Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Which Stones song put the hook in you?
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:07

For me, She's So Cold -9 years old, people working at the local pizza shop probably got really sick of me dumping quarters in the juke box! Great intro, weaving, Keith's dynamics were incredible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-19 08:52 by Thrylan.

Re: Which Stones song put the hook you?
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:09

Thrylan
For me, She's So Cold -9 years old, people working at the local pizza shop probably got really sick of me dumping quarters in the juke box! Great intro, weaving, Keith's dynamics were incredible.

Honky tonk women. The cow bell, drumming, and guitar sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-19 08:56 by sonomastone.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:31

Good Question!

I can remember the first time I knowingly heard my first Stones song.

'Under My Thumb' on the car radio and I was about 16.

It was the most original & unique collage of sound my ears ever heard! I was so blown away & consumed that as soon as it ended I immediately wanted to hear it again!

From that day on I started buying every tape, cd, book, mag., bootleg, guitars, related blues albums I could find by the Stones!

That ONE song completely changed my life!

No other band, music, story, or lyrics ever captured or "did it" for me, the way the Rolling Stones have...it's been a long journey! Can't wait to see them in Chicago.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:35

I have a VERY vivid memory of listening to Let It Bleed on a Fisherprice record player when I was age 4. My dad let me borrow anything I wanted from his collection. So for me it was a trio of songs... Gimme Shelter, Let It Bleed, Midnight Rambler. BAM! From that point on, I was hooked.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:48

Thryan -- I think you meant to say put the hook in you.

plexi

Date: May 19, 2013 08:48

This has been my go to site for info for a long time, but only recently became a member. I was a little hesitant to start a thread, but now I am happy I have started a couple! Great stories! I feel like I am wearing people out, but here in WV, I don't get to chat it up with manardcore fans. This is like tour methadone to me! I have earlier said that I am pretty bummed that I won't likely be able to take my son. I can't believe with the big exhibit they aren't doing Cleveland! If they did it would be a 3 generation show with my father and my son.....hoping. just did YaYa's with my son......broke it down, discussed....great shared moment.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:52

I remember very clearing just loving Marianne's "As Tears Go By", knowing who had written it. That's June 1964.

I had heard the Stones do Carol earlier than Marianne's single.

I first saw them in a theater for the famous T.A.M.I. show in December 1964 and they sang "Around and Around." And again I love Chuck Berry, so again, I was crazy for that.

I just remember The Stones were very prolific in those early days-being worked to death, just like the Beatles. There seemed to be a huge deluge of music from them all at once. But as one can see from the earliest LPs, they were doing covers a lot. Little Red Rooster, Route 66 and the Berry covers. That's what hooked me. I love their versions more than the originals.

Of course, later, December's Children, Aftermath, 12 by 5. And I never looked back.
I remember my favorite, John Lennon, being a friend and fan of theirs too, so that was cool, that John endorsed them-to me anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-19 08:59 by WindyHorses.

Date: May 19, 2013 08:54

timbernardis

Thryan -- I think you meant to say put the hook in you.

plexi

Yes thank you.......big fingers, little phone!

Re: Which Stones song put the hook in you?
Posted by: TOOTSIE ()
Date: May 19, 2013 08:55

NFA 1964

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:12

There were several but the one that really did me in.......HEART OF STONE !!!!!!!!! (Everything about that song just shook it all up.) Before Heart of Stone - Tell Me- is sort of right there along with You Can Make It If You Try (Ted Jarret)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:15

...who's gonna be first ta say Off The Hook ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 19, 2013 10:19

OH, One other thing - You Can't Always Get What You Want, is The Son of - You Can Make It If You Try !!!!!

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:21

I was 4 years old when I heard the first song, so it was in 1993 and the song was Play With Fire. I have so great memories about this wonderful song.

The second Stones song I heard was Sympathy and the third was YCAGWYW. I remember me listening the song over and over, I was fascinated by the choir and then the first lyrics of Mick.

I was 7 years old and I only knew 5 or 6 Stones songs. Then my dad offered me a ticket to see the Stones in Paris in 1998 and my life changed...

Benjamin.

Date: May 19, 2013 10:22

Rockman
...who's gonna be first ta say Off The Hook ...

I almost did Rockman, but I felt your Vibe and figured you deserve bringing that up !!!

Date: May 19, 2013 10:25

benstones
I was 4 years old when I heard the first song, so it was in 1993 and the song was Play With Fire. I have so great memories about this wonderful song.

The second Stones song I heard was Sympathy and the third was YCAGWYW. I remember me listening the song over and over, I was fascinated by the choir and then the first lyrics of Mick.

I was 7 years old and I only knew 5 or 6 Stones songs. Then my dad offered me a ticket to see the Stones in Paris in 1998 and my life changed...

How Exactly Did Your Life Change Benstones, Can You Please Elaborate ?????

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:30

4 years old? I can't top that. I didn't hear my first Stones song and get hooked until I was 13.

