Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LOVE TRAIN SWAY!!!
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: December 15, 2010 18:07

Dedicated to you and all the good people over here...

Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: LOVE TRAIN SWAY!!!
Date: December 15, 2010 18:13

Not to Joseph Blatter of course...

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 15, 2010 18:27

Sway, how good are you at parallel parking ?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 15, 2010 18:32

Muchos besos en tú también,Carlitos .smileys with beer
Come es dice in Espanol ?
Yo entiendes ustedes ?( i swear I didn't use any dictionary on line ...just a few words I recall from my secondary school :-))

I saw the Stones in 2003 but to be honest, I can't stand Jagger with his silky shirt .
Although I would have given a lot to see the Stones at the Olympia smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 15, 2010 19:51

Beautiful. Gracias.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 15, 2010 20:23

carlitosbaez

Carlitos
Tenerife

They are rather good at foxtrotting.smiling smiley

Date: December 15, 2010 20:43

Amsterdamned
carlitosbaez

Carlitos
Tenerife

They are rather good at foxtrotting.smiling smiley

what "foxtrotting "means ?

Date: December 15, 2010 21:04

The Foxtrot originated in the summer of 1914 by Vaudeville actor Harry Fox. Born Arthur Carringford in Pomona, California, in 1882, he adopted the stage name of "Fox" after his grandfather.

Harry was thrown on his own resources at the age of fifteen. He joined a circus for a brief tour and he also played professional baseball for a short while. A music publisher liked his voice and hired him to sing songs from the boxes of vaudeville theaters in San Francisco. In 1904 he appeared in a Belvedere Theatre in a comedy entitled "Mr. Frisky of Frisco." After the San Francisco earthquake and the fire of 1906, Harry Fox migrated East and finally stopped in New York.

In early 1914, Fox was appearing in various vaudeville shows in the New York area. In April he teamed up with Yansci Dolly of the famous Dolly Sisters in an act of Hammerstein's. At the same time, the New York Theatre, one of the largest in the World, was being converted into a movie house. As an extra attraction, the theater's management decided to try vaudeville acts between the shows. They selected Harry Fox and his company of "American Beauties" to put on a dancing act. An article in Variety Magazine stated "Harry Fox will appear for a month or longer at a large salary with billing that will occupy the front of the theatre in electrics".

At the same time, the roof of the theatre was converted to a Jardin de Danse, and the Dolly sisters were featured in a nightly revue.

The May 29, 1914 issue of Variety Magazine reported "The debut of Harry Fox as a lone star and act amidst the films of the daily change at the New York Theatre started off with every mark of success. The Dolly Sisters are dancing nightly on the New York Roof. Gold cups will be given away next week to the winners of dance contests on the New York Roof."

The Fox-trot originated in the Jardin de Danse on the roof of the New York Theatre. As part of his act downstairs, Harry Fox was doing trotting steps to ragtime music, and people referred to his dance as "Fox's Trot."

In the rise to fame of the Vernon Castles, exhibition dancers of outstanding talent and charm, there was no doubt that the fox-trot was the most original and exciting of their various dances.

The elite of the dancing world were soon trying to capture the unusual style of movement and when a very talented American, G.K. Anderson came over to London, and with Josephine Bradley won many competitions, he set the seal - so to speak - on the style of the foxtrot.

As a result of the great popularity which ballroom dancing was enjoying, it was necessary to evolve a form of dance that could express the slow syncopated 4/4 rhythm and yet could remain "on the spot." This did not mean that the "traveling" fox-trot was dropped, but the "on the spot" dance did provide a means of enjoying the music in a background which large numbers of people could afford and enjoy, and where various bands were all producing excellent and individual musicians and experimenting with and perfect all of the new sounds and beats from America. The "on the spot" dancing was known appropriately as crush, then rhythm dancing. It is now called "social" dancing and possibly this conveys its purpose and limitations. It would be anti-social to attempt to stride around a ballroom crowded with dancers, to dance with only one partner when out with a party, or to be so engrossed with the performance of figures that any conversation is taboo. It can also create a very good base - should it be desired - for the foxtrot.

The Foxtrot was the most significant development in all of ballroom dancing. The combination of quick and slow steps permits more flexibility and gives much greater dancing pleasure than the one-step and two-step which it has replaced. There is more variety in the fox-trot than in any other dance, and in some ways it is the hardest dance to learn!

Variations of the foxtrot include the Peabody, the Quickstep and Roseland foxtrot. Even dances such as the lindy and the hustle are derived to some extent from the foxtrot.

Read more: Foxtrot Dance History - Origins of Ballroom Dance [www.centralhome.com]
Dance, Fitness & Sports CentralHome

Date: December 15, 2010 21:14

Forget about it Swaystones

Amsterdamned to you.....

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 15, 2010 21:16

Edith Grove

Well this could be me (in the car that is). But I always blame the Woody Allens in those cases. Plus that I got my driver's license when I was already 52. Those 2 excuses always do the trick. People immediately forgive me and praise me for being so tough to get a driver's license at that age.

Btw I did learn the foxtrot with my first wife in Rotterdam in the 80ties. We were at the most special dancing school you can imagine. It was really big fun. Still feel my toes, though.

Date: December 15, 2010 22:22

carlitosbaez

Amsterdamned to you.....

Well,you could dedicated Bob Seger to me as well.winking smiley
I have the vinyl .

Date: December 15, 2010 22:22

carlitosbaez

Amsterdamned to you.....

