Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can't You Hear Me Knocking? (Live at MSG, 1-18-2003)
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 01:38

Watch at around 5:38 (during the instrumental break), and you'll hear a surprise instrument not present on the original 1971 version of this tune.

This leads me to ask you all IORR'ians: what other Stones songs have had extra instruments added in live performances? For one, I know "Beast of Burden" adds another guitar part.

~Ben

Re: Can't You Hear Me Knocking? (Live at MSG, 1-18-2003)
Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: January 15, 2011 01:46

Thanks for posting. Brilliant opservation.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 15, 2011 01:52

I recall a 1998 version of Time is on My Side from Japan that included horns.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 01:59

horns on satisfaction and jumping jack flash

saxophon on beast of burden

Date: January 15, 2011 02:09

Would string synthesizers on the live versions of "Paint It Black" count? Those are there, I think, to replace the hummed vocal parts (by Mick and Keith) on the 1966 original. I don't think everybody would want to hum a whole stanza all the time.

~Ben

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: January 15, 2011 02:11

does anyone have a version Time is on my.. from 1997-98?

Date: January 15, 2011 02:19

I also want to add that "Midnight Rambler" (also at MSG, 1-18-2003) has piano during the break:

(part 1 of 2)

(part 2 of 2)

~Ben

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 03:05

what about drums on lady jane and as tears go by?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 15, 2011 03:48

I think the worst of the lot must be Matt Clifford's keyboard's impersonation of a harmonica on the 1989-90 versions of 'Miss You'.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 15, 2011 04:17

Ben--

These are two of the greatest Stones clips known to mankind. Thank you for posting them!

Drew

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 15, 2011 04:29

how cool Ronnie's interpretation of Mick Taylor's solo is, with a little Wes Montgomery thrown in!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 05:23

Yeah, I like what Ronnie did with CYHMK! Some of the same elements from Taylor, but raunched up ala Ronnie style!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 15, 2011 05:23

If I recall correctly, SFTD had some horns during No Security. It was atrocious. BTW, I was at those MSG shows and they played pretty well for most of it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 15, 2011 07:00

Who is the guy trying to play the part Keith Richards played on the record on Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

Oh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-15 16:35 by 71Tele.

Date: January 15, 2011 08:32

71Tele
Who is the guy trying to play the part Keith Richards played on the record?

Oh.
If you mean on "Midnight Rambler," that would be Ronnie. What song are you talking about, really?

On the original "Miss You" the harmonica was provided not by Mick J. but by Sugar Blue, who later cut his own version of this song. On the VL and B2B tours the harmonica parts were dropped when this song was played.

~Ben

Date: January 15, 2011 16:34

BrianJones1969
71Tele
Who is the guy trying to play the part Keith Richards played on the record?

Oh.
If you mean on "Midnight Rambler," that would be Ronnie. What song are you talking about, really?

On the original "Miss You" the harmonica was provided not by Mick J. but by Sugar Blue, who later cut his own version of this song. On the VL and B2B tours the harmonica parts were dropped when this song was played.

~Ben

Can't You Hear Me Knocking is what I was referring to. He has neither the tone, the timing, nor the aggressiveness of the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-15 16:36 by 71Tele.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: January 15, 2011 19:37

71Tele
Who is the guy trying to play the part Keith Richards played on the record on Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

Oh.

ah , the penny dropped ! ha ha
even the intro is messed up

for once ronnie is playing well.

maybe a bit too long and too many instumentals to be as agresive as the original, and no agressive rhytm guitar in part one.

overal a good but mellow effort!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 17, 2011 17:45

Gazza
I think the worst of the lot must be Matt Clifford's keyboard's impersonation of a harmonica on the 1989-90 versions of 'Miss You'.

Wonderfully preserved on Flashpoint...

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 17, 2011 19:40

Gazza

Likewise his "horn section" on 'Bitch.'

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 17, 2011 23:22

BrianJones1969

Watch at around 5:38 (during the instrumental break), and you'll hear a surprise instrument not present on the original 1971 version of this tune.

This leads me to ask you all IORR'ians: what other Stones songs have had extra instruments added in live performances? For one, I know "Beast of Burden" adds another guitar part.

~Ben

There's various suprise instruments here not on the record -awfull digital conga's, fake organ, plastic piano, horrid backing vocals, out of tune harmonica, lame rythm guitar, and a bass player with the sense of swing of a brick building.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2011 23:30

duke richardson
how cool Ronnie's interpretation of Mick Taylor's solo is, with a little Wes Montgomery thrown in!

confused smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 17, 2011 23:45

deadegad
If I recall correctly, SFTD had some horns during No Security. It was atrocious.

