Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: News about touring next year...
Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 28, 2010 22:40

geesehhhhhhhhhh

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 28, 2010 22:57

Addicted
But the ticket prices would not necessarily have to be higher. Can you imagine how much money they'd save on not having to send three over sized stages on 72 trucks all over the continent! A smaller, cheaper arena production... Fewer mouths to feed, no need for backstage arrangements, (hospitality, canteens, lounges for every musician etc) because they could use their nearby hotels, and perhaps they'd want to take over more responsability themselves - without the involvement of that guy you've seen naked winking smiley and keep more of the proceeds themselves...

You mean like the 'stripped down' No Security arena tour in '99 had lower prices despite less overheads than the stadium tours they'd done to that point? That didnt quite work out!

What you've said makes perfect sense in theory. Thats not how it happens in reality, though. The prices dont 'have to be higher', but they are. Every time.

Addicted

They would have to give priority to markets who still have a strong economy, low unemployment and a stable situation - if they want to take the risk. And I think they might want to do just that. Anyway - we'll know later. Any Stones-tour is a welcome event. I'll go. Hah - surprise. cool smiley

They can play arenas in markets where they can easily get their guarantee by charging a higher than average ticket price - ie, a far higher % of the audience will be paying $500 a ticket for an arena show in New York than they would in, say, Minneapolis. An arena show in an 'A Market' city can make bigger profits than a stadium show in a 'C market' city.

The reason why so few cities got arena shows last time was mainly because most promoters would have such small profit margins had they not done stadiums instead.

You're correct I think about concentrating on major markets. Which is why I think the next tour will be shorter than most previous ones (in terms of numbers of shows) and will play less cities. For that reason, I'll be surprised if they play too many shows outside the US, Canada, Western Europe and Japan.

I'll see you again during it at some point, I'm sure ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-29 00:55 by Gazza.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: October 29, 2010 01:52

Daniel Nienkemper
Hey together,

Keith gave an interesting interview about touring next year and his new book to the german magazine "Stern" - you'll find it here:
[www.stern.de]

I would be very happy, if that is true drinking smiley!!!

Arena tours? They must be listening in after all!

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: October 29, 2010 02:04

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO smaller venues!!!!!!!! smiling smiley

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Date: October 29, 2010 02:12

stateofshock
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO smaller venues!!!!!!!! smiling smiley

It's going to happen and we can pat ourselves on the back for this one! With this kind of momentum we may just get the album we have been wishing for! Heck, they might even feature it on the next tour! Warhorses be gone! Well, at least a few less.

Date: October 29, 2010 02:20

open-g
Oh Gazza , you are the voice of reason - but can't you let us dream a bubble or two?

Gazza has to be wrong at least once a year just to prove he is human! Our dreams will be soon be realized beyond our wildest expectations. Now it's time for Stonescrow to head south for the winter! See you all in the spring, or as Josey Wales once said, "maybe the following spring"! Keep the faith, there is magic in the air.

.............................unfortunately, I believe your're right once again.

Date: October 29, 2010 02:51

R
I'm guessing 4-5 nights each in NYC, Chicago, Vegas and, perhaps, LA. Same thing in London, Munich and Paris. The Stones are at a point that they are a destination, like a tourist hot-spot. Their audience is mostly well-heeled enough to go to the band rather than the band come to them. Hell,many of us have been doing it for years anyway.

The Stones could barely fill 3 nights in London last time at the biggest arena in Europe, even though it was their only shows in the UK.

When they played the likes of NYC, LA, Chicago, they could fill a couple of nights - and then would add a return visit months later. It was more of a hard sell last time than ever before.

4-5 nights in a city also means them staying there for at least 10 days. A big ask for a road trip for even the 'well heeled'

Date: October 29, 2010 02:52

skipstone
The Stones have done multiple dates at Giants and Shea Stadium in the past..

Not since 1997, though. In the pre-price explosion era.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 29, 2010 16:33

Gazza
skipstone
The Stones have done multiple dates at Giants and Shea Stadium in the past..

Not since 1997, though. In the pre-price explosion era.

And back when it was at the very tale end of 'when it mattered'.

I doubt the Stones could do 2 nights anywhere now with both shows sold out (or even with free tickets). They've done too much. And people know they're old now. It might be five years since A Bigger Bang came out but it doesn't seem that long ago to me for some reason. And the tour just ended 3 years ago!

Date: October 29, 2010 16:38

Wronmg. 5 nights in Mad Sq Garden would sell out instantly

Date: October 29, 2010 16:41

Nahhhh. Won't happen.

Date: October 29, 2010 16:41

Well, the Garden - possibly. But not a stadium.

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: October 29, 2010 16:48

my guess it will be like the stripped tour,,, which IMHO was very good show to go see,,,

if they do arena tour again (which i doubt) but if so,, need to be more like 81 with a couple good headliners, more the all day party atmosphere,, may not have been there best live sets,, but was sure alot of fun,,, but then again people dont party at concerts anymore, come 15mins late,, sit on there hands, leave 15mins early

Date: October 29, 2010 16:59

5 Garden; 3 Vegas; 5 Chicago; 5 LA; etc

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: November 1, 2010 17:51

Gazza
R

The Stones could barely fill 3 nights in London last time at the biggest arena in Europe, even though it was their only shows in the UK.

Don't forget that the Stones did Stadium shows the year before in UK and the hard core fans are limited to pay 150£ plus fee every year and several times. The most crucial thing is how they sell the tickets these days. They start eventually with a couple of hundred expensive seats and less cheap ones and slowly release more and more tickets after some weeks. I was able to get 5th, 6th and 7th row at the O2 which I never dreamed of about 10 weeks prior to the show. But it's unfair to those who spend hours trying to get the best tickets while ticketsellers hold back tickets to sell them via third channels at an exhorbitant price.

Date: November 1, 2010 18:23

10 Mad Sq garden?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home