Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Wayne Perkins or Ronnie Wood?
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: November 5, 2010 14:05

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
bustedtrousers
Edith Grove
71Tele
According to Keith's new book, Ronnie's edge was that he was English.

I remember that as well, and I think he mentions that back on 25x5, but IMO, it's an easy way of saying Perkins just didn't have the "look."

I hate to say it, but the Stones are as much about appearance as they are about the music.
It's what sells, along with their outrageous behavior over the years.

Perkins has a rather average look, from what I remember, and Stu actually was removed from the lineup mostly for this reason.
Perkins's name doesn't sound very "edgy" as well. Would he have had to change his last name as Bill did years earlier?

It's a shame really, and even discriminatory if playing for the Stones is considered a "real" job, but I'm certain Mick & Keith had these things in mind when making the decision.

It's the grim reality of "show biz."

I agree, and musician-wise, I would say Perkins, but at this point, I just can't imagine them without Ronnie. He was the perfect choice overall, he looked more like a Rolling Stone than they did. But I think it killed him as a musician.

I think Ronnie is a great guitarist, some of what I've heard on the Faces records I think is excellent, as good a guitar playing, on it's own level, as I've heard anywhere. But something about being Keith's second banana and (musical)sidekick ruined him. I think he still has the ability, especially when sober, but being in the Rolling Stones has not been good for him, both musically, and health-wise.

I'm not all that familiar with the Faces, so there are still times when I will hear something from them that is new to me, and knowing that Ronnie was the only guitar player, I'll think to myself, "That's Ronnie? What the hell happened with him, why doesn't he play like this now?". I think it's because the Stones muted his abilities, made him their court jester, and with Ronnie's good-time personality, he all too willingly let it happen.

Wayne barely looked the part even back then, and although the Stones love playing with guys from the American south, he didn't really fit in. I think that was a major issue, especially with Keith. Ronnie looked and acted the part from day one, but the box the Stones put him in, just didn't work for him as a musician. I think the same thing happened eventually with Mick Taylor. Unlike Ronnie, he was brought in as a full member, if I'm not mistaken, and I think he was initially led to believe he'd be able to contribute more and more as time went on. When that didn't happen so easily, especially when it came to getting proper credits for his contributions, he left. After that, I think Jagger and Keith wanted the next guy to just play guitar and keep his yap shut.

That probably would have worked fine with Wayne, he was use to being a sideman, a hired gun who does as he's told and doesn't expect anything more. But it eventually killed Ronnie as a musician with his own unique identity.

It killed The Rolling Stones as well. Their own fault. And now Keith is saying "I miss Mick Taylor ... a lot". Well, so do I.

Killed The Rolling Stones?? They made three extremely successful albums (SG, ER and TY), gained new fans, kept the old ones as well as managed to remain vital in the music business - something that seemed unlikely in 1974.

About the "Miss Taylor a lot" -statement from Keith. Have you heard him say that before, or do you think it just was a nice/wise thing to say in the midst of marketing the "new" Exile?

I'm sure Keith misses Taylor, but 1. He didn't say a lot (your addition) and 2. He didn't say it because he thought Ronnie was doing a poor job (as some may be mislead to believe by your repetitive exaggerations).

Whatever you say, he absolutely said "a lot". There was a little pause between the words "I miss MT" and "a lot". Certainly not my fantasy. And I believe Keith here, it's too far fetched to think he said that for the money, but I know you defend Ronnie (well that does rhymecool smiley). You make a connection between Keith's quote and Wood. He misses Taylor a lot, that's it. It would be very strange if he didn't. As for the albums you mentioned: poor things compared to all former albums, however much successful they were. Music is not about selling numbers. You know that as well as I do.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 5, 2010 14:15

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
bustedtrousers
Edith Grove
71Tele
According to Keith's new book, Ronnie's edge was that he was English.

I remember that as well, and I think he mentions that back on 25x5, but IMO, it's an easy way of saying Perkins just didn't have the "look."

I hate to say it, but the Stones are as much about appearance as they are about the music.
It's what sells, along with their outrageous behavior over the years.

Perkins has a rather average look, from what I remember, and Stu actually was removed from the lineup mostly for this reason.
Perkins's name doesn't sound very "edgy" as well. Would he have had to change his last name as Bill did years earlier?

It's a shame really, and even discriminatory if playing for the Stones is considered a "real" job, but I'm certain Mick & Keith had these things in mind when making the decision.

It's the grim reality of "show biz."

I agree, and musician-wise, I would say Perkins, but at this point, I just can't imagine them without Ronnie. He was the perfect choice overall, he looked more like a Rolling Stone than they did. But I think it killed him as a musician.

