Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Chuck Berry kicked of Keith from stage 1972! What happened?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:37

tomk
Mathijs
Redhotcarpet
roundnround
Is this the same incident when Chuck supposedly gave Keith a black eye? I thought I read that Chuck later apologized to Ronnie Wood, thinking he was Keith...

Check out Keiths eye.

That's funny, never seen that. Seems the black eye story is real!

Mathijs

Weren't those Tattoo You promos filmed on the same day or over two days? I don't recall his eye like that in SMU or Hang Fire.

Three days, per nzentgraf.de - June 30 to July 2nd

The WAY video was shot the same day as Hang Fire and Start Me Up (30th June), Neighhbours on 1st July and WOAF on July 2nd

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:39

The always handy timeisonourside.com offers the following info:

June 1981: Keith Richards checks out Chuck Berry perform at The Ritz in New York City. He visits him backstage and gets punched in the eye by Berry, who mistakes him for an eager fan.

June 30, 1981: The Rolling Stones shoot straight studio-performance video clips in New York City for Start Me Up, Hang Fire and Worried About You.

July 1, 1981: The Rolling Stones shoot a more complex video clip for Neighbors at the Taft Hotel in New York City.

July 2, 1981: The Rolling Stones shoot a video clip for Waiting on a Friend on the streets of Greenwich Village and at St. Marks Bar in New York City, where they also jam on the bar stage.

It's Berry's! (but seemingly used enough make up for the other videos...)

- Doxa

Date: November 26, 2013 02:44

And more research:

Chuck Berry played

25.06.81 - New York, NY - The Ritz

So it's five days old punch!

- Doxa

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 26, 2013 02:57

Seriously? Berry mistook him for an eager fan? And threw him offstage claiming he didn't recognize him? Did anybody think to introduce those two?! Or did Chuck just need new glasses?

Date: November 26, 2013 03:22

Well, according to Ronnie's story - and suddenly I find him surprisingly trustworthy! - Chuck thought Keith is going to steal his money:

'I have many a story about Chuck, especially when I lived in New York.

'I used to play with him quite a lot, and he’d always have to have the money up front in his guitar case and he’d leap straight from the stage with the guitar case full of money, throw it offstage and into the cab

'Once Keith was there in the audience and Chuck came off stage and Keith ran up behind him, tapped him on the shoulder, at which Chuck turned round and went whack and smashed Keith in the eye, gave him a big black eye.

'He said "What you do that for? I was only trying to say hello, Chuck"'.It could have been the start of a nasty fight between the pair, but instead, Wood said, Richards, 68, was 'proud' of the black eye.

[DailyMail]

Anyways, if you look how rough Keith looked at the time (those videos), no wonder one could make a mistake...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-26 03:22 by Doxa.

Date: November 26, 2013 03:50

Crikey. What a weird relationship between those two!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 26, 2013 03:58

One would think there was some pre-show communication, e.g. "Chuck, Keith Richards, world famous Rolling Stone, would like to sit in. Is that cool with you?"

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: November 26, 2013 17:16

MKjan
Is it true Chuck didn't know who it was?

Of course Chuck knew it was Keith Richards. The guy was instantly recognizeable.

Date: November 26, 2013 17:18

Doxa

June 1981: Keith Richards checks out Chuck Berry perform at The Ritz in New York City. He visits him backstage and gets punched in the eye by Berry, who mistakes him for an eager fan.

LOL total BS.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 26, 2013 17:19

30th June: New York City Shooting of promofilms. Director: Michael Lindsay Hogg.
- Hang Fire
- Start Me Up
- Worried About You

1st July: New York City, Taft Hotel. Shooting of a promofilm. Director: Michael
Lindsay Hogg.
- Neighbours

2nd July: New York City, St. Marks Bar & streets of East Village.
Shooting of a promo film. Director: Michael Lindsay Hogg.
- Waiting On A Friend

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: November 26, 2013 18:39

Chuck tells the story. go to 1:40

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 02:04 by TDive25.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 26, 2013 18:42

Oh yeah - Keith said he's been thrown off that stage many times. Anyone know how many?

I mean, other than the one time?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 26, 2013 19:26

Youngie
MKjan

Of course Chuck knew it was Keith Richards. The guy was instantly recognizeable.
It's a guitarist thing, many of us have this angry Montgomery Clift thing going on. My girlfriend now wife got me punched in the face by Dickey Betts for my birthday present long ago, that's why I married her..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-26 19:27 by DoomandGloom.

Date: November 26, 2013 20:53

DoomandGloom
guitarist thing, many of us have this angry Montgomery Clift thing going on. My girlfriend now wife got me punched in the face by Dickey Betts for my birthday present long ago, that's why I married her..

Lucky you! Wonder how she managed that?

Anyway I guess Chuck Berry didn't want to be "upstaged" by Keef.

Chuck Berry was a pretty good guitarist - Richards was way better (IMO) and Berry knew it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-26 20:54 by Youngie.

Date: November 26, 2013 20:57

GasLightStreet
Oh yeah - Keith said he's been thrown off that stage many times. Anyone know how many?

It'd be kinda hard to throw Keith off stage.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 26, 2013 22:28

GasLightStreet

No times other than that one.
But that one time was worth ten of any ordinary off-throwing.

Posted by: fela ()
Date: November 26, 2013 23:22

from the book "Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia The Rolling Stones A-Z" by Sue Weiner and Lisa Howard

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 27, 2013 00:16

Youngie
DoomandGloom
guitarist thing, many of us have this angry Montgomery Clift thing going on. My girlfriend now wife got me punched in the face by Dickey Betts for my birthday present long ago, that's why I married her..

