Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Genesis publication
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2011 07:19

Blinds & Shutters..... Total Class....Wonderful piece of work...

Fanks forever Cindy and all the rest of the nameless gang.....X

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 14, 2011 07:33

bolexman
Hahaha, yeah I'm not sure. I try to erase it from my mind immediately after making the purchase, like a traumatic repressed memory. Like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Total Recall... I guess spending a grand in one week on some memorabilia was the most I have done, but that was for a few items at once... Paying $300 for a 7" single is a weird feeling, even if I have saved the money honestly (eg: Taking a thermos to work instead of buying takeaway coffees)... The other week I paid $300 for a multi-colored greek pressing of Jumping Jack Flash, original 1968 pressing. You buy a few of those records and think "Sh*t, I just spent a couple of grand". The most I have spent is probably $500 for a Beggars Banquet with flexidisc interview (the famous Japanese pressing). Thats was a good price for what it is.

Treaclefingers what are some of the jewels in your collection? I remember you collect vinyl 45s. Maybe post some in a new thread?

I've got LOTS...should probably do this in a different thread. However, my best catch was US Heart of Stone with Picture Sleeve, VG++ condition.

Got it for $17 equivalent on UK EBAY. IT's worth about $600-700.

I'd have to really look at the collection, as it's been some time since I've bought a 45. I think you'll recall I spent something like $150 for the Winning Ugly Canadian Single, with picture sleeve. I'm still trying to disremember that purchase.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 14, 2011 07:51

whitem8
bolexman, very cool you collect the music! Seriously, I don't see the difference in paying what you pay for records or limited edition books? Again, these books are written either by the artist or someone close to them and are rare, and have pictures and text that has never been released before.

You're right, its probably just personal taste. It would be great to see more critical evaluation of the Genesis books though. Personally I don't think the Genesis books are worth the amount they charge for (as seperate from what collectors pay for them). But the collectors market for them is very strong so you could say the price is justified that way. Again, if it brings someone happiness- awesome! I don't mean to offend anyone. If I could have one of the Genesis books, it would be "Blinds and Shutters".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-14 07:55 by bolexman.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 14, 2011 08:35

Not not offended at all bolexman. Your a fellow collector, just a different medium. But I too like collecting vinyl.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 14, 2011 18:13

Rockman
Blinds & Shutters..... Total Class....Wonderful piece of work...

Fanks forever Cindy and all the rest of the nameless gang.....X

Love ya!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 14, 2011 19:14

I remember buying my first Genesis book, "Songs by George Harrison". I was 27 years old, and it was a fortune to me at the time. But I thought that it was worth collecting, and it was a quality book. I would then regularly get their promotional flyers. I bought Harrison's Live in Japan, and a few others. I didn't buy any of the Stones books, because I really wasn't interested in books not signed by the artist(s). But, when I received the flyer for Exile, my favorite album by my favorite band, I couldn't resist and ordered the deluxe copy signed by Mick T and containing the extra print. I think it might have cost me $400 or so - last time I checked, people were selling the regular version for $2000, and you never see the deluxe version for sale.

I bought a copy of Blinds and Shutters recently (paid a bit of a premium for one signed by Clapton, Keith, Bill and Anita). That's a beautiful book.

The problem I have with some of their more recent books is that they seem to be taking regular photographs, taken by people who are not professional photographers, and creating books. At some point, they cross the line from "art book" to "memorabilia".

Posted by: rastapou3 ()
Date: March 8, 2011 04:49

This post is my first contribution to IORR. Hope I will not be breaking any explicit or implicit rules.

I would like to add to this tread by stating that the numbering of B&S is sort of tricky and that even if there may be rules regarding the numbering and the signature combination of this book, there are also many exceptions. Case in point, copies number 372 and 173 have the exact same signature at the same place on the bookplate. Difficult tell apart even. I have seen this situation a few times with other signature combinations so the rule may only be a general one.

As for B&S being the most sought after title, I beg to differ. As far as GP books go, in my experience It was twenty years ago today is the one to get. It is very much searched by collectors (100 copies printed), specially the roman numeral numbered promo copies (15 copies printed).

These GP books are not cheap. However the quality and creativity is there. Witness Postcards from the boys and Sometimes in NYC. Opening a package containing a new title is a sensorial experience. The touch, the smell, the sight... To some extent it is also partly a matter of priority. I'd rather drive a 1997 ford and own a copy of I me mine. That's just me really. Generally these books hold their value rather well over time.

On a totally different topic, does any stones expert here can tell me when was the last time the stones played I wanna be your man live? Maybe someone can recommend a good reference book. Thanks in advance.

One last comment for mattleeuk, are you still searching for the envelope? ;- )

A +

Rastapou3

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 8, 2011 06:21

sorry but I guess I am one of the "blind" here. How far back is it that Genesis started publishing books on rock n roll and what are the current totals to date of such items?

How many Stones/related books have they published?

And pardon me, but can someone give an overall description of Blinds and Shutters. And what is Cindy C's connection to the book, or was that just Rockman jiving?

pleximan

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: March 8, 2011 07:08

Rastapou3, which envelope?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 8, 2011 12:37

drjay
got my page book yesterday-nicely done but imo not worth the cash.would trade for a copy of exile in a heartbeat

What's it like? I understand it's mainly picture-based?

Date: March 8, 2011 23:46

Oh well, I suppose my last post is still traveling in cyber space. Here it goes again.

In answer to timbernardis, check out Genesis Publications' website. They will tell you just about everything (but not quite everything) you want to know about Blinds & Shutters.

For mattleeuk, I am refering to an envelope containing promo material from GP. I am still interested! Do get in touch sometimes.

A +

Rastapou3

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 9, 2011 07:26

I bought the book on "The WHO"....all 'live' pix....haven't seen one for sale in years....anyone have any input ?.....peter

Posted by: Urban Wheel ()
Date: March 9, 2011 13:36

Hi,

I've got now in my possession Exile by Dominique Tarle.
Very, very nice book with nice pix and stories to read.

R/UW

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'

Date: March 9, 2011 15:46

Bonjour peter,

The best way to go is to log in at genesis publications dot com. They have a section called the hall of fame. This will give you many details on most books they have published. Oddly enough they seem to have forgotten a couple of books but overall it is really well done.

A +

Rastapou3

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home