I think Ronnie is a great guitarist, some of what I've heard on the Faces records I think is excellent, as good a guitar playing, on it's own level, as I've heard anywhere. But something about being Keith's second banana and (musical)sidekick ruined him. I think he still has the ability, especially when sober, but being in the Rolling Stones has not been good for him, both musically, and health-wise.

I'm not all that familiar with the Faces, so there are still times when I will hear something from them that is new to me, and knowing that Ronnie was the only guitar player, I'll think to myself, "That's Ronnie? What the hell happened with him, why doesn't he play like this now?". I think it's because the Stones muted his abilities, made him their court jester, and with Ronnie's good-time personality, he all too willingly let it happen.

Wayne barely looked the part even back then, and although the Stones love playing with guys from the American south, he didn't really fit in. I think that was a major issue, especially with Keith. Ronnie looked and acted the part from day one, but the box the Stones put him in, just didn't work for him as a musician. I think the same thing happened eventually with Mick Taylor. Unlike Ronnie, he was brought in as a full member, if I'm not mistaken, and I think he was initially led to believe he'd be able to contribute more and more as time went on. When that didn't happen so easily, especially when it came to getting proper credits for his contributions, he left. After that, I think Jagger and Keith wanted the next guy to just play guitar and keep his yap shut.

That probably would have worked fine with Wayne, he was use to being a sideman, a hired gun who does as he's told and doesn't expect anything more. But it eventually killed Ronnie as a musician with his own unique identity.

It killed The Rolling Stones as well. Their own fault. And now Keith is saying "I miss Mick Taylor ... a lot". Well, so do I.

Killed The Rolling Stones?? They made three extremely successful albums (SG, ER and TY), gained new fans, kept the old ones as well as managed to remain vital in the music business - something that seemed unlikely in 1974.

About the "Miss Taylor a lot" -statement from Keith. Have you heard him say that before, or do you think it just was a nice/wise thing to say in the midst of marketing the "new" Exile?

I'm sure Keith misses Taylor, but 1. He didn't say a lot (your addition) and 2. He didn't say it because he thought Ronnie was doing a poor job (as some may be mislead to believe by your repetitive exaggerations).

Whatever you say, he absolutely said "a lot". There was a little pause between the words "I miss MT" and "a lot". Certainly not my fantasy. And I believe Keith here, it's too far fetched to think he said that for the money, but I know you defend Ronnie (well that does rhymecool smiley). You make a connection between Keith's quote and Wood. He misses Taylor a lot, that's it. It would be very strange if he didn't. As for the albums you mentioned: poor things compared to all former albums, however much successful they were. Music is not about selling numbers. You know that as well as I do.
tell that to the record companies. you know very well that if the product is not commercialy viable it's not going anywhere.

Date: November 5, 2010 14:25

Yeah, he did actually say "a lot", kleermaker. Checked the video now. But how serious was Keith in that interview winking smiley Anyway, I think you're overreading Keith's response in that interview smiling smiley

IMO, it's hilarious to use that answer in different contexts as you do: "maybe that's why Keith misses him so much", ..."that killed The Rolling Stones - Keith is missing Taylor..." Ridiculous, imo.

And no, SG, ER and TY are NOT poor albums (except maybe for a very few Taylorites winking smiley ). The majority of Stones fans actually like them. A world without Beast Of Burden, Before They Make Me Run, Little T + A, Start Me Up or Down In The Hole? Would have been sad, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-05 14:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 5, 2010 14:37

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, he did actually say "a lot", kleermaker. Checked the video now. But how serious was Keith in that interview winking smiley Anyway, I think you're overreading Keith's response in that interview smiling smiley

IMO, it's hilarious to use that answer in different contexts as you do: "maybe that's why Keith misses him so much", ..."that killed The Rolling Stones - Keith is missing Taylor..." Ridiculous, imo.

And no, SG, ER and TY are NOT poor albums (except maybe for a very few Taylorites winking smiley ). The majority of Stones fans actually like them. A world without Beast Of Burden, Before They Make Me Run, Little T + A, Start Me Up or Down In The Hole? Would have been sad, imo.
you got that right , count me in

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 5, 2010 14:44

Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs
With Perkins they would never have survived the glamrock period and certainly not the punk period. Wood was vital new blood in outpunking the punks. Perkins is and was, just as Taylor, too much of a blues purist to be able to adjust to modern day music. Remember, it wasn't until Stevie Ray Vaughan that blues music and blues guitarists where revived.

