Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Does A Stones Beatles Fan's Rivalry Really Exist?
Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: December 16, 2010 00:21

stupidguy2
lsbz
stupidguy2
But you still haven't given me ten songs yet...

..'one of the few Beatles albums that I actually own,

Then there you go. I know people who only know the Stones' Satisfaction and Honky Tonk Woman......and they just don't get it.

Not a valid argument. I've heard way more songs than I own. I'm not going to buy sh*t albums.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 00:24 by lsbz.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 16, 2010 00:49

lsbz

Not a valid argument. I've heard way more songs than I own. I'm not going to buy sh*t albums.

Case closed...

Date: December 16, 2010 00:59

stupidguy2
lsbz

Case closed...

Good. But you don't seem to be contradicting that A Hard Days Night has two good songs. Diverting the attention to avoid the real issue. Indeed much like religion: a lot of pretentions based on nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 01:02 by lsbz.

Date: December 16, 2010 01:46

lsbz
stupidguy2
lsbz

Case closed...

Good. But you don't seem to be contradicting that A Hard Days Night has two good songs. Diverting the attention to avoid the real issue. Indeed much like religion: a lot of pretentions based on nothing.

Tell Me Why
I'm So Happy Just to Dance With You
If I Fell
Can't Buy Me Love
You Can't Do That
Any Time at All
Things We Said Today
I'll Be Back
Hard Days Night
Should Have Known Better
And I Love Her
I'll Cry Instead

Missing anything?
It's also one of the best album covers ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 01:47 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 16, 2010 01:55

i've never understood why its all or nothing.its amazing to me how many people are either in the "beatles are the best band ever"camp or they're in the "beatles suck"camp.not just on this board but everywhere.

i think they were really good and would put them in my top 10.

they did rock.i saw mccartney in 1976 and i was in the 2nd row and to this day what i remember is how much paul just looked like your typical english rock star in person.i dont mean that in a bad way,he just looked a bit like keith or jeff beck or page,very rock and roll and he did a version of long tall sally for an encore that blew the roof off of the place.

this was only 6 years after the beatles broke up and he had every bit of that voice intact.it was the wings venus and mars tour and not even close the pop show i had expected.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 16, 2010 01:56

The Beatles aren't rock:
Ok, here is a list of some pretty hard rocking stuff from them (only a smattering of selected rock, no covers):

You Can't Do That
She's A Woman
I'm Down
I Saw Her Standing There
When I Get Home
Rain
Taxman
She Said She Said
And Your Bird Can Sing
Sgt Peppers, and Peppers Reprise
Getting Better
Helter Skelter
Glass Onion
Back in the USSR
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Everybodies Got Somthing to Hide (Except Me and My Monkey)
Birthday
Revolution
Get Back
I Dig A Pony
One After 909
I've Got a Feeling
Oh Darling
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Polythene Pam
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
The End

And the list can go on and on and on....

Date: December 16, 2010 02:04

lem motlow
i've never understood why its all or nothing.its amazing to me how many people are either in the "beatles are the best band ever"camp or they're in the "beatles suck"camp.not just on this board but everywhere.

A falsification. Nobody would believe that the Beatles suck, because it obviously is not true; Beatles fans are mostly offended by calling the Beatles a good band but not very special.

lem motlow

They would possibly be in my top 50, but in my opinion they are second or third rate.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 16, 2010 02:06

Great posting, Gazza, not leaving much to add except many of us Stones fans started out as followers of the Beatles. So what's the shame in that? We have great taste! Hell, the Stones were Beatles fans, even borrowing Beatles tunes to record in the early 60's....and why is the word POP a dirty word? SAs someone said it just means popular and that's a good thing. Once the Stones came into their own, I was so blown away that it became an obsession and by then the Beatles broke up anyway. To deny that the Beatles opened up many doors for most recording artists from the mid-60's on is an undeniable fact. No one cares if Stones fans don't adore the Beatles but most of us are respectful of their immense talent, at the very least.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 16, 2010 02:14

Isbz: I don't know if you are winning, but I do admire your stamina!

Date: December 16, 2010 02:19

Stoneage

Thanks. But we're only having a debate; being a true democrat, I think that anyone else's opinion is as valid as mine. I just am much surprised and annoyed by the intolerance of Beatles fans compared to the more relaxed attitude of Stones fans.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 16, 2010 02:30

whitem8
The Beatles aren't rock:
Ok, here is a list of some pretty hard rocking stuff from them (only a smattering of selected rock, no covers):

You Can't Do That
She's A Woman
I'm Down
I Saw Her Standing There
When I Get Home
Rain
Taxman
She Said She Said
And Your Bird Can Sing
Getting Better
Helter Skelter
Glass Onion
Back in the USSR
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Birthday
Revolution
Get Back
I Dig A Pony
One After 909
I've Got a Feeling
Oh Darling
Polythene Pam
The End

Using this list as a sample that probably reflects my overall take on their catalog, I can see 6 out of the 27 songs that I really like. I have no desire to say the others are bad, I don't think they are....I just don't care for them, and this is why I can think they could be thought of as overrated. Beatle fans can love them all and I am fine with that, but recognize it's ok not to care for a lot of them too.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 16, 2010 02:32

I donĀ“t know. I just hate the 4 guys music. I think a crap of band. But rivalry sounds stupid.

