Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Paul McCartney to play 100 club
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 16, 2010 12:43

Matt is 100% on the money. It would be easy peasy to get £150,000 times however many big-name artists would be willing to put their money where their mouth is by donating 90 minutes of their time to giving a gig. Money in the bank for the 100 Club (and one in the eye for the scalpers).

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 16, 2010 18:34

Latest from Macca on 100 Club.......................................McCartney backs calls to save historic London venue

Sir Paul McCartney has backed the campaign to save London's iconic 100 Club after his upcoming gig at the venue sold out in seconds.

The Beatles legend announced on Tuesday that he will play a show at the tiny, 300-capacity underground concert hall in the capital on Friday.

Tickets for the show, which were priced at £60, sold out almost instantly - and McCartney has now thrown his weight behind the campaign to save the 100 Club from closure after the owners admitted soaring rents in central London are putting the famed venue under threat.

He says, "I've never played at the 100 Club before and it's great to be playing at a venue with so much great history that has seen so many brilliant gigs over the years. One of the reasons for playing the 100 Club, besides playing a small club gig, is so that we can be part of the campaign to help the venue stay open for a new generation of up and coming artists - like myself!"

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 16, 2010 18:50

mickschix
Wish I could see that show!

I'll bet the security cameras will be recording. If owned a club I would have the best security cameras in prime positions mounted on walls and ceilings in those little bubbles.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 16, 2010 22:27

paulywaul
Hammersmith Apollo Saturday 18th - I have two tickets for sale at face value for this gig, I paid £222.25 incl TM charges - location is Circle block 3 row U.

E-mail me (my e-mail address is not hidden) or leave message here. Can meet you outside the venue on the night. Thanks. P

Sold

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 16, 2010 22:41

crawdaddy
He says, "I've never played at the 100 Club before and it's great to be playing at a venue with so much great history that has seen so many brilliant gigs over the years. One of the reasons for playing the 100 Club, besides playing a small club gig, is so that we can be part of the campaign to help the venue stay open for a new generation of up and coming artists - like myself!"

Simple solution chimp face. Give them the money they need to stay in business.

And save us all from yer crap music by doing so.

Sorted.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 16, 2010 23:32

andy js
crawdaddy

Simple solution chimp face. Give them the money they need to stay in business.

And save us all from yer crap music by doing so.

Sorted.
Man,your a real pleasure aren't you.

Date: December 17, 2010 00:16

Why do prats like andy js bother to post when they are so rude about it.confused smiley I have read that people are so rude on the internet on sites like this and luckily I don't see it very often on here,but on other sites it is all over the place.Why do people who visit a fans site be so disrespectful about anything and everything.It realy beats me.There has got to be something wrong inside their head.Anyway............up yours andy js angry smiley and Good on Yer Macca for supporting The 100 Club >grinning smiley<

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: December 17, 2010 04:32

I was trying since just before 10am and it was still Sold Out before I could get any tix.

It's all a con.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 17, 2010 04:35

Yeah Andy Js, what a class act you are! Why post to ruin a positive thread. You sir are a classless buffoon.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: December 17, 2010 10:28

i don't care for McCartney, circa 2010, but i am appreciative and very happy that he's supporting this legendary venue, in this way.

Date: December 17, 2010 10:47

Just killing bit of time on a sunny morning in Spain.Went on ticketmaster site and looked at Maccas gigs. 100 Club gig you can put in 1 or 2 tickets £60 standing and then security code and looking for tickets but none available.If I was back in U.K. I'd be looking pretty regular all morning.I got a 5th row arena ticket for The Who at RAH like that. You never know.Maybe,just maybe a few tickets become available to a few lucky people. smoking smiley>grinning smiley<smoking smiley

Date: December 17, 2010 10:53

crawdaddy
Just killing bit of time on a sunny morning in Spain.Went on ticketmaster site and looked at Maccas gigs. 100 Club gig you can put in 1 or 2 tickets £60 standing and then security code and looking for tickets but none available.If I was back in U.K. I'd be looking pretty regular all morning.I got a 5th row arena ticket for The Who at RAH like that. You never know.Maybe,just maybe a few tickets become available to a few lucky people. smoking smiley>grinning smiley<smoking smiley

For a while there was no ticket selection available, then it went back to what you describe sometime yesterday. Yes, one 'could' get lucky with a last minute thing, but we're talking three & a half hours now to 'showtime', so er ..... is it worth bothering anymore ?????????????????