And Wood could write songs, very important to Mick in the absence of Keith.

Mathijs

haha...who was "punk" in the Stones ? You reckon Keith was? you reckon Jagger was? fair dinkum...if you think those guys were then surely any clown (Ron, Wayne, MT etc..) would have join/followed along with their musical sound....good musicians change with the times...who f**king knows...for what it's worth I would have gone RW until he got too wasted/useless then "hired" another guitarist.

At the time, Some Girls (or songs like Lies, Whip, Respectable, Shattered) was considered the Stones answer to the punk movement -- and judging by the reviews at the time regarding this punk comparison, they were quite successful.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 5, 2010 14:48

LeonidP
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs
With Perkins they would never have survived the glamrock period and certainly not the punk period. Wood was vital new blood in outpunking the punks. Perkins is and was, just as Taylor, too much of a blues purist to be able to adjust to modern day music. Remember, it wasn't until Stevie Ray Vaughan that blues music and blues guitarists where revived.

Mathijs

haha...who was "punk" in the Stones ? You reckon Keith was? you reckon Jagger was? fair dinkum...if you think those guys were then surely any clown (Ron, Wayne, MT etc..) would have join/followed along with their musical sound....good musicians change with the times...who f**king knows...for what it's worth I would have gone RW until he got too wasted/useless then "hired" another guitarist.

At the time, Some Girls (or songs like Lies, Whip, Respectable, Shattered) was considered the Stones answer to the punk movement -- and judging by the reviews at the time regarding this punk comparison, they were quite successful.

if you call Some Girls punk then Chuck Berry is heavy rock...sorry I disagree. It might be the closest thing the Stones have gone towards a punk sound...but it's still rock n' roll to me....isn't this why alot of Stones fans like this album?
Forget what the bloody critics say...

Date: November 5, 2010 14:53

Eleanor Rigby
LeonidP
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs

Mathijs

if you call Some Girls punk then Chuck Berry is heavy rock...sorry I disagree. It might be the closest thing the Stones have gone towards a punk sound...but it's still rock n' roll to me....isn't this why alot of Stones fans like this album?

It wasn't just the critics ... it was Mick too, and Keith also makes a punk reference in regards to Some Girls in his book -- stating something like the bands like Sex Pistols were just tossers and Stones showed them how to do it (I didn't look up to find the exact quote).

Date: November 5, 2010 15:29

yeah and Keith reckons Muddy was painting the god damn ceiling...

it's hardly punk IMO

Date: November 5, 2010 15:39

What is Shattered then - Ska-pop?

Date: November 5, 2010 15:45

Eleanor Rigby

it's hardly punk IMO

ok, but not too many care much about your opinion over those in the business -- and Muddy was painting the ceiling, also witnessed by Bill Wyman

Date: November 5, 2010 15:56

LeonidP
Eleanor Rigby

it's hardly punk IMO

ok, but not too many care much about your opinion over those in the business -- and Muddy was painting the ceiling, also witnessed by Bill Wyman

sorry, forgot Bill was also very reliable...did you read his book ? also very accurate !

Date: November 5, 2010 16:03

Eleanor Rigby
LeonidP
Eleanor Rigby

it's hardly punk IMO

sorry, forgot Bill was also very reliable...did you read his book ? also very accurate !

So nothing they say is accurate? Yeah, you sound like a more reliable source -- need to check w/ you on the remaining facts from their books so that I know what is what ...

Anyway, just doing a simple google search will show a multitude of 'answer to punk' articles on Some Girls -- here's a couple:

========================================

[en.wikipedia.org]

"In part as a response to punk, many songs were fast, basic, guitar-driven rock and roll"

[allmusic.com]

"By 1978, both punk and disco had swept the group off the front pages, and Some Girls was their fiery response to the younger generation."

========================================

So I don't even know why it's a debate. Obviously the Stones aren't a 'punk' band, the same way they aren't a 'country' or 'reggae' band, but what they are is a rock band that branches out to many different styles. In the case of Some Girls, they decided to try a few more up-tempo numbers which some compare to punk ... not a big deal.

Date: November 5, 2010 16:12

yep I agree with that - we'll leave it there.

What i was getting at was that people believe anything they read....and if they read Keith's new book...well...I won't go there!

Date: November 5, 2010 16:29

Eleanor Rigby

What i was getting at was that people believe anything they read....and if they read Keith's new book...well...I won't go there!

yes, but it seems that you just disbelieve anything you read -- and in this case (of Muddy) Keith & Bill were there so why would anyone else have better info than them? i'm pretty convinced that it's true.

