Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who is singing in the beginning of "Winter?"
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 25, 2010 01:48

I was listening to "Winter" today getting into the Christmas mood, and was wondering who is doing the opening vocal lines (Oh, ohhhh...wah, na, na, la, etc...) after the guitar intro. Is that Keith? Sure sounds like it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-25 01:53 by TornAndFried.

Re: Who is singing in the beginning of "Winter?"
Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 25, 2010 01:52

ITS MICK JAGGER.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: December 25, 2010 02:13

Caps lock maybe. Straight forward question...

TE
Oslo

Date: December 25, 2010 02:31

I've listened to that line 10 times in a row and still can't tell if it's Mick or Keith singing. I know Keith was absent from the initial sessions but it could have been added later. It sounds like an overdub to me.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 25, 2010 02:34

It truly sounds to me like Jagger

Have a very merry Christmas!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 25, 2010 03:08

Jagger. 100%.

Date: December 25, 2010 04:21

Well, the consensus certainly seems to be with Jagger on this one. It still sounds to me like it could be Keith, but I'll concede to popular opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-25 04:26 by TornAndFried.

Date: December 25, 2010 04:38

It is very very Jagger

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 25, 2010 05:15

Mick, for sure.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 25, 2010 05:52

is Keith on 'Winter' at all?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 25, 2010 07:28

Jagger all the way, but he is purposely sounding like Keif at the beginning, however, when he comes out of the howl and starts to hum, you can totally tell it is Jagger. He loves mimicking Keif's vocal style.

Date: December 25, 2010 08:06

skipstone
TornAndFried
I've listened to that line 10 times in a row and still can't tell if it's Mick or Keith singing. I know Keith was absent from the initial sessions but it could have been added later. It sounds like an overdub to me.

It's obvious you don't know your Stones then. Very few vocals on Stones studio recordings are actual live to tape vocals.

I don't know my Stones? Really? You were able to deduce that from my one comment? Well, I've only been listening to them for 35 years, seen them live more times then I can count...and I'm a sound engineer. Anyway, when I said the line in question "sounds like an overdub," I didn't mean I thought their vocal tracks were usually recorded live to tape. I meant that the part in question sounds like an inserted overdub to me...as if it might have been recorded in a different take than the main portion of the vocal. Or perhaps it just sounds different as a result of the added reverb. In any case, it still sounds a lot like Keith to me. Merry Christmas!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-25 09:41 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: December 25, 2010 08:31

Hate to rock the boat, but I've always heard Keith singing the intro not Mick at all!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Who is singing
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 25, 2010 10:27

just to create a diversion: the bridge of the demo of Loving Cup on the Exile re-release
is another of those "which Glimmer is that??" moments, especially the first few lines

smile: Mick once said (in the mid-70s i think, when his gift for being obnoxious in interviews was really shining)
"well of course our voices sound similar - we were born in the same town" :E

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 25, 2010 17:23

TornAndFried
skipstone
TornAndFried

It's obvious you don't know your Stones then. Very few vocals on Stones studio recordings are actual live to tape vocals.

I don't know my Stones? Really? You were able to deduce that from my one comment? Well, I've only been listening to them for 35 years, seen them live more times then I can count...and I'm a sound engineer. Anyway, when I said the line in question "sounds like an overdub," I didn't mean I thought their vocal tracks were usually recorded live to tape. I meant that the part in question sounds like an inserted overdub to me...as if it might have been recorded in a different take than the main portion of the vocal. Or perhaps it just sounds different as a result of the added reverb. In any case, it still sounds a lot like Keith to me. Merry Christmas!

Yes, I deduced that from your one comment. It is, though, a bit of a shove. A little playing around.

So you're a sound engineer and have seen them more than you can count and other factors that obviously make you a fan and so on. However, how anyone can think that is anyone else BUT Jagger is beyond me. When Keith sings or does whatever one wants to call it sometimes it's obvious.

Miller always said Jagger could have done a better job of singing this song. Perhaps he hoped to get him to not do that silly vocal noodling. Did they really "insert" overdubs from different takes back then? One track? Never heard of that. Nowadays, yes.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 25, 2010 18:46

Don't listen to skipstome person. The so-called expert.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 25, 2010 18:53

It is Jagger, for god´s sake...

