Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
very cool video on the Writing and rehearsing of Mixed emotions Montserrat 1989
Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: November 4, 2012 02:28

Re: very cool video on the Writing and rehearsing of Mixed emotions Montserrat 1989
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: November 4, 2012 02:32

Love it! Isn't that from 25x5? That VHS and Hot Rocks was my introduction to the Stones!

Re: very cool video on the Writing and rehearsing of Mixed emotions Montserrat 1989
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 4, 2012 03:33

I think I remember seeing this on VH1 or MTV way back when.

Posted by: johnnyguitar ()
Date: November 4, 2012 03:41

Unfortunately the "candid" songwriting footage was staged for the cameras. It was produced by Lorne Michaels, of Saturday Night Live fame. It is from the documentary "25x5". In the bigger picture, it was part of the marketing for the 1989 comeback tour. They were keen to show that Mick and keith had healed World War III. Hence Jagger saying for the cameras "Yes! Put an A Minor chord in there!" instead of just doing it.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: November 4, 2012 04:33

Interesting about Lorne Michaels being involved in the production of 25x5. It always struck as being "The Rolling Stones for Dummies". I still have my VHS copy after watching it exactly once.

The Jagger/Richards songwriting interaction seen really does look staged...but I confess I bought into it in 1989.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 4, 2012 04:46

Crappy disappointing song!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 4, 2012 04:52

MileHigh

Understood...they will do better next time and next time and even the next time. Stay tuned

Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: November 4, 2012 05:06

do you think since then, they ever right songs that way, just like tossing chords around like that?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 4, 2012 05:08

The last Rolling Stones single I recognized immediately upon hearing Charlie's drums and Bill's bass.

Date: November 4, 2012 05:09

punkfloyd
Interesting about Lorne Michaels being involved in the production of 25x5. It always struck as being "The Rolling Stones for Dummies". I still have my VHS copy after watching it exactly once.

The Jagger/Richards songwriting interaction seen really does look staged...but I confess I bought into it in 1989.

Agreed punkfloyd! I really like 25x5, but yes you are right it is a simplified version of their story. I too believed the songwriting footage when I first saw it, but with hindsight realised how staged it was. Interesting to see Jagger vocalise and 'direct' the staged lines. He is a smart man, is our Jagger. He takes much criticism for his showbiz tactics, but I guess they would have sunk decades ago without him pushing them along like this. And yes, VERY interesting to note Lorne Michaels was the Executive Producer of "25x5". Calculated product, but not necessarily a bad little film. And it did a great job bumping the 1989 tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-04 05:09 by johnnyguitar.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 4, 2012 06:21

last time Charlie styled his hair was during that era...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 4, 2012 06:48

yeah - today - knowing what we know- this seems really lame

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: November 4, 2012 06:59

Why was Mick's Demotions a number 5 hit and Almost Hear You Sigh only made it as high as number 50 (U.S.)?! Listeners of 1989 got it completely backward.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: November 4, 2012 09:19

Jagger's a great stage performer but he's a crappy actor.

Date: November 4, 2012 11:41

Of course it is not entirely real, but looking at it today I don't find it that outrageously staged at all. Like there was still a few grains of actual truth present. maybe they had just finalized the chord structure and said "Quick, let's do it for the cameras".
So great to hear Bill's bass. DJ is so different.
Beautiful harmonies by Bernard and Keith. I've always loved the harmonies in the chorus of this song.
Plus this song has one of my very favorite Charlie crashes ever. It introduces the last repeat of the BU vocals doing "You're not the only one". In this video it is at 4.03

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 4, 2012 11:50

"We need another chord in there..."

OK.

Anyway... at the intro you can sing "Once upon a time I was your little Rooster...", also "I had a dream last night I was piloting a plane.." and it fits.

They've been writing the same song for 23 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-04 11:51 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: November 4, 2012 11:56

Mick's demotions.

Like Keith as musical director.