Date: December 17, 2010 10:59

In the London area I would say yes.Elsewhere probably a big NO. Wouldn't it be great to score one and in the evening get a ticket at the door for The Pretty Things.Miracles can happen. hot smiley

Date: December 17, 2010 11:02

crawdaddy
In the London area I would say yes.Elsewhere probably a big NO. Wouldn't it be great to score one and in the evening get a ticket at the door for The Pretty Things.Miracles can happen. hot smiley

OK let me put it another way ... I CAN'T BE SHAGGED ANYMORE !!!! Cheers.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 17, 2010 13:06

crawdaddy
Why do prats like andy js bother to post when they are so rude about it.confused smiley I have read that people are so rude on the internet on sites like this and luckily I don't see it very often on here,but on other sites it is all over the place.Why do people who visit a fans site be so disrespectful about anything and everything.It realy beats me.There has got to be something wrong inside their head.Anyway............up yours andy js angry smiley and Good on Yer Macca for supporting The 100 Club >grinning smiley<

Because I @#$%& hate the c**t. Simple as that

Macca supposedly makes 50k a minute, so by reckogning he could just write them a cheque for 150k and miss it like he misses one leg

But no, the media coverage he'll get for doing his cabaret set will be worth a zillion times more to him

He doesnt give two @#$%& about the 100 Club and you know it. Its just a lame PR exercise

Chimp faced twat.

Date: December 17, 2010 13:15

andy js
crawdaddy

Macca supposedly makes 50k a minute, so by reckogning he could just write them a cheque for 150k and miss it like he misses one leg

But no, the media coverage he'll get for doing his cabaret set will be worth a zillion times more to him

He doesnt give two @#$%& about the 100 Club and you know it. Its just a lame PR exercise

Chimp faced twat.

OK, now why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel ........... winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: December 17, 2010 13:19

If I would have been close I would just drop by and see if there are sales on the spot. It might be like the Theatre concerts of the Stones in 2003 where they had some tickets on the day.

Date: December 17, 2010 17:40

Early review don't tell us much...........................................Sir Paul McCartney turned back the clock today, returning to the days of playing cramped, sweaty bars with a lunchtime show at London's famed 100 Club.

The music legend played to little more than 300 people in the heaving basement venue - renowned as a hotbed for punk in the 1970s.

It was Sir Paul's tiniest club show since he played Liverpool's Cavern in 1999. The lunchtime show was designed partly as a warm-up for a pair of Christmas shows, as well as to show his support for the venue which could close because of a huge rent rise.

The show was also a return to his early days as a musician, learning his craft with The Beatles with endless hours of performing in bars in Hamburg and Liverpool before landing a record deal.

After walking to the stage with his band performing an a cappella Hey Jude, Sir Paul asked fans: "Who wants to save the 100 Club?".

But the lunchtime start seemed to be a slight shock to the system. "It's too early for this," he joked.

The star opened the show with Matchbox, then launched into Beatles hit Magical Mystery Tour for the cheering standing-room-only crowd who had paid £60 each for tickets.

Further tunes from his extensive half century back catalogue followed with Jet, Drive My Car and All My Loving

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: December 17, 2010 18:03

Setlist:

1. Matchbox
2. Magical Mystery Tour
3. Jet
4. Drive My Car
5. All My Loving
6. One After 909
7. Hi Ho Silver
8. Let Me Roll It
9. The Long And Winding Road
10. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
11. Maybe I'm Amazed
12. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying
13. Blackbird
14. Calico Skies
15. I'm Looking Through You
16. And I Love Her
17. Dance Tonight
18. Eleanor Rigby
19. Hitch Hike
20. Band on the Run
21. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
22. Let It Be
23. Hey Jude

Encore
24. Yesterday
25. Get Back
26. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band / The End

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: December 17, 2010 18:09

Thanks Mr Jimmy.Very nice set list. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: December 17, 2010 18:15

andy js
Chimp faced twat.

What's Angus Young got to do with this thread?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 17, 2010 18:49

This confirms what I thought I heard on the radio - that Ronnie was in the audience:

[www.nme.com]

Paul McCartney plays London 100 Club show for 300 fans

Ex-Beatle urges the crowd to help save 'really cool' venue

Paul McCartney played a lunchtime gig at London's 100 Club today (December 17), treating the crowd to some of the biggest hits of his career.

The show was the smallest the former Beatle had played since he performed at the Cavern Club in his native Liverpool in 1999. The London venue has a capacity of 300 – with The Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood among the audience members for the show.

Billed on tickets as A Packed Lunch At The 100 Club, McCartney played a 28-song set, kicking off just after 1pm (GMT). He greeted the crowd with a casual "Alright?", joking that his slightly late arrival was due to the traffic.

