Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stripped
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: November 30, 2010 19:26

Last night I was listening to 'Stripped', it really blew me away, and I came to really appreciate this album.

The guitar work is superb!... The fills, the sound

I had to listen to it twice!

What a great f&*#^$& album! S.F.M., N.F.A., & Sweet Virgina are Stunning!!

I wish this was the norm for the after tour live release! The one thing I feel is missing is an acoustic J.J.F.

Does anyone happen to remember the Stripped special that aired and the interviewer asked Mick what he was looking at on the floor, and Mick bent over the side of his chair and said he found a piece of hash and put it inside his pocket? Is it just called 'Stripped'?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Stripped
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 30, 2010 19:31

Date: November 30, 2010 19:31

Date: November 30, 2010 19:36

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 30, 2010 19:38

Posted by: diego ()
Date: November 30, 2010 19:58

Really AWSOME!!!! Both the CD and the video are among the best , if not THE best STONES ever.

I wish we could have this as an official DVD, with the great sound and everything....

I have a shit copy in a low quality DVD. Anyone knows where can i get a good quality copy?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 30, 2010 20:32

diego
Really AWSOME!!!! Both the CD and the video are among the best , if not THE best STONES ever.

I wish we could have this as an official DVD, with the great sound and everything....

I have a shit copy in a low quality DVD. Anyone knows where can i get a good quality copy?
According to 'Urbansteel' Gigasize has problems at the moment but you may get something here when they've sorted themselves out (Apparently installing new servers)...Hope that helps when they have.....EddieByword

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 30, 2010 20:35

Marshall, thanks for the dead flowers vid.really nice work of the glimmers(kudos to ronnie for some nice lead work on that reverse gibson firebird V)

Posted by: marko ()
Date: November 30, 2010 20:56

The Spider and the fly,best song on the cd.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 30, 2010 21:05

It's pretty ok...My only two complaints are the version of Tumbling Dice with Chuck on the first bit - can't listen to it, and (sorry) to re-do Love In Vain with Ronnie after the majestic version on Ya-Ya's only illustrated the profound difference in the relative power of those two versions of the band and those two players.

I thought Like A Rolling Stone was an inspired cover, and loved Spider And The Fly. Wild Horses is only good, not great.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 30, 2010 21:22

Great album musically. Everyone is really playing actually.
But the sound is not that great.. it's as thin as ice (just like Flashpoint)!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2010 21:23

71Tele
and (sorry) to re-do Love In Vain with Ronnie after the majestic version on Ya-Ya's only illustrated the profound difference in the relative power of those two versions of the band and those two players.

I slightly disagree here - of course YA-YA'S! version does belong to another reality, but I think this acoustic version has unique charm of its own. It is arranged differently, and not even try to compete with either of the original studio or live version with Taylor. I think the point of this version is nothing but Mick and Keith co-work - them playing together intimately a Robert Johnson song Keith long time ago transformed into a Stones tune. It is very rarely one can feel the Glimmer Twins co-working so tightly "these days". All the rest, for example, Ron's slide, is just icing the cake, and carefully not trying to steal attention from the real thing. This is a Mick/Keith moment. Nothing to do with Wood or Taylor.

Actually one of those rare moments when the "modern" Stones actually touches me.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 21:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: November 30, 2010 21:31

doxa, i couldnt agree more with you!
love in vain, in fact the whole stripped is magic all through!!!
don

Doxa
71Tele
and (sorry) to re-do Love In Vain with Ronnie after the majestic version on Ya-Ya's only illustrated the profound difference in the relative power of those two versions of the band and those two players.

I slightly disagree here - of course YA-YA'S! version does belong to another reality, but I think this acoustic version has unique charm of its own. It is arranged differently, and not even try to compete with either of the original studio or live version with Taylor. I think the point of this version is nothing but Mick and Keith co-work - them playing together intimately a Robert Johnson song Keith long time ago transformed into a Stones tune. It is very rarely one can feel the Glimmer Twins co-working so tightly "these days". All the rest, for example, Ron's slide, is just icing the cake, and carefully not trying to steal attention from the real thing. This is a Mick/Keith moment. Nothing to do with Wood or Taylor.

Actually one of those rare moments when the "modern" Stones actually touches me.

- Doxa

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 30, 2010 21:35

One reason why a lot of the tracks on Stripped work well upon first listen is the pure aesthetics of the recordings. The wonderful upfront clarity of those acoustic guitars, steel string buzzing and the natural, organic sound is just very pleasing to the ear.

I score Love In Vain as a good one. It's a different way to present the track. Even if you take away Ronnie's guitar---it's still a lovely recording to listen to.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2010 22:16

I need to say that as far as I am concerned, TV document of STRIPPED is absulutely the best thing The Stones have come up with since their 1989 re-union. That would be the item from 'modern times' I would take with me to an isolated island. Like someone wrote some time ago, if Scorsese could have filmed the band during this time, SHINE A LIGHT would have been a proper film in capturing the Stones in their late-day prime.

I mean, this is THE greatest captured moment of 'Vegas' Stones I've seen. A majestic version.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 22:19 by Doxa.

