Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Robert Cray at Trabendo on 28/02/2013 (full audio posted)
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 1, 2013 13:15

Not completely OT of course since he played with the Stones (Stop Breaking Down, Miami PPV 12/94) and with Keith (St Louis for the Chuck Berry Hail Hail RnR movie), and maybe on other occasions as well? Anyway this guitar genius will be playing at the Trabendo on 28/02/2013, a venue that now belongs to the Stones' legend

I guess he's no longer the high profile guitar player he was between 85 and 95, it's hard to stay at the top only very few do, but his latest albums have gotten good reviews so I'll check them out.

Stellar reviews here : [reviews.ticketmaster.com]

Anyone else going or thinking of going?

UPDATED 21/03/2013 : Here is the full recording in MP3 of the Trabendo concert : [we.tl] (link good until 4 April, 2013)

Intro
I Shiver
Two Steps from The End
Right Next Door
Don't You Even Care?
Bad Influence
Poor Johnny
Won't Be Coming Home
Fix This
Chicken in the Kitchen
Worry
One in the Middle (with Organ Solo)
Sadder Days
Smoking Gun

Encore:
A Memo (Nothin But Love)
Time Makes Two

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-21 15:17 by gotdablouse.

Re: OT - Robert Cray at Trabendo on 28/02/2013
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 1, 2013 13:53

gotdablouse
and maybe on other occasions as well?

He played with Keith and others at the Legends Of Guitar festival in Seville in 1991.
He also opened for the Stones at some of the European shows in 1995.

Date: February 1, 2013 13:54

He opened in Oslo in 1995. Nice, but nothing more, imo.

Date: February 1, 2013 14:52

Yeah too bad he didn't open at Longchamps in 95 and we got Bon Jovi instead!

So just "nice"? Think you're being a bit harsh on the man, nice clean sound and fluid lines, no? Will have to listen to him again.

@erikjjf - Ah yes Seville, saw that again recently too, duh...

Wonder if he's still chummy with Clapton and Keith, the fact that his career didn't take off as it looked like it would may have left him a bit bitter...He's not the only guitarist that was heralded as the next EC/Jimmy/Stevie that somewhat faded though. Stanley Jordan comes to mind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-01 15:01 by gotdablouse.

Date: February 1, 2013 15:08

gotdablouse
Yeah too bad he didn't open at Longchamps in 95 and we got Bon Jovi instead!

So just "nice"? Think you're being a bit harsh on the man, nice clean sound and fluid lines, no? Will have to listen to him again.

@erikjjf - Ah yes Seville, saw that again recently too, duh...

Wonder if he's still chummy with Clapton and Keith, the fact that his career didn't take off as it looked like it would may have left him a bit bitter...He's not the only guitarist that was heralded as the next EC/Jimmy/Stevie that somewhat faded though. Stanley Jordan comes to mind...

Robert Cray is a very good and accomplished blues guitar player.

However, when he mixes pop music into this, he isn't that great. That's what he did in Oslo. A couple of the pop tunes were good, the rest was not. The blues songs were good, albeit a little too clean-sounding for my taste.

In fairness, I haven't new stuff from Robert since 1995. He could be much better nowadays.

Date: February 1, 2013 15:34

Gotcha, yes I can see how his trying to blend into pop could have been tedious. gona check out his latest stuff but I think it's a go for me!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: February 1, 2013 16:25

gotdablouse
Not completely OT of course since he played with the Stones (Stop Breaking Down, Miami PPV 12/94) and with Keith (St Louis for the Chuck Berry Hail Hail RnR movie), and maybe on other occasions as well? Anyway this guitar genius will be playing at the Trabendo on 28/02/2013, a venue that now belongs to the Stones' legend

I guess he's no longer the high profile guitar player he was between 85 and 95, it's hard to stay at the top only very few do, but his latest albums have gotten good reviews so I'll check them out.

Stellar reviews here : [reviews.ticketmaster.com]

Anyone else going or thinking of going?

Guitar genius?! Not

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 1, 2013 16:38

genius, yes. robert rules. stop the robert-bashing if you know what's good for you.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 1, 2013 16:41

T&A
genius, yes. robert rules. stop the robert-bashing if you know what's good for you.

Maybe Robert should sit in with Phish...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 1, 2013 16:43

Munichhilton
T&A

Maybe Robert should sit in with Phish...

the trey and cray show....has a certain je ne sais quoi to it....

Date: March 12, 2013 12:50

Well it was a great show and of course it's always a thrill to be back at the Trabendo, second time for me after the Brad concert.

Here's a 3D (viewable in 2D of course too) I put together :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-12 12:57 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 12, 2013 12:53

Hi GTB,

Yep, going to Robert's show this Friday in Manchester. I'm a Cray first-timer...looking forward to hearing his band.

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 12, 2013 12:55

gotdablouse
Well it was a great show and of course it's always a thrill to be back at the Trabendo, second time for me after the Brad concert.

Here's a 3D (viewable in 2D of course too) I put together :

[www.youtube.com]

Saw him in St David's Hall, Cardiff last Wednesday. Superb view of the stage and he was very impressive, Richard Cousins and Len Falconer were a very good rhythm section imo. My father is a fan but i can't say that I ever really knew Robert Cray apart from his appearance on Hail Hail Rock n Roll. Glad you equally enjoyed his set!

Date: March 12, 2013 13:03

I remembered him well from his "star" years in the late 80s and early 90s and then I guess he fell a bit under the radar...I was really impressed by his singing at the Trabendo, a beautiful soulful voice. Has to be the best guitar/voice combo around!

His band is great too, Richard Cousins, the bass player with blue painted toe nails, and the guy on keys (Jim Pugh) was a riot too, check out his solo at 11'50" in my video ;-)

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: March 12, 2013 13:08

gotdablouse
I remembered him well from his "star" years in the late 80s and early 90s and then I guess he fell a bit under the radar...I was really impressed by his singing at the Trabendo, a beautiful soulful voice. Has to be the best guitar/voice combo around!

His band is great too, Richard Cousins, the bass player with blue painted toe nails, and the guy on keys (Jim Pugh) was a riot too, check out his solo at 11'50" in my video ;-)

Superb organist, he did a long solo on Wednesday and that went down a treat. Well worth £35.smileys with beer

Posted by: Des ()
Date: March 12, 2013 17:38

I took what he offers as just a different approach to blending the blues.

Cute story of him playing our local music festival. He headlined the Friday night lineup and was blown away, as many performers are, with the atmosphere, croud and location of the festival.He raved about it through his show. Come Sunday, John Hammond was playing about half way through his set when he started talking about Saturday night when they were both playing an Oregon music festival. John said he had been puzzled why a performer (RC) would be telling the Oregon croud if they wanted a great experience come to our music festival. JH then qualified that he was starting to get it himself.

PS: The biggest applause JH got was for playing Spider and the Fly

Date: March 21, 2013 15:16

Here is the full recording in MP3 of the Trabendo concert : [we.tl] (link good until 4 April, 2013)

Intro
I Shiver
Two Steps from The End
Right Next Door
Don't You Even Care?
Bad Influence
Poor Johnny
Won't Be Coming Home
Fix This
Chicken in the Kitchen
Worry
One in the Middle (with Organ Solo)
Sadder Days
Smoking Gun

Encore:
A Memo (Nothin But Love)
Time Makes Two

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home