Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Exile bonus versus Some Girls bonus
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 18, 2013 13:11

For me the SG bonus disc comes a close second to Exile. I love the groove of Exile, SG has a more country music feel to it. Although my favorite of the two is I Love You Too Much!!

Would love to see a 2014 release of new songs combined with a another bonus disc of out takes. I'm more than ready.

Re: Exile bonus versus Some Girls bonus
Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 18, 2013 13:22

I am an Exile man, but prefer the SG Bonus, slightly. I love you too much is my fave, with Claudine as a close second. Yellow Cab is hot too. I have always been an avid boot collector, and while the Exile stuff is good, they left alot off in favor of weaker material. Traveling Man is hotter than any of what they used,(I think the Black Crows lifted its riff for Sting Me.) Alas, greed, don't make me re-buy albums I already own.......dont rehash greatest hit.....FL, GRRR- Give me a four disc boot comp, without the slick production. Would be nice.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2013 13:26

I think EXILE bonus has stronger individual tracks (a true gem: "Plundered My Soul"), but SOME GIRLS bonus works better as a whole - its standard is higher over-all. Both are great reminders of the greatness of the band - and I can't recall when I have been so thrilled for having a new Stones tune to go crazy aboout as I did with "Plundered My Soul". I hope there is more vaults stuff to come.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-18 13:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 18, 2013 13:51

I think SG (and SG bonus) is well appreciated because it was the last really good effort from the band (TY was in many ways 70s surplus). It still has some freshness about it. At least if we speak in Rolling Stones terms. Personally I think that the band should play more songs from SG and even SG plus! Those songs aren't overutilized in the same way as their late 60s and early 70s material.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 18, 2013 13:52

DandelionPowderman tends to critizise the "hard rocking" versions of 1972/73 to lack some of the "swing" or "groove", and I as often tend to protest that, but I think his description is true in the case of "Rocks Off" during Taylor days. Some of the "roll" element is lost. In modern versions they try to do more homage to that element, but I think that's damn hard thing to do convincingly. Te recapture that EXILE feel, which seemed to be a kind of once in a life time thing. When all the stars were in a right order.

- Doxa

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:02

This is a hard question. Given that the Exile bonus disc came out first, I thought it was exciting an really enjoyed the hell out of that disc. I was REALLY looking forward to the SG bonus tracks and I guess they could never hold up to the release I had in mind - the songs that were released were all great but there were quite a bit more in the can that I had hoped for -
Fiji Jim, Misty Roads, Shame Shame Shame, It's All Wrong, Lucky In Love (Don't Be A Stranger without Jagger's new vocal) all come to mind pretty quickly - so in a way it was a very slight letdown for me but I still enjoy it.

Date: May 18, 2013 14:16

Agreed, Exile is its own thing in its own time.....Plundered, by myself, in my truck, on a two lane road, well, it made me misty. Sometimes I think not finishing songs is better too. Its pretty easy to distinguish 70's Jagger from now, and what was looseness for Keith, at times sounds calculated.

Date: May 18, 2013 14:21

Both are great. However, I find the SG bonus tracks to be stronger, as well as better performed. The songs on SG are more even as well, and it's more like an album in its own right.

We Had It All is one of the most beautiful things the Stones ever did, imo.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:30

Looking forward to the Dirty Work Bonus tracks.

Date: May 18, 2013 14:32

uhbuhgullayew

Those may surprise you big time, as you obviously haven't heard them?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:35

Doxa
I think EXILE bonus has stronger individual tracks (a true gem: "Plundered My Soul"), but SOME GIRLS bonus works better as a whole - its standard is higher over-all. Both are great reminders of the greatness of the band - and I can't recall when I have been so thrilled for having a new Stones tune to go crazy aboout as I did with "Plundered My Soul". I hope there is more vaults stuff to come.

- Doxa

I agree and well said.
I really hope they would go through the entire vaults and bring us more stuff like that...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:36

Had it not had the wonky edit, Loving Cup for the win.

Date: May 18, 2013 14:38

DandelionPowderman
uhbuhgullayew

What I've heard I like quite a bit.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 14:42

Some girls bonus-Exile bonus: 10-0!

Date: May 18, 2013 15:08

uhbuhgullayew
DandelionPowderman
uhbuhgullayew

OK, so you're informed smiling smiley

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:21

Doxa

- Doxa

+1000

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:29

Some girls is better

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:32

DandelionPowderman
uhbuhgullayew
DandelionPowderman
uhbuhgullayew

Crushed Pearl is an unfinished classic...DP, I agree about We Had It All but I've never considered it a Stones song. I think there are only 2 or 3 Stones on it?

