Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The Stones' best funk numbers
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 19, 2010 15:33

DandelionPowderman
Just one thing, though. The Stones are known for keeping the authenticity in what they're doing, to be true to their roots. That goes for blues, r & b, funk, soul as well as even reggae.

If you personally don't like that - fine, it's your problem smiling smiley

Imo, Level 42 has nothing to do with the authenticity of this kind of music. It was white boy funk in the 80s. As you know well, the Stones are something entirely different. And one main reason is that they never bothered to be flashy or technical virtuoses. It's the roll that matters.

Couldn't agree more. Level 42 sums up the worst of the 80s for me - white soul boys desperately trying to sound black and failing miserably.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 19, 2010 15:35

DandelionPowderman
Just one thing, though. The Stones are known for keeping the authenticity in what they're doing, to be true to their roots. That goes for blues, r & b, funk, soul as well as even reggae.

If you personally don't like that - fine, it's your problem smiling smiley

Imo, Level 42 has nothing to do with the authenticity of this kind of music. It was white boy funk in the 80s. As you know well, the Stones are something entirely different. And one main reason is that they never bothered to be flashy or technical virtuoses. It's the roll that matters.

I'am happy with the Stones,untill'76. when they where Rockers imo
I don't hear funk or reggae roots.(Would- be maybe winking smiley )

The BBros and Level '42 played funk in the 7-tees already btw.(pre fusion)

I agree music doesn't have to be flashy , etc but the moment people hear a fast funky tempo or some #9 or aug chords,....oeps..it's funk off .
I wish the Stones had picked up some fusion..well.. Taylor deserted.
And the rest cannot.
Your opinion feels rather rosted to me.

Not ment to be harsh.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 19, 2010 15:36

I love funk music and sure as hell the Stones can play some mean funk!

When I say "funk" I mean James Brown, Sly & Family Stone, The Meters, all the way up to Parliament, Nile Rodgers, Prince, etc. etc. etc.

All the songs already mentioned are great, plus some of the best funky stuff by the stones (but also the worst) was during Preston's solo spot back in 75! And lets not forget the majestic jam during Heartbreaker in 73, and so on. Another gem was Keith and Ronnie jamming on monkey man's riff that I have on some boot, but I acn't rememeber which one-

Of the recent stuff, Rain is a great trak, and even Jugular was damn good - save for JAggers singing. As for solo works, Jagger's stuff with Rodgers was somehow dissapointing. Keith Bootsy Collins and Maceo made Big Enough BIG!

C

Date: November 19, 2010 15:56

Yeah, Big Enough. That's a good one, liddas!

Amsterdamned: Miles Davis' electric era is by many defined as the start of the fusion-style. I don't think Level 42 belongs in there. A fusion of pop, very light 80s jazz and funk maybe. They might fit in to the velvet sound of the 80s, but that's really not my cup of tea...

Sure the Stones picked up elements of fusion, especially Taylor. But these were only hints, like in Time Waits For No one and I'm Free (live). There are also elements of fusion in the long ending of How Could I Stop, imo.

I don't mean to be harsh either, Amsterdamned. But remember that lots of people in the Stones' fanbase are digging these funky songs, and many of them went high on the charts as well (Miss You to # 1 - and it's funky, no doubt about it). When you say that the Stones can't play funk at all, it may seem a bit arrogant, that's all.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 19, 2010 16:19

<<Another gem was Keith and Ronnie jamming on monkey man's riff that I have on some boot, but I acn't rememeber which one->>

Liddas, you must be thinking of Shirley from Kilburn '74

Date: November 19, 2010 16:21

Sohoe
<<Another gem was Keith and Ronnie jamming on monkey man's riff that I have on some boot, but I acn't rememeber which one->>

Liddas, you must be thinking of Shirley from Kilburn '74

Thank you: that's it!

C

p.s. people here know EVERYTHING

Date: November 19, 2010 17:21

liddas
When I say "funk" I mean James Brown, Sly & Family Stone, The Meters, all the way up to Parliament, Nile Rodgers, Prince, etc. etc. etc.
did you seriously put the stones' interpretation of funk music on the same level as james brown and sly and the meters and prince?? seriously? really? wow.

Date: November 19, 2010 17:52

Let's not forget that great slab of Billy Preston led funk, Outta Space, that broke up the setlist - pre B-stage -on the 76 tour.

Here's a visual reminder. Pix at Earl's Ct May 76 by Silver Dagger.

And a pic of that crazy faggot dancing, as John Lennon memorably called it. Stroke me Billy, indeed!

Date: November 19, 2010 18:02

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, Big Enough. That's a good one, liddas!

Amsterdamned: Miles Davis' electric era is by many defined as the start of the fusion-style. I don't think Level 42 belongs in there. A fusion of pop, very light 80s jazz and funk maybe. They might fit in to the velvet sound of the 80s, but that's really not my cup of tea...

Sure the Stones picked up elements of fusion, especially Taylor. But these were only hints, like in Time Waits For No one and I'm Free (live). There are also elements of fusion in the long ending of How Could I Stop, imo.

I don't mean to be harsh either, Amsterdamned. But remember that lots of people in the Stones' fanbase are digging these funky songs, and many of them went high on the charts as well (Miss You to # 1 - and it's funky, no doubt about it). When you say that the Stones can't play funk at all, it may seem a bit arrogant, that's all.

Miss you? It's called disco imo. Thank god we've got Jagger.
Going back to the roots of funk (as Lidas stated): James Brown,Sly and the family Stone,etc
and the Stones cannot do that.(Thank God)
I don't hear a grain of fusion in TWFN either,Taylor's noodling a major scale over two chords,a little Latin feel to it.His talent making a melody and building a great atmosphere does the trick.