Oddly enough, I kinda liked that arrangement.

Plenty of horns on JJF and Satisfaction on recent tours too, plus a lot of back up vocals.

There's a version of JJF on Flashpoint whch has some horrific additional vocal tracks dubbed on from about the 3:30 mark which weren't present on the live arrangements on that tour.

Date: January 18, 2011 00:01

Mathijs
BrianJones1969

~Ben

There's various suprise instruments here not on the record -awfull digital conga's, fake organ, plastic piano, horrid backing vocals, out of tune harmonica, lame rythm guitar, and a bass player with the sense of swing of a brick building.

Mathijs

That about covers it...The biggest "surprise instrument" to me was Keith's totally lame guitar.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 18, 2011 00:26

The instrumental break on CYHMK was a jam on record. Why shouldn't it be live?

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: January 18, 2011 11:50

Amsterdamned
duke richardson

confused smiley

Sure the Montgomery licks are in there. Can't you hear them? There are also a few on Sweetness Of You, even more beautifully played. Ronnie has stated many times that Wes Montgomery is one of his favourite guitar players.

Date: January 18, 2011 12:47

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
duke richardson

confused smiley

Sure the Montgomery licks are in there. Can't you hear them? There are also a few on Sweetness Of You, even more beautifully played. Ronnie has stated many times that Wes Montgomery is one of his favourite guitar players.

Sure I can.
Mick Taylor has stated that John Coltrane has influenced him a lot.
Can't you hear it with the Jack Bruce Band?

John Scofield ,Allan Holdsworth and mcLauglin stated the same.
What the heck are we talking about ?

Posted by: ricardosanchez ()
Date: January 18, 2011 12:56

Bitch

Date: January 18, 2011 13:03

Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
duke richardson

confused smiley

Sure I can.

Then what's with the confused smiley ?

I really can't hear much Coltrane from Taylor on the Bruce-stuff, neither on my bootlegs or on the You Tube-clips I've seen. Maybe I should check them out once again.

What I've heard so far is Taylor way down in the mix, playing major scales - without exceptions being cut short by Bruce - but that's another matter.

For a self-made guitar player that draws som real inspiration of Coltrane, listen to Roger Mc Guinn on The Byrds' Eight Miles High (especially live from the Clarence White-era).

Date: January 18, 2011 13:43

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
duke richardson

confused smiley

Sure I can.

Then what's with the confused smiley ?

I really can't hear much Coltrane from Taylor on the Bruce-stuff, neither on my bootlegs or on the You Tube-clips I've seen. Maybe I should check them out once again.

What I've heard so far is Taylor way down in the mix, playing major scales - without exceptions being cut short by Bruce - but that's another matter.

For a self-made guitar player that draws som real inspiration of Coltrane, listen to Roger Mc Guinn on The Byrds' Eight Miles High (especially live from the Clarence White-era).

Ok, I get your point.thumbs up

The best scenario for players like Wood and Taylor in this case is that they are trying to copy the feel and some easy licks a bit. Hope you get my point. Maybe we are talking about different things?

Post me one Wood lick where he is playing an altered lick, let's say
F minormelodic/ Ab minor melodic / Dminor pentatonc over a Dmin7b5 - G7#9b13-Cmin(maj7)
chord progression. Wes Montgommery harmonical basics.

And I'll eat my shoes.

But thanks for the list, I could mention a 100 guitar players being influenced by Coltrane,Parker,and Montgommery, one of my favourites btw.

I'am talking about hamonics.That explains my confused smiley..

Date: January 18, 2011 14:11

When rock guitar players are influenced of acomplished jazz players, there will always be a little lick here and there. In Wood's case it's his use of simple octaves and harmonies (for instance the start, where he plays Taylor's line with octaves, but there is more) that lead back to Montgomery, who is not a very technical player himself, imo. The man's got the feel.

Often, those licks are the the jazz players' trademarks - because they are catchy, simple and people can understand them pretty quickly (listen to Miles Davis).

For me, it was easy to spot Montgomery quickly in Wood's playing on Sweetness Of You, as well as in CYHMK. It wouldn't cross my mind to do a deeper comparison, other than to spot the easy stuff.

Harmonics? The initial post said "with a little Wes Montgomery thrown in!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-18 14:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2356
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home