Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The Stones have never Misled their Fans
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 7, 2011 23:31

EddieByword
KRiffhard
slewan
colonial
Theres one thing about The Rolling Stones they've always been straight up honest with their fans..

HAHAHAHAHAHA - I only say:
1. Blondie (their 'secret weapon' (Jagger)). Somebody playing guitar more or less hidden in the background, trying to give the audience the impression that Keith and Ronnie still playing well (and all the time)
2. Watch the Biggest Bang DVD or listen to any officially released 'live' CD - and try to count the overdubs (on the DVD there's a lot of asynchronicity! - here's just one example:

So don't tell me the Stones don't fool their fans!

...very very sadsad smiley
Quote slewan.. > playing guitar more or less hidden in the background, trying to give the audience the impression that Keith and Ronnie still playing well (and all the time) <

Huh ? He must be really well hidden, I watched this twice and could only see the Stones, Chuck Leavell and Darryl Jones.....................Overdubs....haven't they been par for the course for live releases at least since Get yer ya yas out...?

1. even if everybody sells overdubbed stuff as 'live' it doesn't make this practice any better, does it?
2. a. you just see the B-stage, not the main stage (thus nobody can tell what's happening there)
2 b. I didn't say that Blondie plays on each and every song
2 c. what you seen on this clip doesn't fit to what you hear and vice versa…

Date: January 7, 2011 23:33

mtaylor
KRiffhard
slewan
colonial
Theres one thing about The Rolling Stones they've always been straight up honest with their fans..

1. Blondie (their 'secret weapon' (Jagger)). Somebody playing guitar more or less hidden in the background, trying to give the audience the impression that Keith and Ronnie still playing well (and all the time)
2. Watch the Biggest Bang DVD or listen to any officially released 'live' CD - and try to count the overdubs (on the DVD there's a lot of asynchronicity

Maybe you would insist like "Bild", that everything is "playback"!!!

I don't think it's all playback, but obviously the Stones themselves (or their representatives) don't think that what they do live is good enough to be released as 'live'

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 7, 2011 23:33

71Tele

OK, quoting Styx is a new low on this site. cool smiley

I knew someone would say that. can't say that i disagree but...my point was....to those
that like to put their rock stars on a higher pedestal than they deserve.....all showbiz etc...
is an illusion. It's all about creating an image for consumers to buy. Of course rock stars,
actors & the rest....are constantly misleading the public.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: January 7, 2011 23:36

quite amazing that nobody really defends the Stones here. We are all schizophrenic somehow, aren't we? I mean: we get fooled by the Stones and consider us still to be fans

Date: January 7, 2011 23:38

EddieByword

Huh ? He must be really well hidden, I watched this twice and could only see the Stones, Chuck Leavell and Darryl Jones.....................Overdubs....haven't they been par for the course for live releases at least since Get yer ya yas out...?

Overdubs and all...that is a great clip. I'm not an expert on detecting overdubs or Blondie playing in the
background....so I will take the word of those that seem to be certain. The reason you don't see them
Eddie is because they are still back there on the "A" stage.

Date: January 7, 2011 23:40

slewan
quite amazing that nobody really defends the Stones here. We are all schizophrenic somehow, aren't we? I mean: we get fooled by the Stones and consider us still to be fans

one can still love/like the music and accept the BS. not sure why so many think you
have to idolize EVERYTHING about them....like a schoolgirl crush on David Cassidy or something. ??

Date: January 7, 2011 23:41

sweet neo con

Overdubs and all...that is a great clip. I'm not an expert on detecting overdubs or Blondie playing in the
background....

For beginners: watch Mick's lip movements and/or the guitar players' fingers and listen to what you hear at the very same moment - you'll notice that there's something wrong

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 7, 2011 23:47

sweet neo con
71Tele

I knew someone would say that. can't say that i disagree but...my point was....to those
that like to put their rock stars on a higher pedestal than they deserve.....all showbiz etc...
is an illusion. It's all about creating an image for consumers to buy. Of course rock stars,
actors & the rest....are constantly misleading the public.

I certainly agree with that, but to quote a group that made a concept album about a robot and came up with some of the most bombastic pretentious tripe in the history of the form is just too much.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 8, 2011 00:14

slewan

Simple - because the thread title leaves no room for a defence unless you agree that it's a correct statement, as its completely untrue.

