Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Need help capturing audio
Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 02:15

Does anyone have recommendations for capturing audio from the net? I have used Videosoft for making pretty good mp3's from Youtube, but have had no luck capturing from other sources.

Re: OT: Need help capturing audio
Date: January 6, 2011 02:17

Wiretap Studio is amazing. You can download it from the web - small fee but it's very well worth every penny.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 6, 2011 05:48

Audacity will do the same thing as Wiretap for free. If it's playing through your speakers, Audacity will record it. Setting it up to do so can be a little tricky, and you have to do some editing to the tracks when your done, but it's not that hard to figure out if your reasonably tech savvy.

They are both sound editors, but Wiretap looks to be made especially for recording off the net, while that doesn't seem to be Audacity's main focus. So Wiretap looks to be more user-friendly, and maybe takes out some of the guesswork and set-up involved with Audacity. Keep in mind though, they both only record what comes through your system, so your going to be limited to the quality of the source material. Wiretap gave me the impression you can improve that, which I find to be a bit suspect. You can e.q., boost frequencies, or whatever else, but you can't change source material, i.e., the audio from a flash video, into something it's not.

Wiretap has a free trial, so you can see for yourself if it's worth paying for. Here are their links:

[www.ambrosiasw.com]

[audacity.sourceforge.net]

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 6, 2011 05:56

I'm very happy with Audacity, it's free and I use it all the time. They have great help pages online and in youtube.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 6, 2011 08:12

coffeepotman
I'm very happy with Audacity, it's free and I use it all the time. They have great help pages online and in youtube.

Me too. I may not end up with audiophile quality, but outside of FLAC downloads, what on the net is lossless to begin with? Certainly not the audio from flash videos, and streaming audio sites like Myspace and Last FM.

Plus, Audacity ain't 70 bucks, and nothing on Wiretap's site convinced me it's worth that much.

Date: January 6, 2011 10:38

WireTap or Polderbit Sound Recorder/editor.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 16:56

Thanks - audacity worked out great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1480
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home