Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
When did the Stones become a quasi metal band?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 10, 2011 04:23

I think it started in 1978 when Mick started playing guitar. "Some Girls" dragged out the punk and metal in the band, it was continued somewhat with "Tattoo You". I think it lasted until Steel Wheels in 1989.

I often wondered if the Stones should "heavied" up their sound with a third guitarist. It would have been interesting.

Re: When did the Stones become a quasi metal band?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 10, 2011 04:26

JJF

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 10, 2011 04:44

Citadel was pretty heavy.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 10, 2011 05:57

I dont think the stones are remotely heavy

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 10, 2011 06:07

melillo

not even mt?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 10, 2011 06:11

StonesTod
melillo

not even mt?

I think MT became heavy after he left the Stones

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 10, 2011 06:15

BluzDude
StonesTod
melillo

not even mt?

I think MT became heavy after he left the Stones

mhm. prolly cos he couldn't throw his weight around when he with with the band anyway.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:03

A lot of the songs on "Love You Live" have a bit of heavy metal feel I think.
"Honky Tonk Women" for instance:

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:07

I've never thought Of the stones as having anything to do with metal, but I suppose SFM live in the 70's MIGHT have come close.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 10, 2011 08:51

I don't think of the Stones as metal at all. If ya get too heavy, ya can't roll, and the Stones are all about rolling.

The Stones are strongly influenced by stuff like country, soul & reggae, and stay away from exotic scales like the Aeolian, or harmonic minor, etc., which makes them very un-metal (Also, you don't hear many horns in metal). I consider Sabbath the first true metal band.

At times though the Stones are the most rockin'est band on the planet, and when Keef is riffing hard they have their 'metal' moments. And Jagger is always singing about the devil don't ya know...

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 09:24

can´t understand - louder pls - can´t understand - louder pls

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 10, 2011 09:54

metal ? hahahahahahahahahaharhe . The metal euros they bring, in you mean?
jeroen

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 10, 2011 11:24

When did the Stones become a quasi metal band?

They didn't

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 10, 2011 11:45

The Sicilian
I think it started in 1978 when Mick started playing guitar. "Some Girls" dragged out the punk and metal in the band, it was continued somewhat with "Tattoo You". I think it lasted until Steel Wheels in 1989.

I often wondered if the Stones should "heavied" up their sound with a third guitarist. It would have been interesting.

Can´t follow..."metal" is a term which never came to my mind concerning the Rolling Stones.

I think Some Girls was more a less an attempt to get back "to basics" whereas
Tattoo You is a mixture of some leftovers,outtakes.
And especially side two with its´s wonderful flow ...how do you got this impression ?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 10, 2011 11:46

I can't hear any trace of metal in Stones between -78 and 81 confused smiley More disco and other dance-music which is annoying enough...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 10, 2011 11:49

They never did.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: January 10, 2011 14:52

@Sicilian: perhaps I know what you mean. I remember an Jagger interview around 1983 after recording Undercover that Jagger was bored and frustrated with playing heavy rockers, becoming a hard rock band (not in the sense of heavy metal). Less variation in music, less ballads , less country...Think that was a reason for splitting up a little bit later.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 15:13

They never been.

If they played something closer to metal, sure is not in 1978, 1976 or 1983, but some tunes of Dirty Work and especially Steel Wheels.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 10, 2011 15:17

Charlie Watts in a metal band?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 10, 2011 15:46

electricmud
@Sicilian: perhaps I know what you mean. I remember an Jagger interview around 1983 after recording Undercover that Jagger was bored and frustrated with playing heavy rockers, becoming a hard rock band (not in the sense of heavy metal). Less variation in music, less ballads , less country...Think that was a reason for splitting up a little bit later.
I also remember this or a similar interview with Mick, but as I remember it, it was more to do with Dirty Work than Undercover (As I say it might not have been the exact same Int.) If I remember rightly he was explaining the move to write the more tuneful songs of Steel Wheels......He said the band in his opinion had moved too far into Hard Rock with Dirty work......

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 16:09

Some of their mid-60s live stuff had a HM touch to it (e.g. Satisfaction from Got Live if You Want it).

Date: January 10, 2011 16:35

in the 80's. some of the tunes on dirty work and most of steel wheels have a sound of trying to keep up with the more mainstream metal bands (dokken, ratt, etc) of the time.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 10, 2011 16:42

when they covered slayers "angel of death" for the sampler "tribute to mayham"- sampler....

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 10, 2011 16:49

It lacks in as follows to be a metal band:

1. The almost exclusive concentration on the blues scheme all over their career.

2. They are all no brillant instrumentalists.

3. The guitarists (in particular KR and RW) always used to play a arpeggio style, i.e. both guitarists are in the middle of solo and rhythm (weaving mode). In metal bands often there is a rhythm guitarist and a solo guitarist or if the one plays rhythm, the other plays solo.

4. They used to bring in non-metal-instruments (brass, keyboards).

5. The style of the album production was often "dirty work". The heavy metal productions are a little bit "aseptic".

You are right that they got some punk influences on "Some Girls". But punk is no metal.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 17:41

Metal has nothing to do with blues and has more influence from classical music, the Stones have never been remotely close to playing heavy metal...thank God.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 10, 2011 18:26

stones78
Metal has nothing to do with blues and has more influence from classical music, the Stones have never been remotely close to playing heavy metal...thank God.

well since hardrock and metal is not so far away and acdc is a classic bluesinfluenced hardrock band or guns n roses, so i'm not so shure if you're right if metal takes it roots mainly from classical music and not from blues.. of course the stones never played metal.

Date: January 10, 2011 18:33

Hard rock is one thing and Heavy Metal is another...Heavy Metal is Judas Priest, Slayer, Metallica, those bands have nothing to do with blues music.
AC/DC and Guns 'n' Roses are influenced by the Stones, Chuck Berry, etc. and are on the "other side", so to speak. They can play a few heavy tunes but they are not a heavy metal band.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 10, 2011 18:34

guitarbastard
stones78

well since hardrock and metal is not so far away and acdc is a classic bluesinfluenced hardrock band or guns n roses, so i'm not so shure if you're right if metal takes it roots mainly from classical music and not from blues.. of course the stones never played metal.

Metal having more influence from classical music? Must be heavy classical music then.

But Sicilian said "quasi metal band" and I understand what he means. He voices very well why I don't like the sound of the 81/82 tours.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 10, 2011 18:43

Never!

that's probably the reason why Bill Wyman left and got into metal detector stuff.

Date: January 10, 2011 18:52

kleermaker
Metal having more influence from classical music? Must be heavy classical music then.

But Sicilian said "quasi metal band" and I understand what he means. He voices very well why I don't like the sound of the 81/82 tours.

Bach, Wagner, Vivaldi...I mean, I thought it was a well-known fact that Heavy Metal is influenced by classical music, I guess I was wrong.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home