Thanks Carlitos,

This genuine Dutch evergreen is for you.thumbs up

Date: December 15, 2010 22:24

kleermaker
Plus that I got my driver's license when I was already 52. Those 2 excuses always do the trick. People immediately forgive me and praise me for being so tough to get a driver's license at that age.

Men who don't know how to drive aren't sexy imo.
what a shame you don't like cars ......

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-15 22:31 by SwayStones.

Date: December 15, 2010 22:33

SwayStones
Men that don't know how to drive aren't sexy imo.

"Americans are broad-minded people.
They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there is something wrong with him."

-Art Buchwald

Date: December 15, 2010 22:35

Edith Grove
SwayStones
Men that don't know how to drive aren't sexy imo.

"Americans are broad-minded people.
They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there is something wrong with him."

-Art Buchwald

What "broad- minded" means ?

Date: December 15, 2010 22:44

SwayStones
What "broad- minded" means ?

In this case, the same as "open minded."

Buchwald is basically saying that you can have a mental disease, but if you can't drive then you are strange.

Date: December 16, 2010 00:05

Dedicated to SwayStones en Edith Grove!!!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 16, 2010 01:19

SwayStones
kleermaker
Plus that I got my driver's license when I was already 52. Those 2 excuses always do the trick. People immediately forgive me and praise me for being so tough to get a driver's license at that age.

Men who don't know how to drive aren't sexy imo.
what a shame you don't like cars ......

I never needed a car to get a girl, so why learning to drive? They always drove me. I have learned it to experience how it is, just like I have flown to experience it, though (or perhaps because) I have fear of flying. Dying en masse has always been a repulsive thought to me.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 16, 2010 12:01

I don't think Charlie Watts drives.Saw an interview with him once saying he loves cars and owns a few,but has never bothered to drive.This was a few years ago.He said he may learn to drive one day.Dunno whether he ever did. smoking smiley

Date: December 16, 2010 13:12

crawdaddy
I don't think Charlie Watts drives.Saw an interview with him once saying he loves cars and owns a few,but has never bothered to drive.This was a few years ago.He said he may learn to drive one day.Dunno whether he ever did. smoking smiley

Yeah, I heard the same about Charlie.

I know Keith drives, or at least used to, but really, who would want to be a passenger with Keith driving? grinning smiley

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: December 16, 2010 14:09

Edith Grove
crawdaddy

Yeah, I heard the same about Charlie.

I know Keith drives, or at least used to, but really, who would want to be a passenger with Keith driving? grinning smiley

That's correct. Charlie doesn't drive. You might have heard about the car accident he, Shirley and their driver were involved in in the south of France a few years back?
Keith drives - but NEVER in America. He drives in England and is comfortable driving on the left side of the road! And Edith Grove, I suppose you've heard that the consumption of alcohol's next to nothing these days, yes? Keith looks healthy, fit and a lot younger than I've seen him in many years.

Date: December 16, 2010 14:37

I never needed a car to get a girl, so why learning to drive? They always drove me. <kleermaker> cool smiley

Would you mind translating this in Dutch Kleermaker?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 14:38 by Amsterdamned.

Date: December 16, 2010 15:05

Edith Grove

hehe .>grinning smiley<
btw,I prefer to think about Keith as a driver rather than a car occupant.Sometimes ,weird things happens on back seats ...

Date: December 16, 2010 17:09

Addicted
And Edith Grove, I suppose you've heard that the consumption of alcohol's next to nothing these days, yes? Keith looks healthy, fit and a lot younger than I've seen him in many years.

Oh yeah, I do know about this. Just having a bit of fun at Keith's expense.

There was the time, way back when, that he famously crashed his Bently somewhere.
I never really heard the circumstances surrounding this. Does he talk about this in his book?

Date: December 16, 2010 17:13

Amsterdamned
I never needed a car to get a girl, so why learning to drive? They always drove me. <kleermaker> cool smiley

Would you mind translating this in Dutch Kleermaker?

If I understand well what kleermaker wrote above,,he is saying he never got a girl in a car but still they drove him crazy .smoking smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 16, 2010 17:25

Around here, men who are driven around by women are looked at as losers. I guess it goes back to old school stuff that says that a woman should always be driven around by a man unless they are driving alone or with friends or kids or elderly people.

From those I've discussed that concept with it is just assumed that a woman driving a man around is because the man lost his license, has no license, or is a drunk.

Date: December 16, 2010 17:27

The Sicilian
From those I've discussed that concept with it is just assumed that a woman driving a man around is because the man lost his license, has no license, or is a drunk.

Or it could be the man travels in a foreign country and is driven by a friend.winking smiley

Date: December 16, 2010 17:56

SwayStones
Or it could be the man travels in a foreign country and is driven by a friend.winking smiley

I resemble that remark. grinning smiley

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: December 16, 2010 18:11

Edith Grove
Addicted
And Edith Grove, I suppose you've heard that the consumption of alcohol's next to nothing these days, yes? Keith looks healthy, fit and a lot younger than I've seen him in many years.

Oh yeah, I do know about this. Just having a bit of fun at Keith's expense.

There was the time, way back when, that he famously crashed his Bently somewhere.
I never really heard the circumstances surrounding this. Does he talk about this in his book?

Yes.
The Blue Lena's had a tough and bumpy ride. Fortunately nobody got killed, but that was just pure luck. On the way back from Knebworth in '76, he and MArlon... Well, read about it yourself. That's a lot better than me trying to explain. Keith tells the story well. He was there. I wasn't. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 16, 2010 18:22

Edith Grove

I am very very good at it .I'll show you next time .
Truth is,you only saw me park at an angle to the kerb cool smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home