Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Chicago club show?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:38

From Stones Twitter...could be nothing. Or it could be something:

Have you ever been to a Rolling Stones club gig?

[twitter.com]

Time Out Chicago posted this a couple days ago:

Rolling Stones to play a secret show in Chicago?

Posted in #Chicago blog by Jake Malooley on May 28, 2013 at 2:30pm

Photo: Michael Halsband/Landov

The Rolling Stones have been playing arenas since the band members were twentysomethings. But occasionally, Mick, Keef and company like to pretend they're a shaggy juke-joint act. With the Stones rolling into town for a whole week to play three concerts at the United Center, including tonight's performance, could the band have a secret club show up its sleeve?

The Stones have a history of playing surprise gigs in intimate settings; the band kicked off its 50 & Counting tour in late April with a 90-minute set at L.A.'s 700 capacity EchoPlex, a $20-per-ticket show announced day-of on Twitter via @RollingStones. Last October, the band sold 350 tickets at 20 bucks a pop for Le Trabendo, another 700-person venue. Again, the show was publicized on Twitter.

Another line of reasoning: The Stones seem to have a particular affection for hush-hush shows in Chicago. During a three-night stand at the Rosemont Horizon (now the Allstate Arena) in November 1981 on the Tattoo You tour, Mick, Keith and Ronnie Wood dropped by the old Checkerboard Lounge to jam with Muddy Waters and a host of other local bluesmen, including Buddy Guy. (I wouldn't be surprised to see Guy taking a solo on "Midnight Rambler" at the United Center. Chicago harmonica master Sugar Blue, whose playing can be heard on "Miss You," should also get an invite.)

Perhaps the most vivid Stones memory for Chicagoans: In '97, days before kicking off the Bridges to Babylon tour at Soldier Field, the Stones played a last-minute gig at Double Door for about 400 lucky fans and music industry folk, including Billy Corgan and Liz Phair. (Video below.) A wristband, which granted its wearer entry to the club, was $7.

Could history repeat? Double Door's lineup for the week the Stones are in town is curious: nothing booked Saturday or Sunday. Reached by phone today, a venue employee said a "private event" is booked for Saturday. (A 50th bandiversary party? I wondered.) The person assured me the event isn't Stones related.

If not Double Door, then where? Capacity-wise, a good bet is Bottom Lounge. A stone's throw from the United Center, it holds 700, same as the venues of the L.A. and Paris club gigs. It also has gaps in its schedule over the next week. In any case, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled to the Stones' Twitter feed.

[www.timeoutchicago.com]

Re: Chicago club show?
Posted by: mcgeez8 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:41

yea posted this yesterday. Buddy Guy's is closed at 3pm for a "private event"

if it happens, my bet is its there. Keep watching twitter to see if Grrregory gives any hints like in LA

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:45

buddy guy is also notorious for pumping the stones' presence to drum up business. in '89 there were such rumors and we spent a great evening at his club (which i recommend). every 10 or 15 minutes he would mention something about "you never know who you might see here tonight". finally around 1am Woody walked in, sat in the VIP section for about 15-30 minutes and listened and drank, and then left. part of the fun is you never know for sure what will happen!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2013 18:50

sonomastone
finally around 1am Woody walked in, sat in the VIP section for about 15-30 minutes and listened and drank, and then left

Wow!

Date: May 30, 2013 18:51

http://www.concertlivewire.com/mickbud.htm

Good account of when Mick and Ronnie showed up there in 2002.

Posted by: gimmerambler ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:14

a drop in at buddy's legends is way overdue but almost too obvious
obama's choppers just did a fly by

eye rolling smiley
? ? ?

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:26

If Mick still won't do 2 nights of full shows in a row, then there is no room in the schedule for a Chicago club show. The only days available for the remainder of the North American tour where a show could be added is on June 16, between Boston and Philadelphia, or on June 26 or 27 after Washington, but those dates are too close to Glastonbury to be used for shows.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:40

Club shows, including doubledoor, have always been a final warmup before a new tour starts, like in Paris for the Grrr tour. Have they ever done a surprise club gig in the middle of touring?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 30, 2013 19:55

Yes, Olympia 1995 at least.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:18

Deleted by Cocaine Eyes. You guys don't need any help with the private gig. If there is one.

Sit back and watch a soap opera......

smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 20:28 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:19

doubledoor
Club shows, including doubledoor, have always been a final warmup before a new tour starts, like in Paris for the Grrr tour. Have they ever done a surprise club gig in the middle of touring?

the chicago gigs - checkerboard and buddy guys - were both mid-tour, when they were in chicago.

Date: May 30, 2013 20:21

Apparently no one wants help with a private gig. That's cool.

cool smiley

Hey Dreamer.....you dig?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 20:29 by Cocaine Eyes.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:25

Didn't you just make that post in ALL CAPS and bolded color already? Not sure how that's helping anyway?

Date: May 30, 2013 20:26

I'm down by buddy guys and there doesn't seem to be anything going on. It's open for regular lunch then word on the street is its reserved for a corporate party tonight. Looks like a no go for that venue at least

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:27

is the wind wuthering in the windy city?

Date: May 30, 2013 20:31

gotdablouse
Didn't you just make that post in ALL CAPS and bolded color already? Not sure how that's helping anyway?

OK cool No more help........Sorry it offended you.

cool smiley

Date: May 30, 2013 20:34

Cocaine Eyes
gotdablouse

cool smiley

Toronto or Chicago? Kinda confusing to have to choose one or the other confused smiley

Date: May 30, 2013 20:39

bye bye johnny
From Stones Twitter...could be nothing. Or it could be something:

Have you ever been to a Rolling Stones club gig?

