Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What does a potential "last" tour mean to you, in your gut!
Posted by: Des ()
Date: September 25, 2012 18:46

I have never had the time and cash to ring up 100 Stones shows over my lifetime. But since the opening night of the 72 tour the Stones have been that every 5 year kicker in the head, heart, and what the hell....groin (lol) to truly enjoy the passion of a difinitive rock show. Having being raised around live music of all types this is what has turned my crank the most, Keith has woven his guitar into my fabric. I am faithfull to my loves and do multiple shows through the years and I have lived long enough to see performers entire careers start and fizzle with their age (including my folks, still tapping their toes though), and it is a sad thing to watch.

So there are those performers I can no longer see, never see my mom sing and dance (plays and musicals), or dad on percussion (orchestra, swing, concert, dance, marching, beatnik coffee houses). Interesting side bit....my dad hated rock so much he would not teach me rock drumming....so he asked Pete Best to write me out some drum sheet music....do you think I can find that stuff now, crap????

Now as Stones fans you have to admit we are in a new place in time. The old running bit about a last tour has hit the wall. We are being teased with if the wall is ahead or behind us, but we now see it as real. So where does this hit you.

At the end of each show I make a silent jesture of thanks (I do this for no other), a wave of acknlogemnent as if my personal freinds. I remiss about the song I wanted to hear and rejoice the one I got to hear. I have carried my self over the dead times with the thought if I could just hear one more Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler....on and on.

So hear we bounce, like a tennis ball after hitting the net, which way does it fall, will my fix be satisfied or have I been unknowingly on sad withdrawls for the last few years.

I need my fix guys, if just that one more time, please Gimme Shelter (it will be played at my funeral and I hope I'm there to enjoy it). Any more testimonials smiling smiley

Re: What does a potential "last" tour mean to you, in your gut!
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: September 25, 2012 19:58

end of an era

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: September 25, 2012 20:20

It definately is not the same. I can remember in '03 how excited I was to see them( 8x total). The Bigger Bang tour I was not as excited. And to be honest now that is has been 5 years I'm not that interested in another tour. I would like to bring my kids but I might only see one show. I expect to see or hear the same setlist that was played on the last tour. There was a time where I would travel anywhere to see them but not now.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 25, 2012 20:26

been a fan since 1973.since my dad said, when he saw Jagger with painted lips and said..what a guy... or a woman. Since then the band got me hooked.
saw the the first time live in 1976 in the Hague, with my brother.
After that, not so many times, only 25 times.
Last time at the 02 in 2007, the first gig.

I remember, when the band played the arena in amsterdam 5 times. I was standing with a friend at the first row. all five gigs. after the 3d show, keff gave us the eye, like i remember you guys. we took some pix. still have them. could not sleep allnight. my wife said, whats wrong ... i said Keef looked me in the eye

this has happened many times, since than.

My God, hope to see them one more time and i am sure i will cry.

THIS BAND HAS BEEN THERE SINCE I WAS 13, NOW I AM 52.

thanks for the music to my life.

jeroen

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 25, 2012 20:30

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 25, 2012 20:52

In the immortal words of Roberto Duran "No mas"

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: September 25, 2012 20:53

life goes on...

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 25, 2012 21:19

every tour could be the last tour, every day could be the last day - keep rolling

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 25, 2012 21:28

Every tour since 1963 has been the "last" tour... for someone.

It is what it is.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 25, 2012 21:46

One day we will have already said Goodbye - but I hope it's not yet.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: September 25, 2012 22:55

I have a feeling that we WILL NOT see them again performing live. Oh, there will be the various releases, various movies, various stuff.....but live on stage again? I highly doubt it.

It's been the soundtrack to my life; I'll always have memories and the music. Grateful for that.

smiling smiley

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 25, 2012 23:10

Cocaine Eyes
I have a feeling that we WILL NOT see them again performing live. Oh, there will be the various releases, various movies, various stuff.....but live on stage again? I highly doubt it.

It's been the soundtrack to my life; I'll always have memories and the music. Grateful for that.

smiling smiley
thumbs up

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 25, 2012 23:14

This comes to mind

but it didn't work out I guess

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 26, 2012 06:38

Many memories. I was watching some of the movies on Palladia last Saturday and the haor stood up on the back of my neck and I just thought damn I want to see these guys once more. The band came to the United States in 1964 annd I was born in October of 1964 so Andrew Oldham's statement on the back of that first U.S. album "The Rolling Stones are more then just a group they are a way of life" has always been true for me. Ever since I can remember I have known of the Rolling Stones my sister was a big fan and she is five years older than me so i've always been aware of them and it's hard to imagine a world without them. Here's to hoping they get out once more and if they don't I have a lot of memories and we'll always have the music.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 26, 2012 08:16

