Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What the heck are the Stones DOING?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:44

>>Probably just living their lives like the rest of us.<<

The rest of us ain't like them.

>>I doubt they care what they rest of us are doing.<<

Agreed.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 21, 2011 05:38

Gazza
stonescrow
Send It To me
How long can you just sit around, regardless of how rich you are?

LET'S WORK!!

Mick Jagger just sitting around? Must be one of the hardest working rich men in the world!

What do you base THAT on over the last three and a half years?

Five whole minutes of live work with U2 and a few new lyrics and overdubs for about half a dozen songs from the early 70s?

There are shitloads of multi millionaires in the music industry alone who record and tour for several months of every year.

To compare Jagger's workrate of late with the likes of Young, Springsteen, Dylan et al is hilarious.

The comment you have quoted is speaking of Mick Jagger as an individual. My second comment addresses the Stones in general. Anybody that knows anything about Mick Jagger knows he is a workaholic. You keep focusing in on the three and one half years of band inactivity, "for crying out loud" give them a break, they are in between tours! Just because they may not be devoting their time to what *you* think they should be devoting their time to doesn't mean they are being unproductive - they do have lives beyond being members of the Rolling Stones after all! Also, if you think Mick Jagger hasn't been preparing himself for the next Stones project then you know nothing of Mick Jagger! His physical fitness routine alone would exhaust most men half his age. Do you think that more than a day or two goes by that he doesn't work on his vocals? Do you think that the last three and one half years have past without him doing anything in the way of song writing for the next album? Give me a break! As for the others? Didn't Ronnie Wood just recently release a solo album? Keith? Do you believe him when he says he is rusty? I don't! He will be as ready as he can be when it comes time to roll and you may just be surprised. Charlie? How many consecutive days do you think he has been away from his drum set in the last three and one half years?

Stop comparing them to the likes of Young, Springsteen, and Dylan, I certainly am not! They are the Rolling Stones and they have given enough over the last half century and have earned the right to take as much time as they damn well please between albums, tours, etc.! We should be thankful they are still around at all and even considering giving it another go! They don't owe you, I, or anyone else, another note!

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 21, 2011 06:25

Fornicating.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 21, 2011 07:45

colonial
bustedtrousers
They're living their lives. Which don't revolve around their fans sometimes unrealistic expectations of them.

I'd agree with that.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 21, 2011 14:53

>The comment you have quoted is speaking of Mick Jagger as an individual. My second comment addresses the Stones in general. Anybody that knows anything about Mick Jagger knows he is a workaholic. You keep focusing in on the three and one half years of band inactivity,

Which is entirely relevant if you're making the ridiculous statement that he IS (present tense) a 'workaholic'

"for crying out loud" give them a break, they are in between tours!

They've been 'in between tours' for nearly four years!!

Just because they may not be devoting their time to what *you* think they should be devoting their time to doesn't mean they are being unproductive - they do have lives beyond being members of the Rolling Stones after all!

Firstly - I dont expect or need any of them to devote their time to doing ANYTHING. They dont owe me another note of music. My comment was in response to your assertion which, with the greatest respect, I find ludicrous and without any foundation whatsoever.

Secondly - define 'being productive', then. Going to fashion shows and film premieres?

Also, if you think Mick Jagger hasn't been preparing himself for the next Stones project then you know nothing of Mick Jagger! His physical fitness routine alone would exhaust most men half his age. Do you think that more than a day or two goes by that he doesn't work on his vocals?

Erm....yes, actually. I'd say quite a bit longer than that, in fact.

Do you think that the last three and one half years have past without him doing anything in the way of song writing for the next album?

Didnt say he had done 'nothing'. How much bloody time does it take to write half a dozen songs, anyway. Whatever you say doesnt QUITE back up your utterly groundless assertion that he's a workaholic.

Give me a break! As for the others?

I didnt mention 'the others'. My comment was regarding Mick Jagger...but if you want to change the subject, lets hear it...

Didn't Ronnie Wood just recently release a solo album? Keith? Do you believe him when he says he is rusty? I don't!

More fool you, then. Even his wife said that when she took ill, he closed down the studio he had in the basement of his home. Keith has written/co-written about 10 songs in the last 15 years that have been released. Outside of the confines of a Rolling Stones tour, he has made no more than a trickle of brief guest appearances on stage in the last decade and a half. When the Stones dont work,theres no evidence to suggest that he keeps busy. Even by his own admission.

