Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Layla
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 00:19

Although this 1970 Eric Clapton (Derek & the Dominos) song is about his unrequited love for Pattie Boyd (who then was married to the late George Harrison), is there any proof that the Rolling Stones may have had an influence on this song, too? Clapton and Boyd were married from 1979-1988.

The song's title comes from Layla and Majnun, an old Persian love story by Nizami about an angry man (Majnun) who proclaims his love for a woman (Layla) he can never get. Clapton referred to Boyd as his "Layla."

The slide guitar work by the late Duane Allman (The Allman Brothers) was great, including his homage to Charlie "Bird" Parker at the very end of the song.

The LP, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, never charted in Clapton's native England, mainly because he wasn't listed anywhere on the cover. The single "Layla" didn't do well, either (not even here in the U.S., initially). Its failure was blamed by the fact it was edited to end just before its transition to the piano coda, written by drummer Jim Gordon (who was institutionalized in 1983 for murdering his mother). It only really charted after being reissued in 1972 (as the full length version) when it was also included on Clapton's first anthology LP, The History of Eric Clapton.

The piano coda was frequently heard in the 1990 movie Goodfellas.

An unplugged version of the song surfaced in 1992 on Clapton's edition of MTV Unplugged. Here there is no piano coda at the end.

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-10 00:53 by BrianJones1969.

Re: OT: Layla
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 00:39

No, the Stones had no influence on this at all, the "bird" sound at the end of the song is a homage to Charlie Parker, not Byrd. It's a fantastic album, with many underrated songs that have been eclipsed by the title track. Bobby Whitlock's "Thorn Tree In The Garden" is beautiful. And Eric's licks on "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad" are breathtaking. Clapton's playing here surpasses his Bluesbreakers and Cream years for me. Jim Gordon was a swinging drummer, too bad he later had some mental issues.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 10, 2011 00:40

This song is painful to listen too.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: January 10, 2011 01:06

If, l was stranded on a desert island,this would be the song to have..Pure joy.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 10, 2011 02:09

I had tickets to see the Allmans in 09 but had to bow out and give them to someone else.

Clapton showed and played several songs with them including Layla. Oh the agony!

Likewise, I gave up some U@2 tickets to a friend and Springsteen came on stage and played with them. %^&*@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always think of Goodfellas and dead bodies now when hearing that piano.

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: January 10, 2011 02:27

According to Bobby Whitlock, Jim Gordon did NOT write the piano coda to Layla. He said that Rita Coolidge, who was dating Gordon, wrote the piece for a song that was going to be on her sister's album. Gordon took the piece and bugged Clapton to put it on Layla as the coda and Coolidge, who was afraid of Gordon's temper (rightfully so as it turns out), never made an issue of it.

Date: January 10, 2011 02:36

Bobby said that actually Jim Horn wrote the piano part in another interview.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 10, 2011 02:39

Always love this version......................

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 10, 2011 02:51

Great recording, but no Stones influence whatsoever, imo.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 10, 2011 05:35

BrianJones1969
Although this 1970 Eric Clapton (Derek & the Dominos) song is about his unrequited love for Pattie Boyd (who then was married to the late George Harrison), is there any proof that the Rolling Stones may have had an influence on this song, too? Clapton and Boyd were married from 1979-1988.

The song's title comes from Layla and Majnun, an old Persian love story by Nizami about an angry man (Majnun) who proclaims his love for a woman (Layla) he can never get. Clapton referred to Boyd as his "Layla."

The slide guitar work by the late Duane Allman (The Allman Brothers) was great, including his homage to Charlie "Bird" Parker at the very end of the song.

The LP, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, never charted in Clapton's native England, mainly because he wasn't listed anywhere on the cover. The single "Layla" didn't do well, either (not even here in the U.S., initially). Its failure was blamed by the fact it was edited to end just before its transition to the piano coda, written by drummer Jim Gordon (who was institutionalized in 1983 for murdering his mother). It only really charted after being reissued in 1972 (as the full length version) when it was also included on Clapton's first anthology LP, The History of Eric Clapton.

~Ben

No offense, but I'm curious why you would even ask this. Is there some connection between the Stones and Clapton during this time period that leads you to think they may of had an influence on it. I can't think of one.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 10, 2011 05:42

deadegad

I always think of Goodfellas and dead bodies now when hearing that piano.

Since 1972, "Layla" has been so omni-present that it can't be fixed to a specific image. For those of us who went to high school in the '70's, that piano was "soundtrack music" for out lives....

Once I went to a wedding where the groom had arranged for the piano part to be cued up as the exit music when he and the bride walked down the aisle.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 10, 2011 05:55

i'll ask bobby whitlock about it next time i see him. we'll come up with some stones angle on it and report it back here....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 10, 2011 07:57

Given "Layla's" iconic status, it would be nice to see Derek & the Dominoes included in the RnR HoF.

Unlikely, since Duane is in with the Allman Bros, and Eric's been inducted a record three times--with the Yardbirds, Cream, and as a solo act.

Perhaps Whitlock, Radle and Gordon could get in as one of the "Friends" of "Delaney & Bonnie and Friends." Too late for Carl, and Jim's story is even more tragic. But it would be nice to see Bobby Whitlock have his day, and moment of recognition Great musician who's given us countless hours of enjoyment...

