Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

NELLCOTE: Bird's Eye View
Posted by: mobilwiener ()
Date: November 18, 2010 13:30

Dear Group,

i am new here this is my first posting:

bing maps (search for nellcote and select bird's eye)

hope you will like this pictures of our interest.

Re: NELLCOTE: Bird's Eye View
Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 18, 2010 13:34

Cool pics. The neighbours' houses are quite close, I bet Keith and everyone were a bit noisy at times! Though possibly some of those other houses weren't built until later..?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-18 13:35 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 18, 2010 13:35

Very nice. Thanks for the tip

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 18, 2010 15:49

I was there a couple weeks ago. The gates were of course locked and you couldn't see the house. I was surprised by how big the grounds were. There was a sign on it saying that no one could enter because of construction work. Villefranche is nothing special, and neither is Beaulieu-sur-Mer, but there is a lot of old money there, lots of huge villas.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: November 18, 2010 18:36

Here's a couple of shots I took of the neighbourhood I took last year. The arrowhead shows the house. I also had a peep through the gates, and thought you got a reasonable view of the house (which was all shuttered up). It's a nice place!

Posted by: fela ()
Date: November 18, 2010 18:56

>> Villefranche is nothing special <<

Villefranche/StJean Cap Ferrat is one of the beautifulest place to live

maybe november was not the right month to go there.....sorry for you

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 18, 2010 19:11

Absolutely beautiful part of France. I've travelled along the Riviera 4 or 5 times and I always stop off to look at the house.

I know a lot of you live far away, in different parts of the world, and won't have had the chance to visit; Villefranche is a beautiful little town, and a munch and a glass at one of the cafes overlooking the harbour, across to where Nellcote is situated, is a real pleasure, particularly in warm weather. The last time I was there, to coincide with the Stones show in Nice in 2006, I spent a whole day in Villefranche and swam all the way around to what I presume was the lower garden gate onto the beach, where I imagine the jetty from which Keith used to launch his boat was situated. Having read and watched so much about the making of Exile, being there was so evocative - I really wanted to be able to travel to 1971! Daft...

I'll tell you what; sitting in England on a cold November evening doesn't half make one yearn for a home (and a life...) like that.

Declan

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: November 18, 2010 19:32

It seems quite built up, a lot of other buildings. I always imagined it was Nellcote was in more of a secluded area until I saw the pics in recent times.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: November 18, 2010 20:20

It really is a beautiful location. This is Villefranche-sur-Mer on the other side of the bay to Nellcote taken from the same spot as the other 2 pics I posted in this thread.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 18, 2010 20:33

Welcome Mobilwiener. You're from Vienna I guess? Have a good time here!

Nice pics, also of course those of Bigtyke. As for The Riviera: I love it, but some places have become too crowded now. In the early seventies it certainly was really cool there (except for Bill and Charlie)!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 18, 2010 20:39

Nice photos, thanks for posting...wish I was there right now. France is a great country....and the music made in that house!!! who lives there now/owns it?

Posted by: mobilwiener ()
Date: November 18, 2010 21:18

@kleermaker,

Yes, i am from vienna 3rd district.

Greetings,
Frederic

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: November 20, 2010 00:34

I stayed in Villfranche last May 4 days at Hotel Welcome across from Nellcote. (with the Exile on the Ipod) Walk to the villa, gates open and entered the grounds. Construction work going on, scafolding etc. Thought this is perhaps not a good idea to intrude as I certainly did not look like I was there to do any work or a local inspector of work! The large pool by the house I doubt was there in Exile days. Superb grounds, too bad Keith doesn't own it!
A great vacation spot

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 20, 2010 01:12

Great photos...I've looked a few times at Nellcote on google earth and am planning to have a few days holiday down there in August 2011. I've heard/read that the current owners aren't too happy with the interest from Stones fans. I find this amazing, in that whoever bought this house must surely have known it's history and thereby expected some interest. Anyway, I shall at least get to the gates and if anyone is around I'm gonna ask if I can take a few photos of the house...they can only say 'non'!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 20, 2010 05:35

Awfully nice looking area to be called exiled

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: November 20, 2010 21:39

crumbling_mice
Great photos...I've looked a few times at Nellcote on google earth and am planning to have a few days holiday down there in August 2011. I've heard/read that the current owners aren't too happy with the interest from Stones fans. I find this amazing, in that whoever bought this house must surely have known it's history and thereby expected some interest. Anyway, I shall at least get to the gates and if anyone is around I'm gonna ask if I can take a few photos of the house...they can only say 'non'!

The new owners are Russian oligarchs, the type who looted the Russian treasury after the end of the Cold War. Putin was after those types, for all the right reasons.Many of them have fled to 'tre chic locales with their ill-gotten gains.Monaco and environs are full of them. A is Holmby Hills and other exclusive areas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home