Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Chuck Berry kicked of Keith from stage 1972! What happened?
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: October 31, 2010 15:51

I've read somewhere that Chuck Berry kicked Keith off the stage in 1972 in Califonia! What happened?

Re: Chuck Berry kicked of Keith from stage 1972! What happened?
Posted by: Dali ()
Date: October 31, 2010 16:53

"(in 1972) Berry kicked Keith Richards off the stage at a Hollywood concert when Richards began to play too loudly." Bruce Pegg, Brown Eyed Handsome Man.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 31, 2010 17:17

Chuck later said he didn't recognize Keith.
it's what Keith is referring to during his 1988 Winos show at the Hollywood Palladium
when he says "a stage I've been thrown off of many times"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 31, 2010 17:50

Who knows why Chuck did that. Chuck is moody.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 31, 2010 18:24

Chuck humbles Keith the way Keith tries to humble Mick.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 31, 2010 21:26

Dali
"(in 1972) Berry kicked Keith Richards off the stage at a Hollywood concert when Richards began to play too loudly." Bruce Pegg, Brown Eyed Handsome Man.

One hundred percent correct. Bruce Pegg's book is excellent.

CBII

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 31, 2010 21:40

Is it true Chuck didn't know who it was?

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: October 31, 2010 21:53

CB II can you provide any details about this situation? What did Chuck say about this? I realize it may be private info but if you can share it then it would be interesting. At least to hear the story from Chuck's side of it and what was going on.

Date: November 1, 2010 10:04

yeah CBII, if you can shed any light that would be brilliant! i've read that Chuck was sorry afterwards,
and that when he was told it was Keith he wanted to ask him to come back, but Keith had already left the vicinity -
but all that begs the question: who asked Keith on stage to begin with??
i really can't picture him just barging up there and plugging in uninvited

Posted by: bradl ()
Date: November 25, 2013 02:37

I was there that night, but with tequila smuggled in, so I can't swear to anything. Black Oak Arkansas opened and they really blew the doors off the Palladium. When Chuck started his set, there were 5 players onstage: Chuck, a drummer, a bass player, Keith Richards and a piano player who I still think was Nicky Hopkins. Chuck seemed irritated from the outset. But, they all started playing and it was great! After one or 2 songs, there was some problem with the PA or monitors, or at least Chuck thought so, because he stopped mid-song and complained about the sound. Then he made a statement over the PA: "I want one drummer and one bass player and that's all". He didn't turn and look at Keith or the piano player. He just glowered at the audience. Keith was wearing a hat of some sort and when it was clear what Chuck was doing by stopping the song to make the statement, Keith took off the hat, threw it down, and he and the piano player walked off. That's what I remember. I do not believe for a minute that Chuck did not know that it was Keith Richards on stage with him. After the dust settled, Chuck rocked the Palladium like, well, Chuck Berry. Chuck had a hit at the time called "My Ding-a-Ling" (really corny song) and he was in a much better mood when he got around to playing that.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: November 25, 2013 08:34

Is this the same incident when Chuck supposedly gave Keith a black eye? I thought I read that Chuck later apologized to Ronnie Wood, thinking he was Keith...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 25, 2013 08:55

^ Keith tells that story in the Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll movie, except that he places the incident backstage at a show in 1965.

Ron Wood tells a slightly different version of the story here: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

There's also the story of when Chuck is said to have dropped a lit cigarette down the front of Keith's shirt at an airport. I wonder where and when and whether there is any truth to that alleged incident as well.

Chuck has always had an attitude toward Keith, perhaps because of the way Keith took his riffs and ran with them, who knows? It could be a slight case of professional jealousy on Chuck's part, but I'm just speculating.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:27

CBII
Dali

One hundred percent correct. Bruce Pegg's book is excellent.

thumbs up>grinning smiley< Keith had no manners. Isnt that one of the "inside jokes" in the Stones; Keith always turning up his volume, way up?

Date: November 25, 2013 11:28

roundnround
Is this the same incident when Chuck supposedly gave Keith a black eye? I thought I read that Chuck later apologized to Ronnie Wood, thinking he was Keith...

Check out Keiths eye.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 11:29 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: November 25, 2013 11:33

But we all know this is part of rock n roll super stardom. Keith is a punk at heart, Chuck is Godfather of Rock n roll. And you dont turn the knobs higher than Chuck if you're on his stage. cool smiley

Date: November 25, 2013 11:35

winking smiley

Date: November 25, 2013 11:40

Anybody got the pics from 1975? Theyre in Daltons book

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 25, 2013 20:36

Redhotcarpet
roundnround

Check out Keiths eye.

That's funny, never seen that. Seems the black eye story is real!

Mathijs

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 25, 2013 21:49

Hadn't seen that video before. Keith looks like a total badass, even without the black eye!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 25, 2013 21:58

adding to the mix - but this seems a bit like fantasy

[www.blackoakarkansas.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 22:05 by hbwriter.

Date: November 25, 2013 23:25

bradl
I was there that night ...

Way cool, bradl - thanks for posting that.
I posted a couple of photos of the incident once, under duress - I hate the shots,
because Keith looks so hurt that his idol is berating him, but if someone runs an "all dates" search
they'd probably find them for anyone interested ... ah here they are: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 23:29 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 26, 2013 01:20

But someone found the story of Keith's accident rather amusing....>grinning smiley<

[From the link with sssoul posted above, put there originally by open g]

- Doxa

Date: November 26, 2013 01:34

But damn that "Worried Bout You" video is amazing. Not remember noticing the black eye earlier (thanks Redhotcarpet!). Keith Richards is one cool dude... not many making a video with a black eye from Chuck Berry, historical...thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 26, 2013 01:48

1965? 1972? Which was it? Must have been some punch if it only started to blacken in 1981!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:01

^ Keith was falling down a lot in those days, often face first. He tells the story of how his nose came to be crooked: He'd been up for 10 days straight, then he just fell forward--into a coffee table.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:07

I wonder if that "black eye" in 1981 was delivered by Ron "speedball" wood instead. During that period, I think Keith and Ron exchanged punches.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:14

Mathijs
Redhotcarpet
roundnround

Check out Keiths eye.

That's funny, never seen that. Seems the black eye story is real!

Mathijs

Weren't those Tattoo You promos filmed on the same day or over two days? I don't recall his eye like that in SMU or Hang Fire.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:16

with sssoul
bradl
I was there that night ...

Way cool, bradl - thanks for posting that.
I posted a couple of photos of the incident once, under duress - I hate the shots,
because Keith looks so hurt that his idol is berating him, but if someone runs an "all dates" search
they'd probably find them for anyone interested ... ah here they are: [www.iorr.org]

Many thanks with sssoul for posting the link to those sad, sad pictures. Gotta admit they do make me a little teary-eyed. Poor, poor, Keith....sniff. sad smiley

Date: November 26, 2013 02:24

Gazza
1965? 1972? Which was it? Must have been some punch if it only started to blacken in 1981!

Well, Chuck is the man...

I somehow got the impression of Woodie's stories that it took around the time he was living in New York, and then Berry afterwards accidently apologized from him... since Wood was involved, it was much later than 1962 or 1972... But that's just hasty guessing from my side, and those Ronnie's stories altogether, who knows... I'd love to think that the black eye is from Berry...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: November 26, 2013 02:30

tomk

Weren't those Tattoo You promos filmed on the same day or over two days? I don't recall his eye like that in SMU or Hang Fire.

I don't know, but I'd love to think that after shooting "Waiting On A Friend" Richards spent a helluva night in town (well, they were in pub already), and then they shooted "Worried" next day...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home