Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Hide Your Love
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 5, 2011 06:14

71Tele
A great Jagger blues track. This is a case where overdubbing on a demo can really work. Why? Because the feel of the demo was perfect. You can still hear the ghost vocal. We get a great Taylor solo and Keith on bass. This is one of the songs I use to illustrate the point that I think Jagger is underrated (or under appreciated) as a musician.

I agree 100%. Fantastic vocals and piano work from Jagger on this one. Some great guitar from Taylor as well. The mix itself is a bit unusual, which just makes the track more interesting, IMO.

It's a lovely little track that fits perfectly into the wistful, hazy, gentle, sublime magic of GHS.

Drew

Date: January 5, 2011 10:48

Palace Revolution 2000
kleermaker
His Majesty
Erk Keith's bass playing is rather crap on this cut.

Palace Revolution 2000

YES! That is real weaving. Not to beat that ole dead horse, but Taylor and Keith was the best weave.

Nah, they nailed that weaving thing as far back as IBC demo.

cool smiley

In the very old days everything was bettercool smiley.

Haha...yeah right.
Man, there's plenty of great weaves all along. Brian as guitar-man doesn't get near enough credit. How about "Confessin' The Blues"?
This is the thing though: Keith (and Ron) are always talking about this close sound they do etc; lot of it based on the great 78 tour I guess. To THEM it might be very interesting to dissect the overall sound: "Who is that? You or me?" because the two guitars sound much alike. But IMO it was way more challenging and rewarding to hear what Bria? Keith and Taylor/Keith did with opposing sounds, or complementing sounds.
And to me it is the fast tunes where it comes across as even trickier. I mean - "Love in Vain", come on, it's a no brainer. Or a great cut like "Down Home Girl" is more an arrangement success. It's the songs where the weave comes from the actual performance that are the hard ones. the best ones. "Confessin" is great;
"Down the Road Apiece" is really good. But one I think is great is
"Around & Around". That's two guitars from the get go. When Keith hits the accents, Brian is strumming right in between. Very tight.

I listened to Confessing The Blues yesterday. There is only one guitar in there, and that's gotta be Keith?

Date: January 5, 2011 10:57

DP, I'm pretty sure there are two.

Date: January 5, 2011 11:00

I was a bit drunk last night, listening with headphones. I might be mistaken. I was thinking of you and the weaving at the time, though smiling smiley

Date: January 5, 2011 13:01

LOL, that's so weird you say that because last night for the first time in ages I smoked some weed; I don't even know why; I was just like "I wonder what it's like nowadays..", and then I listened to some tunes. And I was also thinking about the weaving we had talked about recently.

Date: January 5, 2011 13:34

smileys with beer

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 5, 2011 14:00

One of their worst ever

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 6, 2011 05:47

Does anyone really believe that Jagger is playing piano in the recorded track? The playing sounds too professional. It has Stu's fingers all over it.

BTW love the song.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 6, 2011 05:57

The Sicilian
Does anyone really believe that Jagger is playing piano in the recorded track? The playing sounds too professional. It has Stu's fingers all over it.

BTW love the song.

It's Jagger. It's not that professional. I can even play it myself and I'm no piano player. You underestimate Mick as a musician.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 6, 2011 06:28

That is a two handed played piece, and yes not very complicated, but still the speed played and the boogie style is not something an amateur can just sit and bang out without mistakes.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 6, 2011 07:07

Wow. Whoever is playing bass has no idea where the pocket is. They're just burbling. Would be interesting to hear Bill's take, filling in the empty spots.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 6, 2011 10:34

Ket
One of their worst ever

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it is very mediocre & it's impossible to imagine them releasing anything this weak during 1968 - 1971.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 6, 2011 11:32

Love the track and a reminder of the Stones' blues past. I always think of Parachute Woman when I hear this which served a similar purpose on Beggar's Banquet amid all the rock, country and samba rock.

This would be such a great song for them to do live - if they ever play again. It's a natural for modern day Jagger - getting all that call and response from the audience he loves so much but here it would not sound laboured as its already in the song.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home