Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Tonight at the Iridium... Keith
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 3, 2012 06:33

note from my pal, another guitar player - "Special night..I watched Keith look on proudly as his pal Charlie played in his Boogie Woogie band.Very touching..2 old friends at The Irid…"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-03 06:41 by hbwriter.

Re: Tonight at the Iridium... Keith
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 3, 2012 07:15

Keith must REALLY want to tour.

Date: July 3, 2012 07:44

to me the keith/charlie bond, in a sense, is the most sacred in the band - seems like just tons of trust and respect there with no egos involved - just music

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2012 08:19

We've seen photos of Mick hanging out with Charlie, and we know Mick and Bill have hung out. And of course Bill and Charlie hang out, still, and Mick and Keith used to hang out. But other than professionally, it didn't seem that Charlie and Keith hung out much. But yeah, some kind of musical bond is there.

Date: July 3, 2012 08:31

just an opinion of course, gleaned from reading the trillions of interviews and articles we all have over the years -

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 3, 2012 09:16

It always seemed to me that Keith deep down knows he can't pull anything over Charlie. He can diss Mick, he can bust Ronnie's balls but you don't give Charlie crap.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 3, 2012 10:03

Justin
It always seemed to me that Keith deep down knows he can't pull anything over Charlie. He can diss Mick, he can bust Ronnie's balls but you don't give Charlie crap.

'Specially with that mean left hook Charlie's got, as Mick found out in Amsterdam '89.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 3, 2012 10:06

hbwriter
to me the keith/charlie bond, in a sense, is the most sacred in the band - seems like just tons of trust and respect there with no egos involved - just music

I agree. And I think it is more than just music there. I remember Philip Norman claiming his book that the reason why Charlie finally joined in permanently, was that he 'clicked' with Keith so well. A similar dry sense of humour or something, and neither being too extrovert. We have to remember that Keith was a really shy boy at the time - especially compared to naturally born stars like Brian and Mick - and I think Charlie was one of the first people who saw the potentiality Keith has, and he has respected him ever since. And the respect is surely mutual. They might not socialize too much these days, but that's suits to them and to their English mentality - when they do it, it is that funnier.

It is heart warming to listen Charlie describing Keith's way to work in STONES IN EXILE, making analogies to jazz musicians. And that is that high compliment I think one can get from Charlie Watts. Bll Wyman might cpmplain of Keith's junkie time and all that, but Charlie recognize there somethng that surpasses all those kind of mortal issues - the love for music and to right 'feel' no matter how much it takes and by anything... Those intuitions are beyond time and space.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 3, 2012 10:51

Very nice. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 3, 2012 10:59

What happened in Amsterdam in 1989?

Date: July 3, 2012 11:53

marquess
What happened in Amsterdam in 1989?

In short, from Wikipedia:
A famous anecdote relates that during the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts' hotel room in the middle of the night asking "Where's my drummer?". Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my @#$%& singer!"

-------------------

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: July 3, 2012 14:21

Probably because of who Charlie is as a person. Who wouldn't respect Charlie Watts? Specially when his entire career has served your dongs and your art with the best taste inconditionably? Who has been the most loyal Stone? Charlie might be the Stones.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 3, 2012 14:26

Justin

Not true. Keith has given the entire band crap since day one. Charlie keeps his mouth shut. At least to the media. Remember the famous quote of him just waiting around for Mick and Keith. That's given Charlie crap right there. Keith doesn't discriminate.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 3, 2012 14:32

Keith was a junkie for a decade....that's a pretty big diss on all his bandmates right there.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 3, 2012 14:34

Rip This
Keith was a junkie for a decade....that's a pretty big diss on all his bandmates right there.

You got that right.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 3, 2012 14:38

hbwriter
note from my pal, another guitar player - "Special night..I watched Keith look on proudly as his pal Charlie played in his Boogie Woogie band.Very touching..2 old friends at The Irid…"

That's great! Keith loves swing too ... should be their next project,
and take a note from The Duke.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 3, 2012 16:02

Charlie is the heart and soul of the stones

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: July 3, 2012 16:07

It is a bit of an insult not to go see a friend's band.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 3, 2012 16:20

hanky, anyone?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 3, 2012 16:33

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 3, 2012 16:44

makes me wanna live in NYC...so many good shows there recently, I presume ALL the time!

Date: July 3, 2012 16:57

stonesrule
Keith must REALLY want to tour.

How do you come to that? It's Keith enjoying some music that involves Charlie Watts. How does that equate Keith wanting to tour?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 3, 2012 16:57

treaclefingers
makes me wanna live in NYC...so many good shows there recently, I presume ALL the time!

austin, my friend. AUSTIN.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: July 3, 2012 17:03

Keith was at Charlie's supper club gigs in NYC a few years back, we sent him a JD on the rocks, he toasted us from his VIP seat

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 3, 2012 17:20

StonesTod
treaclefingers

austin, my friend. AUSTIN.

hmmm...and i thought they cancelled that show:

[austincitylimits.com]

Date: July 3, 2012 18:11

GOO
Keith was at Charlie's supper club gigs in NYC a few years back, we sent him a JD on the rocks, he toasted us from his VIP seat

Cool. I like those stories.

-------------------

Date: July 3, 2012 19:27

"Not true. Keith has given the entire band crap since day one."

Not true - that's just a sour lie. He did, however, provide the band with the songs to make em last a lifetime and a sense of timing that makes those simple-sounding riffs so amazing, even if that extends to uh a concert sense of timing that might be a few hours out of joint...

Date: July 3, 2012 19:32

Doxa
hbwriter

I agree. And I think it is more than just music there. I remember Philip Norman claiming his book that the reason why Charlie finally joined in permanently, was that he 'clicked' with Keith so well. A similar dry sense of humour or something, and neither being too extrovert. We have to remember that Keith was a really shy boy at the time - especially compared to naturally born stars like Brian and Mick - and I think Charlie was one of the first people who saw the potentiality Keith has, and he has respected him ever since. And the respect is surely mutual. They might not socialize too much these days, but that's suits to them and to their English mentality - when they do it, it is that funnier.

It is heart warming to listen Charlie describing Keith's way to work in STONES IN EXILE, making analogies to jazz musicians. And that is that high compliment I think one can get from Charlie Watts. Bll Wyman might cpmplain of Keith's junkie time and all that, but Charlie recognize there somethng that surpasses all those kind of mortal issues - the love for music and to right 'feel' no matter how much it takes and by anything... Those intuitions are beyond time and space.

- Doxa

I think i really noticed it in L&G - the way those two lock in during YCAGWYW, Love in Vain and several others - no rock star poses - just two hard working men in synch with each other and the business of what they are doing - radar signals bouncing around, developed over then-10 years worth of clubs, theaters and arenas - two very serious men pushing each other toward one goal

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 3, 2012 19:49

Date: July 3, 2012 20:19

'cuse all my rowdy friends have settled down....

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home