Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Version of JJF in the Gimme Shelter movie
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 26, 2013 02:51

Can anyone name any other show in which the Stones play the version of JJF that is in the Gimme Shelter movie? I love the added guitar at the end of the song. I have listened to a number of other shows from their 1969 American Tour and do not recall hearing that specific version of JJF in any of them. Even the recordings I have heard from the other MSG show on that same day.

I also like the version of Satisfaction in the Gimme Shelter movie. Especially the part where Mick is "talking" to the audience. I don't recall hearing this version in any other show but Stones may have played that version elsewhere. I know they played Satisfaction differently when the Stones toured the UK in 1971.

NOTE: I apologize if someone replies with a link to an obscure thread from 2006 which discusses this very same topic. I swear I looked for such a thread before posting this one. eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-26 03:34 by MILKYWAY.

Re: Version of JJF in the Gimme Shelter movie
Date: March 26, 2013 16:24

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 26, 2013 18:25

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Do you want to know what shows these are from? As with anything "Ya-Ya's" related....start here:

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Date: March 28, 2013 01:35

Sorry. Allow me to elaborate.

Have you seen the Gimme Shelter movie? If so, do you remember the version of JJF at the beginning ("Welcome to the breakfast show" )? That version of JJF has a completely different ending then the way I hve heard it played in other concerts I have heard. It has a guitar part at the end which I think is really cool. I have never heard it played that way in any other concert LP or CD that I own (and I have over 100 RS shows on LP and probably that many on CD). Even the other MSG show from that day does not have this specific version of JJF.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other concert (from 1969 or whenever) where JJF is played in a similar or identical way as it was played in the Gimme Shelter movie. Specifically, where JJF was played with that cool guitar part at the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-29 01:43 by MILKYWAY.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: March 28, 2013 09:59

Do you mean Mick Taylor's guitar noodling away at the end of the song on the Gimme Shelter movie? Otherwise the ending is the same way they always end it isn't it?

Date: March 28, 2013 18:25

I guess I meant the "noodling" at the end. But I thought it was Keith. He seems to come to the front of the stage at the beginning of the "noodling." Right around 2:57. Mick Jagger is also looking toward Keith.

Date: March 28, 2013 20:25

MILKYWAY
Sorry. Allow me to elaborate.

Have you seen the Gimme Shelter movie? If so, do you remember the version of JJF at the beginning ("Welcome to the breakfast show")? That version of JJF has a completely different ending then the way I hve heard it played in other concerts I have heard. It has a guitar part at the end which I think is really cool. I have never heard it played that way in any other concert LP or CD that I own (and I have over 100 RS shows on LP and probably that many on CD). Even the other MSG show from that day does not have this specific version of JJF.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other concert (from 1969 or whenever) where JJF is played in a similar or identical way as it was played in the Gimme Shelter movie. Specifically, where JJF was played with that cool guitar part at the end.

i think it is cool too, but I think Mick Taylor (it aint keith) put a little solo bit in at that part on other occasions too..if you listen to JJF on Brussels Affair..its there... i mean on the boot version of it..not the 'official' version..

Date: March 29, 2013 00:08

Yeah it's Mick T not Keith- and I meant "noodling" in the nicest possible way. Keith meanwhile is thundering away on the descending note riff they always use to end the song. The same riff, incidently, he uses to (brilliantly) open the song on the studio version. They have rarely (if ever?)used the riff to start the song in concert-pity IMHO

Date: March 29, 2013 19:06

Tough question to answer off the top of one's head. You would have to have an encyclopedic memory. But your question raises a point that Taylor fans recognize: After all these years and after so many listens one can still stumble over something he plays that you missed before and is interesting. During the Crossfire Hurricane show Wyman says Charlie plays to Keith behind the beat and that he (Wyman) plays before the beat. He said it is a dangerous way to play because it can all fall apart in a moment. Throw in Taylor with his variations, some small, some larger in structure and you have a solid explanation why the live music at the time sounds and feels so vibrant. I will focus on the closing of JJF to hear what Taylor does, but for me the closing of TD has caught my interest over the years. From the time Keith shuts Taylor down during the GS performance in '72 to the Brussels performance some 16 months later...What happened? How did he get there? It is interesting to follow. The Brussels performance is my pick for the band's greatest moment on stage, in no small measure to Taylor's playing during the close.

Date: March 29, 2013 22:12

ozziestone
Yeah it's Mick T not Keith- and I meant "noodling" in the nicest possible way. Keith meanwhile is thundering away on the descending note riff they always use to end the song. The same riff, incidently, he uses to (brilliantly) open the song on the studio version. They have rarely (if ever?)used the riff to start the song in concert-pity IMHO

really??

i always thought the opening riff on the studio version was a B-E-A riff..in standard tuning, whereas the descending open G riff on the live versions was (capoed at 4th fret so key of cool smiley E-D-C#-B ..

Date: March 29, 2013 23:59

Yes you're right on reflection. Similar riff then.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 30, 2013 02:42

pinkfloydthebarber
ozziestone

really??

i always thought the opening riff on the studio version was a B-E-A riff..in standard tuning.

It's not in standard tuning. smiling smiley

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 30, 2013 05:08

Excellent question. Not being a musician, I couldn't quite articulate it, but I know what you're saying MILKYWAY.smoking smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 30, 2013 05:18

ozziestone
Do you mean Mick Taylor's guitar noodling away at the end of the song on the Gimme Shelter movie? Otherwise the ending is the same way they always end it isn't it?

