Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones - Musical Legacy
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:45

When I'm not posting nonsense on Iorr - Tell Me or traveling around my kingdom making sure the peasants are behaving themselves I like to post more nonsense at this groovy place.

Brian Jones: Censored From Our Minds

[members7.boardhost.com]

It's a great, informative, fair and open minded forum, like it says...

''This board is for fans who want to discuss all aspects of the life and times of Brian Jones: the great, the good, the not so good, and the ugly.''

Anyway the point of this post is to bring to your attention the wonderful video's site owner Lisa has put together showcasing certain aspects of Brian - the musician.

The site is a work in progress, more to come, but whats there already is pretty damn cool imo. If you have some spare time, take a look and watch the clips linked below.

Legacy:
[brian.jones.angelfire.com]

Adom Soundtrack:

Dulcimer:

Harmonica:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-15 17:06 by His Majesty.

Re: Brian Jones - Musical Legacy
Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 4, 2011 02:01

It's an excellent site and just what was needed: enthusiastic, informative and sensible (which isn't that common a combination).

Although I've read a lot about Brian and about the Stones in general, I've found out a lot more on that forum.

Edited for awkwardness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-04 02:28 by Squiggle.

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: January 4, 2011 03:37

The harmonica clip was great!!!

This is a wonderful site...A lot of information there. The archive pages are really fantastic...

Posted by: courtfieldroad ()
Date: January 4, 2011 15:32

Thanks, His Majesty, I knew about the messageboard but not about the videos site. Very cool and the start of an excellent tribute to Brian's musical legacy!

I'd sort of forgotten about Brian's amazing harp on Gold Painted Nails, long time since I listened to it, what a gem! It lays to waste the claims that Brian'd had it because of losing Anita. Good to see this one getting out there to the masses.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 4, 2011 15:38

Well I believe he lost himself after losing Anita to Keith. GPN sounds a like a rough demo of Love is strong. Even if Love is strong is based on Wicked as it seems.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:04

Genius.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:38

Thanks! Looks like that's a cool site

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 4, 2011 17:52

That Gold Painted Nails take is quite something - for both Brian's harp and that Nicky Hopkins organ part. Thanks for the links - I never realised there was more to that site than the messageboard.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 4, 2011 18:24

marvpeck
Thanks! Looks like that's a cool site

It is!

- Doxa

Posted by: tay66 ()
Date: January 4, 2011 19:24

wonderful job!!!

Date: January 5, 2011 00:46

After I listened to Gold Painted Nails it stayed in my head for the rest of the day...

And no, Brian didn't lose himself after losing Anita...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-05 00:48 by Marie.

Date: January 5, 2011 04:38

I agree, Marie, only the most simple takes on Brian's life have him sliding directly downhill after Anita. Not so simple as that and his work on Satanics doesn't point to it musically at any rate.

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: January 5, 2011 06:50

Talented musician who founded one of the greatest bands in popular music who got spun out on acid and died.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 5, 2011 14:10

Well I dont know, in late 66 early 67 he was on top, still over the top and insecure but by all accounts the relationship with Anita not only inspired others (Dylan, Keith), it gave him a huge push. He was on top.
When she left with Keith he quickly disintegrated. Acid, booze and downers didnt help but he really went on a death trip after Anita. Without drugs I guess he would have tried to "fight back". In a cynical way this huge downfall mus† have helped Mick and Keith when they fired him.

Date: January 5, 2011 15:04

I'd love to hear what Jimmy Page has to say about working with Brian Jones.

His "problems", problems with the band, and his drug busts are what ultimately did him in.

Date: January 5, 2011 20:52

This is a thread about videos showcasing his abilities and his legacy.

With or without Anita by his side Brian could still play very ace stuff when he felt like it.

Date: January 5, 2011 21:18

As for Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and comments about Brian Jones. I can report the following:

Robert was asked way back in 1979 in a CREEM Magazine interview about his relationship with the Stones. The reason for the question is that the interviewer pointed out that during "No Quarter" from the movie "The Song Remains the Same," John Paul Jones looked remarkably like Brian while sitting at the keyboard. Even his hair (for those of you who haven't seen it) was cut in the bob like Brian's. Anyway, they asked if Robert ever met Brian and he said that, no, not really, Brian died before he really got to know the Stones well. As you know Brian wanted Led Zep for the Rock n Roll Circus but Mick and Keith balked as they hadn't heard them yet. Anyway, in the same interview Jimmy commented that his one real memory of Brian was that once, when the Yardbirds were opening for the Stones, Brian had snuck backstage and "nicked" Jimmy's bottle of alcohol. He was laughing about it in the interview but he made no mention of working on the "Degree" soundtrack. Later, as in a few years ago, I heard Jimmy mention that his and Robert's inspiration for the "No Quarter" album (minus John Paul Jones but with Moroccan influences) came directly from the fact that Brian had first sojourned to record the Pipes of Pan. I suspect Jimmy had great admiration for Brian's musical abilities and he, himself, would later come to understand just how debilitating habitual drug use can become.

That's waht is so funny about it all. Keith became a much bigger junkie than Brian ever was.

I am new to this forum but I have been a Brian Jones and RS fan since 1973. I carried around Tony Sanchez "Up and Down with the Rolling Stones" in high school because, in those days, there really was virtually nothing out there about the behind the scenes story of the band.

I have plenty to say about all the controversy around the relationship between Brian, Keith, Anita, Mick and everyone else.....and I'll do so later but for now I'll just say that, even as much as I adore, love, and admire Brian, the real truth in all of this lies somewhere between the truth as presented by the Keith faction and the truth as presented by the Mick faction and the truth as presented by the Brian faction.