His first attempt to fusion was his first solo album (Let's forget about the progrock Bruce band,in which Taylor drowned a bit )

I hate "roots" when it kills creativity,or if it's being worshiped by a band posing and a bad imitation of style.Bad alibi...

The Rolling Stones, once the greatest R&R band in the world ,sold their soul after B&B.

The post Taylor era Stones in a nutshell.

Just my two cents.

Date: November 19, 2010 18:06

step on the wah wah pedal and all of a sudden the stones are a funk band eye rolling smiley

Date: November 19, 2010 18:12

Hold the front page - I've just been reminded by another huge Stones friend Mike Andrews that Slave is also worthy of mention - slow funk but funk nonetheless. Thank you kindly Mike.

Date: November 19, 2010 18:30

bernardandersonII
step on the wah wah pedal and all of a sudden the stones are a funk band eye rolling smiley

Life is easy.winking smiley

Date: November 19, 2010 18:48

bernardandersonII
liddas
did you seriously put the stones' interpretation of funk music on the same level as james brown and sly and the meters and prince?? seriously? really? wow.

No not at all. Those were the undisputed masters. It was just a reminder for those that had little consideration for this kind of music.

I wouldn't even say that there is a proper "funk" trak by the Stones, rather numbers that are more or less influenced. Yet they are competent and convincing in their usual peculiar way- sloppy-funk let's call it!

But I like it!

C

Date: November 19, 2010 20:32

[[i]Amsterdamned: Miles Davis' electric era is by many defined as the start of the fusion-style. I don't think Level 42 belongs in there. A fusion of pop, very light 80s jazz and funk maybe. They might fit in to the velvet sound of the 80s, but that's really not my cup of tea..[/i]. <Dandelion Powderman>

Well JazzRock, ProgRock,Fusion,Crossover....
Matter of taste and expectations.smiling smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 20, 2010 02:06

Dance Pt 1 - love it!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 20, 2010 18:29

DandelionPowderman
Wild Slivovitz
Dance pt. 1 is the best one for me.
Also, "Fingerprint File" off "Love You Live" is damn hot too!
And Il love "Sex Drive", even if this song is not very popular on this board. Let alone "Suck On The Jugular"!!

Keith's playing in the middle of Sex Drive is fantastic. You can't get more funky than that, imo.

Glad someone else noticed that.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: November 20, 2010 21:09

The Stones could definitely be funky when they wanted to. I don't know if it was because of Billy Preston's influence or what, but they could do it.

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: November 20, 2010 21:11

Another vote for Hot Stuff. Close 2nd. Hey Negrita

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: November 20, 2010 21:30

DandelionPowderman
She can play, all right. But the music svcks like elevator music, imo.

Sometimes virtuosity kills the cat winking smiley

This is what I'm talking about:

The Meters opened for the Stones in the 70s.

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Date: November 21, 2010 01:51

DandelionPowderman

Agreed, some nice slow funk, party music. Strange DP, the Stones are far away from his,at least I don't hear it..I think it's wishfull hearing.You can hardly disagree on that? Every guitarist with a bit of funky feeling can play along with your post(with all respect, those guys did a great job considering the time it was popular) I bet you can play along? I just like it a bit more fast and jazzy as it makes me fall asleep.But sure,some nice music.

The girl is still young ,thus could have a bit more balls cool smiley, not a virtuoso yet, but she digs the harmonic and juicy possibilities of funk better already than Keith,Ron or Mick.T imo. Musical boundaries and times are changing.smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-21 13:01 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 21, 2010 02:02

Amsterdamned
Even John Mc Laughlin can play funk <DandelionPowderman>
I bet he can.winking smiley

I don't to make it scholar,but I think I know what I'am talking about..

This is what I call funky: A young girl.smiling smiley

I'll never play my guitar again. My god that kid has it down!

CBII

Date: November 21, 2010 02:08

Amsterdamned
DandelionPowderman

She's still young, not a virtuoso yet, but she digs the harmonic and juicy possibilities of funk better already than Keith,Ron or Mick.T imo. Musical boundaries and times are changing.smiling smiley

That little girl could easily play the Meters stuff and more than likely with all the inflection of the guitarist too boot. Let's just face it, that girl can play her butt off!

You did punch back with an excellent band (the Meters). Extremely funky from the floor to the ceiling!

A funky number by the Rolling Stones for me would be Soul Survivor.

CBII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-21 02:09 by CBII.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 21, 2010 03:54

i've always considered the performance version of Memo From Turner as their 1st funky number ... and I think I might like it best.

Date: November 21, 2010 05:55

Here's the funky for ya! I can see the Rolling Stones tearing this up!

Get Involved / Soul Power

CBII

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 21, 2010 05:59

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is the last word in F-U-N-K !!!

Date: November 21, 2010 11:21

Stones are and have always been a funk-y band. You could say that King Bee is a funky track. They have tons of funkyfied tracks. Someone mentioned "sloppy funk" which is perfect. I recall the New Barbarians with Ziggy and Stanley Clarke getting pretty lowdown, but then you had Ronnie and Keith's very dragging guitars on top, which made for a great hybrid mash, but I wouldn't call it 'funk".
But as far as playing the Funk, they are nowhere in the league of James Brown, Sly Stone, Parliament, Meters, early disco bands.

Date: November 21, 2010 13:05

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-21 13:06 by Amsterdamned.

Date: November 21, 2010 13:38

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-21 14:25 by Amsterdamned.

Date: November 21, 2010 13:57

Here's another example of sloppy funk but great nevertheless. Ronnie's Kilburn gig from 74.

Date: November 21, 2010 14:19

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-21 14:26 by Amsterdamned.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home