He will be as ready as he can be when it comes time to roll and you may just be surprised. Charlie? How many consecutive days do you think he has been away from his drum set in the last three and one half years?

Charlie has admitted down the years on several occasions that he never plays drums at home and that he needs to go on tour or record to keep in shape musically. To his credit, he's been doing that - then again, like I said, your comment and my reply related to Mick, so your rantings about Charlie, Keith and Ronnie are irrelevant to your argument.

Stop comparing them to the likes of Young, Springsteen, and Dylan, I certainly am not!

Yes you did. You said Mick Jagger is 'one of the hardest working rich men in the world' By definition, thats comparing him to everyone in the same financial position. I only listed a handful of other musicians to give an example of others who are in the same industry.

They are the Rolling Stones and they have given enough over the last half century and have earned the right to take as much time as they damn well please between albums, tours, etc.! We should be thankful they are still around at all and even considering giving it another go! They don't owe you, I, or anyone else, another note!

Read up. Never said they owed me anything, and have consistently said the same thing on here for years now. By trotting out the cheerleader mantra, you're conveniently changing a subject that you yourself brought up. Its got nothing to do with what we're talking about.

For what its worth, I'd have largely agreed with your statement about Mick up until 3 or 4 years ago. Between Stones activity he kept himself busy with solo work, film projects etc. Havent seen anything to suggest he's been doing anything more than taking an extended hiatus from the entertainment industry for most of the last three years, howver. Not saying I blame him for doing so, just pointing out what appears to be somewhat obvious.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. Hardly worth fallin' out over. smileys with beer

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 15:06 by Gazza.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 21, 2011 15:43

None of us really knows. Keith has been extremely active in writing and publicising his book, Ronnie has done another album and gotten up to a whole lot of mischief in his private life, Charlie is no doubt very busy with his sheepdogs and Arabian horses, Mick has finished remodeling his new mansion on Cheyne Walk and is involved with his girlfriend's fashion design business.

Whether they have done anything related to the Stones since the Exile re-release is unknown. Perhaps some of the members here who purport to have connections to the Stones can tell us. BV has stated that there will be an upcoming tour.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 21, 2011 15:45

i'll take it a step further - they not only don't anyone ANOTHER note of music - they never owed any of us any notes....but i'll take them...in large, unmarked bills, if possible....

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 16:01

How many topics like that do we have? In how many topics we discuss the possible setlists, in how many topics we discuss the possibility of Mick T. Bill or even Brian joining the band?...

...and the fact that Charlie is going on tour soon attracts so little attention. We will rather talk about Keith's ears again tomorrow...And yea, I forgot, Mick is bald. It is a breaking news.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 21, 2011 17:08

What the heck are the Stones DOING ?

Date: January 21, 2011 17:45

Massimo68
What the heck are the Stones DOING ?

the time off has served keith well, it seems. he seems fresh and energized.

Date: January 25, 2011 00:19

Gazza
>The comment you have quoted is speaking of Mick Jagger as an individual. My second comment addresses the Stones in general. Anybody that knows anything about Mick Jagger knows he is a workaholic. You keep focusing in on the three and one half years of band inactivity,

Which is entirely relevant if you're making the ridiculous statement that he IS (present tense) a 'workaholic'

"for crying out loud" give them a break, they are in between tours!

They've been 'in between tours' for nearly four years!!

Just because they may not be devoting their time to what *you* think they should be devoting their time to doesn't mean they are being unproductive - they do have lives beyond being members of the Rolling Stones after all!

Firstly - I dont expect or need any of them to devote their time to doing ANYTHING. They dont owe me another note of music. My comment was in response to your assertion which, with the greatest respect, I find ludicrous and without any foundation whatsoever.

Secondly - define 'being productive', then. Going to fashion shows and film premieres?

Also, if you think Mick Jagger hasn't been preparing himself for the next Stones project then you know nothing of Mick Jagger! His physical fitness routine alone would exhaust most men half his age. Do you think that more than a day or two goes by that he doesn't work on his vocals?

Erm....yes, actually. I'd say quite a bit longer than that, in fact.

Do you think that the last three and one half years have past without him doing anything in the way of song writing for the next album?

