Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What a Year its been for Stones Fans...
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 25, 2010 04:17

If ya' think back on the last twelve months 2010 has been a pretty good year really for Stones fans probably one of their better ones in a while
(non-touring that is).With Ronnie and Charlie's solo work.. Movie..DVD's..CD's..Keith's book..and enough rumours and speculation to write a book on.Im certainly looking forward to the next 18 months..if the last year is anything to go by..smoking smiley

Re: What a Year its been for Stones Fans...
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 25, 2010 04:30

Yep...it blew '65, '69, '72, '78, '81, '89 etc right out of the water in terms of excitement. How are they gonna top it?

Date: December 25, 2010 04:40

I can't tell if the original post is being sarcastic. I sort of hope so...grinning smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 25, 2010 04:47

colonial
If ya' think back on the last twelve months 2010 has been a pretty good year really for Stones fans probably one of their better ones in a while
(non-touring that is).-

That last statement changes the perspective a bit.

Date: December 25, 2010 13:03

Palace Revolution 2000
I can't tell if the original post is being sarcastic. I sort of hope so...grinning smiley

Palace Revolution 2000..Being sarcastic about The Stones..no not at all..don't get me wrong mate but I always think.. "If ya' got nothing good to say about The Stones..then don't say anything at all"..MERRY XMAS anyway..cheers mate..smoking smiley

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: December 26, 2010 01:59

skipstone
Forget all the other shit. When I got the Exile extras disc I was pleased that I was getting something. But it quickly turned to "This is IT????" after hearing Following The River onwards... I really could have done with the first three tracks and the other previously released tracks.

oh if isn't mr sunshine coming to smile upon us again

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 26, 2010 11:45

Gazza
Yep...it blew '65, '69, '72, '78, '81, '89 etc right out of the water in terms of excitement. How are they gonna top it?

Drat ... ya stole my thunder !! winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 26, 2010 11:50

BluzDude
colonial
(non-touring that is).-

That last statement changes the perspective a bit.

Exactly

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 27, 2010 06:53

I suspect this is the most for which anyone can hope. They ain't getting any younger and show no signs of any new group activity, be it tour or recording. How they'll creatively mine the vaults from here on is anyone's guess.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 27, 2010 16:05

Yes. I have got some time with my family. A great year indeed!

Bjornulf

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 27, 2010 16:21

I was somewhat pleased with Exile, L&G, Stones in Exile and Life. I'd like to see something new or a real mining of the vaults. A live series from their heyday if they can't do anything new something along the lines of what Neil Young and Bob Dylan have done.

Date: December 27, 2010 19:12

terrible STONES year.. totally wasted.. who cares about reissues anyways? just get back on road already before you can't...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 27, 2010 20:35

Plundered My Soul was at least something exciting. I feel it has stood the test of time beyond the novelty of first hearing it. And it was great finally getting Ladies & Gentlemen on DVD. But as someone else mentioned, it would be great if they could do reissues along the lines of Neil Young and Dylan. I will throw in Springsteen too. I watched "No Direction Home" again the other night, and it made me wonder what Scorcese could have done with that approach to the Stones' history. There is an amazing documentary film waiting for someone to make. Shine A Light wasn't it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 27, 2010 22:09

bv
Yes. I have got some time with my family. A great year indeed!

Hmm ... well THEY haven't been touring, which means that YOU haven't been touring, so er ............... where've ya been then ? You didn't run away with the dog did ya ? Mind you, seeing as you generally get more sense out of a dog than most human beings, wouldn't blamne ya if ya had done !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 31, 2010 12:39

stoned in washington dc
terrible STONES year.. totally wasted.. who cares about reissues anyways? just get back on road already before you can't...
stoned in washington dc..Its just no pleasing some Stones fans..for the average fan its been a good year..smoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 31, 2010 13:46

The best Stones year for me for ages. I don't rate the Stones years by their touring activity because (a) I don't consider 'The Rolling Stones' any longer as a living, breathing band but a business entertainment brand; (b) The Stones concert experiences I have had (based on their last two tours) are just one-night-entertain-one-timers that doesn't leave me any lasting impact. But the release of "Plundered My Soul" alone made this a Big Year for me. Its quality reminded me of why this band is/was so unique once upon time, and why they have had so lasting impact for me. If it will turned out to be their last single, they will leave the house in grace.

But of course, there is more. The whole EXILE project and with it, opening the vaults to an extent, Jagger's explicit and strong involvement with the thing he so infamously hates, namely, "nostalgia" (well, he didn't totally lost his faces...grinning smiley) The very idea of bringing Mick Taylor back to record with them - wow! - if someone had said that those things will happen 18 months ago I would have considered him as an utopist fool. Seeing the EXILE re-release topping the charts of their homeland first time since VOODOO LOUNGE also brought a smile to my face. I know that is the language Mick Jagger understands... wink wink winking smiley

Then we finally got out one of the most important Rolling Stones products ever done - LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE ROLLING STONES movie - both in cimema and in DVD/blue-ray. Because it hadn't exist before, it was wonderful to get it officially available. I don't mind it not having enough extras, etc.

And of course, lastly but not leastly, we got the most important Stones-related book ever (or since STONE ALONE), LIFE. To me its content was a personal disappointment, and it caused me to lost the last respect I have of Keith Richards as a person, but in any case, it is an important document from the perspective of the most important - with Jagger - insider. It revealed much more than I guess it was intended to do.

Now in retrospect it is funny to compare how the 'big boys' had such different approach to the nostalgy/past in 2010. For Mick it was just going to studio, and finishing some stuff they had done in their glory days. And a bit talking about the process of creating the music, and uncovering some old myths. For Keith it was first just talking and talking of the "epoche", and trying to keep the myths alive, and then releasing a memoir, and talking and talking and talking 'some' more...

Oh yeah... Ronnie released a solo album, and did few gigs alone and with the Faces. and Charlie also made some gigs. As Wyman and Taylor. Didn't caught any but according to reports, the people who did, were mostly satisfied. Funny that of all the living Rolling Stones, only the Twins didn't made any public live, music-related appearances. It feels like that (a) they are not interested, or (b) their egos are too big to perform in not enough big/larger than life contexts. Way bigger than, say, McCartney's.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-31 13:56 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 31, 2010 14:02

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-31 14:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 31, 2010 14:18

Hope no-one is gonna tell something about Charlies 'solo-work'...smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1344
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home