Date: May 18, 2013 15:40

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman
uhbuhgullayew
DandelionPowderman
uhbuhgullayew

Crushed Pearl is an unfinished classic...DP, I agree about We Had It All but I've never considered it a Stones song. I think there are only 2 or 3 Stones on it?

Strictly Memphis & Crushed Pearl are my favorites.

Date: May 18, 2013 15:42

Yeah, but I just love their take on it.

3 Stones on the track. Same as on Happy smiling smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 18, 2013 15:56

Thrylan
I am an Exile man, but prefer the SG Bonus, slightly. I love you too much is my fave, with Claudine as a close second. Yellow Cab is hot too. I have always been an avid boot collector, and while the Exile stuff is good, they left alot off in favor of weaker material. Traveling Man is hotter than any of what they used,(I think the Black Crows lifted its riff for Sting Me.) Alas, greed, don't make me re-buy albums I already own.......dont rehash greatest hit.....FL, GRRR- Give me a four disc boot comp, without the slick production. Would be nice.

My understanding is that Traveling Man belongs to Sticky Fingers era, - if they reissue Sticky F someday, then maybe we will have Traveling Man as a bonus track.

Date: May 18, 2013 16:30

Doxa
DandelionPowderman tends to critizise the "hard rocking" versions of 1972/73 to lack some of the "swing" or "groove", and I as often tend to protest that, but I think his description is true in the case of "Rocks Off" during Taylor days. Some of the "roll" element is lost. In modern versions they try to do more homage to that element, but I think that's damn hard thing to do convincingly. Te recapture that EXILE feel, which seemed to be a kind of once in a life time thing. When all the stars were in a right order.

- Doxa

When two guitars are doing their job, like on Rip This Joint and Bye Bye Johnnie, the Band rolled like never before in 1972 as well. When one guitar "free rides" on top of the other, some of the roll vanishes. But this is just my opinion of why it's swinging or not.

And there are always exceptions, like All Down The Line...

Posted by: nick ()
Date: May 18, 2013 18:25

Exile's bonus sounds like they were trying to keep the songs within that era while Some Girls prepared them as a new release. Now that we have 2 to put side by side should they Do It Then or Do It Now with future unreleased material?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 18, 2013 18:33

For Exile, I would have preferred the unfinished session tapes. I find the additions jarring. i realize I am probably in the minority.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 18, 2013 19:44

Much prefer the Some Girls bonus disc. The Exile disc is ok but there is nothing there I would say would fit onto Exile and improve it.But with the Some Girls bonus disc an alternate album emerges for me, one i call Country Girls.

Side One - Claudine / So Young / Do You Think I Really Care / Tallahassee Lassie / No Spare Parts

Side Two - Far Away Eyes (SG version) / When You're Gone / Before They Make hMe Run(SG version / You Win Again / We Had It All (an Emotional Rescue out whic should have replaced All About You on that album in my view)

To me that is a good album with a focus on country music

Posted by: terry ()
Date: May 18, 2013 19:50

I love exile, but some girls bonus is the best, love it

Date: May 18, 2013 20:14

SG comes off like a much more finished project; even a product. But I have to take Exile over it.
While I don't like the modernized lead vocal of "Following the River", I dislike the new "No Spare Parts" eve more. Because NSP already had been done, existed in near perfection; and was brought down.

Date: May 18, 2013 21:07

seitan
Thrylan

My understanding is that Traveling Man belongs to Sticky Fingers era, - if they reissue Sticky F someday, then maybe we will have Traveling Man as a bonus track.

Possibly, SF, but ADTL was actually started in 69', so the lines get blurred. Regardless, it's a strong track.

Date: May 18, 2013 21:13

drbryant
For Exile, I would have preferred the unfinished session tapes. I find the additions jarring. i realize I am probably in the minority.

No, you're dead on. Same for the SG stuff.....I have a crazy vinyl boot called Claudine..........Claudine is equal, WHIA is much better, and it also has a studio version of Lets Go Steady. All from the period, no dubs and NO studio gloss........rockin and HOT!!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 18, 2013 21:27

Exile is my favorite album, but I think the SG bonus disc works better as a whole. The songs have more of a unity about them, while some of the Exile bonus tracks seem a bit forced and not really belonging to the period ("Title 5", for one).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home