Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith in new documentary about Honeyboy Edwards
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 8, 2012 16:55

A documentary that looks at the history of the blues through someone who saw its birth will soon be released on DVD. ‘Honeyboy and the History of the Blues‘ looks at the career of David ‘Honeyboy’ Edwards, who passed away in Chicago on August 29, 2011 at the age of 96.

The film features interviews with musicians such as Keith Richards, Joe Perry, Robert Cray, B.B. King and Lucinda Williams talking about the importance of the blues, both on their own work and the history of American popular music. Edwards is also seen performing, in clubs, in a rural setting, and along the Chicago lakefront.

Called “The Last of the Great Mississippi Delta Bluesmen,” Edwards knew many of the early greats, such as Robert Johnson and Charlie Patton. Edwards appeared in the 1991 film, ‘The Search for Robert Johnson,’ and over the years frequently told the story of how he was present the night in 1938 when Johnson was fatally poisoned by a jealous husband.

Edwards moved to Chicago in the 1950s and continued to perform and record up until only a few months before his passing. Edwards won a Grammy Award in 2008 for Best Traditional Blues Album, and in 2010 was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Grammy. His autobiography, ‘The World Don’t Owe Me Nothing,’ was published in 1997.

See link for more and a trailer featuring a few seconds of Keith (among many other artists) talking about Honeyboy Edwards:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-08 16:55 by Green Lady.

Re: Keith in new documentary about Honeyboy Edwards
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: June 9, 2012 00:54

I don't think it's a "new" documentary,if it is the same as this one;
Here you can see 30 minutes from the docu Honeyboy and the History of the Blues,this post is from a few years ago ;

[vimeo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-09 01:05 by Lien.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2012 01:39

Lurv the Honeyboy
...Saw and hung with the best of the Delta blues guys a great story-teller and that haunting voice that piles-up thewordsinonelongsentence ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 9, 2012 07:52

Wonder why ultimateclassicrock is treating this as recent news? Oh well, sorry folks, and thanks, Lien, I'll be doing half an hour's happy watching sometime.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 11, 2012 10:30

Green Lady
I'll be doing half an hour's happy watching sometime.

Me too - thanks for posting, Green Lady - I didn't know about this smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 11, 2012 19:01

This is my first look at this, well worth the post. Very cool. Love the Delta Blues with a bit o Chicago thrown in. mmmm

Reading a good book right now called The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. About the great migration of black people away from the Mississippi Delta. Gives you some great perspective on what the blues artists were living like when producing this music that haunts the soul for eternity. peace

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home