Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nellcote as a museum....?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 5, 2011 23:08

Round Britain and I'm sure many other parts of the world local councils buy up properties that were either once the childhood home or creative hub of major artists and refurbish in the style of what they once were. I guess we all know about what's happened with the Beatles' houses in Liverpool. In Swansea the local council has Dylan Thomas' childhood home and in Laugharne (Larn) 35 miles from here the council have turned his 'Boathouse' where he wrote his most acclaimed piece 'Under milk wood' into a period museum. Given that 'Exile on Main St' is probaly the Stones most acclaimed work and there is a house directly associated with the creation of it, I wonder if this is a possible future for Nellcote and whether the local council could realistically recreate 'the scene' without causing public outrage as to how public money was being spent ?....either way personally I think it's a safe guess that loads of people would want to go and have a look around.............cheesy or desirable.... both or just impossible ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-05 23:33 by EddieByword.

Re: Nellcote as a museum....?
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 5, 2011 23:26

I know that French cities are obliged by law to invest 1% of their budget in art, so anything can happen.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 5, 2011 23:31

I've never been there, but in pictures it seems like an awful big property to devote entirely to the Stones' (relatively) short stay there.

I understand the property has much more history behind it, so the idea of a museum might still be good with the Stones as a part of it.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 5, 2011 23:36

Apparently some very wealthy Russians own it at the moment and have no interest in it's musical connections (which I find so weird, that you could buy Nellcote and not be into the Stones!) Prior to that it was the Nazis who used it and prior to that Admirality I think. I would give anything to just have an hour to wander around the house, cellars, gardens, through the cave to the beach. Bet you'd find all sorts of stones stuff in the garden etc!

Date: January 6, 2011 03:35

crumbling_mice
Apparently some very wealthy Russians own it at the moment and have no interest in it's musical connections (which I find so weird, that you could buy Nellcote and not be into the Stones!) Prior to that it was the Nazis who used it and prior to that Admirality I think.
Yeah....I heard the other day that when the Stones were making the Exile doc they were refused permission to film in there, (I'm guessing if this is true that it's probaly common knowledge and I'm a bit behind the times).
Perhaps the Ruskies like boats....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 03:41 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 6, 2011 03:45

EddieByword
Round Britain and I'm sure many other parts of the world local councils buy up properties that were either once the childhood home or creative hub of major artists and refurbish in the style of what they once were. I guess we all know about what's happened with the Beatles' houses in Liverpool. In Swansea the local council has Dylan Thomas' childhood home and in Laugharne (Larn) 35 miles from here the council have turned his 'Boathouse' where he wrote his most acclaimed piece 'Under milk wood' into a period museum. Given that 'Exile on Main St' is probaly the Stones most acclaimed work and there is a house directly associated with the creation of it, I wonder if this is a possible future for Nellcote and whether the local council could realistically recreate 'the scene' without causing public outrage as to how public money was being spent ?....either way personally I think it's a safe guess that loads of people would want to go and have a look around.............cheesy or desirable.... both or just impossible ?

I honestly doubt it would be of much interest. In a country thats overflowing with museums, culture and history in general, a house in a small town which served as a base for one record is well down the pecking order.

I'm not even sure its a big deal locally either. I remember being in Villefranche about 12 years ago and having lunch in one of the restaurants in the harbour - I asked a few waiters where Villa Nellcote was and explained its significance, and none of them had even heard of it.

Date: January 6, 2011 04:08

Gazza
EddieByword

I honestly doubt it would be of much interest. In a country thats overflowing with museums, culture and history in general, a house in a small town which served as a base for one record is well down the pecking order.

I'm not even sure its a big deal locally either. I remember being in Villefranche about 12 years ago and having lunch in one of the restaurants in the harbour - I asked a few waiters where Villa Nellcote was and explained its significance, and none of them had even heard of it.
Now that sounds like round here...ask just about any Swansea lad or lass where Dylan Thomas' place is and it's almost as bad as 'who's this Dylan Thomas then ?'...but I have to say that all year round you're almost certain up at the house to bump into an American or Japanese tourist ...........not a mini Graceland then Gazza.................

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 04:16 by EddieByword.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 6, 2011 04:54

EddieByword

EddieByword..I read something the other day in one of our Newspapers the British goverment are stepping in to prevent Ringo Starr's childhood home in Liverpool from being demolished..and I hope it is saved.

Date: January 6, 2011 04:57

EddieByword
Gazza
EddieByword

Now that sounds like round here...ask just about any Swansea lad or lass where Dylan Thomas' place is and it's almost as bad as 'who's this Dylan Thomas then ?'...but I have to say that all year round you're almost certain up at the house to bump into an American or Japanese tourist ...........not a mini Graceland then Gazza.................

