Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith's Singing
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 8, 2010 13:44

Edward Twining
KeithNacho
Jagger's singing in Following the River is superb.
Maybe the song, or maybe this way of singing i s not of everybody's taste; but it is very very difficult to reach those high notes. I like it.

Maybe people like Jagger singing in other way, but i love all his singing along the years (except for DW)

KR's voice nowadays is peculiar, sometimes i like it, sometimes is awful (now i am thinking about his harmonies singing connection on the SAL DVD bonus tunes)

His guitar playing has worsened, but i do not think it is related with age (i am thinking in SAL sympathy and undercover..........)

Keith's voice isn't pretty in some respects, yet like Bob Dylan, he really does manage to connect with the emotions within the songs. Technically he's not great, yet in terms of believeability, within the way he expresses himself, i actually think he comes pretty high. You can only work with the tools you have, and i think Keith pretty much does all he can. Jagger is a different case altogether. Somewhere along the line his abilities, or to put it in another respect, his interpretational skills have deserted him, and he tends to rely solely on technique, and certainly live, spectacle. He certainly has a bigger box of tricks than he had in his prime, yet he's lost his connection, and conviction to ever really deliver a song convincingly. Pre 'Undercover', for me Jagger's singing was never an issue because he seemed to be so well in tune and complimentary to whatever song he was singing, but especially from the mid eighties onwards that has not been the case. Jagger's take on the songs, and his inconsistencies, has resulting in some of the songs falling purely on the strength, or the believeability of his vocal. Really even as far back as the 81 tour, his vocals were pretty bad, yet in more recent years, and also due to the greater decline in his vocals due to age too, he can be at times quite unbearable. That's why i believe the Stones will never again record a classic song, or album. There are just to many hurdles for them to have to cross. I'm not sure Jagger has really been committed, or in love with music, for a very long time. He's pretty much the master of artifice. I find his vocal on 'Following The River' especially phony. Of course Keith's singing (and guitar playing) have declined too, but in his case i think his spirit is willing, but his musical tools are now weak.

it's all the matter of taste. I find Richards' singing quite unbearable for obvious reasons. As for so called believeability, expression of real feelings of his singing I think it's exactly the same old myth like his "honesty".
on other hand, Mick's singing on Plundered My Soul is absolutely fantastic

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 8, 2010 14:44

71Tele
ROPENI
Addicted wrote:"The fact that some people on this board take every little opportunity - and if there isn't one, they'll constrict one, to bash Keith, upsets me. Why are you so evil?"

So, now if you say anything,about Keith that could be considered criticism then You are "EVIL"???.
Come on,don't be so touchy,we here at the board have many opinions some you may agree with them some you may not,so what?,and if this upsets you, then create your own board,and the requirement would be that everyone writes "nice" thing about Keith. By now you have let us know,many times over that you know Keith and work for him,Fantastic, but us mere humans still have the right to express our individual opinions good or bad about Keith. End of the story.

Yeah, I thought "evil" was a bit much. @#$%& was "evil". Criticizing things in Keith Richard's book? Not so much.

Exactly >grinning smiley<

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: November 8, 2010 16:11

proudmary
it's all the matter of taste. I find Richards' singing quite unbearable for obvious reasons. As for so called believeability, expression of real feelings of his singing I think it's exactly the same old myth like his "honesty".
on other hand, Mick's singing on Plundered My Soul is absolutely fantastic

That Keith's got the heart and soul for music is certainly no myth. We got the loads of recordings to proove it.

The sincerity and feeling of Keith's music has always been his main strength in his vocals as well, imo.

I'd take Make No Mistake any day, instead of Say You Will. I think those two songs describe what I'm talking about here w Mick and Keith. I love them both, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: November 8, 2010 18:05

It's mostly the smoking. Listen to Marianne Faithful's '60s voice versus her '70s "Broken English" style voice you'll hear the same type of thing happening.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 8, 2010 19:35

Keith can still be a wonderful singer.

I love his present lower register singing, slightly hoarse. It was in Switzerland during the ABB tour, but I can't remember if it was Basel or Zurich (probably Zurich), in any case his interpretation of Slipping Away gave me goose bumps! Silver was almost always delivered superbly. More than the pitch, its his timing that is absolutely incredible.

In studio, Place is empty and Hurricane are two highlights of his carreer. His 3 songs on Bridges are absolutely great. Most of his solo work was wonderful.

One interpretation that is missed forever is the studio version of Before they Make me run. Keith's best vocals ever. That is one of those songs he never ever nailed again.