[twitter.com]

Time Out Chicago posted this a couple days ago:

Rolling Stones to play a secret show in Chicago?

Posted in #Chicago blog by Jake Malooley on May 28, 2013 at 2:30pm

Photo: Michael Halsband/Landov

The Rolling Stones have been playing arenas since the band members were twentysomethings. But occasionally, Mick, Keef and company like to pretend they're a shaggy juke-joint act. With the Stones rolling into town for a whole week to play three concerts at the United Center, including tonight's performance, could the band have a secret club show up its sleeve?

The Stones have a history of playing surprise gigs in intimate settings; the band kicked off its 50 & Counting tour in late April with a 90-minute set at L.A.'s 700 capacity EchoPlex, a $20-per-ticket show announced day-of on Twitter via @RollingStones. Last October, the band sold 350 tickets at 20 bucks a pop for Le Trabendo, another 700-person venue. Again, the show was publicized on Twitter.

Another line of reasoning: The Stones seem to have a particular affection for hush-hush shows in Chicago. During a three-night stand at the Rosemont Horizon (now the Allstate Arena) in November 1981 on the Tattoo You tour, Mick, Keith and Ronnie Wood dropped by the old Checkerboard Lounge to jam with Muddy Waters and a host of other local bluesmen, including Buddy Guy. (I wouldn't be surprised to see Guy taking a solo on "Midnight Rambler" at the United Center. Chicago harmonica master Sugar Blue, whose playing can be heard on "Miss You," should also get an invite.)

Perhaps the most vivid Stones memory for Chicagoans: In '97, days before kicking off the Bridges to Babylon tour at Soldier Field, the Stones played a last-minute gig at Double Door for about 400 lucky fans and music industry folk, including Billy Corgan and Liz Phair. (Video below.) A wristband, which granted its wearer entry to the club, was $7.

Could history repeat? Double Door's lineup for the week the Stones are in town is curious: nothing booked Saturday or Sunday. Reached by phone today, a venue employee said a "private event" is booked for Saturday. (A 50th bandiversary party? I wondered.) The person assured me the event isn't Stones related.

If not Double Door, then where? Capacity-wise, a good bet is Bottom Lounge. A stone's throw from the United Center, it holds 700, same as the venues of the L.A. and Paris club gigs. It also has gaps in its schedule over the next week. In any case, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled to the Stones' Twitter feed.

[www.timeoutchicago.com]

No better place for a club show than Chicago.

Date: May 30, 2013 20:45

DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
gotdablouse

cool smiley

Toronto or Chicago? Kinda confusing to have to choose one or the other confused smiley

They don't want any help. So, my lips are sealed.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:45

doubledoor

Club shows ... have always been a final warmup before a new tour starts... Have they ever done a surprise club gig in the middle of touring?

Apart from a surprise show, club gigs in the middle of touring: for example Circus Krone Munich, 8th June 2003 or Olympia Paris, 11th July 2003 and other [www.iorr.org] .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-30 21:15 by Irix.

Posted by: gimmerambler ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:52

sonomastone
doubledoor

the chicago gigs - checkerboard and buddy guys - were both mid-tour, when they were in chicago.

neither of which were secret gigs in the true sense but there was also the quiet knight with Muddy
and i was lucky enough to catch the pop in at kingston mines in '78
where mick had a bad case of the sniffles *wink*

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:56

i wish people would stop confusing theaters with clubs. i know they won't, but i wish against all hope that they would.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 30, 2013 20:56

mcgeez8
I'm down by buddy guys and there doesn't seem to be anything going on. It's open for regular lunch then word on the street is its reserved for a corporate party tonight. Looks like a no go for that venue at least

Doesn't necessarily have to be happening tonight. Could be Saturday or Sunday. Maybe even Tuesday.

Date: May 30, 2013 21:02

bye bye johnny
mcgeez8

Doesn't necessarily have to be happening tonight. Could be Saturday or Sunday. Maybe even Tuesday.

My money is on Saturday as it would give mick a days rest before the next show. Tuesday would work as well. Good dart to the blues fest week in chicago

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: May 30, 2013 21:05

I'm putting my money down right now on them popping up somewhere Saturday night. Still gives Mick one full day to rest up for the last Chicago gig.

Date: May 30, 2013 22:59

Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman
Cocaine Eyes
gotdablouse

cool smiley

They don't want any help. So, my lips are sealed.

Who are "they", and what kind of help did you have in mind?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 30, 2013 23:47

Guys I just walked by as well, nothing is going on, looks completely shut down.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 30, 2013 23:53

Forget Chicago, how 'bout a Club Show in Hammond, Indiana smiling smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 30, 2013 23:58

Doesn't necessarily have to be happening tonight. Could be Saturday or Sunday. Maybe even Tuesday.[/quote]

Keep us hardcores posted Johnny! ;-)

Date: May 31, 2013 00:17

Hello all. This is the first time I have posted on this board with information from behind the scenes. I live in chicago and know someone "in the know" in the Buddy Guy camp. I've heard there is a disagreement between Buddy and the Stones camp on what Buddy would be paid to open one of their remaining Chicago shows. As of now, Buddy is not interested and I would doubt the Stones would play at his club. I would get into more detail but I do not want to get anyone in trouble.

Again, this is from a very legit source. It could turn out to be wrong, but this is what I am hearing.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home