Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones' Aftermath vs Beatles' Revolver
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: December 2, 2012 18:58

Two of the TOP-Albums in 1966.

My fav. stones-Album so far is stil Aftermath. I know, I know--many of you will say, that was Pop-music! Yeah--thats right.--but on high Level!

same is Revolver from the Fab 4 . best beatles-album ever in their short carriere.

I dont think that anybody of you will disagree!!??

Re: Stones' Aftermath vs Beatles' Revolver
Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:09

The title of the thread is VS though.

My opinion...
Comparing Revolver to Aftermath is like comparing A porche with... a toy model of a porche. The Stones first all-original album is not even in the same league with arguably the best Beatles album ever made. Not a fair comparison.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:39

Beatles win this although the boys put up a nice attack.

They're time will come.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:48

treaclefingers
Beatles win this although the boys put up a nice attack.

They're time will come.

It certainly did 2 years later.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:56

All get shite for this, but some people would prefer Aftermath by far..not loving Revolver, Rubber Soul much better...IMMHO. eye popping smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:58

Revolver is the Beatles' best album; but for some reason nearly 50 years down the road, "Doncha Bother Me" sounds better to me than anything from Revolver (or Sgt. Pepper for that matter)

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:04

Not in the same league. The Beatles were ahead of their time, The Stones didn't get to the stage of solid masterpiece records until Beggars Banquet.
Abbey Road vs. Let It Bleed would be a better and more even comparison.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:09

Revolver by some distance.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:11

Havo
Two of the TOP-Albums in 1966.

My fav. stones-Album so far is stil Aftermath. I know, I know--many of you will say, that was Pop-music! Yeah--thats right.--but on high Level!

same is Revolver from the Fab 4 . best beatles-album ever in their short carriere.

I dont think that anybody of you will disagree!!??

1966 is arguably the top year in popular music history. Not perhaps in terms of there being more outstanding songs/albums than any other year (some of the late sixties/early seventies popular music eclipses it), but in terms of musical creativity/experimentation, within the need to keep trying many new and exciting musical ideas. REVOLVER finds the Beatles very much at the pinnacle of their powers, in terms of them expanding on their sound, before they became arguably a little too self indulgent with SGT PEPPER, while AFTERMATH shows the Stones just beginning to get into their stride. Yes, i think REVOLVER is very much in a different league to AFTERMATH, but that's no slight on the Stones, because REVOLVER is arguably the best album ever recorded.

Date: December 2, 2012 20:12

Well since the Bealtes are not even in my top 10, it's gotta be Stones.

By far.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:17

The Beatles stuff post-Revolver is great, but it barely rocks at all. As a result it sounds safe and dated. Here in Japan, teachers teach Beatles songs in middle school to help kids learn English, but young girls love the Stones music and wear their T-shirts (just like in the rest of the world). There's a reason for that - guitar/blues based rock and roll is timeless, and the Stones did it better than anyone else.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:24

Beggars Banquet and Aftermath would be more fair of a comparrison. The Beatles started a few years before the Stones so both alubms came out at around the same point in their careers, respectivley.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-02 20:49 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:28

drbryant
The Beatles stuff post-Revolver is great, but it barely rocks at all. As a result it sounds safe and dated. Here in Japan, teachers teach Beatles songs in middle school to help kids learn English, but young girls love the Stones music and wear their T-shirts (just like in the rest of the world). There's a reason for that - guitar/blues based rock and roll is timeless, and the Stones did it better than anyone else.

Good to hear, but doesn't surprise me...the Beatles were very innovative, but forgot to include great melodies, riffs...starting with Revolver..The Stones always have, even up to their new song "One More Shot"..they are and were masters at it.

Date: December 2, 2012 20:29

Well, if we're going for best in 1966, I'll go for Blonde on Blonde.

