Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : Bob DYLAN The Witmark Demos 1962-1964
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 7, 2010 15:58

Just get the Witmark Demos, the volume 9 of the Bootlegs Serie
Wow !
What a pleasure to listen to the well-known tracks in their early rough versions.
Worth the purchase only for the early piano playin' Bob on "The times they are a changin'"
Beside this , there's the unreleased tracks, "the death of Emmet Tills" ie which is my favorite, but I have to listen to the two CD's more.

HMN

Re: OT : Bob DYLAN The Witmark Demos 1962-1964
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 7, 2010 16:30

Imho the extra free Cd "Live At Brandeis" is strictly for completists though...
Don't despair if you missed it.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 7, 2010 19:47

yeah it's good, but for me it's the weakest Bootleg Series so far...

Date: November 7, 2010 20:19

Amused
yeah it's good, but for me it's the weakest Bootleg Series so far...

If so I want more weakest series like this...winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 7, 2010 20:36

yeah sure, I'm certain there will be at least about 20 bootleg series releases!
but the best material is already released. most of the precious 60s outtakes and 66 tour... oh well...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 7, 2010 21:13

next one up will probably be the four Supper Club shows from New York, Nov 1993 - filmed for TV and then scrapped in favour of the (IMO inferior) MTV Unplugged shows exactly a year later.

Not so sure all the 'best' material is already released. A definitive Basement Tapes box set and a full length gig from Europe 1978 or San Francisco Nov. 1980 would be up there with the best of them. Plus there's a live recording from the Royal Festival Hall in London 1964 in the vaults which has never even circulated.

Cant agree on the 'Brandeis' live CD being for completists only, though. Very nice performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-07 21:14 by Gazza.

Date: November 7, 2010 21:30

A taste of things to come...
[www.examiner.com]

Date: November 7, 2010 21:47

Waitin' for The Blonde on Blonde sessions and an official release of a complete show from 1984.

Thanks for the info Gazza and Dcbawinking smiley

HMN

Date: November 7, 2010 22:14

dcba
[www.examiner.com]

Had heard whispers about a 'Blonde on Blonde' release before, but this all sounds good - apart from the info on the follow up to 'Chronicles' (or lack of one)

'Hard Rain' is LONG overdue an official DVD release. Or even a re-broadcast!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 7, 2010 22:41

In addition to the Supper Club shows, I'd also be interested in a more varied multidisc anthology that spans all 22 years of The Never Ending Tour. Compile it in the same way that Ian MacLagan did the Faces box set: no sense of chronology and jumping all over the place, like an archivist showing off his collection in a well-crafted vinyl session. One could compare and contrast different band lineups, Bob's voice over the years, lead guitar Bob vs. piano Bob, etc. I, for one, could get through a bunch of car trips going through that one.

A fellow Bobhead and I were discussing why recent live Bob can be an acquired taste that can scare away the squeamish. I told him that "one's affinity for recent Bob is dependent upon one's capacity to embrace the phlegm." We then launched on a search for roots of historic phlegm and determined that its first traces appeared around the time of Good As I Been to You.

Date: November 7, 2010 22:44

The comment by one Chris H ain't bad either. Toronto'80 (which was pro-shot) or a compilation of the NET (with a 4-cd set?) get my vote too.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 8, 2010 08:49

Being a Dylanist since 1965 I have to tell that my personal fav from the man is outtakes from Oh Mercy from 1989..take for example 'Ring them Bells' with just Piano and voice and 'Series of Dreams' # 1 to # 3 Phew..beats even 'Not dark yet'..Dylan himself gave big space for the recording of this album as I remember reading his 'Chronicle'...I hope for this one to be released as numb 10 in bootleg series..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 8, 2010 10:48

this is what i want:

Supper Club
GospelTour
Temples in Flames
Ginsberg recordings
Complete basement tapes
78-81 Outtakes
83-88 Outtakes
The original Freewheling
Official In Concert release
Never ending box
Rarities Box

To release complete Sessions could be great but I won´t see it in the regular BS

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 8, 2010 17:22

the witmark demos are nice to have - most of us collectors have had these for decades, though. beginning to seem as though this series is starting to scrape the barrel....

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: November 8, 2010 17:57

dcba
[www.examiner.com]

Cool. I am looking forward to more Hard Rain.

I will say I much prefer Fairport's version of "I'll Keep it with Mine" over the Nico clip they show here.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 9, 2010 06:55

A larger, historically accurate Basement Tapes set would also be most appreciated. The current set has a bunch of Band tracks that were demos for Big Pink that were not recorded there.

Date: November 9, 2010 11:05

Acc. to some Bob experts (Heylin iirc) the Big Pink tapes are not in the hands of Jeff Rosen/Columbia/Sony, that's why they haven't been the subject of an expanded rerelease yet.

Date: November 9, 2010 11:11

Tree with roots that's said is the complete recordings from 1967 has it's moments, but I think the best of it is on "Basement Tapes". Sound-quality is really bad...hard to handle even for todays sound-brushing systems...

Date: November 9, 2010 15:07

How can it be 'the complete recordings' when they worked on and off for about 3-4 months and it contains only four discs?

Date: November 9, 2010 15:11

ab
A larger, historically accurate Basement Tapes set would also be most appreciated. The current set has a bunch of Band tracks that were demos for Big Pink that were not recorded there.

It also has overdubs (most notably the drums) on several of the Dylan songs which were added later.

Its one of my favourite Dylan albums but it could be improved by, as you say, releasing a more extensive and historically accurate collection. Thankfully, 'I'm Not There' finally got a release a couple of years ago, but it's time stuff like 'Sign on The Cross' and several of those wonderful covers were spruced up and put out as well.

Date: November 9, 2010 15:14

Gazza
How can it be 'the complete recordings' when they worked on and off for about 3-4 months and it contains only four discs?

Beats me too.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:42

dcba
Acc. to some Bob experts (Heylin iirc) the Big Pink tapes are not in the hands of Jeff Rosen/Columbia/Sony, that's why they haven't been the subject of an expanded rerelease yet.
so who owns (holds) them

Date: November 9, 2010 17:47

Gazza :
"In the early 1990s, a virtually complete collection of all Dylan's 1967 recordings in Woodstock was released on a bootleg 5-CD set, The Genuine Basement Tapes. The collection, which contains over 100 songs and alternate takes, was later remastered and issued as the 4-CD bootleg A Tree With Roots. Greil Marcus showed the set to Garth Hudson, who declared, "They've got it all."
Nonetheless, a handful of basement songs not available on A Tree With Roots or other bootlegs have been documented, including the Band's "Even If It's a Pig Part I" (which has circulated in fragmentary form) and "Even If It's a Pig Part II", and Dylan's "Wild Wolf" and "Can I Get a Racehorse" (copyrighted as "You Own a Racehorse") "
[en.wikipedia.org]

Too bad the bulk of the sessions is already in our hands...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-09 21:24 by dcba.

Date: November 9, 2010 20:31

dcba
Imho the extra free Cd "Live At Brandeis" is strictly for completists though...
Don't despair if you missed it.

Got it today winking smiley not so bad...

HMN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 9, 2010 23:05

Still need definitive Blood On The Tracks with all the NY alternate recordings in one place.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home