Lucky you! Wonder how she managed that?

Chuck Berry was a pretty good guitarist - Richards was way better (IMO) and Berry knew it!
Kind of hard to rate as who's better. There's no one better than Chuck and there's no one better than Keith, even these days when they're kind of ragged, you just can not deny their greatness. Both invented styles that are forever copied, have written perfect songs and are the epiphany of rock and roll...

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 27, 2013 00:35

DoomandGloom
Youngie
MKjan

It's a guitarist thing, many of us have this angry Montgomery Clift thing going on. My girlfriend now wife got me punched in the face by Dickey Betts for my birthday present long ago, that's why I married her..

Dickie Betts pulled a knife on my cousin. Circa 1986 when he was road manager for the Allman Brothers. I doubt he was the only one Dickie did this too or that you were the only one he punched

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 27, 2013 00:51

fela
from the book "Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia The Rolling Stones A-Z" by Sue Weiner and Lisa Howard

Thanks, I meant those of course.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 27, 2013 00:52

with sssoul
bradl
I was there that night ...

Way cool, bradl - thanks for posting that.
I posted a couple of photos of the incident once, under duress - I hate the shots,
because Keith looks so hurt that his idol is berating him, but if someone runs an "all dates" search
they'd probably find them for anyone interested ... ah here they are: [www.iorr.org]

Fantastic! Thanks, great pics. Rare.

Date: November 27, 2013 00:52

Damn, Ronnie's lucky HE didn't get punched! Chuck: "You again!" POP!

I was at the Ronnie/Chuck show and Chuck seemed to genuinely enjoy Keith, er, Ronnie.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 27, 2013 01:01

Yes, Chuck does seem to get names and faces confused. Recall in the movie Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll during the concert clips toward the end how when after Julian Lennon had joined them onstage Chuck introduced him to the audience as John Lennon. Then, quickly realizing his mistake, "Julian Lennon ladies and gentlemen!" Then, turning to Julian with his arm around his shoulders said to him, "Hey, say hi to your dad!" And this was 1986.

Date: November 27, 2013 01:26

stonehearted
Yes, Chuck does seem to get names and faces confused. Recall in the movie Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll during the concert clips toward the end how when after Julian Lennon had joined them onstage Chuck introduced him to the audience as John Lennon. Then, quickly realizing his mistake, "Julian Lennon ladies and gentlemen!" Then, turning to Julian with his arm around his shoulders said to him, "Hey, say hi to your dad!" And this was 1986.

And Julian said "I will"! Julian's complete name is "John Charles Julian Lennon" and Chuck did call him "Julian" a couple of times so maybe Chuck said that intentionally? Also have to take into account the title of the song they sang.

Nice solo by Keith in that one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 01:54 by bleedingman.

Date: November 27, 2013 09:35

bleedingman
Damn, Ronnie's lucky HE didn't get punched! Chuck: "You again!" POP!

Date: November 27, 2013 13:41

Youngie

From miles and decades past, it looks like an "ego" thing. I don't think the fear of Richards "upstaging" him had anything to do with his superior guitarist skills, but just his status and name as a Rolling Stone. And Keith at the time was not yet another legendary leric from the past but an idol from still one of the hottest pop bands of the day. Surely Keith wasn't trying to 'upstage' his biggest idol ever, but what can he do for being who he is... Some years later when Keith toured with Ronnie's New Barbarians, he was seemingly was very awere of similar problem, when asked about it. People came to see him and not Ronnie's band. (And funnily, even today, his possible presence seemed to shadow to an extent Ronnie's and Taylor's great Jimmy Reed gigs).

Anyway, one could ask from Slash how an old maestro might react, if one is suggesting - probably just out of respect and from the will of being helpfull - for adding a solo to his recording when is visiting the studio... I guess Slash and Keith then were like Keith and Berry in 1972. cool smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 13:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 1, 2014 22:53

Sorry for reactivate this (semi) old thread, but today I was reading some clippings His Majesty made available for us some time ago, and I found this NME review, published on their 12 february 1972 edition. It's an interesting read, I think. Thanks again, HM! smileys with beer

Date: February 2, 2014 13:19

Youngie
Doxa

LOL total BS.
I

I don't see this as BS at all. Chuck berry has always been the real deal. He doesnt concern himself with star gazing. This is the impression I have always gotten from him. And for him not to INSTANTLY recognize Keith makes sense to me. Especially since we know that he later confused Ron and Keith. Maybe all those skinny spike haired white rockn rollers, that cop his licks all blend together; players and fans alike.

Date: February 2, 2014 15:21

Beware, Keith, Chuck's fist is on its way again...

- Doxa

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 2, 2014 15:43

To make this thread even more shambolic >grinning smiley< here's our two hot-blooded lovebirds together onstage :

860606A 1986 6th June: CHUCK BERRY. Chicago, Illinois, Grant Park, ‘Annual Blues Festival’.
- Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry)
- It Hurts Me Too (Hudson Whittaker)
- Reelin’ And Rockin’ (Chuck Berry)
Line-up: KR (gtr)/Chuck Berry (gtr, voc)/Matt 'Guitar' Murphy (gtr)/& others

Link : [www50.zippyshare.com]
Source : a Dime torrent "A JRD ANALOG MASTER KRW_CO TRANSFER"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-02 16:23 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1347
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home