Didnt say he had done 'nothing'. How much bloody time does it take to write half a dozen songs, anyway. Whatever you say doesnt QUITE back up your utterly groundless assertion that he's a workaholic.

Give me a break! As for the others?

I didnt mention 'the others'. My comment was regarding Mick Jagger...but if you want to change the subject, lets hear it...

Didn't Ronnie Wood just recently release a solo album? Keith? Do you believe him when he says he is rusty? I don't!

More fool you, then. Even his wife said that when she took ill, he closed down the studio he had in the basement of his home. Keith has written/co-written about 10 songs in the last 15 years that have been released. Outside of the confines of a Rolling Stones tour, he has made no more than a trickle of brief guest appearances on stage in the last decade and a half. When the Stones dont work,theres no evidence to suggest that he keeps busy. Even by his own admission.

He will be as ready as he can be when it comes time to roll and you may just be surprised. Charlie? How many consecutive days do you think he has been away from his drum set in the last three and one half years?

Charlie has admitted down the years on several occasions that he never plays drums at home and that he needs to go on tour or record to keep in shape musically. To his credit, he's been doing that - then again, like I said, your comment and my reply related to Mick, so your rantings about Charlie, Keith and Ronnie are irrelevant to your argument.

Stop comparing them to the likes of Young, Springsteen, and Dylan, I certainly am not!

Yes you did. You said Mick Jagger is 'one of the hardest working rich men in the world' By definition, thats comparing him to everyone in the same financial position. I only listed a handful of other musicians to give an example of others who are in the same industry.

They are the Rolling Stones and they have given enough over the last half century and have earned the right to take as much time as they damn well please between albums, tours, etc.! We should be thankful they are still around at all and even considering giving it another go! They don't owe you, I, or anyone else, another note!

Read up. Never said they owed me anything, and have consistently said the same thing on here for years now. By trotting out the cheerleader mantra, you're conveniently changing a subject that you yourself brought up. Its got nothing to do with what we're talking about.

For what its worth, I'd have largely agreed with your statement about Mick up until 3 or 4 years ago. Between Stones activity he kept himself busy with solo work, film projects etc. Havent seen anything to suggest he's been doing anything more than taking an extended hiatus from the entertainment industry for most of the last three years, howver. Not saying I blame him for doing so, just pointing out what appears to be somewhat obvious.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree. Hardly worth fallin' out over. smileys with beer

Once a workaholic, always a workaholic. You just don't wave a magic wand and stop being who you are especially when you have been a "work addict" for most of your life. To think that a 63 to 64 year old (his age three to four years ago) Mick Jagger (who is still in tremendous physical condition for a man his age) suddenly wakes up one morning three or four years ago and drastically changes his normal daily routine is somewhat incredulous.

Is it possible we are talking about two different things here? It appears you are basing your opinion on the lack of "tangibles" like solo work, film projects, etc. when I am thinking more in terms of the "intangibles" (physical fitness, vocal maintenance, song writing, future event planning, personal business interests, etc.) that are more part of a daily routine and not necessarily slated for public consumption.

As far as the "tangibles" are concerned did he not play some sort of role in the editing process of the Scorcese film 'Shine A Light'? And what about his contributions to the Exile documentary and his work on the ten new/old tracks released in May? When you throw in his contributions to the L&G project, and whatever else you mentioned is that not a reasonable amount of "tangible" work in what is considered a "down time" (non touring period)?

Considering all things (tangibles and intangibles) I firmly stand by my original comment that he *must* be (and has been for decades) one of the hardest working rich men in the world and still can't understand how you can fairly say that my statement is even remotely hilarious, ludicrous, or whatever else you may think of it.

PS: I wonder if those closest to him (girlfriend, children, close personal friends) would agree with you that he suddenly became significantly less ambitious beginning about three to four years ago? I also wonder what his producer Don Was would have to say about your opinion? Nevertheless, no hard feelings, since I sort of consider you a "mentor" when it comes to "all things Stones".

Date: January 25, 2011 00:53

Well we can only speculate on the intangibles you're referring to. There's no evidence of it and no logical reason why he should be doing them (on a regular basis at least) as there has been hardly any output and no touring activity for over three years. I would imagine that he's done SOME songwriting, though. Personal business interests? A man in his position pays people to take care of the nitty gritty of that side so he doesnt have to.

