Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Social D goes Stones?
Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: January 11, 2011 10:00

Sneak preview of Social Distortion's new single California (Hustle & Flow) here;
La Times

Somewhat of a new sound for SD, very Stonesy. I'm sure some of you will dig it.

Re: OT: Social D goes Stones?
Posted by: R ()
Date: January 11, 2011 15:38

They've performed "Under My Thumb" for eons.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 11, 2011 15:57

Always loved them, been following them since Another State of Mind, which I think I'll watch, haven't seen it in a while

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: January 11, 2011 16:07

One of the GREAT bands around. Plus they did Backstreet Girl

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2011 17:12

I posted a link for the new song a few days ago. I thought it sounded very Exile-like, with the ending a bit like Midnight Rambler.

Mike Ness has mentioned that the new record has a bit of a Stones-influence. Heard it all for the first time a few days ago, and its another excellent record by them. Hope its not as long a wait for the next one.

The best band around at the minute? Probably.

Date: January 11, 2011 18:11

Gazza
I posted a link for the new song a few days ago. I thought it sounded very Exile-like, with the ending a bit like Midnight Rambler.

Mike Ness has mentioned that the new record has a bit of a Stones-influence. Heard it all for the first time a few days ago, and its another excellent record by them. Hope its not as long a wait for the next one.

The best band around at the minute? Probably.

Re; The best band around >>>could not agree with you more!

Date: January 11, 2011 18:16

Jesus, GREAT song!

Date: January 11, 2011 18:17

Must admit, I've only really discovered them in the last couple of years, but have become a huge fan in that time. Hopefully they'll be over this way in the summer.

Date: January 11, 2011 18:19

If the rest of the album comes close to this, whoaaaaaaaaaa

Date: January 11, 2011 18:23

Its already on demonoid, mickscarey, if you cant wait til next week.

[www.demonoid.me]

Glad that 'Bakersfield' made the cut. Terrific song.

Date: January 11, 2011 18:25

Got it coming tomorrow. Thanks

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 12, 2011 02:32

I listened to the first minute or so of the song. It's not bad, I just don't like the sound, it's got a very generic, modern production sound. Maybe it's my computer, but I don't think so, because other things don't sound like that. So I think it's the song, and the way it was made.

I feel this way about more and more music these days. I think there is some good stuff beneath the surface, but the way so many things are produced and/or recorded, a lot of music just doesn't grab me like it use to.

Social Distortion's songs themselves are fine, they seem like a reasonable evolution of their music. Mike Ness can't be that angry young drug addict/recovering drug addict forever, but Social Distortion can, and should, do better than this. Unfortunately, they seem to have evolved into a very generic sounding, punk form of easy-listening roots/americana product. Which people are too willing to accept because there is such a lack of good rock n' roll now, at least any that gets mainstream coverage.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 12, 2011 02:46

bustedtrousers
I listened to the first minute or so of the song. It's not bad, I just don't like the sound, it's got a very generic, modern production sound. Maybe it's my computer, but I don't think so, because other things don't sound like that. So I think it's the song, and the way it was made.

I feel this way about more and more music these days. I think there is some good stuff beneath the surface, but the way so many things are produced and/or recorded, a lot of music just doesn't grab me like it use to.

Social Distortion's songs themselves are fine,

If that's the best they've got, then they're mailing it in. That sucks. Completely.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 12, 2011 03:30

Brue
bustedtrousers

Social Distortion's songs themselves are fine,

If that's the best they've got, then they're mailing it in. That sucks. Completely.

Haha! That was my first reaction, but lately I've been trying to take a more objective view on things. You chopped off the rest of my post, where said I think they could do better, and was trying to say that you can't expect everything to be Mommy's Little Monster, or the Social Distortion album.

I honestly feel that the songwriting is o.k., if nothing overly special, and that the problem really lies in the production, more so than the songs themselves. Mike Ness has always been a good songwriter, with a knack for making new songs out of the same few chord progressions, like a lot of good musicians have. I don't think that's changed, and the songs aren't to blame, but the production is.

I had a friend years ago who considered himself a true punk rocker, and going by his record collection and whatnot, I suppose he was. We were at a bar once, waiting to see a band, and one of S.D.'s songs came on the jukebox. I mentioned something about liking it (it was from the Social Distortion/Heaven and Hell era), but how I felt they were selling out with the, at the time, newer White Light, White Heat, White Trash. He immediately said they'd sold out with the crap on the jukebox.

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. While I was bummed he didn't like what I liked, after thinking about it, I felt I couldn't really argue with him either.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 12, 2011 03:34

they always put out great rocking music. i pre-ordered from itunes so that i get the 3 bonus studio tracks!

(and i did already download it a few days ago & agree that California is the best track on the album)

Date: January 12, 2011 03:48

I realise a lot of people prefer their earlier stuff, but I thought their last album before this one ("Sex,Love & Rock 'n' Roll" ) was their best one. As good an album as released by anyone in the last decade, in fact.

There seems to have been a few 'lost' projects in the last few years, though.
from wikipedia :

In April 2008, Ness told Spinner that Social Distortion was planning an acoustic album to be released in 2009, stating "I think it could be really, really neat. It's almost like a Bob Dylan/Bruce Springsteen/Johnny Cash kind of feel with a punk edge ... but acoustic. Sometimes [the songs] are more powerful stripped down than with full volume." Ness also revealed plans for his next solo album, but he was not sure if it was going to be released before or after the follow-up to Sex, Love and Rock 'n' Roll or the acoustic album.

Ness' two solo albums (both released in 1999) are terrific. Would love to hear another one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-12 03:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 12, 2011 04:58

First I've heard of them...it sounds like it could be promising. The elements are there, vocal is good, butcI agree it is a bit generic.
"California (Hustle and Flow)," needs a bridge or something to make it more interesting.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 12, 2011 05:09

Sounds like they lost the edge of what made them a good band in the first place.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 12, 2011 05:40

It's fine with me if folks want to criticize Social D... don't go to their shows, I prefer to continue seeing them in 2,000 to 4,000 capacity venues.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 12, 2011 05:56

You can listen to a free live stream of the new album here.
[www.voxbloc.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 12, 2011 06:57

sounds good. I am not familiar with these guys, and this song rocks.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: January 12, 2011 14:12

Always thought they had a Stones-ish vibe. Good band.

One of the best concerts I ever saw (besides The Stones, of course) was Social D and Sonic Youth opening-up for Neil Young, Ragged Glory tour. Lotta gee-tar that night.thumbs up

Date: January 12, 2011 14:21

Gazza
...Ness' two solo albums (both released in 1999) are terrific. Would love to hear another one.

Heck yes! Great country feel to them ... I love Ballad of a Lonely Man cover, and he even does Long Black Veil.

Date: January 12, 2011 17:03

Sex, Love = Their best
two solo albums are great.

This new one ROCKS

Date: January 12, 2011 17:27

Just announced they're playing the Conan O'Brien show on Monday 18th January

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 13, 2011 02:42

Date: January 14, 2011 22:14

Nice. Thanks for posting

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 15, 2011 00:43

I bit over-cooked production wise - and way too clean - and the vocal sounds STP-esque as it is, that kind of moaning singing - to be compared to Exile by any means. Black Crowes would be a more fitting comparison.

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: January 16, 2011 05:02

IMO, Mike Ness is the modern day Johnny Cash.

Date: January 16, 2011 07:32

CrazyDadda
IMO, Mike Ness is the modern day Johnny Cash.

True that!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home