Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Album vs New Tour
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 30, 2010 11:51

I'm really more than excited when a new album with Stones is on it's way. Will there be a single released before official album release and so on...thrills me like f..k. On the other hand when I read a new Tour with it dates is released I always think f..k it how will I get these bloody tickets, by computer or telephone services, kind of a drag before it's over and the tickets is safely bought..I'm quite convinced that posters here is more thrilled over an upcoming New Tour with The Rolling Stones, I'm I right or what?

I'm a pure album man! (and an old lazy fart besides that)

2 1 2 0

Re: New Album vs New Tour
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 30, 2010 12:24

I'd take a new album please. A new tour without any new album behind, seems somewhat meaningless

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: December 30, 2010 12:46

I agree with Erik, a new album should be their priority. Personally I hope it is another journey through the archives, rather than a new Don Was water-treading exercise (lets face it their albums from the 1990s onwards are terrible AOR). If they must record new material, let it be spontaneous and soulful.

Date: December 30, 2010 13:00

I'll take a new album; of the "Bridges to Babylon" quality any day over a tour. Especially if the tour is without a new album.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 30, 2010 13:02

Erik_Snow
I'd take a new album please. A new tour without any new album behind, seems somewhat meaningless

But taking the nature of things - a new studio album without a tour to follow it - sounds way too unreal scene for me. Like the guys just going to studio in order to make the record for the sake of its own - knowing it won't make them big salary (relatively speaking) - and that's all. I wouldn't mind it all but the reality bites...

But then again, Mick Jagger tends to make solo albums once in a decade just for the sake of doing them (and nobody buying them) so maybe he could apply this receipt even to The Stones? Well, he alraedy did it with EXILE extras, so who knows...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-30 13:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: December 30, 2010 13:22

A good album is much better than a bad tour.
Of course, the income for the band will me minimal, but can they still tour ?

The Stones have the reputation of being the best (at least one of the best) live acts. I believe they should pay attention to the fact of NOT making the tour "too much", the one that will destroy their image, fame and reputation.
The touring industry is facing hard times and people, including me, won't be able to see as many shows as they did years ago.

Better stay as a top band in everybody's memories, make a great blues record, and let everybody think what they want about the band's future.
Mystery makes the legend

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: December 30, 2010 13:34

Doxa
Erik_Snow

But taking the nature of things - a new studio album without a tour to follow it - sounds way too unreal scene for me. Like the guys just going to studio in order to make the record for the sake of its own - knowing it won't make them big salary (relatively speaking) - and that's all. I wouldn't mind it all but the reality bites...

- Doxa

Don't really agree, Doxa. There ISN'T much money to be made on an album-release these days. If Rolling Stones recorded and released a record, without touring behind it, it must be because they felt the NEED to record something, and show that they got something to proove, musicwise....and NOT because they needed more money.

But *a tour* (with or without a new album to back it) on the other hand.....that's just big business and bucks

In addition to that.....I'd choose a new record over a tour, because, f they released a new record, we could get our hopes up for a following tour later, but not the other way around.

Date: December 30, 2010 14:12

Then we have Springsteen that always does so so-albums but is a great stage-personality eye popping smiley (I better run here), and Dylan, the king of radio-shows, but always on Tour, and with new brilliant albums behind him...

Right now I'm waiting for Lucinda Williams new album and hopefully a Tour in Europe..smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: December 30, 2010 14:44

Im excisted nomatter!

I hope to hear another album though, a bluesy one!!
Something that you can hear: yeah, this is the last stonesalbum!

and hopefully some cool as gigs for it aswell...

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: December 30, 2010 15:08

I believe they really NEED a new record to go on tour. To do it without one, would be like touring on the back of ... Life. Not sure if ol' man Jagger is ready for that.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 30, 2010 16:03

I'd like a new album and a small scale tour to support it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 30, 2010 17:34

how about some lovely new embroidered cocktail napkins as a parting gift?

Date: December 30, 2010 18:24

Erik_Snow
Doxa
Erik_Snow

- Doxa

Don't really agree, Doxa. There ISN'T much money to be made on an album-release these days. If Rolling Stones recorded and released a record, without touring behind it, it must be because they felt the NEED to record something, and show that they got something to proove, musicwise....and NOT because they needed more money.

But *a tour* (with or without a new album to back it) on the other hand.....that's just big business and bucks

In addition to that.....I'd choose a new record over a tour, because, f they released a new record, we could get our hopes up for a following tour later, but not the other way around.

I guess I made my point unclearly because I tend to think exactly as you do... I tried to say that if they would do an album without a tour that can only be for them having a sudden touch of a muse or that they want to prove something musicwise because there is no big money in it. But I think that is basically wishful thinking and fan idealism. I don't think the Stones will do anything if there is not a lot of income involved. The point of such half-baked effort as A BIGGER BANG was not nothing but get an "excuse" or "licence" to make another war heroes tour. And I don't think STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE or BRIDGES TO BABYLON would exist if there weren't been those huge tours that followed their relaese. It seemingly takes a lot of outer motivation and than just artistic drive to make great music to get those Rolling Stones guys same time to the studio together... and it surely doesn't happen too often!

- Doxa

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:15

I'm an album man all the way, too. Since they usually keep the songs from "my era", the post-89 era to a minimum in their concerts, it doesn't make much sense for me to go and see them at their current ticket prices anyway.