All too often the sides are in such polar opposition that you just know neither side can be completely right.

One simple example.

FACT: Brian was admired and got along well with John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Steve Marriott, Donovon, Steve Winwood.

OPINION; If Brian got along so well with all those folks then Mick and Keith must just be pricks since they had problems with him.

TRUTH; It's different being in a band and working within a band than it is socializing with other musicians.

It doesn't mean Brian completely deserves the bashing he gets from Keith.....but it doesn't mean he didn't have faults that might have irritated a group of closely working musicians.

I read all of this opinion dressed up as fact...some of it supporting Brian and some of it ripping him.....and the real truth truth, as Forrest Gump might say, is that it's probably a little of both.

Anyway, sorry for the threadjack.

Just like you all....I honestly, truly love the guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-05 21:19 by nostoneswithoutbrianjones.

Date: January 5, 2011 21:29

I agree with you.

In fact, I've read through some of the threads where the anti-Brian contingent wants to disparage his playing as being "not all that special."

Well, I am no master musician and I won't try to compare Brian's slide on No Expectations to Duane Allman's work.

It doesn't even matter who is more proficient.

Even if all Brian did was add "colour" as Mick described it......you still ahve to have the intuition to know what colour to add and when.

People want to say John disparaged Brian in the 1970 RS Interview when he said that "he wasn't sort of brilliant or anything...he was just a nice guy."

As usual the anti-Brian contingent is missing the point of John's comments---he wasn't making an issue of Brian's musical ability...he just was emphasizing the "nice guy" part.

In Paul's biography "Many Years From Now" there is a truly great, great passage where Paul recalls fondly his time with Brian. He tells the story of using the loud speaker in John's car to pretend they are the police and that Brian, up ahead in his car, is about to be busted. he also tlls the "You know my name" story and how Brian, unexpectedly showing up with a sax, plays a NOT TECHNICALLY perfect but very ropey (and exactly what the song needed) sax solo and that Brian was "always very good like that.....i.e. knowing exactly what to play and how to play it.

Even if, as the nay sayers suggest, Brian was not technically perfect, he's the guy who came up with the marimba line in UMT and the dulcimer part in LJ and the mellotron part in WLY and the recorder part in RT and so, in my opinion, he gets all the credit in the world for turning otherwise mundane songs into something special.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-05 23:14 by nostoneswithoutbrianjones.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 6, 2011 09:27

nostoneswithoutbrianjones - welcome to the board - it looks as though we've got some interesting discussions to come!

Meanwhile: it helps a lot if you can use the "Quote This Message" button so that when you say "I agree with you", we know which "you" you mean.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 6, 2011 09:53

Thank you Majesty. Some very interesting stuff.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 6, 2011 09:56

Welcome nostoneswithoutbrianjones. I like your style. Being positive about the one, without being negative about the other. That's great. Thanks.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 6, 2011 16:36

nostoneswithoutbrianjones
As for Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and comments about Brian Jones. I can report the following:

Robert was asked way back in 1979 in a CREEM Magazine interview about his relationship with the Stones. The reason for the question is that the interviewer pointed out that during "No Quarter" from the movie "The Song Remains the Same," John Paul Jones looked remarkably like Brian while sitting at the keyboard. Even his hair (for those of you who haven't seen it) was cut in the bob like Brian's. Anyway, they asked if Robert ever met Brian and he said that, no, not really, Brian died before he really got to know the Stones well. As you know Brian wanted Led Zep for the Rock n Roll Circus but Mick and Keith balked as they hadn't heard them yet. Anyway, in the same interview Jimmy commented that his one real memory of Brian was that once, when the Yardbirds were opening for the Stones, Brian had snuck backstage and "nicked" Jimmy's bottle of alcohol. He was laughing about it in the interview but he made no mention of working on the "Degree" soundtrack. Later, as in a few years ago, I heard Jimmy mention that his and Robert's inspiration for the "No Quarter" album (minus John Paul Jones but with Moroccan influences) came directly from the fact that Brian had first sojourned to record the Pipes of Pan. I suspect Jimmy had great admiration for Brian's musical abilities and he, himself, would later come to understand just how debilitating habitual drug use can become.

Apparently (I haven't read it), the recent Led Zeppelin biography When Giants Walked the Earth has some bits about Jimmy and Brian (they went UFO spotting together?).

There's a photo of them in a studio on CFOM:

[members7.boardhost.com]

Date: January 6, 2011 18:43

Oh, my my......

What a find!

You've just made my month....

My two favorite all-time musicians in a photo together.

What a great photograph.

You don't know how thrilled I am to see it.

Date: January 7, 2011 12:26

His Majesty
This is a thread about videos showcasing his abilities and his legacy.

With or without Anita by his side Brian could still play very ace stuff when he felt like it.

Speaking of the videos, I will say for the first "If you've got five minutes" video there's something about seeing that musical progession laid out like that that captures the 1960s Stones so nicely, driving home how key Brian was to what they were back then. I was also hit again by that odd, unintentional bookending of Brian more or less starting and ending his Stones career with slide guitar.

Where is the version of "I Can't Be Satisfied" from that's used in that video? I didn't notice the first time watching, but now I realize it's not the studio version. A BBC version, I'm guessing?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 8, 2011 02:15

I love Brian! Too bad that he did seem to lose interest in the guitar.

Date: January 8, 2011 03:04

slew
I love Brian! Too bad that he did seem to lose interest in the guitar.

Had he not we'd probably have missed out on all those amazing instrumental parts he played on various instruments.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 8, 2011 19:50

His Majesty - You may be right but it did burden them playing live.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home