Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Tribute?
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: January 9, 2011 16:19

C'mon, Mick and Keith. If Ian is going to get a tribute album, how about the guy who actually started the whole thing and was an official member of the band? Remember, boys, how important and popular he was? Are you guys going to continue to ignore this elephant in the room? Come on, Keith, drop the hate and grow up. You're not 19 anymore. Mick, stop focusing on what brought down Brian ('unfit for show business', 'wanted to be the leader', etc.) and start acknowledging what he did as a musician and how he helped the Stones become such an awesome band. There comes a time in life when one must drop all petty feelings aside and do the right thing. Yeah, Brian was a pain at times and stopped showing up to the studio. So what? Nobody is perfect. Brian Jones was a member of the Rolling Stones from 1962 to 1969 and there should be some public acknowledgement of his legacy from all surviving members of the band, and I'm talking strictly here of a POSITIVE legacy. The guy certainly did some great things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-09 16:20 by neptune.

Re: Brian Tribute?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 9, 2011 18:10

It ain't going to happen!

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 9, 2011 18:14

Amen brother! But it won't happen, The Glimmers wouldn't do that since they don't want to look at Brian as an important part of their past. They want to remember him as a burden and a meanie who had to go. Nothing else.

Today Brian seems to be more famous for being abusve to women and a horrible guy than for his musical abilities. Keith's more recent verdicts on Brian seems to be the one that counts for most people and with that in mind I would be surprised if the majority of the fans think that Brian deserves a record like that. Keith wouldn't like that at all and I don't think that Mick would show any interest in it either.

Date: January 9, 2011 18:29

The band continuing is in a round about way a tribute to Brian, it's unlikely that they even see it like that, but it is.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 9, 2011 18:50

It would be good if they did it, but as the above posters have said - it's unlikely. So, in a way I like to think of Let It Bleed, Sticky FIngers and Exile as tribute albums to Brian. Brian warned Mick and Keith not to put out Satanic Majesty's, he argued strongly that this was the wrong direction for the Stones to go and wanted to stick with their blues roots rather than try and copy SGT Pepper and go all psychadelic. He was right and they realised this but by that time they had made up their minds that they wanted him out and he was struggling to play by then. The rest is history, but as someone posted all the records which followed Brian's death are a tribute to him and the ones issued nearest to his death were the best - that says it all.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: January 9, 2011 19:55

The closest they've come to a tribute is with Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka release. It was the first release on Rolling Stones Records in 1971.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 9, 2011 20:00

His Majesty
The band continuing is in a round about way a tribute to Brian, it's unlikely that they even see it like that, but it is.

The Rolling Stones were constantly evolving throughout the late-60’s and the 1970’s, so I’ll disagree with you there. Also, if the continuing was some kind of a tribute, then surely it has to be a conscious thought? I’m interested in hearing your reasoning on this one.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 9, 2011 20:30

That should have been done 1969 in july...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 9, 2011 21:21

Big Al
His Majesty

The Rolling Stones were constantly evolving throughout the late-60’s and the 1970’s, so I’ll disagree with you there. Also, if the continuing was some kind of a tribute, then surely it has to be a conscious thought? I’m interested in hearing your reasoning on this one.

The reasoning is that the band wouldn't exist in the first place had Brian not lit the fuse. He had intent and saw it through to it's full conclusion.

The story evolved and carried on, but without that initial intent there is no spring board for the story to evolve.

Great things start from small beginnings, a simple advert, a spark of an idea. Brian's idea is the foundation stone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-09 21:32 by His Majesty.

Date: January 9, 2011 22:05

His Majesty

Yes, the Rolling Stones became huge and are still relevant, but how popular is Brian these days? I remember going to a Stones show in 2003 and wondering what percentage of the huge audience even knew who Brian Jones was. I guessed probably about 20%. So, is the Stones continuing really a tribute to him if it has done nothing for his legacy? Brian is a largely forgotten figure now because Mick and Keith have steadfastly refused to acknowledge him in any way over the years, only speaking of him when pressed by a journalist. The point here is whether Mick and Keith should do something OFFICIAL in memory of Brian, and not something like Continental Drift (people like to think this was a dedication to Brian but where is he in the credits?) or the Rock and Roll HOF dedication speech (where Mick had to say something about Brian).

