Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: David Dalton - Your thoughts?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 21, 2010 23:49

Yes

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2010 00:35

The suitcase ........................................... Ethan Russell

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 22, 2010 00:45

teleblaster
Great book. Mine literally fell apart many years ago.

Haha. Yours too! Man, they couldn't bind books to save their lives back then. smileys with beer

Date: December 22, 2010 08:11

Braincapers
Carnaby

I have the 20 years book (with a yellow cover) and a biography(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Stones-David-Dalton/dp/0352300922/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1292965416&sr=8-3)

Is this another book?

No this is another book. Both Dalton books are a must.

Date: December 22, 2010 08:16

JJHMick
Doxa
... (Wasn't there also a kind of fiction article if the Stones would have performed in 1968????) ...
- Doxa

Yes, there was and here's the setlist:
Not Fade Away
2120, South Michigan Avenue
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
The Spider And The Fly
Under My Thumb
Get Off Of My Cloud
Complicated
Out Of Time
Citadel
Goin' Home
Stray Cat Blues
Satisfaction

This cracks me up! Because I remember exactly when the Net first started, in the dark days, one of the very first posts I ever laid out there was to a young Gazza and his site. I wrote him saying I was pretty sure that "Citadel" had been performed live at one time. Same with "Complicated", and of course he told me no, no way. This was one of my first encounters with the rest of the world re. Stones; learning that there are many folks out there, very knowledgable in Stones-lore.
Anyway - to this day I still have wondered what made me think those two cuts had been done live. I haven't read my old Dalton book in ages. So this is why..

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 22, 2010 14:04

Palace Revolution 2000
JJHMick
Doxa
... (Wasn't there also a kind of fiction article if the Stones would have performed in 1968????) ...
- Doxa

Yes, there was and here's the setlist:
Not Fade Away
2120, South Michigan Avenue
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
The Spider And The Fly
Under My Thumb
Get Off Of My Cloud
Complicated
Out Of Time
Citadel
Goin' Home
Stray Cat Blues
Satisfaction

This cracks me up! Because I remember exactly when the Net first started, in the dark days, one of the very first posts I ever laid out there was to a young Gazza and his site. I wrote him saying I was pretty sure that "Citadel" had been performed live at one time. Same with "Complicated", and of course he told me no, no way. This was one of my first encounters with the rest of the world re. Stones; learning that there are many folks out there, very knowledgable in Stones-lore.
Anyway - to this day I still have wondered what made me think those two cuts had been done live. I haven't read my old Dalton book in ages. So this is why..

No,unfortunately, they haven't been performed. This is an article published in Rolling Stone from May 1969, IMAGINING a Stones concert (including Brian playing marimbas and Mick announcing Satisfaction as "now we'd like to do a little ballad number"). The author called it "nonfiction and part fantasy".

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 23, 2010 00:03

That first Dalton book was it for me. My older cousin was a Stones freak, but I was "too young" to see the Stones in 81...he promised to buy me a concert shirt. I somehow managed to stay home from school both days - thursday and Friday....and the morning after the first show, I went with my mom to pick up my shirt at my aunt's house....and - I saw that book laying on a table. My aunt let me "borrow" it......and I never returned it. My cousin never seemed to miss it... My hands were jittery with excitement....i couldn't wait to get home and just get lost in it. It was a revelation. I took it home and poured every photo, word front to back - and it remains one of the best Stones books.
Dalton's text is slightly pretentious to me now....his James Dean bio is similarly pretentious....but the book is a nostalgic touchstone for me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-23 00:06 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: December 23, 2010 01:56

Still my favourite pre-'Life' Stones book!
Well, neck & neck with Stanley Booth anyway.

Date: January 6, 2011 21:18

I carried this book and the Sanchez "Up and Down" book with me from class to classin high school as if they were the holy grail.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 7, 2011 00:16

nostoneswithoutbrianjones
I carried this book and the Sanchez "Up and Down" book with me from class to classin high school as if they were the holy grail.

Ha...I carried the Booth book around....like it was my bible, or a connection to something real during the BS of high school...

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: January 7, 2011 02:48

Fantastic book - lots of Tarle pics from Nellcote and the Farewell tour...

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 7, 2011 11:05

I also remember it as a marvelous book. I borrowed it from a library (which to require it from a library in an another region of Denmark) when I was thirteen and had to read it with heavy help from a dictionary.
I purchased it on Amazon a month ago and look forward to read it again.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: January 7, 2011 14:05

Still have my copy,and its binding is perfect,great read for its time.

Date: January 7, 2011 17:12

This book was the first place I ever read Al Aronowitz piece on Brian Jones entitled "Over his dead body."

It's still my single favourite eulogy (of sorts) about Brian Jones.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 7, 2011 17:52

both books are very good and well worth the money
jeroen

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 7, 2011 20:55

proudmary
Is it the same book?
"Rolling Stones": The First Twenty Years
David Dalton (Author)
Publisher: Thames & Hudson Ltd (9 Nov 1981)

This book was my Bible when I was a teenager! I loved it. I didn't realize he published two books on the Stones...the things I learn on this site!!

Posted by: dph ()
Date: January 8, 2011 04:45

What everybody else said: both are great books.

I had a hard time tracking down a hard cover of the grey book ~15 years ago. Things are probably easier now with eBay.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 8, 2011 07:43

dph
What everybody else said: both are great books.

I had a hard time tracking down a hard cover of the grey book ~15 years ago. Things are probably easier now with eBay.

I have a hard cover copy. I saw, not too long ago, one on ebay. The one to get is one of the gold hard covers which they gave out as door prizes at the initial book party in New York. Word is, only 50 exist.

Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: January 8, 2011 19:33

I purchased my copy at the time of its UK release, in late November of 1972, for the princely sum of £2.95, and to this day, still regard it as an excellent compendium of important Stones articles as well of course, as being a fairly comprehensive collection of the band's sheet music.

For the 71 Tour and Hyde Park 69 accounts alone, it is well worth the price of admission, even if it is somewhat superceded by Dalton's later publication.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home