Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Rocks off in Anaheim: let us kneel down and cry in joy. And: HEllo everybody!
Posted by: alexs ()
Date: May 18, 2013 11:28

I just listened to Rocks off in Anaheim, I really had tears in my eyes: it is the definate the best live version I heard, even very close to 1972. Great guitars, great singing, wow, hugly impressed. Hope they will it play in the Hydepark.
And yea, a "Hello everybody" from my side: I registered here 7 years ago, but hardly ever posted but lurking around every day, Stones fan since 14, my most favorite band, now i am 40, and will attend with my girl the Hydepark show. Rock´s off!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-18 11:29 by alexs.

Re: Rocks off in Anaheim: let us kneel down and cry in joy. And: HEllo everybody!
Date: May 18, 2013 11:30

Ah ya, here is the little gem: It was easily overseen in the videos topic, as it is no video.

Re: Rocks off in Anaheim: let us kneel down and cry in joy. And: HEllo everybody!
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2013 13:15

Hello!

The original version of "Rocks Off" is for me about the finest recorded pieces of The Rolling Stones caught in studio - its feel, the roll, the groove, the loosiness, the magical sloppiness, the production, the assemblage of tracks, instruments, noises, played by top inspired players - and Jagger's edgy vocals icing the cake. It captures the live feeling so wonderfully that I think they never have managed to reproduce its magic in real live surroundings - not even during the original Taylor years. I think the weakest link has always been Jagger, who just put about anything he ever could have for the original vocals, and if he even tries to do that live, he would kill his voice immedeatily.

So sorry I can't share your enthusiasim for the version here, but I wouldn't mind hearing it in Hyde Park...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-18 13:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 18, 2013 13:21

I share Doxa's view. It's great that they played it and I'm sure if I would have been there I would have been suitably propelled by it but it just sounds weak compared to the studio version. Some songs gain power when they are played lived and take on a life of their own - Midnight Rambler is one such beast that has been on occasion as great live as it is in the studio.
But that incredible dizziness and rush of energy you get on the original is not there and it sounds like a wounded animal now. Sorry to pour water on it but just my thought.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 18, 2013 13:58

folks want rare tracks...then the Stones play them...and finally there is criticism that it pales in comparison...they can't win for trying....some people are never satisfied.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:04

Rip This
folks want rare tracks...then the Stones play them...and finally there is criticism that it pales in comparison...they can't win for trying....some people are never satisfied.

Can't you see that there is not a contradiction between those views - to want to hear a certain track, and then to judge how the version manages in Stones universe? Or do you just fancy on complaining other people?

- Doxa

Date: May 18, 2013 14:15

At least Mick sings it better now than he did in 2003. He is more up there on the verses, that's a good thing.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:21

I found it weak and disjointed.

"very close to 1972"? Really...

Date: May 18, 2013 14:22

dcba

I think he means Mick's phrasing, which indeed is more similar to 1972 than on previous versions.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:29

Alexs I like it too. Thank you for sharing it with us. I don't care how it stands to the original, it is great that they play it on this tour. Hopefully they will keep it on the futur set lists.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:39

One of my Stones faves and its great that they play it. I don't expect wonders at this part of the game. All in all they play much better than I'd thought. . .

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:49

dcba

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:56

That's not fair, Roby.Apart from the playing its Jaggers voice/singin these days I have often problems with.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:06

Keith hit some bum notes in this one...majors where minors belong and such...

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:09

Silver Dagger
I share Doxa's view. It's great that they played it and I'm sure if I would have been there I would have been suitably propelled by it but it just sounds weak compared to the studio version. Some songs gain power when they are played lived and take on a life of their own - Midnight Rambler is one such beast that has been on occasion as great live as it is in the studio.
But that incredible dizziness and rush of energy you get on the original is not there and it sounds like a wounded animal now. Sorry to pour water on it but just my thought.

I give the Stones credit for trying this one out but I've never felt that Rocks Off has worked live even during the class period when it was first aired in 72 and 73. About the only version that I find somewhat enjoyable to listen to comes from the show that was professionally recorded at Giants Stadium early on the Voodoo Lounge tour and sold as a souvenir video at concerts in 1994.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 18, 2013 16:08

Munichhilton
Keith hit some bum notes in this one...majors where minors belong and such...

and minors where majors are sposed to be. it ALL evens out in the end. sheesh.

Date: May 18, 2013 16:11

Except in this case it remained odd...not even

Date: May 18, 2013 16:13

Munichhilton

even still...i mean even stephen stills remains odd...

