Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I Got The Blues Marquee 1971
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 13, 2013 01:28

Didn-t know that one

Re: I Got The Blues Marquee 1971
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 13, 2013 02:44

RawIguanaCologne
Didn-t know that one

Cool version from a show maligned for its sloppy performances but I find this and a couple of others came off well.

It's always neat to footage from such a vital time in the Stones career.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 13, 2013 03:18

Sweet!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 13, 2013 05:30

My favorite Rolling Stones song. I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I enjoy it being my personal favorite.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2013 06:52

RollingFreak
My favorite Rolling Stones song. I don't know how many people would agree with me, but I enjoy it being my personal favorite.

It's really an amazing song. They completely capture the Stax feel, and when Billy cranks it up on the B3 when they switch to Cminor on the solo, I get chills every time.

Date: April 13, 2013 08:24

I agree! I also get chills when they change to c minor in the ending (at 3 o'clock...) thumbs up

I was surprised to see this one on someone's worst Stones song ever-list here the other day, but there you go...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2013 09:52

One of my favs as well. A pure stax soul work out. The opening clearly inspired by Love in Vain. The entire band sounds phenomenal on the studio version. Mick sings his soul out on it, especially at the end, "I'm gonna tear my hair out, just for you!" that whole stanza is intense. Yeah, and the change to Billy's solo is sublime.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 13, 2013 14:32

andrewt
Cool version from a show maligned for its sloppy performances but I find this and a couple of others came off well.

I agree and I still don't get why the show has been maligned.
We sadly got no other footage from 1970-1971 that we have to deal with that one.
Ok ,they played better in 1969, but it's cool to see them play in 1971 anyway, and I don't find the show sloppy, some other ones that have been played later are far more worst in my humble opinion...but to each his own...

HMN

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 13, 2013 15:49

Excellent...and the only live version available to watch I believe?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2013 15:57

Performed again in 1999. Not quite as convincing, but; nice effort
Jagger's voice is good

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 13, 2013 16:50

There's also an outtake version from the Marquee in circulation -
it's even more intense than the final take until the Mick botches the words in the last line-and-a-half.

Date: April 13, 2013 18:44

whitem8
One of my favs as well. A pure stax soul work out. The opening clearly inspired by Love in Vain. The entire band sounds phenomenal on the studio version. Mick sings his soul out on it, especially at the end, "I'm gonna tear my hair out, just for you!" that whole stanza is intense. Yeah, and the change to Billy's solo is sublime.

I think this one, as well as Love In Vain, is heavily inspired by Otis Redding, and Steve Cropper's guitar arrangement on tracks like I've been loving you... and others.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 13, 2013 22:42

Honestman
andrewt

We sadly got no other footage from 1970-1971 that we have to deal with that one.
Ok ,they played better in 1969, but it's cool to see them play in 1971 anyway, and I don't find the show sloppy, some other ones that have been played later are far more worst in my humble opinion...but to each his own...

Yeah, Ive always like this show. a lot of people who don't like it will concede that dead flowers is good...and i got the blues...and let it rock... well, that's almost half the show already. so how can it be that bad?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 22:45 by ryanpow.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 14, 2013 04:12

ryanpow
Honestman
andrewt

Yeah, Ive always like this show. a lot of people who don't like it will concede that dead flowers is good...and i got the blues...and let it rock... well, that's almost half the show already. so how can it be that bad?

Yeah Dead Flowers is real sweet from this one. I just checked out Bitch on youtube again (check out Keith at :40-- classic) It's '69 stones with songs from Sticky Fingers. thumbs up

Unless video surfaces of Leeds it will have to do.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 13:55

Erik_Snow
Performed again in 1999. Not quite as convincing, but; nice effort
Jagger's voice is good

Actually, not bad at all! I mean total boot quality, and I bet being there it sounded fantastic. Keith stops playing for a bit, getting wrapped up in the horns, and then adds some tasty licks announcing he is back in the game. Really, well done.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 14:58

They should release a "Deluxe" Sticky fingers and put the Marquee show out at the same time on DVD!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home