Posted by: paragoensia ()
Date: January 10, 2011 08:10

Didn't Keith play "Layla" on stage with clapton? I think it is on "bloodbrothers"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 10, 2011 08:56

Overrated...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 10, 2011 11:13

Love this song but can not stand the acoustic version.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 10, 2011 15:23

Ug...One of my least favorite songs. Maybe because it's so overplayed on radio. Then again, I'm not much of a Clapton fan.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: January 10, 2011 17:09

What a coincidence:

Layla reissued after 40 years

Derek and The Dominos classic “Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs” will be getting a 40th Anniversary release in March 2011. Ok, so it is late by a few months, but who’s counting!

The set will be available in three formats:

1 newly remastered CD
2 2CD Deluxe Edition
3 4CD/1DVD/2LP Super Deluxe Edition

The provisional details are as follows:

1. Layla remastered CD
2. Layla bonus CD (13 tracks including Johnny Cash TV Show and 6 Second album recordings)
3. Layla 5.1 Surround Sound DVD (Elliot Scheiner mixes)
4. In Concert remastered 2CDs with 4 bonus tracks

We understand that the vinyl album will be mastered from the UK ‘Super Polydor’ master tapes.

Bobby Whitlock’s long awaited autobiography is due to be published at the same time.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 10, 2011 17:18

His only one I like.

Date: January 10, 2011 17:39

The only thing I can think about in terms of "influence" is that majestic interlude in Monkey Man, with the piano and slide guitar. Maybe it had something to do with the way the piano coda was arranged here but maybe not at all.

Date: January 10, 2011 18:34

there is a certain "nicky" quality to the coda that whitlock plays

Date: January 10, 2011 18:48

I don't quite get the question either. It's a great track though.
Q - in the top picture, the purple one with dog: besides Radle, Gordon and Clapton - who is the 4th dude? Whitlock? Have never seen what he looks like, but heard so many tales about him.

Date: January 10, 2011 18:49

whitlock lives in austin and plays a weekly gig with his wife at a small local joint for $10 cover.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 10, 2011 18:59

am I missing something? There's nothing in the original post to claim what the Stones influence might be. Since it's not obvious from the track, it needs to be pointed out. Especially since the track is basically 2 different songs--which one might be influenced by the Stones?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 10, 2011 19:07

Trivia Fact. Jim Gordon is the only artist ever to recieve a Grammy while serving a prison term. He got it for co - writter when Clapton got his for the unplugged version.

Date: January 10, 2011 19:27

More Hot Rocks
Trivia Fact. Jim Gordon is the only artist ever to recieve a Grammy while serving a prison term. He got it for co - writter when Clapton got his for the unplugged version.

that's very rock'n'roll. chuck berry would approve, i think, even if jim's offense was cleary over the top. we need more jailhouse rockers....

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 20:49

Well, I can tell you the first part of the song has its signature opening guitar riff taken from the vocal melody to Albert King's "As the Years Go Passing By." Jim Gordon was responsible for the piano melody.

But do you think the Stones' "Gimme Shelter" may have played a part here or there? Only Eric Clapton would know for sure.

~Ben

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 10, 2011 20:53

Not much from Clapton is original.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 10, 2011 21:54

BrianJones1969

But do you think the Stones' "Gimme Shelter" may have played a part here or there? Only Eric Clapton would know for sure.

~Ben

I don't think so. At least I can't really hear any connection between the two.

Anyway, I think "Layla" is brilliant. The whole album is great for the awesome guitar work but some of the songs, lyric-wise at least, are lacking. "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad" is one of the most rocking guitar laden songs ever, but what a sappy title!! I couldn't stand on stage and sing that chorus with a straight face, but I love the music and the guitar work. The Dominos did some epic live versions of this song in 1970.

The Dominos were incredible musicians, and Jim Gordon was one of, if not the best rock and roll drummer of all time for my money. The Layla album certainly contains some very inspired playing and singing and most of it is excellent, but some of the lyrics just don't do it for me. I suppose it's just a matter of preference. I feel this way about much of Clapton's career though from '70 on. You won't find a much bigger fan of his in terms of his guitar work, but his lyrics are often lacking.

Date: January 10, 2011 22:04

Tumblin_Dice_07
BrianJones1969

~Ben

I don't think so. At least I can't really hear any connection between the two.

Anyway, I think "Layla" is brilliant. The whole album is great for the awesome guitar work but some of the songs, lyric-wise at least, are lacking. "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad" is one of the most rocking guitar laden songs ever, but what a sappy title!! I couldn't stand on stage and sing that chorus with a straight face, but I love the music and the guitar work. The Dominos did some epic live versions of this song in 1970.

The Dominos were incredible musicians, and Jim Gordon was one of, if not the best rock and roll drummer of all time for my money. The Layla album certainly contains some very inspired playing and singing and most of it is excellent, but some of the lyrics just don't do it for me. I suppose it's just a matter of preference. I feel this way about much of Clapton's career though from '70 on. You won't find a much bigger fan of his in terms of his guitar work, but his lyrics are often lacking.

lacking more than many/most of the stones' lyrics?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home