Yet, even the Alfie Soundtrack has got great songs on it, so a new album is very welcome. I wouldn't mind it if they do not tour as long as they write and record a new album, but a new compilation would not do it. I have "40 Licks", I don't need another comp.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:27

Come On
I'm I right or what?

From your perspective, you are correct sir! From others, not so much...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:28

A new album would be nice, but I just wanna see their faces again.

Posted by: diego ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:30

Can you imagine a small venues with rarities and special guests tour? That would be good....
PLEASE no more stadiums.

Date: December 30, 2010 19:32

diego
Can you imagine a small venues with rarities and special guests tour? That would be good....
PLEASE no more stadiums.

+1

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 30, 2010 19:34

I'm all for a small venue tour, but how the hell would we get the tickets - these sort of gigs usually sell out within the industry and with it being the last tour there would be huge demand.

Date: December 30, 2010 19:55

Doxa
Erik_Snow
Doxa
Erik_Snow

- Doxa

I guess I made my point unclearly because I tend to think exactly as you do... I tried to say that if they would do an album without a tour that can only be for them having a sudden touch of a muse or that they want to prove something musicwise because there is no big money in it. But I think that is basically wishful thinking and fan idealism. I don't think the Stones will do anything if there is not a lot of income involved. The point of such half-baked effort as A BIGGER BANG was not nothing but get an "excuse" or "licence" to make another war heroes tour. And I don't think STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE or BRIDGES TO BABYLON would exist if there weren't been those huge tours that followed their relaese. It seemingly takes a lot of outer motivation and than just artistic drive to make great music to get those Rolling Stones guys same time to the studio together... and it surely doesn't happen too often!

- Doxa

Oops....! No, you didn't make your point unclearly, Doxa - when re-reading your post, I see that I completely misread it the first time.....that's what happens when I visit IORR while trying to do some work at the computer. My bad..!

Anyway, we completely agree on the album/tour issue....that's the conclusion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-30 21:38 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 30, 2010 21:36

Mick can do a great tour and a great album, Charlie can do a great tour and a great album, Keith can do.....

Date: December 30, 2010 21:56

Erik_Snow
Oops....! No, you didn't make your point unclearly, Doxa - when re-reading your post, I see that I completely misread it the first time.....that's what happens when I visit IORR while trying to do some work at the computer. My bad..!

Anyway, we completely agree on the album/tour issue....that's the conclusion

smileys with beer (but not if you are working...grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-30 21:57 by Doxa.

Date: December 30, 2010 22:05

no work at least no serious work..! smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 30, 2010 22:45

What kind of album are they capable of at this point? I don't want to hear Charlie's drums reduced to that Kenny Aronoff crash-bam sound. I thought 'Rough Justice' is pretty damn good, but can they fill out an entire album? I want to hear something fresh from them, but that might be asking way too much. Keith seems to be barely trying with his solo spot. You would hope that with a gap of six years since ABB they'd be bursting with ideas, but there was 8 years between Bridges and ABB and the results weren't sterling.

A tour could be interesting but are they willing to be daring and draw deep from their catalogue? They could use guest musicians to pull of some of them, like the vibraphone on 'Yesterday's Papers', but would they? I'm afraid they're locked into the warhorses, with one or two suprises a concert. I can't see them pleasing anyone but the widest of audiences, especially with this most likely being their last major jaunt around the planet.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: December 31, 2010 01:30

A new album would be great, however, I prefer live performances captured on film over albums or the actual live performances themselves. I spend far more time watching my various Stones DVD's then I do listening to their CD's or attending live performances. I like the live versions of their songs much more than the original studio versions. I guess the bottom line of what I am saying here is that I would like more live performances captured on film.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: December 31, 2010 01:37

Edith Grove
A new album would be nice, but I just wanna see their faces again.

Exactly!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 31, 2010 01:42

I'm really afraid to hear what a new album would bring. I expect it to be an ABB II and that's not a good thing. As much as we want Mick and Keith to be locked down to writing together...it's just not meshing anymore.

Let them write whatever songs they want separately...together...in pairs. WHATEVER. Just as long as they're putting down something they want to do. If it's 8 songs...let it be. I don't need the Stones to prove anything.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: December 31, 2010 02:10

Justin
I'm really afraid to hear what a new album would bring. I expect it to be an ABB II and that's not a good thing. As much as we want Mick and Keith to be locked down to writing together...it's just not meshing anymore.

Let them write whatever songs they want separately...together...in pairs. WHATEVER. Just as long as they're putting down something they want to do. If it's 8 songs...let it be. I don't need the Stones to prove anything.

I found it interesting that Keith more or less glossed over their working together at Mick's home in France for ABB in 2004. Maybe the fact that they were getting along so well is not something they want to state too strongly? He certainly didn't spare any words describing his visits with Paul McCartney.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 31, 2010 06:57

Consider me "or what". Gimme a new album over a tour of the same old tired songs being performed tiredly the same way they have been since 1989 - poorly and by the numbers.

A new album would at least be "new".

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 31, 2010 08:17

As things are now: I will settle for anything. A last tour (this time it probably is) will give me time to accept the fact that it's fading out. Sort of like a junkie cutting down on his addiction. Of course the tour will be even worse than the last one, but at least I can let my imagination run away with me for a while that it's not! To watch the first snippets from the premiere (somewhere in North America) will be exciting anyway. About a new album I have no illusions at all. And that's good in a way, because then they can't fall short of expectations.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home