Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do you think The Stones have lost the 50th momentum?
Posted by: pleased2meetme ()
Date: January 30, 2013 03:11

Since the hoopla of the handful of shows and the buzz surrounding them has died down,it feels like a missed opportunity to not play more shows very,very soon.

Jagger's recent comments about Coachella being to early to play again, seems to indicate that they won't crank it up again until summer. Unless they are trying to record a new record(which could be dangerous,given fans indifference to new material) they really can't expect the buzz that they just got from the recent string of activity to reappear in my opinion.

Add to that all the recent reissues and releases over the last two years leading up to it (GYYYO,Exile,L&G,SG,The Vault Bootlegs,GRRR,CIMD,Crossfire Hurricane,The 50 Book,etc.) and it just seems like there is no way to recapture that momentum.They aren't going to top that run of releases.

I hope I'm wrong.

Re: Do you think The Stones have lost the 50th momentum?
Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 30, 2013 03:18

Once shows are announced the buzz will quickly start all over

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 30, 2013 03:21

slew
Once shows are announced the buzz will quickly start all over

Exactly

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: January 30, 2013 03:25

No, the Stones are plotting how they are going to make the most money with future 2013 concert dates. It's as simple as that.

Also, it's likely they will stick to their tried and true schedule where they start a tour on the east coast of the United States in the late summe/early fall which offers them more stadium dates before the cold weather comes in and allows them to play west coast staduims in warm weather as well.

It's likey that they will record an album in the down time as they usually do. Wouldn't be shocked if they are working on it now.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 03:28

They've been around for 50 years, I'm sure striking while the iron is hot isn't really a concern of theirs. As others have said, the buzz will be back if they announce shows.

I will say this though. My Rolling Stones thread on the Pearl Jam message board hasn't had a hit (besides me) since December 26th 2012.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 30, 2013 03:41

IORR lights up like Christmas lights as soon as ANY action takes place. It is easy to get buzz generated, they just have to DO something. As the greatest rocknroll band in the world, they have put out very little new material over the past decade. We are definitely in the twilight years of this band.

I am in the camp who really want a new album. Personally, I would love for them to make something that looks more like "Rolling Stones Now"...

1. Good Golly Miss Molly - Little Richard
2. *new song*
3. *new song*
4. Commit A Crime - Howlin Wolf
5. *new song*
6. Crying Waiting Hoping - Buddy Holly
7. Hobo Blues - John Lee Hooker
8. *new song*
9. *new song*
10. Little Queenie - Chuck Berry

Seriously. They need to open a concert or album with Good Golly Miss Molly. Keith and Ronnie would destroy it. Mick would slay on the vocals. Charlie is into the jazz/swing/rock stuff and always loved Little Richard. The track bounces to Darryl can't overplay, he's perfect for it.

DO IT!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 30, 2013 03:47

Yes.........Mick will crank it up on a new (new album) level next time..........he won't repeat the 50th thing.....imo of course, I might be proved wrong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-30 03:48 by EddieByword.

Posted by: IdahoStones ()
Date: January 30, 2013 06:44

Of course there will be momentum if a tour is announced. They are the one and only Rolling Stones.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: January 30, 2013 09:01

Only with the wider public.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 30, 2013 10:24

pleased2meetme
Since the hoopla of the handful of shows and the buzz surrounding them has died down,it feels like a missed opportunity to not play more shows very,very soon.

Jagger's recent comments about Coachella being to early to play again, seems to indicate that they won't crank it up again until summer. Unless they are trying to record a new record(which could be dangerous,given fans indifference to new material) they really can't expect the buzz that they just got from the recent string of activity to reappear in my opinion.

Add to that all the recent reissues and releases over the last two years leading up to it (GYYYO,Exile,L&G,SG,The Vault Bootlegs,GRRR,CIMD,Crossfire Hurricane,The 50 Book,etc.) and it just seems like there is no way to recapture that momentum.They aren't going to top that run of releases.

I hope I'm wrong.

When the stage in their touring plans is announced, everyone on planet Earth will hear about it. I see this quiet phase as more of temporary lull than a permanent stop.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: January 30, 2013 11:26

we do not know how much is going on behind the closed doors. I assume there are quite a few people working on the concert scheme. And at the end it has to fit in to the Rolling Stones. I do agree that the Momentum of the 50s shows is gone, but there will be a new momentum to come.
I am sure there also prove every option to extend the 50s concerts with guests, as it worked great or do another tour with a new album which then will lacking the attraction of bigger audiences and we may receive only the big hits and no special songs at all, because they may play some of the new album.
I just don't want a show down to 19/18 songs and then nearly now change in set lists. I thought London worked good, and I am sure the 3 US concerts as well.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2013 00:34

There would be some pop about a new album being recorded. They made it clear they were doing two new songs for that hits album. It's still early if they are to announce anything tour wise. Recording wise if they are to do something they obviously aren't in a hurry because it doesn't really matter, they've done it all already.

That's just it. If they really wanted to do something ie for the love of making music - they would have already done it, they'd be doing it, they'd have albums out and recordings finished otherwise. There's no need to build a city just to record and go on tour. They can't simply be a band that enjoys making and playing music. It's always some act of Congress that they do something.