C

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 8, 2010 20:02

71Tele

You hit it on the head. I don't think Jagger has really believed in the material in a very long time, therefore he does not have a way to connect emotionally with it, so he uses these various mechanisms and mannerisms to get him through. Contrast Wild Horses, with its emotional depth, with Following The River, which is merely sentimental in a rather contrived way.

71Tele, i think you make very good choices of songs to compare/contrast between 'Wild Horses' and 'Following The River', although i think Jagger's aged voice also has something to do with these differences. When Jagger was younger his voice was lighter and more versitile. 'Wild Horses' was pretty much gimmick free, and very natural. Somehow Jagger's voice has become much heavier with age, and he just can't modulate his voice any longer to stay within that lighter range, and his voice tends to keep sinking lower into overaccentuation and increased and ineffective mannerisms. I think his later interpretations of 'Wild Horses' are very telling in what's very wrong with his vocals, when compared to his original vocal. 'Childhood livvvaaaaaain' ' 'the things you wanted i bought them for yew, and his pronunciation of 'Wild Hosses' instead of 'Horses'. I find these mannerisms completely destroy the effectiveness of the song.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 8, 2010 20:04

Traditionally Keith's voice is like his guitar playing, rickety, but enormously effective. The imperfections touch your heart. His lyrics do too. There is often an openness and vulnerability there that is generally lacking in the rest of the band's music.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 8, 2010 20:12

dandelion1967
What I really care about Keith's singing is the way he does it. he changed with time, that's true, and I think he become more and more mature and goes much more deeper. Liste to This place is empty, he sing it with all of his soul. Maybe i get this message very easy, because in Argentina we have "Polaco" Goyeneche, one of the greates tango singers ever, who in his younger years have a beautifull voice, but years, alcohol and drugs take that voice and leave his frasing, which is the main thing. As we say here, "el polaco no canta, dice el tango" (polaco didn't sing, he "speak" tango). Is amazing to hear a guy completely out of tune, but in the right frasing. Keith do this this also. But he did it since the very first days... listen to the harmony in "Out of time". He seem to sing a 7th mayor to Mick, but is between a 7th mayor and an unison. And keep in mind studio work. In 68 he start singing much higher every time. His top singing is in Exile. But don't be fooled... Happy is over-speeded. Turn it down a half tone and you will notice...

Excellent analogy. Keith's voice is like that of an old Tango singer who gets by on memories and phrasing...his ruined voice not having the technical capabilities of yore and no longer able to achieve the unique tone it once had, yet the decay and loss and ruin is tempered and actually made more poignant by the channeling of wisdom and loss and maturity that the ravaged voice now communicates...and the sheer emotion evoked with that beautiful ruin can carry a song into your heart...not in the way the once-youthful, reed-thin Rebel Yell long ago carried Stones' harmonies into the immortal realm but in a more earthy, vulnerable and ultimately unguarded manner.

Keith was once a great Rock shouter...he's matured, through the self-abuse of nicotine, heroin, cocaine and alcohol into a great old jazz/country balladeer...not a bad thing to be at nearly 70 well-lived years of age.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 8, 2010 21:23

pmk251
Traditionally Keith's voice is like his guitar playing, rickety, but enormously effective. The imperfections touch your heart. His lyrics do too. There is often an openness and vulnerability there that is generally lacking in the rest of the band's music.

...Which is why I used to live for those rare Keith lead vocals on Stones albums. He has done some effective things with his "newer" voice, but also some throwaway stuff too (what was that "bare your breasts" song on ABB? Awful). A good example of effectively using his "mature" voice is the track he did for the Hank Williams tribute LP, "You Win Again". Magical.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 9, 2010 00:39

Would love to hear "Coming Down Again" in concert no matter what.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 9, 2010 01:32

Midnight Toker
Would love to hear "Coming Down Again" in concert no matter what.

Me too!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 9, 2010 01:44

I think the last time I heard the high harmony singing was during the "You Got It Made" outtakes, singing with Ronnie. Sure Keith prolly can't do it anymore...but I think he actually could still do it---if he can be bothered. The voice is a delicate instrument and keeping it unused will make you lose the strength you originally had. I think Keith gradually stopped using that "Happy" voice...felt weird going back to that register and started to find comfort in a lower voice.

I began to notice Keith's issues with vocals when he took "Happy" down to A instead of B during the second Licks leg. He hit the notes fine earlier in B...so why go down to A? My theory was laziness...not wanting to stretch to get those notes. He eventually returned the song back to B. It could also be possible that with age, Keith possibly feels he's "outgrown" that voice.

Who knows? I miss it too. But there's a lot of things I miss about this band...and it's never gonna come back. I can deal with Keith's lackluster vocals when compared to Mick's singing last couple of years. I agree with all dissections of his voice as stated above. He has become practically unlistenable.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home