Date: January 9, 2011 22:10

His Majesty
Brian's idea is the foundation stone.

Don't tell that to Keith or Mick. Little Boy Blue turned into the Rolling Stones. Brian was brought along for the ride.

Date: January 9, 2011 22:18

There's no sign or much chance that they'll do anything as a tribute to Brian.

How popular is Brian? Impossible to answer, but everyday there's a lot of people all over the world who listen to music which Brian was an important part of and enjoy the he'll out of it!

Keith can call Brian an @#$%& and go on and on about how he did this and that as much as he wants, but folks still enjoy the music so fuk Keith and his immature inability to let go of events from 40+ years ago.

Date: January 9, 2011 23:17

tonterapi
Keith's more recent verdicts on Brian seems to be the one that counts for most people and with that in mind I would be surprised if the majority of the fans think that Brian deserves a record like that.

If most Stones fans don't think Brian deserves some sort of tribute from the band, then I think there's something wrong with them. Brian wasn't this smallish figure in the band's history. He was a big-time contributor to the band. Again, if they're going to do something for Stu, then the question must be asked to Mick and Keith: What about Brian Jones? Stu wasn't an official member of the band and played piano on a few tracks. Brian was an official member, founded the band with his ad, named it, and played wonderfully on many songs throughout the most critical period in the group's history. How on earth does that not warrant some sort of official acknowledgement via a tribute album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-09 23:21 by neptune.

Date: January 9, 2011 23:25

His Majesty
How popular is Brian? Impossible to answer, but everyday there's a lot of people all over the world who listen to music which Brian was an important part of and enjoy the he'll out of it!

. . . and will think Keith Richards played those parts! Case in point, several music magazines that have credited the Little Red Rooster slide to Keith. How popular is Brian, you ask? That's easy to answer: not popular at all. And he's not popular now because Mick and Keith have refused to credit him in any way over the years. They have the power to write the band's history the way they see fit, and have willingly chosen to lift Ian Stewart's legacy to Syd Barrett-like heights in recent years. Yet, Brian the actual band member who had to go up on stage with them in hundreds of shows and TV appearances and record with them numerous times, is given the posterity shaft. Odd and unfair, if you ask me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-09 23:55 by neptune.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 9, 2011 23:31

I also think he deserved it

Date: January 9, 2011 23:31

neptune
His Majesty

. . . and will think Keith Richards played those parts! Case in point, several music magazines that have credited the Little Red Rooster slide to Keith. How popular is Brian, you ask? Not popular at all.

They do that kinda thing whether the actual player is popular or not, lazy journalism.

It doesn't take too much effort to find out Brian played the slide on that track, or he played Dulcimer on... etc etc.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 9, 2011 23:33

neptune
C'mon, Mick and Keith. If Ian is going to get a tribute album, how about the guy who actually started the whole thing and was an official member of the band? Remember, boys, how important and popular he was? Are you guys going to continue to ignore this elephant in the room? Come on, Keith, drop the hate and grow up. You're not 19 anymore. Mick, stop focusing on what brought down Brian ('unfit for show business', 'wanted to be the leader', etc.) and start acknowledging what he did as a musician and how he helped the Stones become such an awesome band. There comes a time in life when one must drop all petty feelings aside and do the right thing. Yeah, Brian was a pain at times and stopped showing up to the studio. So what? Nobody is perfect. Brian Jones was a member of the Rolling Stones from 1962 to 1969 and there should be some public acknowledgement of his legacy from all surviving members of the band, and I'm talking strictly here of a POSITIVE legacy. The guy certainly did some great things.

Hearts of Stone?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 9, 2011 23:39

He does seem to come off as kind of an a-hole. Even Wyman and Watts have stated that he could be nice and then a jerk five minutes later. The resentments that built up while he was alive maybe can not be overlooked by Mick and Keith. Mick did acknowledge him at the HOF inductions and Keith does in Life a little bit but he does more to slag him in the book. Hey Keith took Anita and it got really personal so I don;t think you are going to see an out pooring of love from Keith.