Date: December 2, 2012 20:29

treaclefingers

Cheers, but the Stones always win...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:34

drbryant
Revolver is the Beatles' best album; but for some reason nearly 50 years down the road, "Doncha Bother Me" sounds better to me than anything from Revolver (or Sgt. Pepper for that matter)

Yes, i see where you're coming from. Stylistically, the Stones brought something very different to what the Beatles could offer, and 'Doncha Bother Me' is a perfect example of that. It has that wonderfully raw bluesy vibe, while perhaps not being amongst the greatest of Stones songs. The Beatles may offer some wonderfully memorable songs, and sometimes some brilliantly creative experiments, but they just don't move me in quite the same way as the Stones. However, i do love the 1966 era Beatles, possibly as much as any era of the Stones, and i really do think REVOLVER could give any Stones album a run for its money. However, once the Beatles started recording tracks like 'Rocky Racoon', 'Bungalow Bill', and 'Piggies' later in the sixties, while the Stones had properly hit their stride with BEGGARS BANQUET, the Stones really did sound like they were beginning to edge in front. Lennon, though, did have a uniqueness, that was pretty untouchable, the Stones also had theirs too, but in a different way.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:35

Well, there's 3 top-albums from 1966 and I'll rank them:

1/ Revolver - The Beatles
2/ Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan
3/ Aftermath - The Rolling Stones

then you got PeT Sounds Freak Out close behind....

2 1 2 0

Date: December 2, 2012 20:37

steel driving hammer
treaclefingers

You got a lotta nerve to say you gotta helping hand to lend, you just want to be on the side that's winning.

Date: December 2, 2012 20:39

treaclefingers
steel driving hammer
treaclefingers

You got a lotta nerve to say you gotta helping hand to lend, you just want to be on the side that's winning.

Great tune but when I was 9, I didn't know the Stones were winning.

All the way baby all the way...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:50

Aftermath and Revolver both are Great Albums.

My favorite track from Aftermath; Going Home 11.13 longest track ever by the RS.

Cheers

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: December 2, 2012 21:40

Come On

Are you forgetting these? Clapton was on fire in '66.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: December 2, 2012 22:00

I know a lot of Beatles fans don't like to hear this but The Beatles rode a wave of popularity the music world had never seen before and probably hasn't seen since. Every album and single was hyped up beyond belief. Take a look back at some of their chart hits. Were all those songs so great?

When you actually listen to Sgt. Peppers/Revolver and compare them to Sticky Fingers/Exile or Who's Next/Tommy song for song they're not any better imo. The Beatles albums were a little more mainstream and more popular amongst the masses but not superior.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 2, 2012 22:02

DiscoVolante
Come On

Are you forgetting these? Clapton was on fire in '66.

You can't talk about music in 66 and not mention this incredible album.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 2, 2012 22:16

1966; some more...

Kinks
Troggs
The Who
Small Faces
Walker brothers
Ike & Tina Turner
Spencer Davis Group
Yardbirds

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 2, 2012 22:20

drbryant
I fully agree.
The problem with beatles is that it has become so old and dated.
To this date, if you put on Aftermath, it's all excitement from the beginning of side A to the end of side B.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: December 2, 2012 22:37

I think The Beatles really "made their bones" with their earlier stuff- songs like Yesterday, Help, I Wanna Hold Your Hand etc.. Although those songs might sound a bit dated they have a unique sound and imo are easier to listen to than the later stuff.

When it comes to the later Beatles music- the stuff that was more like modern rock and roll, other bands like The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin etc. did it just as well.

Date: December 2, 2012 23:00

steel driving hammer
treaclefingers
steel driving hammer
treaclefingers

Great tune but when I was 9, I didn't know the Stones were winning.

All the way baby all the way...

As you are significantly older than me, I will defer to you on this.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 2, 2012 23:07

FrankM
I think The Beatles really "made their bones" with their earlier stuff- songs like Yesterday, Help, I Wanna Hold Your Hand etc.. Although those songs might sound a bit dated they have a unique sound and imo are easier to listen to than the later stuff.

When it comes to the later Beatles music- the stuff that was more like modern rock and roll, other bands like The Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin etc. did it just as well.

Hmmm..Revolver got songs like 'I'm only sleeping,Ëleanor Rigby,She said she said,And your bird can sing, For no one, I want to tell you and Tomorrow never knows' on it...this shit was the start for 'The Pshychedelia period'...not bad huh!....

Date: December 2, 2012 23:12

Aftermath is very good, but Revolver is a timeless classic. The Beatles were expanding with tracks like Tomorrow Never Knows, whilst the Stones were still peddling - though be it, enjoyable - fodder like What To Do.

Date: December 2, 2012 23:14

I will add, however, tracks like Under My Thumb stand up to anything The Beatles ever laid-down on the long-player.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1446
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home