Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What was the "new" Exile outake stuff really?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 20, 2011 02:05

Someone, a member here, speculated that the horrid guitar solo overdub some of us balked at(it is awful!) on So Divine may actually have been played by Jagger.

Seems plausible to me given that Keith seems to gave very little involvement in the project.

Whoever played, how on earth did that wretched playing get the approval for a world wide release!? Talk about a lowering of standards!!!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 20, 2011 02:18

Keith played all the guitars (old and new) on So Divine according to Mick.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 20, 2011 02:22

rattler2004
Don Was mentioned "Scarlet" as a track that was left off the EMOS 2010 release...he also said it the song was so good that it would be a hit...

....so We are waiting Don.

Why on earth wouldn't they have used it unless they were saving it for a future release (GHS?).

Date: January 20, 2011 02:29

georgelicks
Keith played all the guitars (old and new) on So Divine according to Mick.

thumbs up

No surprise as to why the new part sucks so much then! grinning smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 20, 2011 03:39

The solo on So Divine and SFTD (from SAL) are very similar btw...

Date: January 20, 2011 04:21

georgelicks
The solo on So Divine and SFTD (from SAL) are very similar btw...

Equally awful you mean?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 20, 2011 05:29

Gazza
You may well end up with another collection of songs that have been touched up decades after their release with insufficient or misleading information given on their origins to play down that fact.

Its true that the circulating material is a whole bunch of 40%-60% outtakes.
Very little of it worth trying to sell to the general public on a Deluxe 2CD release of any of the discography.

From most of the recordings out there I would say they would absolutely have to add new parts to them.

My first choice is "I'll Let You Know" ...Add some thoughtful vocals...

you and cc make good points as usual

Date: January 20, 2011 05:34

His Majesty
Someone, a member here, speculated that the horrid guitar solo overdub some of us balked at(it is awful!) on So Divine may actually have been played by Jagger.

Seems plausible to me given that Keith seems to gave very little involvement in the project.

Whoever played, how on earth did that wretched playing get the approval for a world wide release!? Talk about a lowering of standards!!!

Keith is the only professional musician on the planet capable of something as appalling and atrocious as that "solo" on So Divine.

Date: January 20, 2011 06:04

wanderingspirit66

Keith is the only professional musician on the planet capable of something as appalling and atrocious as that "solo" on So Divine.

Do you think they looked him in the eye when said "That was great Keith! Job done!"? confused smiley

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 20, 2011 07:04

no matter what the stones would of put on the re-release of exile, there would be people complaining about it. i'm thankful for what was given to us, seems to me that the complainers were expecting an exile part 2

Date: January 20, 2011 07:46

ghostryder13
no matter what the stones would of put on the re-release of exile, there would be people complaining about it. i'm thankful for what was given to us, seems to me that the complainers were expecting an exile part 2

Not me. I just think they needn't have stretched the gruel quite so thin. PMS, Good Time Women, alt Loving Cup, maybe one or two more would have been enough for me.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 21, 2011 00:27

His Majesty
Mathijs
We got one track that was from '66, Title 5.

Mathijs

As it features the MRB effect from the Vox Conqueror/Defiant/Supreme the track can't have been recorded any earlier than 1967.

The bass is oddly full for recordings from that period though. Maybe they re-amped it?

Correct, I meant '67. Charlie's drumming is typical of is late-60's style, and Bill's bass has that hollow body sound. And yep, it's fuller, I bet they pro-tooled the heck out of it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 21, 2011 00:28

His Majesty

I think Keith did the solo guitar on So Divine. But there's some open G slide riffing on a song I forgot, which is Jagger imitating Keith's early 70's style.

Mathijs

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:19

This is just speculation on my part, but I've thought about this occasionally since that CD came out... I found myself wondering if, maybe the reason why certain "known" Exile outtakes that we had all heard before, were NOT on there, like Travelin' Man and the other version of "Shine A Light', the guitar intro take of "I'm Not Signifying," etc, maybe they were not included on the reissue because the actual MASTER TAPES of those outtakes are now in the hands of the bootleggers, and not in the archives of the Stones anymore.

The "Trident Demos" stuff on bootleg obviously came from London's Trident Studios, when their tape library got pilfered and things "disappeared" from their studio when they closed around the turn of the '80s. Much of the "tape library" at Trident studios was actually safety copies, or sometimes reduction mixes made when going from one tape machine to another. So my guess is there were probably very good multi-track MASTERS of those same instrumental tracks still in possession of the Stones, for Mick to put the new vocals on top of. Some of the other things like "Travelin' Man" -- who knows where they really are?

I can't remember the specifics of the story, but there was a famous example of a Who bootleg that came out, containing studio out takes from Who's Next, and when it was time to do the Who's own career box set, and the deluxe Who's Next reissue, Pete Townsend had to send people out into the bootleg underworld, to track down the bootleggers, the guys with the actual tapes, and say to them "look, we aren't mad at you, we won't sue you, we just want our tapes back!" And I believe the Who may have even had to "buy" their original tapes back from the bootleggers, because the Who themselves had lost or misplaced them at some point over the years. I heard a similar story about certain Zeppelin soundboard recordings that got leaked onto bootleg prior to the "How The West Was Won" CD -- that on certain Zeppelin live shows that were KNOWN to have been recorded, Jimmy Page doesn't actually have the TAPES anymore, the physical master tapes, so he couldn't really put them out now, even if he wanted to do it. At least not in high quality.