Date: January 10, 2011 00:04

slew
He does seem to come off as kind of an a-hole. Even Wyman and Watts have stated that he could be nice and then a jerk five minutes later. The resentments that built up while he was alive maybe can not be overlooked by Mick and Keith. Mick did acknowledge him at the HOF inductions and Keith does in Life a little bit but he does more to slag him in the book. Hey Keith took Anita and it got really personal so I don;t think you are going to see an out pooring of love from Keith.

Sometimes Mick comes across as a little cold hearted to me.

Date: January 10, 2011 00:07

slew
He does seem to come off as kind of an a-hole.

To be fair so do Mick and Keith, just in different ways and they've all had their down times.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 10, 2011 00:08

>> if they're going to do something for Stu <<

who is this "they" you're referring to, neptune?
the Stones are not the "masterminds" of the Stu tribute album -
Glyn Johns, who was a good friend of Stu's, seems to be the main "motor" behind it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-10 00:09 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: January 10, 2011 00:13

neptune
His Majesty

. . . and will think Keith Richards played those parts! Case in point, several music magazines that have credited the Little Red Rooster slide to Keith. How popular is Brian, you ask? That's easy to answer: not popular at all. And he's not popular now because Mick and Keith have refused to credit him in any way over the years. They have the power to write the band's history the way they see fit, and have willingly chosen to lift Ian Stewart's legacy to Syd Barrett-like heights in recent years. Yet, Brian the actual band member who had to go up on stage with them in hundreds of shows and TV appearances and record with them numerous times, is given the posterity shaft. Odd and unfair, if you ask me.

+1 thumbs up

I reread Keith's 1971 Rolling Stone interview. What a great interview all around! I don't understand how a person can go from that to what he wrote in Life. For what it is worth, Anita and Marianne Faithfull have both referred to Brian as a genius in different interviews throughout the years. Do they know something we don't know?

Date: January 10, 2011 00:17

Marie

+1 thumbs up

I reread Keith's 1971 Rolling Stone interview. What a great interview all around! I don't understand how a person can go from that to what he wrote in Life. For what it is worth, Anita and Marianne Faithfull have both referred to Brian as a genius in different interviews throughout the years. Do they know something we don't know?

I don't think Keith speaking like he does in Life would have went down all that well in 1971, plus it may have drawn further unwanted attention.

That's is he even felt the same way back then as he does now, I don't get the impression he did or if he did, he kept it schtoom.

Date: January 10, 2011 00:20

His Majesty
slew
He does seem to come off as kind of an a-hole.

To be fair so do Mick and Keith, just in different ways and they've all had their down times.

True, none of these guys are without their flaws, although that could be said for any of us for that matter.

Date: January 10, 2011 00:25

stonescrow

True, none of these guys are without their flaws, although that could be said for any of us for that matter.

Indeed!

Date: January 10, 2011 04:03

with sssoul

Glyn Johns, who was a good friend of Stu's, seems to be the main "motor" behind it

Oh please. Mick and Keith performing on this tribute means they are the MOTORS behind it. If Mick and Keith didn't agree to perform, there would be no Stu tribute album, period. Let's not be fools here.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 10, 2011 10:00

>> Let's not be fools here <<

LoFL: too late for that, innit?!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 10, 2011 10:09

I went to a Brian tribute gig at the Marquee Club when it was in Charing Cross Road in about 94. Playing were The Pretty Things and a whole lot of other 60s related acts. I remember being introduced to his son Julian and having a doobie with him. He looked just like his dad. Then was invited backstage and
Marianne was there talking to Phil May. Great gig. I think there was a 2nd gig near Cheltenham too.

Date: January 10, 2011 12:59

neptune
His Majesty
Brian's idea is the foundation stone.

Don't tell that to Keith or Mick. Little Boy Blue turned into the Rolling Stones. Brian was brought along for the ride.

...Well, that's History for ya. The Winners & Survivors are ALWAYS right.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: courtfieldroad ()
Date: January 10, 2011 18:08

with sssoul

Thanks for pointing that out, with sssoul, nothing I've read comes off like the Stones spearheaded the effort, they're just taking part.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home