Jagger isnt credited as an editor on Shine A Light. [www.imdb.com]

The entire band are credited as 'executive producers', which is basically a credit for their financial investment in the movie. There's no actual 'hands on' work involved in that.

I've acknowledged the 'Exile' reissue project (ie, the bonus songs), although his role in putting the documentary together amounted to nothing more than being (again) an executive producer and a short interview.

I'm unaware of any significant creative input by Mick or the band into the reissue of Ladies & Gentlemen. I wouldnt expect there to be any, as its not their project nor their chosen field of expertise.

So, basically it amounts to cobbling together 10 recordings from the early 70s, many of which were pretty much already fully realised, and adding a few overdubs and new lyrics to maybe three or four songs.

That doesnt convince me that we're talking about a man who's been very busy. Especially when you compare it to how active he was on previous band 'down time' (1999-2001 being an example). Like I said, I dont begrudge him taking it easy at all. He's earned the absolute right to do as little or as much as he wants.

Date: January 25, 2011 01:00

we have to earn the right to do as little as we want? hmmmm....i do it whether i've earned it or not.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 25, 2011 05:36

they are waiting for the economy to recover fully so they can soak us like a sponge once again playing in front of people dressed like tarps in large stadiums, brilliant idea boys

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 25, 2011 05:40

funny how u2 is not waiting on the economy and somehow is able to fill large stadiums with no problem what so ever

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 25, 2011 06:31

This whole speculation on what they are doing is tiresome and boring. If they felt compelled to make music they would simply do it. This is a dysfunctional group of former friends who at best manage to come together every few years when a business opportunity too large to pass up presents itself. I swear to God some folks here remind me of the jilted boyfriend or girlfriend sitting around hoping the phone will ring.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 25, 2011 15:27

Looks to me like we will hear something towards the tail end of this year and the real action will begin next year.

Which is fine by me as I intend to take most of 2012 off and spend it rockin and rollin through time and space! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 25, 2011 16:41

"What the heck are the Stones DOING?"

Enjoying their retirement and their golden years. Like every other sonuvbitch who's worked all their lives.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: January 25, 2011 16:49

the stones as band are done since BTB. It was their last real record they´ve done. ABB was painting by numbers done mostly by Mick with Ronnie at the smallest part of his whole stones career.
I cannot imagine how they´ll tour in 2012. I think it´s done, though I´m going to see them if they´ll come but I cannot think how they could do it

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: January 25, 2011 16:59

71Tele
This whole speculation on what they are doing is tiresome and boring. If they felt compelled to make music they would simply do it. This is a dysfunctional group of former friends who at best manage to come together every few years when a business opportunity too large to pass up presents itself. I swear to God some folks here remind me of the jilted boyfriend or girlfriend sitting around hoping the phone will ring.

The best statement to this question so far. However whenevery the dysfunctional group had a good night, it was a night to remember for a very long time and still is.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 25, 2011 18:58

Grison
71Tele

The best statement to this question so far. However whenevery the dysfunctional group had a good night, it was a night to remember for a very long time and still is.

Sure! No arguing with that. I just think some of us have trouble accepting change, and the fact that we may never see those days again. It's really ok. "Everything passes, everything changes" as The Bob said.

Date: January 25, 2011 20:47

Gazza
Well we can only speculate on the intangibles you're referring to. There's no evidence of it and no logical reason why he should be doing them (on a regular basis at least) as there has been hardly any output and no touring activity for over three years. I would imagine that he's done SOME songwriting, though. Personal business interests? A man in his position pays people to take care of the nitty gritty of that side so he doesnt have to.

The entire band are credited as 'executive producers', which is basically a credit for their financial investment in the movie. There's no actual 'hands on' work involved in that.

I've acknowledged the 'Exile' reissue project (ie, the bonus songs), although his role in putting the documentary together amounted to nothing more than being (again) an executive producer and a short interview.

I'm unaware of any significant creative input by Mick or the band into the reissue of Ladies & Gentlemen. I wouldnt expect there to be any, as its not their project nor their chosen field of expertise.

So, basically it amounts to cobbling together 10 recordings from the early 70s, many of which were pretty much already fully realised, and adding a few overdubs and new lyrics to maybe three or four songs.