Quite - but one or two a day isnt exactly going to pay the bills.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 6, 2011 09:58

Nice idea, but Nellcote is a big piece of ultra-expensive real-estate, which isn't for sale anyway. I don't think the musical interest could ever justify the cost - the Beatles' houses are much further down the housing market:

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 6, 2011 10:36

This made me laugh because it is such a touchingly naive suggestion. Nellcote is an uber-valuable estate in an area of some of the priciest real estate in the world. The Rolling Stones are not French citizens and as such are not considered national treasures. France is going broke and their finances are in serious freefall. The local council of the Cote d'Azur wouldn't entertain this expense in a million years even if the property was for sale at an affordable price.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 6, 2011 11:15

Nellcote is an important place for us, for everyone else is just a villa by the sea

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 6, 2011 11:34

Green Lady
Nice idea, but Nellcote is a big piece of ultra-expensive real-estate, which isn't for sale anyway. I don't think the musical interest could ever justify the cost - the Beatles' houses are much further down the housing market:

lol.

Date: January 6, 2011 13:22

Amsterdamned
Green Lady

lol.
+1

Date: January 6, 2011 13:35

colonial
EddieByword

EddieByword..I read something the other day in one of our Newspapers the British goverment are stepping in to prevent Ringo Starr's childhood home in Liverpool from being demolished..and I hope it is saved.
Hi Colonial...This was in the Liverpool Echo a few months ago; Updated August 2010

[www.liverpoolecho.co.uk]

but there's also this; Updated 6.1.2011

[www.liverpoolecho.co.uk]

I think it's a common saying...always go with the bookie, so.....

Date: January 6, 2011 13:54

Gazza
EddieByword
Gazza
EddieByword

Quite - but one or two a day isnt exactly going to pay the bills.

"but I have to say that all year round you're almost certain up at the house to bump into an American or Japanese tourist".....what I'm saying here is that even in the depths of winter there are people visiting both places....in the summer ,esp the Boathouse in Laugharne they're packed, (albeit they're quite small houses compared with Nellcote), having said that I don't doubt there's a fair bit of public money going in there too............

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 6, 2011 13:59

crumbling_mice
Apparently some very wealthy Russians own it at the moment and have no interest in it's musical connections (which I find so weird, that you could buy Nellcote and not be into the Stones!) Prior to that it was the Nazis who used it and prior to that Admirality I think. I would give anything to just have an hour to wander around the house, cellars, gardens, through the cave to the beach. Bet you'd find all sorts of stones stuff in the garden etc!

It is owned by an Italian bankers family. They bought it for $8 million in the early 90's, and it is probably worth double that by now.

Quite an expensive museum.

Mathijs

Date: January 6, 2011 14:08

Bliss
This made me laugh because it is such a touchingly naive suggestion. Nellcote is an uber-valuable estate in an area of some of the priciest real estate in the world. The Rolling Stones are not French citizens and as such are not considered national treasures. France is going broke and their finances are in serious freefall. The local council of the Cote d'Azur wouldn't entertain this expense in a million years even if the property was for sale at an affordable price.
Points taken...not that I even like the idea of it myself.....like Mick Jagger I'm not really one for nostalgia.........

Date: January 6, 2011 14:10

EddieByword
Bliss
Points taken...not that I even like the idea of it myself.....like Mick Jagger I'm not really one for nostalgia.........

he is. He just doesnt like to admit it.

Date: January 6, 2011 14:29

EddieByword
Amsterdamned
Green Lady

lol.
+1
Maybe Kensington and Chelsea council could buy Edith Grove.....they wouldn't need to spend any money recreating it...just let it fall apart.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 15:10 by EddieByword.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2011 18:25

"France is going broke and their finances are in serious freefall."

I suggest you skip the "news" on economy and stick to the Stones and their music...
True, we don't have a "Helicopter Ben" here (ya know the guy dropping 600 billion of unbacked USD every semester on Wall St.) but I think this is not a bad thing for us after all...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-06 18:29 by dcba.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 6, 2011 18:45

dcba
"France is going broke and their finances are in serious freefall."

I suggest you skip the "news" on economy and stick to the Stones and their music...
True, we don't have a "Helicopter Ben" here (ya know the guy dropping 600 billion of unbacked USD every semester on Wall St.) but I think this is not a bad thing for us after all...

LOL. You're preaching to the choir..I live in France.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 6, 2011 18:55

crumbling_mice
Apparently some very wealthy Russians own it at the moment

You're right !
I know the South of France quite well and yes,the Russian mafia "buy " a lot of places there .

I am not that surprised if the inhabitants of Villefranche don't know anymore about the villa Nellcote. First of all ,the villa was "famous in the early seventies" ,40 years ago , and Villefranche is a very little village .

Cannes and Cap Ferret are more famous for the rock stars ,with the "Eden Rock" in Antibes for instance .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: January 7, 2011 02:57

I'd give anything to walk around that house and basement...Keith's master bedroom upstairs. There aren't any photos of the upstairs from Tarle.

I've tried to study the photos of the basement to kind of figure the basement's layout but it's impossible. I wish there were architectural plans of the house =)

I remember there were pics of the house being recently renovated - interior shows, etc...but they r no longer on the internet.

Wasn't Tarle releasing new, never before seen pics from nellcote at a recent exhibit?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home