Pretty tasty "noodling"...What's so cool about this is that Keith and Mick T. are playing the same riff, but because Keith is in open tuning and their guitars are just a tiny bit out of tune with each other, you get these really great harmonics when they play together. the other thing I love is that little bit Taylor (I assume) puts is at around 2:08, for those two times the riff is played at that point. One of the greatest live Stones performances ever, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-30 05:25 by 71Tele.

Date: April 4, 2013 04:52

During Crossfire Hurricane Keith talks about two guitars and the effect when they get it right...It can sound like a symphony...he said. I think the closing of the Brussels TD makes that point. But getting back to the '69 tour...despite the hit the road and wing it aspect, it provided many classic and enduring musical moments that stand up to anything the band ever did.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 6, 2013 01:45

I never understood why this version wasn't included on GYYYO. Also never understood why the vocals had to be overdubbed.

Date: April 6, 2013 02:02

That clip is the reason why I am here on this board to begin with. Not necessarily that exact clip, or that song, but THAT Rolling Stones. Everything is right.

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: April 6, 2013 04:27

best live version of JJF ever IMO

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: April 18, 2013 18:23

Yeah, the Gimme Shelter version of JJF (Nov 28th, 1969 1st show) is a great one.

But I happen to think that the Baltimore JJF (Nov 26th) has something even cooler during the guitar outro. This is my choice for "should have been on Ya-Yas" - although they are both great.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 18, 2013 19:14

Reagan
Yeah, the Gimme Shelter version of JJF (Nov 28th, 1969 1st show) is a great one.

But I happen to think that the Baltimore JJF (Nov 26th) has something even cooler during the guitar outro. This is my choice for "should have been on Ya-Yas" - although they are both great.

The outro sounds similar to the part setting in at 2:08 that 71Tele refers to above. Definitely adds something to the song.

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: April 18, 2013 20:47

i have it on mp3 rip of the movie if you want it mkbiesiada@gmail.com

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 18, 2013 21:33

xke38
I never understood why this version wasn't included on GYYYO. Also never understood why the vocals had to be overdubbed.

Because Taylor is out of tune for the first half of the song.

Mathijs

Date: April 19, 2013 22:08

xke38

The outro sounds similar to the part setting in at 2:08 that 71Tele refers to above. Definitely adds something to the song.

Oh, it's similar. A little Taylor noodling in both cases. They're both cool.

-R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-19 22:09 by Reagan.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 20, 2013 01:28

Really interesting to hear how many people love JJF from the 69 tour.

The first time I played YaYa's, and saw GimmeShelter, back in the early 80s, was truly a revelation for me. I understood for the first time what it meant to be a great live band, and I realized that the Stones' recorded music was just the tip of the iceberg. YaYa's and GimmeShelter turned me from a Stones fan into a Stones fanatic.

To me JJF on that tour was a completely new interpretation of the song, and I marvelled at the band's power and creativity.

Nice to find others who share such an interest in this pivotal track.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 20, 2013 04:25

I L O V E the ending Street Fighting Man from the movie... with Mick and the rose petals ( at 2:40 )

Date: April 22, 2013 04:04

custom55
I L O V E the ending Street Fighting Man from the movie... with Mick and the rose petals ( at 2:40 )

Me too. Too bad we aren't given the whole song. But that syncopated ending is something else...

Maybe someday we'll have access to the original recordings from the three NYC shows and the Baltimore show...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 04:15 by Reagan.

Date: April 22, 2013 04:14

sonomastone
Really interesting to hear how many people love JJF from the 69 tour.

The first time I played YaYa's, and saw GimmeShelter, back in the early 80s, was truly a revelation for me. I understood for the first time what it meant to be a great live band, and I realized that the Stones' recorded music was just the tip of the iceberg. YaYa's and GimmeShelter turned me from a Stones fan into a Stones fanatic.

To me JJF on that tour was a completely new interpretation of the song, and I marvelled at the band's power and creativity.

Nice to find others who share such an interest in this pivotal track.

Confession time. This is embarrassing.

The first time I heard Ya Ya's and watched Gimme Shelter, I was disappointed. I couldn't believe how different these songs sounded live as compared to the studio versions. (It's probably not a coincidence that I wasn't impressed with Exile the first 20 or 30 times I listened to it.) After a few years, I finally got it. The live performances back then were never about replicating the album version. They were about finding a groove. And when they hit the groove back in the 69 tour, they really nailed it.

The only other musical form that does this (for me) is, get ready to laugh, Dixieland Jazz.

-R

Posted by: littleredrooster ()
Date: April 22, 2013 04:43

Did anyone have the pleasure of experiencing the original 16 track Quadaphonic soundtrack of the concert sequences of Gimme Shelter when it was released.
That sound brought me back to the Plaza theater in NYC seven times during its theatrical release.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 22, 2013 09:17

The best.

Out of tune or not.

Just the best.

This was a hot band.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 22, 2013 09:21

custom55

OK... the guitars are great at 1.12

But who's playing them?

Because I don't see anyone fingering those notes, you can clearly see Keith and MT in the shot.

EDIT:
''''''
Bill is great on this... it's almost McCartneyesqe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 09:26 by GravityBoy.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home