Date: November 30, 2010 22:34

I agree that this the most listenable post-reunion Stones album, with a nice band feel to it. I don't hate any of it. My criticisms were minor, except maybe the Chuck piano Tumbling Dice thing, which I have never been able to live with.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 30, 2010 22:45

I watched Shine a Light last night which I haven't seen since the day I bought it. One thing I noticed right off was Keith's playing on As Tears Go By, brilliant. Yet on others like Connection and Little T&A he barely bothers to strum a single chord. I'd love to see them do more acoustic style songs since he obviously has a time with the electric stuff anymore for whatever reason. And as on Stripped, how nice it is to hear just them without all the other filler musicians.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 30, 2010 22:56

71Tele
I agree that this the most listenable post-reunion Stones album, with a nice band feel to it. I don't hate any of it. My criticisms were minor, except maybe the Chuck piano Tumbling Dice thing, which I have never been able to live with.

You might be able to live with it more than you know...the "Tumblin' Dice" cut only appears on "Stripped Companion" and then later on the "Rarities" set. So, hopefully that should make you're next "Stripped" listen a little more pleasant!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 30, 2010 23:12

I found the beginning of Tumbling Dice to be hilarious but yeah, after a while it gets old and it would be great to have the whole song.

LOVE Spider And The Fly, as well as Honest I Do - just fantastic guitar playing by Keith, as well as Black Limo and All Down The Line. Street Fighting Man is nice too. Shine A Light is fantastic and so is Sweet Virginia - again, nice playing by Keith with some different things going on with what he does with it. Slipping Away is nice too.

Like A Rolling Stone is good too, one of the better tracks on the album (and they gave us the insanely tepid I'm Free and Wild Horses? Really? WHY?).

I like this Love In Vain. Yeah it pales in comparison to the Ya-Ya's one but it's still really nice, with great playing and a very relaxed feel, nice slide by Woody.

Date: November 30, 2010 23:52

Justin
71Tele

You might be able to live with it more than you know...the "Tumblin' Dice" cut only appears on "Stripped Companion" and then later on the "Rarities" set. So, hopefully that should make you're next "Stripped" listen a little more pleasant!

Thanks for reminding me. Shows you how much I listen to the post-80s albums (that would be "never"). Tumbling Dice was fresh in my mind for some reason, probably from Rarities.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: December 1, 2010 00:14

Great CD and many great songs/performances/re-records. I love the way it opens with the guitars on SFM and then gets better and better. It was a nice way to get over the (short) hump between tours back then.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 1, 2010 01:56

Doxa great posts, and I agree totally. Stripped reinvigerated my outlook towards the band. It also helped them appreciated their music in a different and passionate way. Why the DVD has never been released I never will understand...

Date: December 1, 2010 03:15

Skipstone I think the reason The Stones chose 'Wild Horses', was mainly Keith.

I had heard/read an interview where Keith talks about how Badly he wanted to re-record it all because of one single note.

Since Sticky came out till Stripped, Keith said he always regretted not adding that one note to 'W.H.' ...and finally he did. Good version.

Also 'G.S.' in 94' is most likely my favorite version. Great tour. Great Album!

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: December 1, 2010 05:03

Ya, can anyone suggest where/how to buy a good copy of the DVD?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 1, 2010 16:27

I prefer Mick's gentler, slightly less mannered vocal on the "Stripped" Wild Horses to the original.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 1, 2010 16:30

Nice "Memory Motel" on Stripped Companion - no Dave Matthews.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-01 17:35 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 1, 2010 17:10

i like the Stripped Horses better too - open g tuning, only one solo, and every strand of it shines

>> can anyone suggest where/how to buy a good copy of the DVD? <<

if you ask in the hot stuff forum, i'm sure someone can help you with a trade or download

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 1, 2010 17:25

Nobody mentioned the Stripped version of Let it bleed, but hey, that is a party song if there ever was one!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: December 1, 2010 18:04

Shows what they can do if they rehearse properly.

Superb CD and doc....

Date: December 1, 2010 20:23

'Stripped Companion'

Honest I Do
Let's Spend The Night Together
No Expectations
Beast Of Burden
Memory Motel
Let It Bleed
Tumbling Dice - Live
Gimmie Shelter - Live
Live with Me - Live
Black Limousine - Live
All Down The Line - Live
Dead Flowers - Live
Shine A Light - Live
Sweet Virgina - Live
Rip This Joint - Live
The Storm - B-Side
So Young - B-Side
Jump On Top Of Me - B-Side
I'm Gonna Drive - B-Side
Miss You - Live
Honky Tonk Women - Live

Stripped Companion is one of my favorites! The Stones got everything right w/ Stripped. The Music & sound, song selection, artwork, great tour... Nothing like the 89/90 tours. This will always be special for me!

Also on my top favorites of live boots has to be the 2 nights at the Paradiso in '95 ..I only have the audience recordings, but have always thought there has to be a good soundboard somewhere considering how big the Paradiso gigs were hyped.

Great Sound anyway, and they played great!

Highlights - Live 'The Spider & The Fly', 'Rip This Joint', AND first live performance of 'Jump On Top Of Me'! ..And I believe this was the first time Bill Wyman SAW the Stones on stage minus him playing.

Where's the deluxe reissue of 'Stripped' Original Album plus Bonus tracks, and with as much rehearsals that were recorded at Toshiba that could easily fill a second disc. Throw in the DVD And you have one hell of a Stones recording!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-01 20:24 by Marhsall.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home