My excuse? The song was Come On.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:32

but I felt your Vibe .... that's heavy man ...that's heavy

ROCKMAN

Date: May 19, 2013 10:37

2120Wolf
benstones

I was totally fascinated by Mick Jagger. My mum is a fan. Maybe less than me now but when I was very young she was listening the Stones every day. I just remember about those 3 songs (Play With Fire, Sympathy, YCAGWYW) and even Not Fade Away, the version of Tokyo Dome in 1995 (she had the laser disc). I will remember all my life the way that Mick arrives to the stage. I was really little and I was trying to imitate him. I hid myself behind a door with a long coat, and when I was hearing the first notes of Not Fade Away, I tried to walk like Mick... (funny!!)
As I said before, at 7 years old I was not a big fan. I didn't know a lot of songs, but I was just fascinated without knowing it. When my dad saw my reactions about me hearing again and again Play With Fire, it decided to give me his own ticket to see the Stones in Stade de France with my mum. Really, this passion is thanks to my parents. They NEVER obligated me to listen or to be a fan, all was totally natural. Now I am 23 years old and soon i will see my 14th Stones concert smiling smiley

Benjamin.

Date: May 19, 2013 10:41

Green Lady
4 years old? I can't top that. I didn't hear my first Stones song and get hooked until I was 13.

My excuse? The song was Come On.

I swear grinning smiley

I really remember hearing Play With Fire. BTW all the time I hear this song, I remember my childhood. I also remember that my dad showed me another version of Play With Fire, by Calvin Russell (I don't know if he was famous in USA but in France he was very famous).

I can tell you that after hearing Play With Fire, Sympathy and YCAGWYW, I was hooked... without knowing it really but I was hooked! It's hard for me to explain in English but writing about that gives me a lot of emotion!

Benjamin.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:47

Brown Sugar.

It was in an Amusment Arcade at a Pontins Holiday camp, I was 11, I was watching people playing pinball - those old machines that were all mechanical score dials and electric smells - and I was longing to play myself (no money)... then Brown Sugar came over the speakers...

It was all so cool.. (except the bit where I had no money)..

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:49

Play With Fire seems to be an important one for many people who became fans in the early 60s - certainly an all-time favourite of mine to this day.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:51

Marhsall
Good Question!

I can remember the first time I knowingly heard my first Stones song.

'Under My Thumb' on the car radio and I was about 16.

It was the most original & unique collage of sound my ears ever heard! I was so blown away & consumed that as soon as it ended I immediately wanted to hear it again!

From that day on I started buying every tape, cd, book, mag., bootleg, guitars, related blues albums I could find by the Stones!

That ONE song completely changed my life!

No other band, music, story, or lyrics ever captured or "did it" for me, the way the Rolling Stones have...it's been a long journey! Can't wait to see them in Chicago.

Dang, could have made that very post! Are you maybe referring to the original version though? The one that got me hooked is the "Still Life" version. Was in that record store choosing between Macca's Ram and Still Life as a present and...wow, the intro to UMT sealed the deal and the rest...well, yeah I guess it changed my life to a large extent as I've been relentlessly digging out everything I can find about the Stones over the past 30 years...with some nice "rewards" like the Trabendo and the Bondy rehearsal!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 19, 2013 10:54

1964-Tell Me-Mona-Walking The Dog-It's All Over Now
1965-She Said Yeay-Gotta Get Away.
1966-Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadow-Paint It Black-19TH Nervous Breakdown.

I heard the first tracks on pirate radio stations in the early sixties.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-19 19:21 by runaway.

Date: May 19, 2013 11:01

benstones
2120Wolf
benstones

I was totally fascinated by Mick Jagger. My mum is a fan. Maybe less than me now but when I was very young she was listening the Stones every day. I just remember about those 3 songs (Play With Fire, Sympathy, YCAGWYW) and even Not Fade Away, the version of Tokyo Dome in 1995 (she had the laser disc). I will remember all my life the way that Mick arrives to the stage. I was really little and I was trying to imitate him. I hid myself behind a door with a long coat, and when I was hearing the first notes of Not Fade Away, I tried to walk like Mick... (funny!!)
As I said before, at 7 years old I was not a big fan. I didn't know a lot of songs, but I was just fascinated without knowing it. When my dad saw my reactions about me hearing again and again Play With Fire, it decided to give me his own ticket to see the Stones in Stade de France with my mum. Really, this passion is thanks to my parents. They NEVER obligated me to listen or to be a fan, all was totally natural. Now I am 23 years old and soon i will see my 14th Stones concert smiling smiley
Ohh Wow Man, Thats a Beautiful Stones Story....I Thought You Were Going To Say That You Started Shooting Heroin, Playing The Harmonica in a Gritty Chicago Blues Band and Enjoyed Banging Sleazzzy Junkie Hookers.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 19, 2013 12:09

King Bee

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 19, 2013 12:22

would you believe it? "what a shame"( from 1962?), on th back side of heart of stone ( not heart of gold smiling smiley it was my first blues experience really, in G major, the simple riff in the beginning,a base walking, still love the song, hve been playing and listening to blues since.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 19, 2013 12:23

"Start Me Up" in 1981.

- Doxa

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 19, 2013 12:50

Paint it black. Drumming along in the paddling pool.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 19, 2013 13:06

Hand of fate................ signature KR's riffing got me hooked since the very first time
I returned the B&B album because i thought it was a great hits compilation. I changed it for the Hot Tuna's Final Vinyl.
But the Hot Stuff groove, the memory motelbeauty and Hand of fate strength remained inside me until i became a total RS fan some months later.
Of course i got the B&B album again

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 19, 2013 13:10

Start me up. I was a 13 year old catholic girl from the sticks in Italy. The rest is history.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2129
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home