Date: December 25, 2010 19:04

How anyone can think that is anyone else BUT Jagger is beyond me.

I realize my inquiry may have seemed a bit naive to a true Stones authority like yourself Skipstone, but to me, the vocal noodling sounded enough like Keith to prompt me to ask the question in the first place. There are a few others here who also thought it may have been him, but I'll agree with popular opinion that it is most likely, Jagger. In this case....sounding a lot like Keith.

Did they really "insert" overdubs from different takes back then?

Yes, they did. GHS was likely recorded on a 16-track tape machine, with at least two tracks reserved for vocals. So, sections of two (or more) different vocal takes could be either remixed into one master vocal track, or overdubs of flubbed lines or additional parts (such as the vocal noodling) could be recorded on a second track and mixed in later without having to re-do the entire track. The wordless vocal in the beginning sounds a little different to me than the rest of the song, but as I said, this could be from what seems like a little extra reverb on that section, or just a result of the different vocal inflection. Cheers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-25 23:07 by TornAndFried.

Date: December 25, 2010 19:53

mickscarey
Don't listen to skipstome person. The so-called expert.

Ahhh, words of done wizdom from Mr Done Deal hisself. Another one that can't take a joke.

Date: December 25, 2010 19:55

TornAndFried - what you describe as "insert" for overdubbing is comping - having more than one track to select from. Perhaps the understanding of the language is part of the confusion on my part.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 25, 2010 19:55

Well, it sounds like Jagger to me but then again I've seen people argue about if it's Keith or Mick singing "Coming Down Again" (obviously I thought Keith) so go figure!

Date: December 25, 2010 20:02

Eh, it's BOTH on Coming Down Again! What is there to argue about there!!??

Date: December 25, 2010 20:06

scottkeef
Well, it sounds like Jagger to me but then again I've seen people argue about if it's Keith or Mick singing "Coming Down Again" (obviously I thought Keith) so go figure!
Mick does sing some on CDA; obviously not the lead, but I like hearing him on those "SKY falling down.."
I really liked it when Jagger used to sing on Keith's songs.

More than technical reasons, it just wouldn't have happened like that on "Winter". In 73 Keith doesn't sing like that, so prominently 'woe woe-ing' at start of a song where he hasn't even been involved.

Date: December 25, 2010 20:14

>> when Jagger used to sing on Keith's songs <<

he still does (eg This Place Is Empty) ... or did you mean you don't like the singing he does now?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 25, 2010 21:12

Why are people SO touchy? I realize Jagger is on some harmonizing on alot of Keiths song and vice versa. I was OBVIOUSLY talking about the lead vocals. From now on I'll just stay out of it......

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: December 25, 2010 21:21

The bridge of Loving Cup is Jagger, it's pretty obvious too. Maybe it's me but their voices are quite different and recognizable, it's hard not to notice right away who's singing.

Date: December 25, 2010 21:26

>> The bridge of Loving Cup is Jagger, it's pretty obvious too <<

yes dear eye rolling smiley

>> From now on I'll just stay out of it. <<

+1
have some of this popcorn, scottkeef

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: December 25, 2010 22:34

I would bet a good sum of money that the opening Ohwoahmymymymymymymymy...is Keith. The main reason being that the voice sounds exactly like his and not like Jagger's. There are other instances where KR did some background vocals on songs he didn't play on - Sway, Time Waits For No One, and Can You Hear The Music come to mind. And did he play on Fingerprint File? He sang on that too.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 25, 2010 22:37

Well, I would say it's Jagger on Winter, without any doubt. But guys, it's Christmas Day...so go easy on each other - just for today, then back to the usual tomorrow, Merry Xmas to each and every one of you.

Date: December 25, 2010 22:46

>> And did [Keith] play on Fingerprint File? <<

yep he sure did. and where are we getting the concept that he doesn't play on Winter, please?
("he wasn't at the initial sessions" doesn't mean he doesn't play on it at all)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-25 22:56 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home