Date: November 5, 2010 16:39

LeonidP
Eleanor Rigby

yes, but it seems that you just disbelieve anything you read -- and in this case (of Muddy) Keith & Bill were there so why would anyone else have better info than them? i'm pretty convinced that it's true.

For the record, true or false, here is what is in Keith's Life book:

================================================
Some people, Marshall Chess included, swear that I made this up, but Bill Wyman can back me up. We walked into Chess studios, and there's this guy in black overalls painting the ceiling. And it's Muddy Waters, and he's got whitewash streaming down his face and he's on top of a ladder. Marshall Chess says, "Oh, we never had him painting." But Marshall was a boy then; he was working in the basement. And also Bill Wyman told me he actually remembers Muddy Waters taking our amplifiers from the car into the studio. Whether he was being a nice guy or he wasn't selling records then, I know what the Chess brothers were bloody well like--if you want to stay on the payroll, get to work.

Date: November 5, 2010 16:42

Eleanor Rigby
LeonidP
Eleanor Rigby
Mathijs

Mathijs

It isn't punk, it's trendy, just like ER isn't reggae but also trendy (Mick singing like The Bee Gees on the title song). Mostly mediocre music except some exceptions (Beast oB for instance). But I admit that even mediocre Stones songs are relatively pretty good songswinking smiley.

Date: November 5, 2010 16:50

ahhh kleermaker...you see the light ! so so true...and very correct about Jagger impersonating Barry Gibb also, who was the pioneer when it came to the falsetto...well certainly before Jagger ever had a crack at it anyway.

to LeonidP - I don't dis-believe anything i read, but take a fair bit with a grain of salt. I could go on and on...how much do you think Keith Richards can remember? Surely he's going on what people tell him? or what he has read in the news?
let's just remember him as a poor junkie...

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 5, 2010 19:06

Please, Muddy Waters was not painting the ceiling, that's just another one of Keith's fantasy tales. Maybe he wasn't selling as many records as in the early 50's but he was still a star.

Date: November 5, 2010 19:55

stones78
Please, Muddy Waters was not painting the ceiling, that's just another one of Keith's fantasy tales. Maybe he wasn't selling as many records as in the early 50's but he was still a star.

amazing that so many people that weren't there seem to know more about it than those that were there

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: November 5, 2010 22:38

kleermaker
There was a little pause between the words "I miss MT" and "a lot". Certainly not my fantasy.

Im afraid to say kleermaker that the pause most certainly IS your fantasy. Theres not even a hint of a pause.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 6, 2010 09:24

Punk rock is rock music with no over-production: Stray cats blues, live with me, rip this joint.........
I mean , punk music was a come back to rock basics, 3-chords songs with 4-notes solos

Date: November 6, 2010 15:05

ThankGod
kleermaker
There was a little pause between the words "I miss MT" and "a lot". Certainly not my fantasy.

Im afraid to say kleermaker that the pause most certainly IS your fantasy. Theres not even a hint of a pause.

You're absolutely right, the pause is between "Bill" and "Wyman", I heard. Thank god there was at least a pausegrinning smiley.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 31, 2011 02:02

From what I can tell, MT was a bit of a kook and quit the band for no good reason. You can't blame Keith for Mick Taylor leaving, not at all. But you can blame Keith for bringing in Ronnie Wood to replace him.

Oh well, water under he bridge.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 31, 2011 03:48

its pretty obvious woody was the right choice i mean lets face it

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 31, 2011 04:06

Amsterdamned
Stupid question.

amem...

but Ronnie, of course.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: May 31, 2011 05:22

they choose ronnie as he is english---go figure

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: May 31, 2011 05:31

Wood is a known celebrity, having played with the Faces for years. But Perkins' solo work on Hand of Fate is awesome. I would pick Ronnie. But then again I know little about Perkins other than the work on Hand of Fate. Wheatever happenned to Perkins anyway?[/quote]
bet he is playing great guitar somewhere--which is what he always did--smileys with beer

Date: May 31, 2011 07:48

if black and blue was an audition and the winner was picked based on guitar contributions perkins won..

but ron wood has bee a great stone...you just cant dismiss his contributions

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 31, 2011 08:24

They should have pick George Harrison...eye popping smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 31, 2011 08:46

There's no doubt that Ron Wood's a sh-tty guitarist whose only virtues are versatility and Englishness. Seriously, his best solos are worse than Mick Taylor's drunken nightmares.

But can you really imagine the four-eyed polyester dork on the video earlier in this thread playing onstage with the Stones? Can you imagine the same dork having anything to do with Some Girls?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1521
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home