, 2013 05:53

I've always liked it and the LP. Great tune. It's different except when held up to Miss You.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2013 06:14

love this and the bass line.

Was it a Ron Wood derived bass line?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 2, 2013 06:18

It's a great song and always has been. It's a minority that doesn't like it, and a real minority that hates it. The 'Philadephia' bass line is all Ron Wood.

Date: June 2, 2013 06:45

Yes I really like "Let me go" as well , would be nice if they did a slower version much like the album, so we can hear some good weaving again . Yes Ronnie did the bass on ER, Wyman couldn't quite grasp it, or that's the rumor I heard. Anyway ER was the perfect song at the perfect time, so distinctive, and unique , and would much rather hear it than Miss You.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2013 06:51

Ridiculous song since the day it was released.
It hasn't aged well, and it's a waste of time to hear it played live.
Sorry - just my opinion (along with nearly everyone I know).

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: June 2, 2013 07:51

It would be really cool if they showed thermal images of them playing on the big screen behind them when they played ER...or play clips from the video, that would be cool too...

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: June 2, 2013 08:21

spsimmons
For years, I thought ER was the worst Stones song ever. But then, about 2 years ago, I totally changed my mind about it. Now I love it. I think it's great that they've pulled it out for their shows. Sounds great.

I did an about face on this song as well. Pretty cool when they unearth something they have never done before, no matter what it is. I'd probably draw the line if they did "My Girl" but I'd be OK with just about anything else at this point.

Suck on the Jugular next?

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: June 2, 2013 08:42

I love ER and have since I first heard it. I don't get why anyone could not like it. I never liked the record much, but upon revisiting the entire album, I really enjoy the whole thing.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 2, 2013 09:24

I always loved it.

But I don´t really know what to think about how it is arranged on this tour...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2013 11:40

It does sound different, by choice or not, that's the question.

aftergeography
It would be really cool if they showed thermal images of them playing on the big screen behind them when they played ER...or play clips from the video, that would be cool too...

Indeed it would, wouldn't be too hard either, maybe a problem with rights? I remember hearing an interview with the (French) guy who did that for them and it was a "messy" arrangement...

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 2, 2013 14:36

I always really liked the bass line in Indian Girl....

Date: June 2, 2013 15:45

I had the same thought with the thermal images on the big screen, would really be stand out. Also thought using the old 70's footage for the Rocks Off video , whenever they would do that song .

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:01

Hairball

Sorry - just my opinion (along with nearly everyone I know).

You need to get out more... >grinning smiley<
But alas not everything on ER is great. It would have been better suited as an EP. Sandwiched between the great SG and the equally great TY it would have been the 3rd diamond of the 78-81 period.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:07

The basic track was recorded with Mick on electric piano, Charlie on drums, and Ronnie on bass. Ronnie didn't take the bass away from Bill; Bill just wasn't there. Keith and Bill, to my knowledge, do not appear on the track.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:15

I like the album but I really don't like the song

Posted by: ripthisjoint908 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 16:57

detroitken
knew it was coming. someone had to say it...

Date: June 3, 2013 00:50

detroitken

That´s classic Keith thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 3, 2013 06:55

From4tilLate
The basic track was recorded with Mick on electric piano, Charlie on drums, and Ronnie on bass. Ronnie didn't take the bass away from Bill; Bill just wasn't there. Keith and Bill, to my knowledge, do not appear on the track.

Keith's on it. There is electric guitar on the track and it's Keith.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: June 3, 2013 07:19

GasLightStreet
From4tilLate

Ah, there you go then. Keith it is.Although the lead doesn't sound like him to me.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 3, 2013 07:20

GasLightStreet
From4tilLate

yep. might also sing a bit at the end.

Date: June 3, 2013 10:44

I love both the song and the album. I actually MUCH prefer ER to Some Girls, which IMHO suffers from too little variety and is their most overrated LP. SG is still a great record, but, save for IORR, I like it the least of every LP they released between 1968 and 1981. It's a little monochromatic; the first FOUR songs are all in A, one after the other, which makes it sound a bit samey. That said, getting back to the ER LP, it'd be hard to argue that "Indian Girl" is anything but one of their three weakest, most wholly ludicrous songs they've ever done. If that was dropped and it was simply a 9 song LP, or had "Claudine" stayed on it, it'd be equal, song-for-song, to the other two. As it stands, "Indian Girl" is a flaw on an otherwise really fun, variety-filled album with great funk/dance tracks ("ER," "Dance" ), punky energetic rock ("WTBG," "Summer Romance" ), some reggae ("Send It To Me" ), blues ("Down In The Hole," ) a great Keith ballad ("All About You" ) and some fun Stones-doing-the-Stones rockers in "Let Me Go" and "She's So Cold." I love the album. "Dance" is my favorite, but the title cut is probably my 2nd favorite--it has NOT aged badly in the slightest and is one of my favorite singles of theirs, period. People who hate it don't really "get" Mick's sense of humor I guess--he's having a laugh, doing a send-up of the Bee Gees without a hint of self-seriousness about the entire affair. I'm very happy they're playing it on this tour! I don't really think it sounds that different based on youtube clips; Darryl's being pretty faithful to the original Ronnie bassline and it really drives the energy of the crowds.

Date: June 3, 2013 11:43

Both Keith and Ronnie play guitar on this track, albeit pretty sparsely.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 3, 2013 12:02

ER both LP and song is great.

The problem with ER (the song) for most Stones fans is that it's too far from the Stones bluesy rock and roll image.(excursion to disco)
BUT I think it has a unique great groove which is even more strong on the live version nowdays. And it's not just a disco it has interesting reggaeesque Stonesish beat with Charlie drumming.
Love it!

Date: June 3, 2013 12:06

Funk/pop/reggae to my ears - groovy little thang thumbs up

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 3, 2013 12:49

Love the whole album. I remember very well the anticipation when it came out. They changed the date of release several times and I was getting very impacient hearing a new song here and there on the radio.

Just loved it, and the cover and poster end everything. Hope they'll play ER at Hyde Park at least once.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 3, 2013 13:20

Btw is the song is A# or another key? (G maybe?)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 3, 2013 15:30

Terrible song and album

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home