After he said that he thought the 100 Club, which is under threat of closure, needed to be saved, a shout of, "Why don't you buy it?" came from the crowd. "You buy it, I'll rent it!" the Liverpool legend quipped back.

With a plea for "No heckling, now!", he and his band launched into 'Matchbox', a Carl Perkins song that the Fab Four used to cover back in 1961.

He also played Big Joe Turner's 1953 hit 'Honey Hush', 'Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying' (made famous by Ray Charles) and Marvin Gaye's 'Hitch Hike'. He also played 'One After 909', a song that appears on the final Beatles album 'Let It Be' but is also one of the earliest John Lennon/McCartney compositions, dating back to 1957.

A mid-set spell at the piano featured his solo favourite 'Maybe I'm Amazed' and 'Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five', the closing track on the recently-reissued 'Band On The Run' album.

McCartney was clearly relishing the special occasion, and was in playful form throughout. "We used to have to sign autographs on ciggy packets or bus tickets," he said before 'And I Love Her', "and now there's a chap here holding up an iPad with, 'Paul: sign my iPad!' on the screen!" Just after the song finshed, another fan handed him a Christmas present: a seven-inch single of Little Richard's 'Shake A Hand'.

Later, before 'Dance Tonight', he played a jaunty song called 'Petruska' on ukelele in a mock-Russian accent, laughing that a review of a previous show in which he played it had described it as "an ancient Russian folk song".

Following on from perennial main set closer 'Hey Jude' he returned for an encore that began with 'Yesterday', once more urging the crowd to help save the 100 Club. "It's a really cool place," he said, "and many of my heroes have played on this stage. This has been a blast, let's do it again sometime!"

The band then rejoined him for a medley of 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band (Reprise)' and 'The End'.

He's now set to play two shows this weekend, at the HMV Hammersmith Apollo in London tomorrow and the O2 Academy Liverpool on Monday.

Paul McCartney played:

'Matchbox'
'Magical Mystery Tour'
'Jet'
'Drive My Car'
'All My Loving'
'One After 909'
'Honey Hush'
'Let Me Roll It'
'The Long And Winding Road'
'Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five'
'Maybe I'm Amazed'
'Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying'
'Blackbird'
'Calico Skies'
'I'm Looking Through You'
'And I Love Her'
'Petruska'
'Dance Tonight'
'Eleanor Rigby'
'Hitch Hike'
'Band On The Run'
'Ob-La Di, Ob-La Da'
'Let It Be'
'Hey Jude'
'Yesterday'
'Get Back'
'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band (Reprise)'/The End'

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 17, 2010 18:57

Great set list. Would have loved to hear him do Matchbox.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 17, 2010 19:01

Thanks for posting that review Green Lady.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 17, 2010 19:09

andy js
crawdaddy

Chimp faced twat.

I never "got" his music. find it bland and boring..

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: December 17, 2010 19:23

1985 and Don't let the su n catch you crying...Two songs I love very much.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2010 19:29

Huge Beatles fan, but not really a Macca solo fan. With that said, I would have LOVED to have been at this show!

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 17, 2010 19:41

This show must have been great. You have to hand it to Macca....even for a little club date (in the afternoon no less!) he does a 26-song/2 hour set.We'll be lucky to get an 18-song set next tour. I wish the Stones would do more of these kind of semi-spontaneous things.

On another note, it looks like Ronnie is now a Macca groupie. He goes from never having seen him perform before, to seeing him twice in a week! He'll probably be at the London theater show Saturday also. Maybe Mick will be there as well?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-17 21:29 by TornAndFried.

Date: December 17, 2010 21:23

Having just seen a clip on BBC of today's gig, it appears quite a few genuine fans did manage to somehow buy tickets.......judging by the number of cameras and cameraphones held high. Nice to see Stephen Dale Petit being interviewed outside afterwards. If you can, tune in to BBC1 on Monday 20th December at 7.30pm for 'Inside Out London' which is running an article on the saving of the 100 Club.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: December 17, 2010 21:44

Looks like it was a great, great show. Setlist to die for, a few covers and choice cuts from his entire career. Really can't wait for tomorrow night at Hammersmith Apollo!!

Agree with ManOfWealthAndTaste about the genuine fans at the gig, there were plenty of cameraphones etc on the news footage, and on McCartneys website forum there were a lot of genuine hardcore fans that managed to get tickets to the 100 club, which is great to hear. Man, I would have loved to be at the show!!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home