Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Fanfare" source '75/76?
Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 14, 2010 10:41

Does anyone know the exact source of "Fanfare For The Common Man" used by the Stones in '75/76?

Also, does anyone have any comments on the 2009 remaster of Love You Live as compared to the Virgin issue from the late 90's? I appreciated the remastered studio albums.

Re: "Fanfare" source '75/76?
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: November 14, 2010 18:25

Is this what you mean by "source" (Aaron Copland):

Composed in 1942 (while Copland was working on his Third and final symphony, which uses a reworked version of the Fanfare extensively in its fourth movement). It was written to a commission by Eugène Goossens, conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. According to Copland, Goossens, who had commissioned fanfares from British composers during World War I to begin each orchestral concert, had decided to do so again using American composers. 18 such fanfares were commissioned.

Copland considered several titles including Fanfare for a Solemn Ceremony and Fanfare for Four Freedoms; to Goossens’ surprise, however, Copland titled the piece Fanfare for the Common Man. Goossens wrote “Its title is as original as its music, and I think it is so telling that it deserves a special occasion for its performance. If it is agreeable to you, we will premiere it 12 March 1943 at income tax time”. Copland’s replied that he was “all for honoring the common man at income tax time”.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 14, 2010 21:14

....the best opening ever followed by HTW

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 15, 2010 01:02

I meant the actual performance of Copland's composition. As far as I'm aware, the Stones played a recording of "Fanfare", as they didn't have the orchestral tools on their stage to have it played live ala Elvis with Also Sprach Zarathustra.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home