Date: November 4, 2012 12:01

Palace Revolution 2000
Of course it is not entirely real, but looking at it today I don't find it that outrageously staged at all. Like there was still a few grains of actual truth present. maybe they had just finalized the chord structure and said "Quick, let's do it for the cameras".
So great to hear Bill's bass. DJ is so different.
Beautiful harmonies by Bernard and Keith. I've always loved the harmonies in the chorus of this song.
Plus this song has one of my very favorite Charlie crashes ever. It introduces the last repeat of the BU vocals doing "You're not the only one". In this video it is at 4.03

I agree with you regarding the harmonies Palace Revolution. Those harmonies are very sweet.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 4, 2012 12:02

Palace Revolution 2000

Totally agree. As documentary filmmaker myself I can say that there is no such thing as one hundred percent "real" captured on film. All that goes into the camera lens - to some degree is staged.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 4, 2012 16:21

25x5 IS A GOOD FILM. Why does everyone on this board seem to find negativity in evertything that these guys do?? Its tiresome, As Palace and Proudmary write above you have yo stage some for the camera no matter what when making a film. The only thiung incorrect is the title. Should be 25X8 to include Brian, Mick T and IanStewart. I loved the film when it came out and wish it would get a dvd release.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 4, 2012 16:27

punkfloyd
I still have my VHS copy after watching it exactly once.

I wore mine off... And I still think it was a fine doc.

punkfloyd

So did I. I was young and naive...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 4, 2012 16:38

MileHigh

Whats the matter with it? tell us.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: November 4, 2012 17:03

I´ts real. Why should they have to act this? If the camera has been rolling for hours in the studio don´t you think they should have a material for a few minutes?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 4, 2012 18:49

punkfloyd

Well, I think every Stones biography trying to capture the story in one film or book is basically "for Dummies", since none of them is directed to the hardcore fans who know the story already by heart.

But there was something really high-class, never seen material in 25x5, which I think made it very importnat release at the time, such as "You Can't Always Get What You Want" footage from ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS and the truck promo for 1975 American Tour 1975. I haven't seen CROSS FIRE HURRICANE yet but I suspect it has anything such striking new footage to offer. And actually 25x5 had also 'new' footage of the band - the topic of this thread - that CROSSFIRE HURRICANE actually didn't have in the end (despite the rumours).

But yeah, basically every career-covering documment is a thing to watch once. There usullly is just some short clipses of footage (and being so short just makes one angry), and once you have watched it all through, you already know the story and what is has to offer. But I remember watching that ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS number again and again from my VHS tape of 25x5, and thinking it was about the coolest piece I ever seen (by then)...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-04 18:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 4, 2012 19:03

More Hot Rocks
MileHigh

Just one of this stupid, unmatured comments - crappy this, crappy that...

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 4, 2012 19:20

I used to love this film and watched it numerous times back in the day. And yes it had the previously unseen footage from R&R circus in it as well as the latest footage. Great film, but maybe dated now. Hence the reason for Crossfire Hurricane.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 4, 2012 19:34

sjs12
I used to love this film and watched it numerous times back in the day. And yes it had the previously unseen footage from R&R circus in it as well as the latest footage. Great film, but maybe dated now. Hence the reason for Crossfire Hurricane.

Very ironic comment as 25x5 ends in 1989 but Crossfire Hurricaine ends in 1982.
What are the odds that they make a sequel to CH?

Anyways, I adored 25x5 when it came out, and I bought into it too.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 4, 2012 20:42

More Hot Rocks
MileHigh

Mixed Emotions is a quite monotonic song. It's just moves along like a metronone. I did not make that comment gratituously just to be negative. The chorus is not too bad and there are some nice notes there, but it is sandwiched between monotonic verses and there is simply no swing there at all.

Mixed Emotions and Don't Stop are two songs by the Stones that are unfortunately quite forgettable. Don't Stop suffers from a lame monotonic chorus.

Both songs sound pretty good on first listen, but are pretty forgettable by the 10th listen. If you could somhow put the verses from Don't Stop together with the chorus from Mixed Emotions you might have a decent song!

You will find that lots of the people that love the Stones will be quite critical of some of the stuff that they do. The Stones are only human after all and simply cannot put out never ending stuff comparable to their best material. Again, it's not gratituous criticism, it's a kind of "tough love" kind of criticism. By the same token, I acknowledge that they are old, and I don't really care, they don't have to prove anything to me. The Stones from 1968 to 1972 epresent a high water mark that may never be surpassed by any rock group.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: November 4, 2012 21:11

a monotonic metronome
always puts me in the zone.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 4, 2012 21:25

jamesfdouglas
sjs12

Very ironic comment as 25x5 ends in 1989 but Crossfire Hurricaine ends in 1982.
What are the odds that they make a sequel to CH?

Anyways, I adored 25x5 when it came out, and I bought into it too.

I meant the style of the film is dated.

The other video I had was of their promo videos for the singles with a strange commentary by bill and Mick called video rewind.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home