That doesnt convince me that we're talking about a man who's been very busy. Especially when you compare it to how active he was on previous band 'down time' (1999-2001 being an example). Like I said, I dont begrudge him taking it easy at all. He's earned the absolute right to do as little or as much as he wants.

I would be real interested in knowing if Mick keeps a log of his daily activities. He certainly seems like the type who would keep some sort of diary. I sure hope he does his own biography some day and really comes clean, although I fear that day may never come or if it does it may be fifteen to twenty years down the road when he is in his eighties.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 25, 2011 21:05

I reckon' Mick ,Keith, and Charlie are happy with retirement.They get out when they wan't too,and a tour is getting to be a distant memory.They all have very comfortable lives and have got the dosh to do whatever they like.2012 is not going to see them at their best after such a long lay off in my opinion.I think Charlie and Ron will have their own projects to play in front of the fans,but The Stones as we know it will be a thing of the past.I realy hope I am proved wrong and they start the tour in September/October 2011 or before,but my optomism and enthusiasm is waning. smoking smileysad smileysmoking smiley

Date: January 25, 2011 21:06

71Tele
Grison
71Tele

Sure! No arguing with that. I just think some of us have trouble accepting change, and the fact that we may never see those days again. It's really ok. "Everything passes, everything changes" as The Bob said.

Well, if the phone doesn't ring by May 31, 2012 I am shutting off my ringer!

Posted by: crackedglauzer ()
Date: January 26, 2011 02:58

Where's Mick??
I've heard news about Ronnie, Keith and Charlie, what about Mick??
since he is, as said, a workaholic and always "dancing in the light" he should be around...
I don't know

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2011 03:12

He threw away his cell, shaved off all his hair, and decided to hide away.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 26, 2011 03:18

They are practicing a bunch of old blues songs for a cool acoustic/blues
tour!

Date: January 26, 2011 15:25

stonescrow
Gazza

I would be real interested in knowing if Mick keeps a log of his daily activities. He certainly seems like the type who would keep some sort of diary. I sure hope he does his own biography some day and really comes clean, although I fear that day may never come or if it does it may be fifteen to twenty years down the road when he is in his eighties.

Think its safe to say that he doesnt.

This is a man who agreed to write his autobiography in the 80s, was advanced millions for it , and then handed it all back a few months later because he couldnt remember anything. Apparently he tried to get Bill's help, but as Bill was writing his own autobiography, he told him where to go.

A Jagger autobiography? Can't imagine it'll ever happen. He's far too guarded about his private life. A publisher would want as much scandal for their investment as possible, and would have a shit-fit if Mick delivered a book that concentrated primarily on his music instead of being a kiss and tell-all. It worked Ok for Dylan, but it's a different market.

Its widely known that the only Stones band member to keep diaries or cuttings etc was Bill Wyman.

Date: January 26, 2011 22:33

Gazza
stonescrow
Gazza

Think its safe to say that he doesnt.

This is a man who agreed to write his autobiography in the 80s, was advanced millions for it , and then handed it all back a few months later because he couldnt remember anything. Apparently he tried to get Bill's help, but as Bill was writing his own autobiography, he told him where to go.

A Jagger autobiography? Can't imagine it'll ever happen. He's far too guarded about his private life. A publisher would want as much scandal for their investment as possible, and would have a shit-fit if Mick delivered a book that concentrated primarily on his music instead of being a kiss and tell-all. It worked Ok for Dylan, but it's a different market.

Its widely known that the only Stones band member to keep diaries or cuttings etc was Bill Wyman.

Well if he has trouble remembering things then all the more reason to keep a daily log. Since that was back in the eighties it is entirely possible that because of that experience he has since decided it might be a good idea to document his adventures. I noticed on one of my Stones tour documentaries that he had a camera in his hand doing some filming of fans greeting the band at various locations. Not sure if that is any indication that he is more in tune with documenting his adventures these days or not. I sure wish I had kept a log of daily activities over the years. My short term memory has gotten so bad in recent years that I have been forced to rely on notes. Sometimes with age people become more reflective and less guarded (more secure) resulting in more of a willingness to open up. Hopefully, Mick will someday reach a point where he is willing to at least take a stab at telling his story provided he can find someone to help him with his poor recall facility.

Date: January 27, 2011 00:00

If he does, you can imagine the meltdown on here over his 'selective memory' if 'Life' is any yardstick!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home