Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
News about touring next year...
Date: October 27, 2010 17:27

Hey together,

Keith gave an interesting interview about touring next year and his new book to the german magazine "Stern" - you'll find it here:
[www.stern.de]

I would be very happy, if that is true drinking smiley!!!

Re: News about touring next year...
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 27, 2010 18:01

damn i want stadiums.

but they could soothe me with 1 week 7 shows at berlin o2 arena. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: October 27, 2010 18:12

For those non-german speaking readers here in the www:

Keith tells the "stern", that the stones have "itchy fingers" and that they will do something together, but no big stadiums, rather smaller indoor venues for several days until they get kicked out.

Seems to me the same idea Michael Jackson had with those 50 London-gigs. Hopefully this is no portentwinking smiley!

CR

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 27, 2010 18:46

>>but they could soothe me with 1 week 7 shows at berlin o2 arena.<<

now that would be friggin' awesome as I live a stone throw away from it.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: October 27, 2010 20:08

ARENA'S are always better than giant stadiums with horrible sound. 1999 was a short US arena tour - NO SECURITY - and it kicked ass. My last Stones live show after 30 years of Arena and Stadium shows (beginning on Nov.8th 1969 at the LA forum - still the best Stones concert I ever saw. 1975 wasn't bad either) Criss Cross Mind

LEAST WE FORGET - "CRISS CROSS MIND" - Brilliant GHS Outtake

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 27, 2010 20:32

stoneswashed77
damn i want stadiums.

but they could soothe me with 1 week 7 shows at berlin o2 arena. smiling bouncing smiley

I would spend my vacation in Berlin for 3 weeks going to Stones consert in smaller places every single day if that was the case and they should play music like "Criss Cross Man".

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: October 28, 2010 03:27

Vaaaaamossssssss!!!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: October 28, 2010 03:42

This is KEEF WEEK! Loving all the interviews, pulling the TV ones up on my DVR and watching whenever I want. My family has been told "Not to Delete"...or else!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 28, 2010 04:19

muenke

Keith tells the "stern", that the stones have "itchy fingers" and that they will do something together, but no big stadiums, rather smaller indoor venues for several days until they get kicked out.

Nice idea in principle, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Unless they drop their guaranteed demands, multi nights in arenas are a non starter because they mean an even higher average ticket price than what they'd be asking for one night in a stadium.

They could probably do it in New York, Tokyo, LA and London - but it's a lot to ask of 20,000 people to pay an average of, say, $300 for more than one arena show in pretty much any other city. And even in the ones mentioned above, it would be a stretch for them to play more than about 3 in the same 'run' anywhere

A way that they got around this last time was to 'stagger' multiple nights with a gap of about 4-6 months between gigs in the same city to allow the local 'market' the chance to recover.

Keith always makes very honourable statements before a tour about scaling down the stages, playing small rooms and emphasising how its all about the music - when it comes down to it, though, the profit margins always take priority, and he always goes along with it.

The biggest factor on whether or not the Stones can plan something different for their next tour is the amount of money that they demand from any would-be promoter for a show. If your hoping to gross, say, $4 million a show and you're wanting to play nothing but arenas, thats a hell of a big risk on a promoter's part if he only has 15,000 tickets to sell.

If they can have the wit to see that things have changed for most of the planet in the last four years and ask less money for tickets, then they could conceivably do a series of multi night arena shows in most major cities. And as a concept it would be an excellent one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 04:26 by Gazza.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 28, 2010 04:46

Good. Now they're talking. Stadiums suck. been there, done that. There are no more pleasures awaiting me watching the Stones in a 60,000 seat football stadium. If that's what they do I'll wait for the DVD, and maybe not even that, as I already have 27 live versions of JJF.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 28, 2010 05:23

Oh Gazza , you are the voice of reason - but can't you let us dream a bubble or two?

.............................unfortunately, I believe your're right once again.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 28, 2010 05:41

the licks tour arrangement was nice theater, stadium ,arena but the prices would have to be much more reasonable for it to work this time

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 28, 2010 05:45

Well that's nice that Keith has hopes for a different tour. But what does the all powerful Mick and Michael Cohl have to say? Another story, I'm sure. Hey Keith, you do know that if you intend to do multi-night shows in each city that you're gonna actually have to LEARN a bunch more songs besides "Jumping Jack Flash" right?

I have low hopes that the Stones' army will change their course of direction. When a new tour is announced I fully expect the proceedings to be business as usual.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 28, 2010 06:15

Hey Keith, if yer really gonna think that yer gonna play multiple nights in one place, ya better learn how ta play that guitar much better than the last tour and drop the 'glad to be here, glad to be anywhere' schlock - especially if yer gonna be in duh same place for several nights.

Vegas, here come the Stones. Charlie's dream has been to always have a residential gig anyway.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 28, 2010 12:10

I totally agree with you Gazza

Renting venues and playing "only" every 2 nights costs much.
Touring at the ages of over 65 probably costs a lot insurancewise too.
Finding well-paying sponsors is also tough in these days of crisis.

If the Stones want to earn as much money as before, this tour will take place with tickets between $120 and $600. For Europe, say approx from €95 to €450, which is way too much.

The Rolling Stones do not NEED to tour, and I would not like to see them on stage being the shadow of the magnificent band they used to be.
That's why I hope that they will only tour if they are sure they can still deliver properly. All of them.
If it is the case, I'll be there.