Date: December 16, 2010 02:32

whitem8
The Beatles aren't rock:

You Can't Do That
She's A Woman
I'm Down
I Saw Her Standing There
When I Get Home
Rain
Taxman
She Said She Said
And Your Bird Can Sing
Getting Better
Helter Skelter
Glass Onion
Back in the USSR
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Birthday
Revolution
Get Back
I Dig A Pony
One After 909
I've Got a Feeling
Oh Darling
Polythene Pam
The End

The Stones probably have as many *albums* that are rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 02:35 by lsbz.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 16, 2010 02:37

lsbz
lem motlow

A falsification. Nobody would believe that the Beatles suck, because it obviously is not true; Beatles fans are mostly offended by calling the Beatles a good band but not very special.

lem motlow

They would possibly be in my top 50, but in my opinion they are second or third rate.

look kid,i'm not one to pile on but that "falsification' thing.yeah,i've never actually read that or heard anyone say it,are you serious? you werent around during the punk era were you? i remember hearing "one down three to go " when john died but i guess no one would ever be so harsh as to say the beatles suck.you should just quit while you're behind.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: December 16, 2010 02:43

MKjan
I try to like the Beatles, but just having to make the effort makes me feel I am swayed by some of the hype. So ultimately some nice ballads but not a lot of rockin' going on. With the Stones, regardless of the hype, the music....the rockin' music......no effort required..... just pulled in!

Wow I feel the same exact way!!!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Date: December 16, 2010 02:50

lsbz
Stoneage

Thanks. But we're only having a debate; being a true democrat, I think that anyone else's opinion is as valid as mine. I just am much surprised and annoyed by the intolerance of Beatles fans compared to the more relaxed attitude of Stones fans.

I've always seen the opposite, not Stones fans, but "rock and roll" fans in general. The denial of something is just that, an absolute denial of something that exists.
MKjan made a better argument. The respect is there, its just not a personal preference. I know I'm supposed to like Tom Waits because he's good, but I don't. I still respect the art.
But Isbz, you are relegating the Beatles as second, possibly third rate....mediocre etc...
That's absurd. It is what it is and music has changed because of them....that's a fact, not "Beatles fans" hyperbole.
And like Gazza said, we're all Stones fans, so......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 02:52 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 16, 2010 02:57

lsbz
whitem8
The Beatles aren't rock:

You Can't Do That
She's A Woman
I'm Down
I Saw Her Standing There
When I Get Home
Rain
Taxman
She Said She Said
And Your Bird Can Sing
Getting Better
Helter Skelter
Glass Onion
Back in the USSR
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Birthday
Revolution
Get Back
I Dig A Pony
One After 909
I've Got a Feeling
Oh Darling
Polythene Pam
The End

The Stones probably have as many *albums* that are rock.

Of course the Stones do! That is not the point, but finally you are admitting that The Beatles are rock!! But seriously, when you say that "I just am much surprised and annoyed by the intolerance of Beatles fans compared to the more relaxed attitude of Stones fans." Again you are totally not comprehending the issue or the argument. We are ALL STONES FANS HERE!. And it is not as a Beatle fan thta folks are being intolerent, it is that your arguments are totally not supported by fact, and your thought process that leads you to the points you made is jumbled, inarticulate, and seemingly full of contradictions and inacuracies. THAT is was people are intolerate about.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 16, 2010 03:01

lsbz
Stoneage

Who appointed you to speak on behalf of 'Stones fans' ?

Every 'Beatles fan' you're pillorying on here happens to be a 'Stones fan' as well.

Stop making it sound like its some form of sect that tolerates nothing else. We're music fans who happen to be both Stones and Beatles fans too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-16 03:36 by Gazza.

Date: December 16, 2010 03:54

Gazza

I never wrote that I speak on behalf of Stones fans.

Gazza
Every 'Beatles fan' you're pillorying on here happens to be a 'Stones fan' as well.

So what?! As I wrote earlier, if you criticize the Stones for going pop in the seventies noone here cares.

I repeat the quote I thought is very typical of exaggerated Beatle hysteria:

"It's like the Bible - you have your favorite book, but then there's the Bible, or Koran or whatver - it just is."

The Stones could be your favorite book, but the Beatles should be your Bible or Koran?! I can't take that seriously; it is way ridiculous. Get some perspective.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 16, 2010 04:20

lsbz
Gazza

I never wrote that I speak on behalf of Stones fans.

You're describing the 'Stones fans' in this thread as having a 'relaxed attitude' to this discussion. As that seemingly excludes anyone who disagrees with you (which seems to only leave the usual eloquent suspect that is mickscarey) , you're effectively suggesting that you're the only Stones fans on here. Who are you to define what a Stones fan is and isn't? I dont need to justify myself to you, nor does anyone else. There hasnt been a word of criticism of the Stones on this entire thread, from what I can see.

lsbz
I repeat the quote I thought is very typical of exaggerated Beatle hysteria:

"It's like the Bible - you have your favorite book, but then there's the Bible, or Koran or whatver - it just is."

The Stones could be your favorite book, but the Beatles should be your Bible or Koran?! I can't take that seriously; it is way ridiculous. Get some perspective.

Not my quote. However, I'll repeat one I DID make on page 1 of this thread which you've basically vindicated :

'Getting worked up about a 'rivalry' is like something a 10 year old girl may have cared about in 1964. Anyone who still feels threatened or uptight about it in 2010 needs their head examined'.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 16, 2010 05:28

I'd like to know something -

is this about the same time line of the two bands? Because after 1969 it's a moot point regardless of how stupid it is.

And I certainly wouldn't compare either band to The Bible or any other religious book. The Beatles and The Rolling Stones actually exist - they're not mythological stories designed to keep people "in line".

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home