.... train not to have to take a slash during the show ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 26, 2012 09:02

since I find it harder and harder running on rock-concerts I say: Great!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 26, 2012 09:05

My history with The Stones only goes back to 1980, I was 17. But I feel the same as the rest of you guys, a lot of mixed emotions (pun intended). But really, life does go on as things and times do change. After all one day we will be at the end too. Doesn't mean we can't continue rocking though. I'm stubborn, ha-ha.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: September 26, 2012 09:51

Cocaine Eyes

smiling smiley

You don't even believe that the 2 semi-confirmed dates in Nov will happen?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 26, 2012 13:06

looks like it will be on in december
jeroen

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 26, 2012 13:30

I made my peace with Licks...anything after that is just whatever it is...and if they do something small in 2013 like they did in 78 then this will be great too.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: September 26, 2012 14:00

Des
I have never had the time and cash to ring up 100 Stones shows over my lifetime. But since the opening night of the 72 tour the Stones have been that every 5 year kicker in the head, heart, and what the hell....groin (lol) to truly enjoy the passion of a difinitive rock show. Having being raised around live music of all types this is what has turned my crank the most, Keith has woven his guitar into my fabric. I am faithfull to my loves and do multiple shows through the years and I have lived long enough to see performers entire careers start and fizzle with their age (including my folks, still tapping their toes though), and it is a sad thing to watch.

So there are those performers I can no longer see, never see my mom sing and dance (plays and musicals), or dad on percussion (orchestra, swing, concert, dance, marching, beatnik coffee houses). Interesting side bit....my dad hated rock so much he would not teach me rock drumming....so he asked Pete Best to write me out some drum sheet music....do you think I can find that stuff now, crap????

Now as Stones fans you have to admit we are in a new place in time. The old running bit about a last tour has hit the wall. We are being teased with if the wall is ahead or behind us, but we now see it as real. So where does this hit you.

At the end of each show I make a silent jesture of thanks (I do this for no other), a wave of acknlogemnent as if my personal freinds. I remiss about the song I wanted to hear and rejoice the one I got to hear. I have carried my self over the dead times with the thought if I could just hear one more Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler....on and on.

So hear we bounce, like a tennis ball after hitting the net, which way does it fall, will my fix be satisfied or have I been unknowingly on sad withdrawls for the last few years.

I need my fix guys, if just that one more time, please Gimme Shelter (it will be played at my funeral and I hope I'm there to enjoy it). Any more testimonials smiling smiley

It means sooooo many things. As a 52 year old who's loved the Stones since I first heard satisfaction at age 5 and thrilled to every tour since 1978, it means - for one thing - I may have to finally admit that my youth is over. The Stones have helped me stay about 18 in my head for decades. It means we're all getting old and we are not immortal. It is sad, but they've left a treasure-laden legacy of music which will make me "Happy" for the rest of my life. The golden age of rock has been over for a while, but this makes us truly have to admit it. On a more positive note, I'm extremely thankful to have lived through "The Stones Age." I got to experience The Greatest Rock and Roll Band In The World.

Date: September 26, 2012 14:03

KeefintheNight82
Cocaine Eyes

smiling smiley

I could be waaaay off base here - but, NO I'm now thinking/feeling that the supposed November shows WILL NOT happen.

smoking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 26, 2012 14:11

Well I follow them since '67.......45 years of happiness so I don't mind if they retire....and I don't think they will do a world tour anymore

Thanks guy's ............

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 26, 2012 15:43

Cocaine Eyes
KeefintheNight82
Cocaine Eyes

smiling smiley

I could be waaaay off base here - but, NO I'm now thinking/feeling that the supposed November shows WILL NOT happen.

smoking smiley

One day I'm a little more positive than the other. I hope. But when you look at the facts and how things are (not) developing now I have not much faith left. A tour will probably not happen anymore. Some shows maybe. But I think we have to face the facts that they have a fantastic history behind them and no more future.
So what my last tour means knowing that...mixed emotions. Considering their their music and their concerts I liked the seventies a lot. And Paradiso was great because it was a complete show instead of a try out like they did before in clubs. And they all liked Paradiso themselves. Was great to be there. And all the other memories? Yes they travelled with you in those 50 years...that's really something special. But new things should be welcomed at the same time. Memories are good but life goes on.