So it's entirely possible that Don Was or others, went looking for tapes of "Traveling Man" etc, and a search of the vault turned up empty. Especially for a project like Exile, when you had dozens if not hundreds of reels of tape being dragged around from France to Los Angeles. Something that wasn't considered important, might easily get misplaced and then eventually it falls into somebody else's hands like a collector, and then into the bootleg world. So the certain "studio out take" songs we've been enjoying on boots for years, from the classic Stones period, some of those the Stones might not even HAVE those tapes anymore.

It's just a speculation, but it has happened with other artists before. Jimi Hendrix once famously left some master tapes in a New York taxi cab, by accident, that were never recovered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 01:22 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 21, 2011 01:37

Another possibility is that many of the familiar bootlegged outtakes were registered by ABKCO. While several songs on EXILE are published by ABKCO, the newly released songs were published by Promotone's publishing arm, Promopub and the Stones may wish to limit how much of the song publishing actually goes to ABKCO vs. remaining in-house. Sound financial sense even if it's to our detriment.

Date: January 21, 2011 02:55

Why include a track that is obviously from 1967?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 21, 2011 03:24

What does it matter.......better ta have it than not have it....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 21, 2011 03:36

Rocky Dijon
Another possibility is that many of the familiar bootlegged outtakes were registered by ABKCO. While several songs on EXILE are published by ABKCO, the newly released songs were published by Promotone's publishing arm, Promopub and the Stones may wish to limit how much of the song publishing actually goes to ABKCO vs. remaining in-house. Sound financial sense even if it's to our detriment.

I think this has A LOT to do with what they do/don't do, and why. Especially when it comes to their back catalog.

Date: January 21, 2011 03:40

Rockman
What does it matter.......better ta have it than not have it....

Indeed!

Date: January 21, 2011 03:45

Ahhhhhhh HM...Ya been a bit spikey lately so good to see ya agreein'.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: January 21, 2011 03:50

His Majesty
Mathijs
We got one track that was from '66, Title 5.

Mathijs

As it features the MRB effect from the Vox Conqueror/Defiant/Supreme the track can't have been recorded any earlier than 1967.

The bass is oddly full for recordings from that period though. Maybe they re-amped it?

I still dont know what the heck they were thinking sticking title 5 on this comp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-21 03:56 by theanchorman.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:00

It's my understanding that the only actual outtake recorded at nellcote is I aint signifying - plus the new soul survivor...

Or am I wrong

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:19

Plundered My Soul, Pass The Wine, and Following the River are the only memorable cuts from this lot in descending order. The first two have a groove I haven't heard in the Stones for many years. Following The River does sound more like a modern Mick lyric and vocal slapped on an ancient track. The others, to me, were one time curiosity listens.

Date: January 21, 2011 04:44

24FPS
Plundered My Soul, Pass The Wine, and Following the River are the only memorable cuts from this lot in descending order. The first two have a groove I haven't heard in the Stones for many years. Following The River does sound more like a modern Mick lyric and vocal slapped on an ancient track. The others, to me, were one time curiosity listens.

PMS is superb, Pass The Wine just ok. Following The River is indeed memorable - for all the wrong reasons.

Date: January 21, 2011 04:57

Rockman
Ahhhhhhh HM...Ya been a bit spikey lately so good to see ya agreein'.....

Yeah sorry about that, it's the post shock aftermath of life and other real life shit going on, but I'll get over it soon. grinning smiley

Date: January 21, 2011 05:09

Hey Hey HM never explain and no need ta apologize .... Have a drink and kick the door.....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 21, 2011 05:13

theanchorman

I still dont know what the heck they were thinking sticking title 5 on this comp

Who knows!? Maybe the tapes were mislabeled or something and it wriggled along side tapes from 1969!?

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: January 21, 2011 14:10

Title 5 was interesting. I wish they had put the entire 20 mom jam on there. They should have doubled the outtakes. I enjoyed them. The great thing about eoms is if you dont like the bonus tracks then you can ignore them and buy it w-out the extras.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: January 21, 2011 14:50

Mathijs
Well, we got one track which was most probably an edit from a 20 minute jam and turned out to be the best track since Start Me Up -Plundered My Soul (the single version that is). We got one track that was from '66, Title 5. One track that is a Jagger solo track, and hence godawful -Following the River. Soul Survivor is a nice view on what the cook is cooking. The rest? Worked up outtakes that are what they are: worked up outtakes.

Mathijs

Why is Jaggers work referred to as awful just because it's his work? Would you rather leave Mick out of it all? I don't get it.

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: January 21, 2011 14:52

71Tele
Some were admittedly weak, but I don't know for sure if Travellin' Man or Hillside Blues came from the exile period. It was all worth it however, because we got Plundered My Soul, which was the best "new" Stones track in a quarter-century, imo.

You really think Plundered my soul is the best Stones song since 1985? Really nothing better on Voodoo, Bridges, or the other albums since then? Increadible....

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home