Date: May 18, 2013 16:14

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

Oddliness is close to Godliness...eventually

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 18, 2013 16:19

alexs
I just listened to Rocks off in Anaheim, I really had tears in my eyes: it is the definate the best live version I heard, even very close to 1972. Great guitars, great singing, wow, hugly impressed. Hope they will it play in the Hydepark.
And yea, a "Hello everybody" from my side: I registered here 7 years ago, but hardly ever posted but lurking around every day, Stones fan since 14, my most favorite band, now i am 40, and will attend with my girl the Hydepark show. Rock´s off!

I found it very powerful too, alexs. It was such a joy to get that one in Anaheim.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 18, 2013 16:28

Doxa
Hello!

The original version of "Rocks Off" is for me about the finest recorded pieces of The Rolling Stones caught in studio - its feel, the roll, the groove, the loosiness, the magical sloppiness, the production, the assemblage of tracks, instruments, noises, played by top inspired players - and Jagger's edgy vocals icing the cake. It captures the live feeling so wonderfully that I think they never have managed to reproduce its magic in real live surroundings - not even during the original Taylor years. I think the weakest link has always been Jagger, who just put about anything he ever could have for the original vocals, and if he even tries to do that live, he would kill his voice immedeatily.

So sorry I can't share your enthusiasim for the version here, but I wouldn't mind hearing it in Hyde Park...

- Doxa

I agree with this view, the original studio version is much, much better,it's more "live". Also, is the tempo too slow in this Anaheim concert?

It's still nice they play it, even if it's not nearly as good as the original version.

Date: May 18, 2013 16:35

They never captured the magic of the studio version.

The got close in Perth 73 and on the VL tour, though.

Date: May 18, 2013 16:39

Yes - "Rocks Off" (studio) comes close to being my favorite Stones track ever. There are many, but it is all perfect here: the horns, the tricky arrangement.
But it has never IMO worked on stage. This is one cut that could have drastically benefited from a key change. the reason the lead vocal works so well in studio is that Jagger manages to infuse the song with much personality and grease . I mean, it drips; "..plug in flush out, f-i-ite, @#$%& and feed.." and then there is a faint "ow" And all these verses are sung in a very low register. He has a high harmony going (and isn't Keith also in there in parts? can't recall), but it is more for coloring sake. The dominant lead vocal is the low one.
And this kind of vocal, and melody with it's nuances just doesn't translate to live stage. Especially not a stadium setting. Jagger is STILL forcing it, trying to wrestle a melody out of it.
Other songs might have the same issue, but they could have the pay-off in a strong, catchy chorus. (e.g. 19th Nervous Breakdown). The chorus in "Rocks Off" is pretty complicated; it is not something that goes for audience lowest common denominator, where you shout "Hey Hey". There's the vocal interplay, topped with the horns. It's hard for someone to drunkenly yell along.

Date: May 18, 2013 16:43

rollingon
Doxa
Hello!

- Doxa

I agree with this view, the original studio version is much, much better,it's more "live". Also, is the tempo too slow in this Anaheim concert?

It's still nice they play it, even if it's not nearly as good as the original version.

I had another listen and, no, it isn't slower than the original.

It was quite good for a premiere of the tour, imo.., although they should tighten up the bridge...

Date: May 18, 2013 16:54

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton

Oddliness is close to Godliness...eventually

what's close to Todliness?

Posted by: kees ()
Date: May 18, 2013 16:56

Jagger is doing ok in my ears, but my God, listen to those guitars, terrible.
what are they trying to play?

Anyway, they tried.

Date: May 18, 2013 16:58

kees
Jagger is doing ok in my ears, but my God, listen to those guitars, terrible.
what are they trying to play?

they are TRYING to play God Save the Queen, but ol' bums' rush jagger is still trying to get his rocks off....

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: May 18, 2013 17:07

They rocked

Date: May 18, 2013 17:14

longlongwinter
They rocked

could you expand upon this theory a bit more? perhaps an adverb or something?

Date: May 18, 2013 17:15

Interesting discussion. In fact Rocks off is one of my all time favorite Stones songs ever. It is not 1972 and Mick and Keith ain´t 29, that is a fact. Actually the live versions, even the ones from 72 never came close to the studio versions imo. What I really like about this version from 2013: it is a loose and sloppy but at the same time tight version, and by being that it comes close to the original, not in terms of the overall quality of the instruments played, but in terms of the feeling of the song. I prefer this version much over the versions played in the 90ies or the 00s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-18 17:16 by alexs.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1534
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home