IF they do something it will mirror Voodoo/Bridges/Bang in terms of imitating themselves - with some exception to tracks on Bridges and Bang that seemed rather original or inspired or that they actually had some interest in. They can wing off imitation songs all day long.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 31, 2013 00:40

Kind of like a car loses momentum when one misplaces the car keys....
as soon as one finds them, the car (depending on the type) instantly regains momentum.

Which bring up a(nother possible stupid) thread question, which I wont start.
"If the Stoness were a car, what type would they be?"

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: January 31, 2013 00:51

I do think they've lost the momentum of the 50th anniversary, but I think there will be plenty of new excitement for whatever's next, but it won't be generated by the 50th. That's gone.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 31, 2013 00:55

Yes, they have lost the momentum of the 50th Anniversay. That cow has been milked. Maximum output, minimal effort, for a band that is supposedly 'The World's Greatest'.

When all is said and done about 2012, I'll remember
1. The slap-in-the-face ticket prices.
2. A gorilla with a Mick mouth on the only Stones album I've never bought.
3. Zebra Gaga.

Sad that these 3 things seemed to eclipse Taylor and Wyman's return, but only 1-2 songs each was just another notch on their list of criminally-missed opprtunities.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-31 00:56 by jamesfdouglas.

Date: January 31, 2013 00:58

Max'sKansasCity

as soon as one finds them, the car (depending on the type) instantly regains momentum.

A car doesn't lose its momentum when one misplaces the car keys - it's parked when one misplaces the car keys. Zero momentum involved! Finding the car keys produces zero momentum as well - they need to turn the car on and then the GAS PEDAL creates forward/backward movement and THEN there is momentum.

That will be $300 please.

Date: January 31, 2013 01:00

GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity

A car doesn't lose its momentum when one misplaces the car keys - it's parked when one misplaces the car keys. Zero momentum involved! Finding the car keys produces zero momentum as well - they need to turn the car on and then the GAS PEDAL creates forward/backward movement and THEN there is momentum.

No keys?? No Momentum for you!

That will be $500.00, please.

Date: January 31, 2013 01:01

Waiting for The Troll to chime in and give us all whatever spiel there is to spew about the Gregory drummers in the distance and all that prattle...

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: January 31, 2013 01:36

Stones are giving time for the fans to get the cash ready for the tickets,they will be rocking this year.

Date: January 31, 2013 01:51

Max'sKansasCity
GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity

You've been denied momentum. $49,999.99 fine applied.

Date: January 31, 2013 01:55

pleased2meetme

I hope I'm wrong.

I may have thought so at first but now that the dust has settled I think they are doing it just right. Work on a new album during the first part of the year then tour during the second half. As always, we need to exercise patience.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 31, 2013 02:00

Yeah it's gone and it seems a bit odd actually that they didn't keep on milking it, I guess the offers "didn't sound right" to Keith...

On the other hand it probably means they need to come up with some new material of sorts whereas if they'd kept the ball rolling they could have just coasted on Grrr...Or they need to come up with a "concept" like The Who are doing with Quadrophenia, play a full album, but I don't see them do that, so new material it has to be or at least a new "idea". Other than new tracks/album I can't see what they can pull out of their sleeves?

If there's nothing "new" I honestly am not sure I'll spend another £406 just to try to get another taste of the 2012 Stones thrills. I might go for a stadium show though as it would likely be cheaper (easier to rationalize) and it would complete the recent club/rehearsal/arena magic circle ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 31, 2013 02:01

GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity
GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity

Damn it!
First my access... now my momentum...
Oh well, at least the fine is affordable... where do I pay?

Date: January 31, 2013 02:20

GasLightStreet
Waiting for The Troll to chime in and give us all whatever spiel there is to spew about the Gregory drummers in the distance and all that prattle...

Pretty dramatic those drummers, were they not? Gave me goosebumps! It's almost as if they (the Stones) are tapped into my brain. Damned if they didn't grant me just about every one of my wishes this past year. The only thing they didn't do, that I "challenged" them to do, was fight for lower ticket prices for us. Which only goes to prove, you can't always have it all your way.

Date: January 31, 2013 02:37

Max'sKansasCity
GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity
GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity

Damn it!

That is still in motion and will be post-determined once momentum stops.

Date: January 31, 2013 02:37

JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet

Pretty dramatic those drummers, were they not?

They were not.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 31, 2013 02:42

Date: January 31, 2013 05:14

GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity
GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity
GasLightStreet
Max'sKansasCity

Damn it!

That is still in motion and will be post-determined once momentum stops.

I hope this does not verge into string theory.

Date: January 31, 2013 05:40

GasLightStreet
JumpinJackOLantern
GasLightStreet

Pretty dramatic those drummers, were they not?

They were not.

What did you think of Jimmy Fallon's introduction of the Stones for the 12-12-12 concert?

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: January 31, 2013 06:14

pleased2meetme

I hope I'm wrong.

Momentum for whom, the band or us the fans and friends of the band? I'd personally say all they have to do is announce more shows and the momentum goes right back to 100% Who's to say they are not planning and rehearsing as I type this?

Maybe I know and can't tell? Then again, maybe I don't know either? Heh, heh, heh...

CBII

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1624
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home