Fan of their music? Absolutely - 100%. Doesn't mean I have to approve of their business ethics and how un-fan friendly they've become in recent years. Or defend a statement which is so ludicrous, you could easily dig out dozens of examples to disprove it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 8, 2011 00:18

sweet neo con
slewan

one can still love/like the music and accept the BS. not sure why so many think you
have to idolize EVERYTHING about them....like a schoolgirl crush on David Cassidy or something. ??

bingo. of what i know of these blokes, there's not much i admire, music aside....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 8, 2011 00:22

colonial
..but the way some fans go on about them anyone would think they've deliberately gone out there to try and mislead their fans.Why would they want to do that for?
Because they can?eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 8, 2011 00:30

Gazza
Simple - because the thread title leaves no room for a defence unless you agree that it's a correct statement, as its completely untrue.

Fan of their music? Absolutely - 100%. Doesn't mean I have to approve of their business ethics and how un-fan friendly they've become in recent years. Or defend a statement which is so ludicrous, you could easily dig out dozens of examples to disprove it.
A mirror of my own thoughts Gazza. Being a fan is not necessarily in for a penny in for a pound. There are many things I love about the Rolling Stones, somethings I like and somethings that put me off...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 8, 2011 00:35

colonial
Peoples circumstances change all the time it happens to all of us..and im sure The Stones have had to go back on their word a few times..but the way some fans go on about them anyone would think they've deliberately gone out there to try and mislead their fans.Why would they want to do that for?

..because people who adhere to the concept of blind loyalty can be gullible and easily exploited for financial gain?

No offence, colonial - but your blind adoration at all costs shows some incredible naivety.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 8, 2011 00:56

slewan
EddieByword
KRiffhard
slewan
colonial

2. Watch the Biggest Bang DVD or listen to any officially released 'live' CD - and try to count the overdubs (on the DVD there's a lot of asynchronicity! - here's just one example:

Quote slewan.. > playing guitar more or less hidden in the background, trying to give the audience the impression that Keith and Ronnie still playing well (and all the time) <

1. even if everybody sells overdubbed stuff as 'live' it doesn't make this practice any better, does it?
2. a. you just see the B-stage, not the main stage (thus nobody can tell what's happening there)
2 b. I didn't say that Blondie plays on each and every song
2 c. what you seen on this clip doesn't fit to what you hear and vice versa…
1.Ah, nope, can't disagree with that, just not surprised by it as to even remark on it...as I grew up with it as normal....

2.a. O.K. fair enough, I didn't relalize that's what you were implying...

2.b. I never said you did....

2.c. Some of it does, but yeah, that's not great....but if you sit back and close your eyes.....drinking smiley....but yeah I get your point...but then I guess that's why there's such a demand for boots ...to get the raw uncut stuff.....BUT ...try selling an unpolished bootstyle live show in Walmart or Asda (UK British subsidiary of Walmart)...it just would be a complete waste of time which even if the bands did want to do the record companies would never ever do

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-08 03:16 by EddieByword.

Date: January 8, 2011 01:03

You've got to hand it to Colonial though, his threads do get people chatting...

Date: January 8, 2011 01:06

sweet neo con
EddieByword

background....so I will take the word of those that seem to be certain. The reason you don't see them
Eddie is because they are still back there on the "A" stage.
Oh right, O.K. thanks, as I said to Slewan, I thought he was implying that Blondie was tucked away behind an amp on the small stage, hence the Huh ? Cheers, Eddie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-08 01:08 by EddieByword.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 8, 2011 01:08

EddieByword
You've got to hand it to Colonial though, his threads do get people chatting...

everybody loves colonial angus....ooops, wrong skit....

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 8, 2011 02:59

71Tele
sweet neo con
The Grand Illusion
(Dennis DeYoung - Styx)

Welcome to the grand illusion
Come on in and see what's happening
Pay the price, get your tickets for the show
The stage is set, the band starts playing
Suddenly your heart is pounding
You're wishing secretly you were a star

But don't be fooled by the radio
The TV or the magazines
They'll show you photographs of how your life should be
But they're just someone else's fantasies
So if you think your life is complete confusion
'Cause you never win the game

Just remember that it's a grand illusion
And deep inside we're all the same
We're all the same

So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because your neighbor's got it made
Just remember that it's a grand illusion
And deep inside we're all the same

America spells competition
Join us in our blind ambition
Get yourself a brand new motorcar
Someday soon we'll stop to ponder
What on earth's this spell we're under
We made the grade and still we wonder
Who the hell we are

True, but considering the source, not surprising.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 8, 2011 03:04

AND NOW the nadir of the whole thread :

Achtung! Crap music!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 8, 2011 03:40

colonial
Peoples circumstances change all the time it happens to all of us..and im sure The Stones have had to go back on their word a few times..but the way some fans go on about them anyone would think they've deliberately gone out there to try and mislead their fans.Why would they want to do that for?

stonescrow..on a few occasions has even gone as far as calling The Rolling Stones "The Masters of Disception"..or something along those lines..I have to totally disagree on that stonescrow

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 8, 2011 03:51

Wow if you thought you started a nice positive thread, that just turned to shit!!!
I'm sensing the bs detector is at mac capacity!LOL

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 8, 2011 04:46

Bliss
What about Mick selling himself as the ultimate sex god for his entire career, and now it has been revealed that he has an undersized penis?