If not, it is time to open the vaults, and stay on top forever, without anything to prove to anybody. There are so many things they can release without much effort.

With outtakes and deluxe versions nicely packaged and decently priced, they can have huge successes, since the true fans are the only people still buying records.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 28, 2010 12:30

stop dreaming.
They will play or tons of people in big sized arenas !!
Jeggers eyes show dollar signs already.
sorry, but thats the way it will go
jeroen

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 28, 2010 13:13

stoneswashed77
damn i want stadiums.

the best thing they can do is downsize and stay in a city and play smaller venues!!!

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: October 28, 2010 13:32

IF (big IF) this is true, I'd almost kill to see them in Toronto's Massey Hall.Saw the Winos there and it was sheer bliss.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 28, 2010 14:02

This IS great news. Dunno if it's true, but I sure hope so.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 28, 2010 16:37

DONE DEAL

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: October 28, 2010 16:54

Ready for a new tour anytime!

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Date: October 28, 2010 17:31

mickscarey
DONE DEAL

We've known that about you for a long time. Why do you keep hyping it?

Date: October 28, 2010 17:35

Until it is said otherwise, there is no reason to believe they will tour next year at this point. And I do indeed find it difficult to believe they will play something other than stadiums and the odd arena. Back in 1994 it cost a hundred grand a day to rent the Louisiana Superdome for the Stones. It took them three days for that once Voodoo Lounge stop. In regards to ticket sales for that show, the Stones sucked on that show very very hard and lost a ton of money.

I don't see them coming to New Orleans ever again because nobody down here cares for the Stones like that because there is such great music available in New Orleans all the time. Why pay a huge amount of money to get a sub-par show when one can pay a small amount of money and get fantastic shows? That is how it works in New Orleans.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: October 28, 2010 17:44

Gazza
muenke

Nice idea in principle, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Unless they drop their guaranteed demands, multi nights in arenas are a non starter because they mean an even higher average ticket price than what they'd be asking for one night in a stadium.

They could probably do it in New York, Tokyo, LA and London - but it's a lot to ask of 20,000 people to pay an average of, say, $300 for more than one arena show in pretty much any other city. And even in the ones mentioned above, it would be a stretch for them to play more than about 3 in the same 'run' anywhere

A way that they got around this last time was to 'stagger' multiple nights with a gap of about 4-6 months between gigs in the same city to allow the local 'market' the chance to recover.

Keith always makes very honourable statements before a tour about scaling down the stages, playing small rooms and emphasising how its all about the music - when it comes down to it, though, the profit margins always take priority, and he always goes along with it.

The biggest factor on whether or not the Stones can plan something different for their next tour is the amount of money that they demand from any would-be promoter for a show. If your hoping to gross, say, $4 million a show and you're wanting to play nothing but arenas, thats a hell of a big risk on a promoter's part if he only has 15,000 tickets to sell.

If they can have the wit to see that things have changed for most of the planet in the last four years and ask less money for tickets, then they could conceivably do a series of multi night arena shows in most major cities. And as a concept it would be an excellent one.
But the ticket prices would not necessarily have to be higher. Can you imagine how much money they'd save on not having to send three over sized stages on 72 trucks all over the continent! A smaller, cheaper arena production... Fewer mouths to feed, no need for backstage arrangements, (hospitality, canteens, lounges for every musician etc) because they could use their nearby hotels, and perhaps they'd want to take over more responsability themselves - without the involvement of that guy you've seen naked winking smiley and keep more of the proceeds themselves...
They would have to give priority to markets who still have a strong economy, low unemployment and a stable situation - if they want to take the risk. And I think they might want to do just that. Anyway - we'll know later. Any Stones-tour is a welcome event. I'll go. Hah - surprise. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-28 17:49 by Addicted.

Date: October 28, 2010 18:01

skipstone
mickscarey
DONE DEAL

We've known that about you for a long time. Why do you keep hyping it?

What is it you are asking dear?

Date: October 28, 2010 18:08

I'm not telling.

Date: October 28, 2010 18:15

you so cute dear

Posted by: R ()
Date: October 28, 2010 18:36

I'm guessing 4-5 nights each in NYC, Chicago, Vegas and, perhaps, LA. Same thing in London, Munich and Paris. The Stones are at a point that they are a destination, like a tourist hot-spot. Their audience is mostly well-heeled enough to go to the band rather than the band come to them. Hell,many of us have been doing it for years anyway.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 28, 2010 18:56

munich???? i mean nyc, chicago, vegas, la, london, paris and munich?

do you know the game one of these things is not like the others.

i vote for berlin and would position it right after nyc.

Date: October 28, 2010 20:13

The Stones have done multiple dates at Giants and Shea Stadium in the past. I can just imagine it:

NY Mets Manager: You want to have our stadium for 10 days?

Mick: Well, it might be the last tour, we dunno.

NY Mets Manager: Ahhh, Mick, ahhh, I dunno. That's...let me check the schedule.

Mick: I'm sure it's no problem. Even if you're playing at home you might as well not bother because you're just gonna lose anyway. At least this way the stadium will be full for once. If you want we can just go ahead and schedule it for October since you won't make the playoffs anyway.

NY Mets Manager: Eh, heh, Mick, ahhhh, I dunno if I like the sound of that.

Mick: We'll give you 100% of concession sales.

NY Mets Manager: That's better than what we get. Done deal.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home