Date: September 26, 2012 15:54

Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
KeefintheNight82
Cocaine Eyes

smiling smiley

smoking smiley

One day I'm a little more positive than the other. I hope. But when you look at the facts and how things are (not) developing now I have not much faith left. A tour will probably not happen anymore. Some shows maybe. But I think we have to face the facts that they have a fantastic history behind them and no more future.
So what my last tour means knowing that...mixed emotions. Considering their their music and their concerts I liked the seventies a lot. And Paradiso was great because it was a complete show instead of a try out like they did before in clubs. And they all liked Paradiso themselves. Was great to be there. And all the other memories? Yes they travelled with you in those 50 years...that's really something special. But new things should be welcomed at the same time. Memories are good but life goes on.

I hear ya! But right now, I no longer "hope" for more tours. This band has been with me through the good times and the bad times; Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie have treated me kindly; their entourage has been kind and gracious to me. The tours have been outstanding. The rehearsal gigs have been a delight. I've seen them (all of them!) at their best and at their worst (the night Chuch Magee died for example and Keith facing his 1977 troubles in Toronto). I feel as though they've given all of us all they have to give. Let's allow them to retire and enjoy the fruits of their work.

If more comes along.....well, that'll be nice. If not, I'm satisfied.

smoking smiley

Date: September 26, 2012 17:09

Your hunch and feelings aside, Cocaine Eyes, would you care to elaborate why you don't think they will play ever again?

Date: September 26, 2012 17:40

DandelionPowderman
Your hunch and feelings aside, Cocaine Eyes, would you care to elaborate why you don't think they will play ever again?

OK. The Stones have run their course, done their time, given years and years of music/tours/recordings/surprise gigs/small gigs......they've done it all.

I always knew they wouldn't pull something like The Who. The Who have had how many "final shows" now? It starts to look silly.

Speaking of looking silly - Charlie Watts said (paraphrasing) 'We'll look silly doing this at age 70'.

I doubt the Stones want to go out in a blaze of glory. In spite of what Pete Townsend said to them, I think they'd rather retire gracefully and quietly.

They have all these movies/archive releases/photo gallery shows......lots of "nice things" to keep the fans satisfied for 50 years of music.

And also speaking of the fans - the Stones KNOW that the die-hards aren't getting any younger either. They know the economy (in the USA and Canada) is not good. They know we all have worked hard at our various careers and perhaps we want to put our money towards a nice retirement of trips and relaxing things.

Did that help explain things? I hope so. These are not 'my feelings/hunches'. These are plain, hard facts.

I do think Jagger will continue to jump around somewhere (SNL, some small & contained places). Charlie will play in his jazz bands. Ronnie will.....well, be Ronnie. And Keith will continue to contribute to works by guys like Aaron Neville, etc.

But a huge Stones show complete with T-shirts for sale, pyrotechniques, the whole shebang......nah, it's not going to happen.

Now IF I'm mistaken......you guys can rip me to pieces and take me to task. I'd be happy to take that flak.

smoking smiley

Date: September 26, 2012 17:54

Cocaine Eyes
DandelionPowderman

OK. The Stones have run their course, done their time, given years and years of music/tours/recordings/surprise gigs/small gigs......they've done it all.

I always knew they wouldn't pull something like The Who. The Who have had how many "final shows" now? It starts to look silly.

Speaking of looking silly - Charlie Watts said (paraphrasing) 'We'll look silly doing this at age 70'.

I doubt the Stones want to go out in a blaze of glory. In spite of what Pete Townsend said to them, I think they'd rather retire gracefully and quietly.

They have all these movies/archive releases/photo gallery shows......lots of "nice things" to keep the fans satisfied for 50 years of music.

And also speaking of the fans - the Stones KNOW that the die-hards aren't getting any younger either. They know the economy (in the USA and Canada) is not good. They know we all have worked hard at our various careers and perhaps we want to put our money towards a nice retirement of trips and relaxing things.

Did that help explain things? I hope so. These are not 'my feelings/hunches'. These are plain, hard facts.

I do think Jagger will continue to jump around somewhere (SNL, some small & contained places). Charlie will play in his jazz bands. Ronnie will.....well, be Ronnie. And Keith will continue to contribute to works by guys like Aaron Neville, etc.

But a huge Stones show complete with T-shirts for sale, pyrotechniques, the whole shebang......nah, it's not going to happen.

Now IF I'm mistaken......you guys can rip me to pieces and take me to task. I'd be happy to take that flak.

smoking smiley

Ha ha, no, your points are quite logical.

I would agreed with you if it wasn't for the Stones themselves were talking about shows + rehearsing and recording - Those are facts, too smiling smiley

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: September 26, 2012 17:54

This is another sign that I am growing old, just like the band! I first saw them in 1965, last saw them in 2006...I'll be 61 next month so if I never see them live again I will live on!smiling smiley Now keep putting out more archival music and DVD's!

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 26, 2012 18:40

deleted

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-26 21:05 by ROPENI.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home