I demand a refund!

its not the size that counts but the motion in the ocean in this case

Re: The Stones have never Missile'd their Fans
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 8, 2011 06:55

Dang! misread the title^^ "The Stones have never Missile'd their Fans"

...cause I got clocked with Charlie's drumstick once, Ouch!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 8, 2011 08:22

ineedadrink
bands mislead their fans all the time. the stones are no exception. go to a concert and what do they say? "hello (insert your city here), we love this place!" or "you're the best crowd we've had this tour!".

Every time, or almost, U2 play 'where The streets have no name' Bono says to the crowd, in response to their enthusiasm, 'Wow!,' as if, Big If, he has never heard such an enthusiastic crowd before.

But it is not that there's anything wrong with that.

Re: The Stones have never Missile'd their Fans
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: January 8, 2011 10:47

open-g
Dang! misread the title^^ "The Stones have never Missile'd their Fans"

...cause I got clocked with Charlie's drumstick once, Ouch!

+1. B stage. Was watching Keith and never saw it coming.

Date: January 8, 2011 13:42

Edith Grove
Some members of the "fan club" will disagree with you.

Even if the fan club operation was contracted out, it still represented the Stones.

...Right on the mark, Edith Grove.
thumbs up

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 8, 2011 13:45

mailexile67
...One album of new stuff in 8 years...Now, it's passed still 6 years and nothing...It's 3 years and a half from the last show...I think that they've really misleaded their fans!

mailexile67..Just because The Stones haven't released a new album or gone on Tour in all this time.Why would ya' get the impression The Stones are misleading their fans just because of the time they take to do things nowadays.Anybody would think The Stones are indebted to their fans for the rest of their lives or something.

Date: January 8, 2011 17:00

Gazza
the thread title leaves no room for a defence unless you agree that it's a correct statement, as its completely untrue.

...Nailed it, Gazza.thumbs up
+1!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 8, 2011 18:34

The Stones are indebted to their fans? No they're not. The Stones have never once asked their fans to actually buy anything. And the whole world knows they're 3000 years old with combined age.

Why some people take umbrage with being so whiny spoiled that they haven't released something between A Bigger Bang and now other than a DVD box set and a movie is beyond me - they aren't the Stones of the 1960s or 1970s. Hell, they're not the Stones of ANY of the decades they've been making records in. They don't need to be - they've done it.

We've just started a new decade. They're on course - IF they do indeed record a new record - to lessen what they did the previous decade by half.

If one wants to be a fan of a band that records more albums than a minimum of 3 a decade then one had better stop bitching about the Stones and find someone else to follow. Like the Drive-By Truckers. The Stones did that kind of output and more - EONS ago. Now they don't. Really not sure what the problem is. Everyone knows they really don't need to write new songs. They really have no reason to exist other than to play the same ol' songs again for a lot of money. If they record a new record it's because they can. They can imitate themselves and people will love it. They can do something different and it won't matter. It hasn't mattered for a long time.

And what's the point anyway? The Stones put a new record out, nobody likes it, including the Stones, obvious from their refusal to play the good songs off of it. Their back catalogue is HUGE. Every new record since TATTOO YOU has pretty much removed them that much more each time for their legacy that they had built up by the release of Let's Spend The Night Together. But they plow on, recording some decent things and some lousy things - and people still seem to buy the records. If they ever record another album, some people will buy it, a lot won't. Nothing new there.

Regardless of how good or bad it is, the Stones will not have misled their fans. They never have. Fans have misled themselves about the Stones. Even with the lack of output and the overindulgence of reissuing the same songs live again ad nauseum on another live DVD set or live album or another movie I still buy it, still go see it - because, as much as I don't like it in terms of not being convinced, I do like it. Selectively, of course, ha ha. "Ahh, whatever, it's the Stones." That's just what fans do. I don't attempt to convince those around me. It doesn't change anything. It means nothing. It's already been done.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 8, 2011 18:51

Most of us live in a free country. We can say and write what we like, and we can spend our money as we please. If we have some extra money to spend then we are free to buy a Stones record, and to buy a ticket for one of their shows. If we don't think it is worth it, we can choose to spend our money on pizza and beer instead.

The Stones have been available for the fans for 50 years. They could have retired and lived a quiet family life ages ago, but they keep making new records and tours. I think I have got a lot more than I expected when I became a Stones fan 40 years ago. Thank you for the music, and for all the great moments!

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home